Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tunguska wrote: »
    An 81min half would definitley indicate that a sub 3 was on. For my first marathon I only had an 86min(and it was 86 high)half and I still went for it. Almost got it aswell, 3:02 but I'd done shag all long runs and I just blew up at 22miles. So I think you were definitely were right to go for it, I mean you'll never know where your limits lie until you hit them. You could've pansied about taking a soft PB but you didnt, you went for it and that shows courage. You just blew up thats all and you can put it down to the heat and inexperience.
    Fair play though, I reckon you'll nail it for sure next time out. Just dont fall into the trap of trying to settle scores straight away. Take some time to relax, maybe work on some shorter races then bulid again.

Yeah fair play, you're a real man now! You grow extra hair on your chest for that and get a big bad cigar.
    Running sensibly is for pussies.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'm not saying hes not capable of going sub 2.30, i already explained myself.

As for the 3.30, l'll bet you 50 quid if you look at stats from the internet from ANY marathon, there is more 3.30 to 4.00 finishers than 3.30 to 2.59
    I'm not making this up.
    Yeah fair play, you're a real man now! You grow extra hair on your chest for that and get a big bad cigar.

I think the horse has well and truly been flogged on this one. Time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »

Thank God, I was just going to get Kurt to intervene.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You can't stop it now! It's only getting interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Can't we all just get along?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I don't normally argue with a minority of one but you've tickled my belly with this ridiculous comment.

Regards the sub 3 vs sub 3.30 point, where do I start people are soft compared to the first running boom in the 1980s. Have a look at those results and come back to me. Sub 3 was even considered an average club runner in those days. In the fat lazy 3rd millennium you're a god if you run sub 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Rasher I can understand what you mean about the leap. I know how big a leap that would have been for me. But every individual is different. Blockic didn't set out with a sub3 in mind either. As he progressed through training he was performing well, without injury and far in excess of his goals. Every indication leading up to rtd said hed go sub 3 from his 5k, half maras to his training paces.

If he'd nailed on the first time out would you still be questioning his ambitions? 500 mtrs out and and within touching distance, I think it was the right decision on the wrong day. 6 months or 6 years of training in one climate only to experience a whole different climate will still catch up with. If you look at any pro football team playing in world cups or major tournaments they will always travel early to climatise. In my opinion he was unlucky.

Sorry to jump on you like most others here but had to offer my thoughts

TRR wrote: »
    I don't normally argue with a minority of one but you've tickled my belly with this ridiculous comment.

Regards the sub 3 vs sub 3.30 point, where do I start people are soft compared to the first running boom in the 1980s. Have a look at those results and come back to me. Sub 3 was even considered an average club runner in those days. In the fat lazy 3rd millennium you're a god if you run sub 3.

Its supposed to be ridiculous, its called sarchasm actually ;)
    guinang wrote: »
    Rasher I can understand what you mean about the leap. I know how big a leap that would have been for me. But every individual is different. Blockic didn't set out with a sub3 in mind either. As he progressed through training he was performing well, without injury and far in excess of his goals. Every indication leading up to rtd said hed go sub 3 from his 5k, half maras to his training paces.

If he'd nailed on the first time out would you still be questioning his ambitions? 500 mtrs out and and within touching distance, I think it was the right decision on the wrong day. 6 months or 6 years of training in one climate only to experience a whole different climate will still catch up with. If you look at any pro football team playing in world cups or major tournaments they will always travel early to climatise. In my opinion he was unlucky.

Sorry to jump on you like most others here but had to offer my thoughts

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't hop in.
    I'm not repeating my arguement again, its boring now. You missed the boat :pac:

Its supposed to be ridiculous, its called sarchasm actually ;)

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't hop in.
    I'm not repeating my arguement again, its boring now. You missed the boat :pac:

Are you so sarcastic that you purposely spelt sarchasim incorrectly ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Are you so sarcastic that you purposely spelt sarchasim incorrectly ;)

Sarcasm is sometimes used as merely a synonym of irony, but the word has a more specific sense: irony that's meant to mock or convey contempt. This meaning is found in its etymology. In Greek, sarkazein meant "to tear flesh; to wound." When you use sarcasm, you really tear into them. A clever person coined the variant spelling sarchasm (a blend of sarcasm and chasm) and defined it as "the gap between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it."

