Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

****e. Sorry to hear that J. Hope you're ok now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Devasted for you J.
    Hope you recover soon.

At the end of the day its just running. You'll be back stronger and faster and it gives you a something to put right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ah sh!te, sorry to hear that J. Seems like a tough day all round, the weather didn't do you any favours either. Chin up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

:(:(:(:(:(

So sorry to hear that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

So close. Sorry to hear that. Fair play for going for it I'm sure the heat was a killer. Especially with all the winter training to contrast. Next time. Chin up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

J so sorry to hear that, wishing you a speedy and full recovery and you'll be back to fight another day.....mind yourself over the next few days....

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Sorry to hear that J :-(:-(
    Gutted for you.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Bad news folks. No finishers medal, no PB, no sub 3. Collapsed at the last corner from heat exhaustion with 2:58 on the clock. Was touch and go for a while. A big shout out to the rotterdam locals and medical staff who were outstanding and so nice. A nice trip in an ambulance with sirens blaring was my afternoon. Absolutely gutted. At least I have a story. Will post full report next week once I gather my thoughts and see where to next. Thanks again for all your support.

Don't be gutted, that just shows how much effort you put into the Race. You had to be carried from the road.

You could not have prepared for freakish conditions like that considering the weather we've been having.

Take a couple of weeks off, from boards and running and come back fresher, stronger and ready to take your revenge out on Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

^^^you won't get much better advice than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Cr@p So sorry to hear that Blockic, sounds like an eventful day.
    Take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Today proves that J is capable of that sub 3 time. The heat and the heat alone undone him today. That's an inspiring run for someone so new to running. Congratulations are due as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gutted for you J but it sounds like there was nothing you could have done differently - just bad fortune. Take a break, recover and you'll be back better and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh God, you poor poor thing. I'm absolutely gutted for you. Just goes to show that no matter how well you prepare, Marathon can still come and kick you in the ass.

Hope you feel better soon. You're only a wee young fella, you've plenty of time to get that sub 3.

Please don't beat yourself up about it. Next time you'll come out stronger, fitter and wiser. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

That's terrible blockic, look after yourself it sounds like it was one of those days out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I was going to suggest drowning your sorrows with Mr Stew and BeepBeep but your body has been through enough today. Focus on recovery now, the medal, sub 3 and PB are naturally very important to you (and to all of us runners) but they mean nothing when compared with your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Oh man. I'm gutted. I've been dying to come on here and read about a sub 3. Would have put my a good few quid on you too if it came to it. Some days it comes together, and then there are these days.

To put things in perspective though, you came from a 3.28 first time marathon which was a super result, and within 6 months most on here believed you were sub 3 all the way today. That's some progress. I did 3.28 in Dublin this year, and honestly I've struggled to make significant improvements (though some of it through injury). If I was were you are now (not the ambulance part....I mean the running :) ) I'd be chuffed.

Next one will defo hold a sub 3 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."- Ursula Le Guin

God I'm sorry to hear that J. Just make sure to mind yourself and take it easy and recover strong.

Sometimes even when you do everything right, it just isn't your day. Such is life. You live and learn and fight another day. Head up.

Above is the quote that you started your log with and by God I don't think a quote was ever as appropriate as now.

Make a mug of tea and read the log back again, look the work rate and the support.....a bit of metal and a few numbers separated by colons pale in comparsion to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I'm just glad to hear you're alright! Way more important than a sub-three. Cruel way to end up, but you'll be back for plenty more cracks at this distance. Your training isn't going anywhere. Mind yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Have a read of killers log to cheer you up. If I recall correctly something similar happened to him and he came back with a vengeance next time around.

Chin up and mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Disappointed for you Blockic.It's all been said above and I hope you recover quickly from the physical aspect of today. Fantastic performance, Jesus there's the making of a movie in your story so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Aw jeez absolutely gutted for u, can't even imagine how u must b feeling but as all the others said, take comfort from the fact that ur log ...moving forward faster, has been a true inspiration to all us runners, n by god have u moved forward faster!!! Though I'm sure this eve u can't take much comfort from that n prob feel all the hard work is down the drain, but offcourse it's not, u WILL do it n all that effort will have been what helps u get there in the end. Scary stuff collapsing , hope medically u ok. Really really gutted for u, but as long as u ok that's the main thing! Take care, rest up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tough day for you and by the sounds of it you did remarkable well to be still on target so far into the race, most others had long dropped off the pace or dropped out. Take confidence from that.

Take time out now, have a few beers and regroup. Don't let the training go to waste though. I know you have an entry for Cork. 2 months is plenty of time to recover ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just looked at the temp in Rotterdam right now. Still 22 C at 8pm....don't even wanna think about how hot it must have been on the course in the middle of the race. Couple that with training exclusively in the coldest March and zero heat acclimatisation and you have a recipe for a seriously s%£ty day. Tough luck man but the experience will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Way tough break man shades of Boston but that's marathon, take care you'll be right back.
    you've trained well and hard and this was still only take II

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear this ... but look take the time to recover, think hard about whether another go in two months is a good idea. You've given your body a hammering today. You know the sub3 is there for you - you proved that today. Recover and grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So gutted to hear that after all the training and hard work. Heartbreaking stuff. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Having trained in 1 extreme (coldest March on record) to racing in another you did amazingly well and couldn't have possibly done anymore. Get yourself rested and recovered and you will have a serious marathon score to settle. It will make your inevitable sub 3 all the sweeter when it does happen. (in Cork ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks everyone. Makes the bitter pill a little easier to swallow. 500 metres, so near and yet so far.

Feeling much better today. Pretty much back to normal. All the medical checks were all clear yesterday so it was just the conditions. Totally outside my control. It was a mare for everyone so can take heart from that.

Will take another few days to see where to from here. Currently in Amsterdam glued to the Boston updates. Hope all the boardies have absolute blinders! Come on Digger and CL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thanks everyone. Makes the bitter pill a little easier to swallow. 500 metres, so near and yet so far.

Feeling much better today. Pretty much back to normal. All the medical checks were all clear yesterday so it was just the conditions. Totally outside my control. It was a mare for everyone so can take heart from that.

Will take another few days to see where to from here. Currently in Amsterdam glued to the Boston updates. Hope all the boardies have absolute blinders! Come on Digger and CL!

.......If only they hadn't extended it all those years ago so the bloody Royal Family could have a look at the runners whizz by.

Seriously though, if you got that close in such terrible conditions then you're going to absolutely smash it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

WARNING: Race Report follows. Probably best that the London Marathoners here don't read this until after their race! It contains all the drama and details!

Advertisement