Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Serious running dude, i take my hat off to you. Gladly buy you a pint when we eventually meet. I'm considering doing the Strawberry Half in May, its kind of down your part of the world, suppose to be good PB course if your interested. Although if you do run i'll be trailing in your dust!!

Cheers, great day all in all. Suprised myself. I could be gone stateside in May. But if not, definitely on for it.

If I wont be around, we can always head for a round of golf before I depart!
    win-win situation!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Cheers, great day all in all. Suprised myself. I could be gone stateside in May. But if not, definitely on for it.

Oh golf, forgot you played! Gladly pay a trip to Kilkenny to play a round. We'll sort something out. Well done today again, only to be 26 again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

jaysus ye are golfers as well, nearly afraid to ask what handicaps!

upthe19th wrote: »

jaysus ye are golfers as well, nearly afraid to ask what handicaps!

With a name upthe19th you must hit a ball to, or your a complete p!sshead!!

With a name upthe19th you must hit a ball to, or your a complete p!sshead!!

I do tang. Its on the back boiler at the moment with the running. Barely a round a week and thats a huge turn around for me.

• Advertisement

I do tang. Its on the back boiler at the moment with the running. Barely a round a week and thats a huge turn around for me.

6 rounds in past 11 months here, two yrs ago i was playing 4 times a week!! Running is more addictive.

6 rounds in past 11 months here, two yrs ago i was playing 4 times a week!! Running is more addictive.

couldn't agree more my man. that said i finally made single figures this year cos i reckon i didn't expect it and wasn't trying to force it. will play more again when the knees are shagged:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well done Blockic, great to read such a positive report. ;)

The planned 2 ball has become a 3 ball! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good to meet up with you yesterday blockic & hopefully will see you at the end of January.
    My OH is down to work that weekend & informed me this morning that she has no annual leave left to take time off on that day :( but hopefully she can swap a shift with somone or worst case scenario I'll be there to cheer on everyone running on the day.

Well done again on your run,that was some performance & looked so fresh afterwards,theres obviously more room for improvement there;)

• Advertisement

The planned 2 ball has become a 3 ball! :)

oh great...i can get my ass handed to me at golf as well as running:)

oh great...i can get my ass handed to me at golf as well as running:)

There is no fear of that with the standard I am at anyway!

There is no fear of that with the standard I am at anyway!

Yeah, yeah, you said that about the running to!! Bandit i'd say!!

Sunday
    2 miles recovery / 9:23 average pace

Popped out this evening for a jog in the drizzle to loosen out the legs after yesterday’s race. Bit stiff but not too bad.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|3m|4m|2m|Rest|13.1m|2m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    24.1m|15.1m|541.45m

Hey blockic . I see you ran the Athlone ‘flatline’ Half-Marathon this year. What did you think of it. Considering it as one of my 3 HM's for next year.
    Thanks man.

Hey blockic . I see you ran the Athlone ‘flatline’ Half-Marathon this year. What did you think of it. Considering it as one of my 3 HM's for next year.
    Thanks man.

I didn't run it but am originally from the area. All i can tell you regards it is its as flat a half marathon you can run in Ireland. Blockic can help regards organisation etc.

Thanks man.

Great race, and as flat as you will get. No hills at all so a perfect PB course. It was it's first year but you could tell it was organised by runners, for runners. Race info and updates was excellent also.

Would definitely recommend it and I would be doing it myself if i was around. I'd say demand will be higher this year also. Be prepared to run through country bog roads though!:cool:

Might I also add that I ran 1:38 in an easier half than Waterford in Sept last year and ran this in 1:32. I will be expecting similar if not better from yourself!;)

Great race, and as flat as you will get. No hills at all so a perfect PB course. It was it's first year but you could tell it was organised by runners, for runners. Race info and updates was excellent also.

Would definitely recommend it and I would be doing it myself if i was around. I'd say demand will be higher this year also. Be prepared to run through country bog roads though!:cool:

Might I also add that I ran 1:38 in an easier half than Waterford in Sept last year and ran this in 1:32. I will be expecting similar if not better from yourself!;)

Great stuff, thanks for that. Should fit well with cork. Don't expect too much though fella!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great result Blockic. You're starting to put together some seriously decent times. I'm really looking forward to following your progress throughout the next year.

And you already need to revise those goals you have set for yourself. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations on a fantastic result:D
    Well done, a super achievement and I'd say there's lots more to come......

• Advertisement

guinang wrote: »
    Great result Blockic. You're starting to put together some seriously decent times. I'm really looking forward to following your progress throughout the next year.

And you already need to revise those goals you have set for yourself. Happy days

Thanks guinang, was happy with the performance alright, everything went perfect on the day. Best part about it was I felt grand after it. Reckon there is a couple more minutes in there for the next day.
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Congratulations on a fantastic result:D
    Well done, a super achievement and I'd say there's lots more to come......