Oh rasher you lil beauty.....:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Jebus Rasher - we've gone past arguing about the original point into arguing about the arguing techniques and the origins of the words used in the argument. The evidence is, I'm afraid, stacking up and leading me to just one inevitable conclusion: you and I must have been separated at birth. From here on in you will be referred to as Sis.

Btw that means you're a culchie too.:D

(Two killer blows...)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Jebus there is nothing quite like a boards squabble! (fantastic)

Blockic your report is amazing, you were well prepared, very self-aware and you ran to a reasonable & resoned plan. You can't anticipate the off switch tripping like it did. You ran your best race on the day and the drama could so easily have been 501 mtrs later. Nothing naive or foolhardy, just unlucky on the day. I agree with all who say you are a sub 3 runner in all but name and you've an epic tale to tell and dine out on for years ( like Peckam who ran 3:00:00 in a sub 3 attempt - and later nailed it, as you undoubtedly will)

At the end of the day Rasher_m as she said herself right at the start just wants the best for you and that your OK ("female point of view" .. of course I think most of us guys would want the same but expressed differently). Lets stop bashing the girl (I note Blockic never did!), she is smart & sassy but a sweetheart as well.

I guess there is no perfect timeline but your progress has been amazing. But I think it ws myflipflops who's also been amazing who say he is thinking about the races he'll be running in 2-3 years as his long Vs short term view, and keeps that in mind when deciding what next!

I think it's right to say that you've a clear talent, a savage training mojo, a lion heart and a very short base so far. It may take a couple of years for you to hit your best - which is hopefully going to be Elite good.

Thanks for the entertainment, I'm proud to say I was in the novice class with you! I'm sure you'll decide well what to do next!

PS : I'm hoping to drop 30 mins off my novice time (save anyone looking it was 3:110!) at the next outing and I've fantisised about 51 mins, if I'm fit at the line and I think I'm ready - I'll be giving it a lash.

Better get back on the horse I suppose! Quick update from last week.

Wednesday
    4 miles recovery / 10:03 average pace :D

Was up in the pale with work so got out for a post-marathon recovery shuffle around Blackrock and the N11. Aim was to go really slow and not look at the watch just have it for recording purposes. Legs could have gone any faster nor did I want them too.

Saturday
    4.5 miles recovery / 8:28 average pace

Another slow run back in Kilkenny, nice to be able to run in the sun and a t-shirt. Didn't collapse either which as an added bonus!! :pac:

Sunday
    5 miles recovery / 8:24 average pace

Pretty much the same again yesterday, the love and mojo for running is back with a bang which is nice. Another relaxing week in store for this week.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|4m|Rest|Rest|4.5m|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    13.5m|92.2m|679.4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

<Snip> The phrase, start a fight in an empty room comes to mind. Some of your replies are crazy, you seem to lack the ability to engage in a mature debate without regressing to being a defensive child.......That or you're a troll.
    Either way dont bother responding to any post I make again because I dont wanna know.

Just before the mods come in and put an end to this argument I feel I should let rasher know that blockic told me that running king told him that he heard up the 19th saying that tunguska said that rasher_m looks like she put on her make up with a shot gun......

And career_move pm'd me to say that rasher told her that tunguska looks like a girl.

Just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mods: Lets draw a line under this so that blockic can get on with his training log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ok so im a week late...but that's some war story J...you are a sub 3 man in all but official clock time.....sounds scary for you when that happened to you...have to say I saw a bit of it in London at last week too and it wasn't near as hot but I suppose with the winter we had anything above 5/6 degrees was kinda hard to adjust to....

take it easy for a few weeks and just go with the flow after that....well done on a super race ...up to the last bit in which you had no control over!!!

That Lucan 5k is starting to look very appealing.

Sure mull it over another bit, I'd say there is a good chance I'm going to give it a crack, need to start putting my marathon training to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'd say there is a good chance I'm going to give it a crack, need to start putting my marathon training to good use.

Look, whatever happens, just make sure you don't get pressured into trying to break 12 minutes.... Run your own race and fook everyone else :D;)

• Advertisement

& Pray there's no sunshine.
    :)

& Pray there's no sunshine.
    :)

It'll be all my fault anyway ;):)

Did you have a look at the west Waterford AC race series??

