Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm glad you're not running Cork flat out, I didn't like to say, but that sounded like madness to me!

That sounds like a really good plan and so sensible to leave the sub 3 til later in the year. If you went out looking for revenge in Cork while not fully recovered and it didn't go to plan then that could turn into a massive mental block to get over.

Looking forward to seeing your shorter race results, I reckon they will be pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Nice. Good decision on not trying to get that monkey off your back.

Agreed, plenty of time to spank that monkey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sensible decision and I'm glad you took the time to come to right one.
    Short races can be fun, you'll get burned in some when you push the boundaries, but the fun comes from pushing those boundaries, learning from the experience and being able to retest in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Are you sure you're only 26? Far too much sense in what you've got planned. Good shouts all round though I fear for your log with that 2.50 target. I on the other hand I'm off to get some popcorn

Best of luck with it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Having a big catch up on the logs this evening (there are some hooligan-ous (it's a word!!) football shouts coming from the sitting room so I'm avoiding it like the plague!!)

Best of luck with the short term goals! Very good decision re Cork. I'm pleasantly surprised with these unexpected sensible decisions that the boys around here are making at the minute. There must be something in the water. The legs should be in great shape for nailing the shorter stuff for a while so enjoy it!

Looking forward to the pacing and booze-ups over the next few weekends :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Monday
    5 miles easy / 7:45 average pace

Keeping the easy runs going for another week before I kick off some 10km plan next week. It was a lovely evening for this one so done a few loops of Kilkenny Castle while taking a few pics, one of those runs where you just feel happy to be out and about.

Wednesday
    5 miles easy / 7:52 average pace

Trotted over to the nearest track for this one to check out the local AC and what they were getting upto on their track sessions, and the result was not much!!:rolleyes:

I'm planning on joining an AC sooner rather than later as I feel the time has come to commit at this stage in order to help me progress further. There are two relatively near me and I'm going to go to one of them for a track session next week to see what it's like. Hopefully it will be what I expect, good!

Thursday
    7 miles PHMPP / 8:20 average pace

This run was a Planned Half Marathon Pacer Pace (PHMPP :D). Again went to the castle to do this on grass. Fairly uneventful, it was slow and the hardest part is keeping it at that pace and not any faster. Was grand, nothing much else to report. No more runs until Sunday.

Just catching up on my April mileage, down a good bit on the previous months simply due to taper and post-marathon recovery.

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good to see you're back in the game Blockic after the Marathon. Have a good day on Sunday and enjoy the pacing gig!

Sunday 5th May

Great Limerick Run (Half Marathon)

1:50 Pacer

Chip Time: 1:49:42

Last weekend was spent in Limerick where I made my pacing debut. :D I was really looking forward to this in the days leading up to it as it would be the first time I ran a race without pushing myself and to just enjoy the atmosphere and help some other runners reach their target.

On the morning of the race myself and Meno headed up to the start of the full marathon to support the other pacers and the boardies who were running. The half wasn’t starting until 11:45am so we had plenty time to catch the marathon start and go back to prep for our own race.

Met up with claralara and digger at the hotel after and we headed over to the baggage drop where we got the briefing from the Half Pacer Chief Meno! I never knew there were so many artists in the pacer gang as they wrote their times on their balloons! I of course just roughly put my time on the balloon but digger the dark horse done a great job on his after 30 mins work! ;)

I wasn’t nervous at all but at the same time I knew there would be people dependant on us so I made sure I was in the game at the same time. It was great to have a man with decades of experience next to me all the same! ;):)

At the start line there were loads of excited and anxious runners and I was excited for them!

Off we went and the miles were flying by with digger giving me the odd useful tip here and there. Our pace was actually very good and we were bang on target (1:49:30) at every mile marker. In the meantime, I lost my balloon at 3 miles cos I forgot to check the balloon end was securely fastened! A rookie mistake! Digger had his until the end so I was once again in good hands! The sneaker bugger also declared my Rotterdam experience to all the paces a few miles in! So much for keeping that on the DL! I going to return the favour by telling the paces to congratulate digger for walking the Boston marathon last month but I didn’t bother! :D Willie42 came up to me at this stage. It’s always great to meet fellow boardies at races!

We passed CL and meno on an out and back route at mile 4 and gave them a shout out while the support along the course was pretty good and got them to give a shout out for the 1:50 gang now and again! It was ideal weather for pacing but it was getting hot at times which was not good for the racers and we told them to take on plenty water.

Things were tipping away nicely over halfway and the run though the city was brilliant and full of support. Limerick really came across as a great place and was showcased brilliantly! The one thing was I found the cones on the course were a bit of an obstacle and I was shouting at the runners to warn them whenever they were up ahead. At about mile 9 we had gained an extra 10 seconds so we were 40 seconds up and we decided to give a few of these seconds back on the hill to help out the group but unfortunately some struggled here and we lost a few.

At mile 11 we encouraged the people feeling strong to kick on while I went to the back of the group for a couple of minutes to encourage the people who were starting to suffer on. There was one guy (which I never got to check his name or number) that was suffering for the last 2 miles but stayed with me as I told him to dig in, I knew he had it if he just kept going and as we went over the bridge for the final stretch I was delighted to see he kicked on as we held back a bit to get as many people over the line as we could!!

