Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

As I've said to you before, your maturity defies your years. You're playing a stormer in your training and in your strong contribution to Boards.

Your report says it all about you, the prep, the nervous energy and the confidence.
    EVERYONE on here knows that you will nail sub 3, that's not applying pressure, it's just a question of reading through your training.

Just take it handy in any upcoming 5k's that I may be running in............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great report Blockic - gutted for you the way it ended but you have a great outlook and attitude and the next marathon report will be all about the sub 3hr -i've no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Savage report man, take it easy and forget about racing for a while. Plenty of easy running is whats needed, your body took a battering the other day and it will take a while to recover. No point in trying to be the hero and race again too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Not much to add that hasn't already been posted except to say that in spite of not achieving your goal in the race you most definitely reached the A-standard in your report. And we're all really proud of yousmile.png onwards and upwards now J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Super report, desperately unlucky. Hope the stomach is sorted though as I don't want you blowing chunks in Limerick ;)

@ rasher, not sure who you refer to but in my opinion, off the back of blocky's HM in Bohermeen he was right to go for a sub 3 attempt. Maybe the lesson for all of us that continue to push for better times is to step back from that if conditions are not favourable. That said, far easier to do that in a 5k than a marathon.

I'm sorry in my opinion I didn't see the rush. I read some of the threads from people who have successful races most of the time and the common denominator is that they take things in increments.
    Blocky is running about a year and a bit. Hes on his second marathon with the first just 6 months ago. Hes trying to PB by over 30 mins (i think) after an already fast enough time. Hes not in a club and he doesn't have a coach.
    He had plans to do two other marathons this year as well. Hes 25 and he has loads of time to get under 3 hrs or better and I agree with everyone here that he defo has it in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'm sorry in my opinion I didn't see the rush. I read some of the threads from people who have successful races most of the time and the common denominator is that they take things in increments.
    Blocky is running about a year and a bit. Hes on his second marathon with the first just 6 months ago. Hes trying to PB by over 30 mins (i think) after an already fast enough time. Hes not in a club and he doesn't have a coach.
    He had plans to do two other marathons this year as well. Hes 25 and he has loads of time to get under 3 hrs or better and I agree with everyone here that he defo has it in him.

I'm interested in your point of view on this. :) Would you have the same opinion of a runner who ran their first marathon in say 4 hours and was now going for a 3:30 as training has gone well?

Should I have not run at a marathon race pace that my training/ tune up races suggested I was capable of?

If not, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of racing? Why go out there and not run your best in an A goal race...

blockic wrote: »
    I'm interested in your point of view on this. :) Would you have the same opinion of a runner who ran their first marathon in say 4 hours and was now going for a 3:30 as training has gone well?

Should I have not run at a marathon race pace that my training/ tune up races suggested I was capable of?

If not, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of racing? Why go out there and not run your best in an A goal race...

I'm sorry Blocky I must be coming across as some smart arse or a bitter/jealous cow with an injury and also a slow coach :D
    I really have your best intentions at heart.

My opinion and I do stress its my opinion ...is that theres a big difference between 3.30 - 2.57 and 4.00 to 3.30. If the under 3 hr marathon was so attainable then everyone would be doing it. I'm willing to guess that theres a far greater turn over of the latter time.

I'm not a pro and i know everyone is different and capable of whatever depending on their health and age etc.

Reading logs of people with a good history and minimum injury, they seems to take it in small increments especially those who have a few marathons lined up a year.

You could try and pb but do you need to pb by as much as possible and at all costs especially in a marathon where as you said it can be cruel.

You're 25 and most people aren't even thinking of running this distance at your age so you're already ahead of the posse like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

My work here is done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I'm sorry Blocky I must be coming across as some smart arse or a bitter/jealous cow with an injury and also a slow coach :D

My opinion and I do stress its my opinion ...is that theres a big difference between 3.30 - 2.57 and 4.00 to 3.30. If the under 3 hr marathon was so attainable then everyone would be doing it. I'm willing to guess that theres a far greater turn over of the latter time.

I'm not a pro and i know everyone is different and capable of whatever depending on their health and age etc.

Reading logs of people with a good history and minimum injury, they seems to take it in small increments especially those who have a few marathons lined up a year.

You could try and pb but do you need to pb by as much as possible and at all costs especially in a marathon where as you said it can be cruel.

You're 25 and most people aren't even thinking of running this distance at your age so you're already ahead of the posse like.

I wouldn't overlook the huge difference in training that blocky done this time round. For Dublin he done HHN2 which in the whole scheme of things is quite basic yet he still went sub 3:30 for his first marathon.

I made a comparison between blockic and Krusty Clown earlier in this log because Krusty done a similar time first time out. But if you compare the training that both done for those marathons blockic would be made look almost lazy! (no offence blockic!). So I think it was obvious that blockic had a good improvement in him. His half time a few weeks ago made sub 3 look very achievable.

I would agree that there is a difference In someone going from 4hrs to 3:30 and someone going from 3:30 to sub 3. But there is also a difference in comparing someone who has already improved from 4:30 say down to 3:30 over a few marathons and is now trying to go sub 3 with someone like blockic.