Let me know if you're planning on running any of them

Gavlor wrote: »
    Did you have a look at the west Waterford AC race series??

Let me know if you're planning on running any of them

Took a look alright, undecided yet, too many bloody races going on! If I do though I'll let ya know!

Tuesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:40 average pace

Can’t remember this one. Pretty uneventful I’d say.

Wednesday
    4 miles easy / 7:28 average pace

This was shorter and a bit quicker than planned but I was short in time. I drove to Cork after work, so then had to get out before dark running on country roads and all!

Thursday
    Rest

Had a confirmation on Thursday (no, not mine before the jokes start!!) so they day was spent eating about 2000 calories of cake and then a round of golf in the evening with absolutely no guilt whatsoever!:D

Friday
    6 miles recovery / 8:22 average pace

Got out at lunchtime Friday and it was the most bizarre run in a while and it perfectly showed the joys of an Irish climate!

Mile 1: Sunny and warm
    Mile 2: Sunny and windy
    Mile 3: Overcast
    Mile 4: Horizontal Hail Shower and gale force crosswinds
    Mile 5: Raining
    Mile 6: Sunny and warm

The less said about that experience, the better!! :rolleyes: My head was sore from hailstones battering off it for about an hour after! Cars passing me were thinking I was an absolute nut! I probably am!

Saturday
    Rest

Now that I have a little more time to spare after the marathon I can get out for some golf. :) Headed to Portarlington with a society and it was a scorcher!! Perfect golf conditions on a nice track! Didn’t play too bad either. Nice to take the mind off running and racing for a few hours!

Sunday
    8 miles easy / 7:19 average pace

Out for a canter this afternoon, went a bit faster than planned but I was feeling good and enjoyed getting into second gear after a week of recovery runs last week. Mileage still very low and the plan is to get back up to in and around 40-45 mile weeks in the next month or so.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|5m|4m|Rest|6m|Rest|8m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    23m|115.2m|702.4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I was in portarlington myself on sat. You're on track for a sub 3 in cork I'd say!

Steroo wrote: »
    You're on track for a sub 3 in cork I'd say!

No chance! :D

So the big question over the last couple of weeks was where to go from here after my experience in Rotterdam. I have had a good think about it and I had taken all the advice on my log as well as what I thought best for myself while pondering the decision.

I’ve decided to draw a line under the marathon for the moment and continue on my year as if I had finished the race. I’m not opting for any quick fixes to try and get under the 3hr mark as I feel it could potentially do more harm than good. Instead I’m going to run for fun for a while focusing on the shorter distances and get back the enjoyment of casual running. The marathon focus will be put on the back burner until my next goal marathon in Chicago in October where the aim will be to have a target closer to 2:50 rather than 3 hours.

With this in mind I’m going to start a 10km plan (exact plan yet to be decided) in the next couple of weeks which will bring me up to the Dunshaughlin 10km in late June and then start my next Marathon cycle in mid July likely to be 12 weeks.

I will concentrate on the key session in the 10km plan but will have an LSR in there also to keep up the endurance in addition to a couple of more runs a week to flesh it out. However the plan will have a bit of leeway and I won’t be anal about it.

I’m going to also try to tick of some distances in the 10 round numbers thread in May and June as some of my PBs in shorter distances are sitting ducks big time so it needs sorting out!

Finally, I’m still going to run Cork Marathon for fun, just going to enjoy the day, the atmosphere and the pints after! Some of which for my first two marathons I didn’t get to soak in fully due to concentrating on my own performance.

So fun times ahead in the next 8 weeks which includes a couple of pacing gigs as well starting in Limerick next week and I’m really looking forward to that! :)

Nice. Good decision on not trying to get that monkey off your back.
    It'll happen.

Maybe get some advice on the 10k stuff from some of the experienced faster lads on here. An off the shelf plan may not suit someone with buckets of potential like you.

• Advertisement

Sure mull it over another bit, I'd say there is a good chance I'm going to give it a crack, need to start putting my marathon training to good use.

thinking of doing this one myself. Is just down the road from my parents house. Looking at the course it looks like a new one compared to the one I ran a good few years back but should be fast enough

Advertisement