Thanks Marthastew! Sure I'm attempting to chase your fresh marathon PB ;):) Hope you are enjoying the well deserved rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Blockic, congrats on a fab PB, thats some running. There is so much more to come off those times that this will definitely be one of the logs to follow next year! There'll be plenty of the Boardsie looking over their shoulders next year, and some watching you diappear into the distance, he he ;)

Keep up the good work!! :D

Younganne wrote: »
    Blockic, congrats on a fab PB, thats some running. There is so much more to come off those times that this will definitely be one of the logs to follow next year! There'll be plenty of the Boardsie looking over their shoulders next year, and some watching you diappear into the distance, he he ;)

Keep up the good work!! :D

Thanks Younganne for the support, appreciate it. Going well so far anyway. Sure didn't I learn from the best!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Younganne for the support, appreciate it. Going well so far anyway. Sure didn't I learn from the best!;)

ha ha, i'd never even get to look over the horizon at you, sure you'd be long gone!!!:D

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 3/6
    This one was tough going as the legs were still a bit stiff from Saturday. Focus was on leg strengthening this week, in particular the hip adductors. The pain!:eek:

Tuesday
    3miles easy / 8:00 average pace

Quick jog around the town after work. This pace was a bit too fast for me this time as an easy run, hopefully putting this down to the legs still feeling the effects of Saturday’s race as normally Ifind it ok. Will keep easy runs closer to 8:20 for the rest of this week and see how 8min/miles feel next week again.

Also, following on from race on Saturday I have re-calculated my training pace ranges to as follows:

Training Type|minute/mile pace
    VO2 Max|6:05 - 6:10
    Lactate Threshold|6:30 - 6:40
    Easy Runs|8:00 - 8:20
    Long Runs|8:10 - 8:50
    Recovery Runs|9:00 - 9:20
    HMP|6:40 - 6:50
    PMP|7:25 - 7:40

This was my first stab at it so may need to be adjusted! I'll see how it goes for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

VO2 max? Lactate thresholds? I feel like I'm back in 5th year biology.

With the times you've been posting it was only a matter of time before you start sounding like a runner. I will continue to follow your log but maintain a second window so I can google the stuff I don't understand (likely to be busy on google since I only understand fast relative to me and slow)

Ha yeah, that will be about as complex as it gets with me.:) Basing my next marathon training on P&D so said I'd start determining what my paces are going to be for the sessions.

About halfway through the book at the moment, very good and would recommend it.

Will be my running bible for the next 12 months.:D Now will be another story to see if I get anywhere with it!

Wednesday
    5 miles easy with strides / 8:12 average pace

Legs are not with it this week. Found this tough enough and I would normally find it a doddle! Included 5 X 100m strides in the middle of the run and then 1 mile cool down. This week is looking like a grind!

Thursday
    2.1 miles easy / 8:20 average pace

Knees were irritated today so said id give them a rest from pounding the roads. So headed to the gym this evening for the first time in about 18 months!:eek: Done 2 easy miles on the treadmill and then proceeded to do some cross training.

Cross Training
    30min bike/20min cross trainer

Tonight was the start of my cross training regime for running!:D I plan to keep this up for once/twice a week from here on for the lead up to Rotterdam. Felt quite good after it and nice to mix it up a bit. I didn’t do any cross training for DCM :o(unless golf counts!) so this is a whole new world for me. Thumbs up on the first session anyway!

No more activity now until Sunday, going to give the legs a rest by just doing the long run and start fresh again next week (plus small matter of a work night out tomorrow night so Saturday is written off!:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Well done on the 1:28; superb time and great consistent splits.
    Great race report too.

• Advertisement

Friday
    Rest
    Legs were feeling very tired this week so i made an executive decision to take a couple of days off. (Had nothing to do with the fact that I had 12 pubs of Christmas on Friday night :D)

Saturday
    Rest
    I could not have got anymore rest yesterday if I tried. The entire day was spent either in bed or on the couch with a blanket around me feeling sorry for myself. Never again!:(

Sunday
    12miles / 7:40 average pace (incl. 6m @ 10m pace)

Still a bit groggy today but headed out on my long run. This was the toughest session I had since I started DCM training back in July. Worse than any 20mile LSR!!:eek: Mr. Evil ;) was punishing me for going out friday night. Session included 3 mile warm-up, 3 X 2 miles @ 10 mile pace with 4min recovery between reps and a 2 mile cool down. First rep was ok, second and third were torture! No pain, no gain eh?!:)

Was aiming for 6:40 pace on the reps but didn't work out.

The three 2 mile average pace splits were: 6:45, 6:46, 6:42

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|3m|5m|2.1m|Rest|Rest|12m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    22.1m|37.2m|563.35m

Advertisement