I think it's more of a case when you a trying for harder times you need a little bit of luck to go your way because there is a lot less room for error. Had it been a few degrees cooler on Sunday blockic's report would have almost been boring I reckon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think I understand where you're coming from Rasher with your "why the rush? you've plenty of time" question and I admire your bravery for asking the question around here :D.

Personally I understand why people want to be their best at any one time - you never know what's around the corner so why postpone being your best?

Sometimes we'll overreach (not so much in Blockic's case here, that was largely external factors) but that's more a reflection on our ability to estimate required effort vs available energy. So that's where experience comes in.

Anyway I'm not much of an advocate for holding back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I think it's great to see these posts that challenge and make us think a bit.

In this case, Blockics training and past races reaffirmed his ability for sub 3, but that's not to say that there won't be occasions when he and others may need to take a look in the mirror. (Like when he stops talking to us here on boards 'cos the Olympic council forbid it............or something)

For what it's worth, I can see rashers point. However it's not the time target that would concern me as everybody has a different natural ability/pace/endurance.

What concerns me and I've voiced it before, is the amount of people that have gone from not running 18 months ago, to running 150+ miles per month. It's a huge work rate for the body to adapt to over a short space of time.

Gavlor wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I can see rashers point. However it's not the time target that would concern me as everybody has a different natural ability/pace/endurance.

What concerns me and I've voiced it before, is the amount of people that have gone from not running 18 months ago, to running 150+ miles per month. It's a huge work rate for the body to adapt to over a short space of time.

I find your high mileage phobia hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

dazza21ie wrote: »

Despite being one of the people Gavlor refers to, I think he may have a point.

But I'm conflicted by the facts that I enjoy running, I'm going well and I'm not exactly a young starter so if I'm going to make any kind of a job of it, I don't have a real wide window.

The way I choose to look at it is that I've been a lazy git for thirty-odd years so I can hopefully absorb some punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

There's not, it's all relative to the individual.

If the under 3 hr marathon was so attainable then everyone would be doing it.

The reason why not everybody is doing it is two threefold.

Firstly they may not be built or have the little natural talent required, blockic obviously does.
    Secondly, they don't have the required training/race times. Blockic does.
    Thirdly they have't got the balls to go for it, blockic does.

This may sound a bit corny but I treat every marathon as if it's my last. You don't know what's around the corner, you could get injured or life circumstances change so that you can no longer do the required training. With that in mind sometimes you need to go for it. Lets say he finished in 3.05 and developed a serious injury down the line. There would always be that doubt "could I have gone sub 3" well even though it didn't work out you obviously did everything right and are a sub 3hr runner in all but the official time. I'd rather a DNF than a PB that I wasn't happy with

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Despite being one of the people Gavlor refers to, I think he may have a point.

But I'm conflicted by the facts that I enjoy running, I'm going well and I'm not exactly a young starter so if I'm going to make any kind of a job of it, I don't have a real wide window.

The way I choose to look at it is that I've been a lazy git for thirty-odd years so I can hopefully absorb some punishment.

His point was good alright I was thinking more of his p&d bashing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

An 81min half would definitley indicate that a sub 3 was on. For my first marathon I only had an 86min(and it was 86 high)half and I still went for it. Almost got it aswell, 3:02 but I'd done shag all long runs and I just blew up at 22miles. So I think you were definitely were right to go for it, I mean you'll never know where your limits lie until you hit them. You could've pansied about taking a soft PB but you didnt, you went for it and that shows courage. You just blew up thats all and you can put it down to the heat and inexperience.
    Fair play though, I reckon you'll nail it for sure next time out. Just dont fall into the trap of trying to settle scores straight away. Take some time to relax, maybe work on some shorter races then bulid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Not at all, I just think it's good to get people's different opinions on things so wanted to dig deeper into your thought process.

I suppose I wouldn't really see it as a jump from 3:30 to under 3. I feel I underachieved in Dublin and to an extent, I didn't mind. I had a 1:32 half going into DCM so I really should have been closed to 3:20 rather than 3:30. But as a first marathon, I was really there just to enjoy it. HHN2 just didn't give me enough mileage/LSR distances to bring a 3:20 to fruition.

So starting this cycle I felt I was more off a 3:20 base.

After Bohermeen If I had targeted a 3:10 marathon and achieved it would I have been happy? Probably not. As I said in my report, the 'what if I tried for sub 3' question would have been bouncing around in addition to not knowing if at this point of time I was in sub 3 shape. I would never had known.

I'm glad I went for it. Better to try and not succeed that to not try at all.

I'm older than that!!:D You should check out ecoli's log. 2:30 target for his first!! :eek:
    My work here is done!!!

I blame Gavlor for it all anyway! :p
    Had it been a few degrees cooler on Sunday blockic's report would have almost been boring I reckon:D

I'm here to entertain! :cool:

How very dare you.... High mileage killed my great grandfather in WW1 :)

How very dare you.... High mileage killed my great grandfather in WW1 :)

Oh please do explain that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Having read through the race report and pondered it for some time, the solution is now obvious to me.

