Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck and enjoy it J - you've earned a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'll join the chorus here and wish you all the best at the weekend.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
    Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl

....and may you break the three hours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes. But jaysis it's only Tuesday yet! My nerves will be shot by Thursday at this rate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Saturday Morning the mission begins. But I'll have my pre race rant don't worry! ;)

May I just make you aware that I will be in Limerick on May 5th to return the favour! :pac:

Hey buddy, you better make sure you hit sub 3 before me or your motivation won't be worth a sssshhhheeeeiiiiittttt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Jaysus its race week :eek::eek: Just wanted to wish you the best of luck for Sunday, can't wait to read all about it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

guinnes-believe.png

Best of luck out there. You need to take the Big 3 down to give the rest of us hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

So we all feel a personal investment for you to get a 29min 21 sec PB to go Sub 3 for only your 2nd Marathon after talking up running 'seriously' a year ago.
    No pressure like!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stay calm, don't go crazy before or in the first few miles, and trust your training and results so far - you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck on Sunday. Looking forward to the report.

Best of luck on Sunday J

All the hard work done, this is the easy part!

And remember, if you quit on this one, you'll have to listen to me banging on about how crappy p&d is compared to my wonderfully flexible Makey upey plan.

So really the credibility of P&D rests on your shoulders ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday J

All the hard work done, this is the easy part!

And remember, if you quit on this one, you'll have to listen to me banging on about how crappy p&d is compared to my wonderfully flexible Makey upey plan.

So really the credibility of P&D rests on your shoulders ;)

Well if that isn't motivation enough I don't know what is. The very best of luck out there J.

I still think you should be concentrating on the junior cert, especially after the mock results:eek:**, but sure it'll be grand:p.

** After seeing the maths results I'm not so sure our blocky has been doing miles as fast as he thought, more like 10 minute ones methinks:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I was going to say good luck ...... but I don't think you need luck ;) so have a ball and if you're going to get stoned.......wait till after the race :D

So it’s finally arrived...Marathon Week!!! Gaaah! :eek:

Monday
    Rest

Bouncing off walls here. I’m akin to a greyhound in a starting cage with about 20 hares roaming around outside it. I can’t handle this taper business not letting me run, I need to burn off excess energy some way! What the hell did I do before running? This week needs to hurry up. :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    6.2 miles recovery / 8:35 average pace

Tuesday was all about not thinking about pounding the road but focusing completely on getting my head right for Sunday and sorting out my mental thoughts. After ingraining some positivism into my brain I came back with a much better mindset about the task that lay ahead. I just need to run a smart and sensible race and ensuring I’ve all the controllables down to a tee and the deserved time will come. That is all I can do. :)

Wednesday
    8 miles easy / 7:30 average pace (incl. 2m @PMP)

Popped out last night for the dress rehearsal run. Nice to give the legs a final feel for marathon pace even if it was only 2 miles. Legs not as fresh as I would like but hopefully another few days of rest will sort that out.

3 miles easy
    2 miles @PMP (6:47, 6:48)
    3 miles easy

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:24 average pace

One last loop tonight at recovery pace. Legs feeling fresher. Going was a bit fast but I’m an eager beaver now to get going!

So there you have it. My Rotterdam mission started at the dawn of the new year and now here I am with a target (2:5X), a far cry from what I initially set out with (3:15) and even just 3 months ago I would never have thought it was remotely possible. It just shows what a bit of free time, getting my ass off the couch, insanity :pac: and a bit of consistency can do. Just a small little matter left of trying to pull it off!

Think I only missed 2 runs on this marathon cycle which comprised of 75 runs totaling 84 hours and 640 miles of slogging through dark nights, early mornings (I joke :pac:), cold, WIND and rain! All that’s left now is for the fat lady to sing, or more accurately, the Rotterdam cannon to fire!!!

Thanks a million to everyone for the support and good luck, these will drive me on next Sunday when the going gets tough, and I’m under no illusions, the going WILL get tough!! Just need ye all to do one last thing, keep the fingers and toes crossed for clouds and cool weather! :( First time I’ve probably wished for rain going away!

Bring....it....on..!! :D

Channels 901+ on sky should sort out your taper frustration ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

blockic wrote: »

I need to burn off excess energy some way!

Just a small little matter left of trying to pull it off!

I'll get my coat....... :eek::D;)

Go and break that 3 mark and show me how it's done!!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'll get my coat....... :eek::D;)

Go and break that 3 mark and show me how it's done!!

Nice!!

You go concentrate on beating your woman.....

Beat her well enuf that it'll slow her down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck blockic, you deserve this after all the good work..

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck on Sunday blocky hope it all goes to plan for you

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of luck on Sunday J, all the hard work is done now,the weight of P&D converts is on your back ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Gavlor wrote: »
    Channels 901+ on sky should sort out your taper frustration ;)

I have to agree with the dirty aul geezer!

Best of luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck on Sunday. Your training has been rock solid. You're in great shape to break that sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best of luck on Sunday blockic! U will do amazing , can't wait to hear how u get on n read all about it! Go show em how its done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So i come in to your log to wish you good luck and leave with the need to look up self defence classes, find out where i can purchase pepper spray and book into a women's refuge!!
    :):D

Very best of luck on Sunday - i hope it all goes well and you get the results you deserve! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck! All the work is done. Great progress. Look forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Hope it all goes well for you on Sunday. Keep it nice and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You're in super shape Johnny - remember this is a celebration of all the hard work you've put in.
    Catch for carbs on Saturday.

This time tomorrow you'll officially be a better marathon runner than me :(

Make it happen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck today dude- go out and smash it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Should be approaching half way in the next 10-15 min. Hope all is on track.

• Advertisement

Bad news folks. No finishers medal, no PB, no sub 3. Collapsed at the last corner from heat exhaustion with 2:58 on the clock. Was touch and go for a while. A big shout out to the rotterdam locals and medical staff who were outstanding and so nice. A nice trip in an ambulance with sirens blaring was my afternoon. Absolutely gutted. At least I have a story. Will post full report next week once I gather my thoughts and see where to next. Thanks again for all your support.

Advertisement