Delete the Eagles from the ipod. That's just soul sucking stuff, as another elite athlete could have told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Pilot in the airforce. Got shot down ??? :)

Sweet Jesus ye high mileage people are gullible!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”
    T.s. Eliot

TRR wrote: »
    There's not, it's all relative to the individual.

The reason why not everybody is doing it is two threefold.

Firstly they may not be built or have the little natural talent required, blockic obviously does.
    Secondly, they don't have the required training/race times. Blockic does.
    Thirdly they have't got the balls to go for it, blockic does.

This may sound a bit corny but I treat every marathon as if it's my last. You don't know what's around the corner, you could get injured or life circumstances change so that you can no longer do the required training. With that in mind sometimes you need to go for it. Lets say he finished in 3.05 and developed a serious injury down the line. There would always be that doubt "could I have gone sub 3" well even though it didn't work out you obviously did everything right and are a sub 3hr runner in all but the official time. I'd rather a DNF than a PB that I wasn't happy with

I'll look at everyones posts who are challenging me later...I have to go into town and buy a false nail for my bald toe. :pac:

In the meantime, TRR....you build up to yours, at one stage you had one planned for two years away and you have a hell of a lot of experience. Ecoli is the same. MS, meno etc...they're all doing it gradually in my opinion and all very capable and talented and rational and in clubs, loads of experience and being coached.

I dont agree about the differences between 3.30 etc.
    I wreckon theres a huge difference.

That scenario is ridiculous, if he went for 3.05, in his next marathon he could go for 2.59 etc which isn't long to wait. Saying he could get injured or get hit by a bus etc...it doesn't wash.

I stand to what I said earlier. :P

Though I think this is all getting old now and I don't know if I can type and reply to probably the whole site soon. Ha.:eek: :D

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”
    T.s. Eliot

Hope you practice what you preach there!
    I wont be reading your report unless you hit the decks with drips coming out of ya and an ambulance in tow. :pac:

Just joking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hope you practice what you preach there!
    I wont be reading your report unless you hit the decks with drips coming out of ya and an ambulance in tow. :pac:

Just joking :D

I'll see what I can do new naw new naw !

I wouldn't overlook the huge difference in training that blocky done this time round. For Dublin he done HHN2 which in the whole scheme of things is quite basic yet he still went sub 3:30 for his first marathon.

I made a comparison between blockic and Krusty Clown earlier in this log because Krusty done a similar time first time out. But if you compare the training that both done for those marathons blockic would be made look almost lazy! (no offence blockic!). So I think it was obvious that blockic had a good improvement in him. His half time a few weeks ago made sub 3 look very achievable.

I would agree that there is a difference In someone going from 4hrs to 3:30 and someone going from 3:30 to sub 3. But there is also a difference in comparing someone who has already improved from 4:30 say down to 3:30 over a few marathons and is now trying to go sub 3 with someone like blockic.

I think it's more of a case when you a trying for harder times you need a little bit of luck to go your way because there is a lot less room for error. Had it been a few degrees cooler on Sunday blockic's report would have almost been boring I reckon:D

I see your points dazza and I agree! He was well trained.
    Not well trained or experienced enough to run sub 3 in the heat
    All his comrades slowed down or stopped in some cases, they adhered to what the website said, he didn't.
    I thought there was too much pressure there for the sub 3 and he didn't need to rush into it.
    I thought he had 3 marathons on this year and he could've gone out and done 3.05 or 3.10 that day and gone the extra 6 mins or so in Dublin.
    Also what if the heat didn't effect him and it was in fact all the effort from his ramp up of high mileage that did it?
    He said he was well hydrated. sunstroke for me anyway, didn't take effect until a few hours of being in very high temps.
    You would get sluggish alright in it but at 26 degrees, thats like a warm summers day here.
    Either way it was too much too soon to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

In the meantime, TRR....you build up to yours, at one stage you had one planned for two years away and you have a hell of a lot of experience. Ecoli is the same. MS, meno etc...they're all doing it gradually in my opinion and all very capable and talented and rational and in clubs, loads of experience and being coached.

Yes but the time I'm going for is right at my limit. Sub 3hrs is nowhere near his limit and in itself is a minor stepping stone. I went form 3.37 to a sub 3 in 6 months, only difference is I had nice weather conditions. I wasn't in a club at the time and didn't have a coach.

Regards 3.30 etc and not washing with you, fair enough but as you said I'm pretty experienced about these things :cool:

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Yes but the time I'm going for is right at my limit. Sub 3hrs is nowhere near his limit and in itself is a minor stepping stone. I went form 3.37 to a sub 3 in 6 months, only difference is I had nice weather conditions. I wasn't in a club at the time and didn't have a coach.

Regards 3.30 etc and not washing with you, fair enough but as you said I'm pretty experienced about these things :cool:

I'm not saying hes not capable of going sub 2.30, i already explained myself.

As for the 3.30, l'll bet you 50 quid if you look at stats from the internet from ANY marathon, there is more 3.30 to 4.00 finishers than 3.30 to 2.59
    I'm not making this up.

Advertisement