I apologise for anyone on here I roared at on the final corner, I was buzzing as the support coming back into town was brilliant! Digger and I crossed the line together Krusty and KU style :pac: to finish a great days work!

I loved the experience and look forward to doing it again soon. Great to see so many happy faces at the end.

We tore back to the hotel and in a flash we were in the bar for the long haul to meet the other pacers and give meno his winning bet after he won for being closest to 20 seconds under our time by 1 second! Fair play to him. A great night was had reminiscing the day maybe even too good as I’ve been suffering since! Probably didn’t get a change to fully celebrate in Rotterdam so it was made up for here!

Well done to career_move and Gavlor on brilliant races. Doing the 2012 class thread proud. Hard luck to Dilbert and runchick, I felt yere pain and we will all bounce back stronger and this will be logged in the experience chapter!

Was great to meet and put a face to loads of boardies (too many to mention) who made the day what it was, it’s like one big happy running family! I love it!

Great Limerick Run was a great race and would definitely recommend it.

Finally a special thanks to Digger for showing me the ropes and giving me great tips when they were needed! I don’t care what everybody says about him but I think he is sound! :pac: :)

Back to the grindstone this week!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5m|Rest|5m|7m|Rest|Rest|13.2m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    30.2m|25.2m|732.6m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on losing your pacing cherry.:D Great to meet you and join in on the post race celebrations.

Monday, Tuesday
    Rest

Monday was a write off due to sore head, driving and sleeping! :D

Tuesday the body told me it wanted a bit of a rest, my glutes were a bit stiff after the run on Sunday which was surprising but I took the day off to play it safe, no point killing myself when the body was not interested.

Wednesday
    5.2 miles V02 session / (6x400m) x 2

This was my first speed work since the marathon and I must say it was enjoyable. Nice to get the speed back in the legs. Went down to the local track to my first club session to try it out before I think of joining. I must say I liked the set up. There were 3 or 4 lads there in and around my ability which to be fair is good going for a club based mainly in the country. The session was good and I pushed myself much harder than I would have done on my own. Will definitely be back next week and I’m going to join. Finally I can represent somewhere in races!

2 lap warm up

6x400 with 1min standing recoveries
    Actual times (84, 83, 80, 80, 80, 81)

2 lap recovery jog between sets

6x400 with 1min standing recoveries
    Actual times (82, 80, 79, 78, 80, 78)

3 lap cool down.

Times are a bit fast for 5km pace but it was a bit of a blow out after being restrained for so long! Will slow them down a tad the next day.

Thursday
    8 miles easy / 7:40 average pace

This was tough and my legs are bait!! A mixture of still not being fully recovered from Rotterdam and the previous night’s session I’d say. They were tightish before the session on Wednesday but yesterday the quads were in bits. The pace was my easy pace but after 4 miles I knew it wasn’t a day for pushing through with it so I eased off for the second half.

Friday
    10 miles MSR / 8:30 average pace

I had planned 14m LSR tonight but with the legs not being 100% I cut in back to 10m before i went out as my housemate was up for doing this much. As a result the pace was slower so that we could run together. She wanted hills before we went out so I suggested a nice route I had done about 6 months ago with vague memory of it having a few inclines. Well she asked for hills and hills is what she got! :D I hadn’t realised it was as bad as it was!

253327.png
    The serious elevation made up for the slower pace but the legs are still in a jocker!! I’m taking tomorrow off because I’m going to take a crack at the Lucan 5km on Sunday. I had hoped for something in the 17:3X range but I think a sub 18 will be satisfactory now with how the body is. Hopefully it might still be on depending on how I’m feeling Sunday morning. Looking forward to racing again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I reckon the club sessions will entice some serious additional improvements out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think you're ok with the 400's as is (actually thought you would be doing them quicker). 400's should probably be done at more like 3k pace especially when you have a 1 min recovery. I did 12 x 400 (1min stand recovery) myself yesterday. Small world...

statss wrote: »
    I reckon the club sessions will entice some serious additional improvements out of you.

Cheers statss, yeah hope so, once I keep it consistant it should pay dividends all going to plan
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you're ok with the 400's as is (actually thought you would be doing them quicker). 400's should probably be done at more like 3k pace especially when you have a 1 min recovery. I did 12 x 400 (1min stand recovery) myself yesterday. Small world...

Ah sure your just copying my plan now. ;) Cheers for that, I'm new to this track session lark so pile on the advise. I thought they were 5k pace so once I realised I was doing them faster than that I didn't push on further. I'd say the speed I done them I in around my 3 km pace anyway.

Thinking of taking a pop at the sub 10 3km in a couple of weeks on the side. There is a 3km on the track here in KK so If I'm around I might give if a blast.

You doing the half on Sunday now again?

blockic wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I'm new to this track session lark so pile on the advise. I thought they were 5k pace so once I realised I was doing them faster than that I didn't push on further. I'd say the speed I done them I in around my 3 km pace anyway.

Thinking of taking a pop at the sub 10 3km in a couple of weeks on the side. There is a 3km on the track here in KK so If I'm around I might give if a blast.

You doing the half on Sunday now again?

Once your last rep is the same (or faster) than your first, you are generally doing fine. You should always feel at the end that you could do another few if you had to.

Yep, gonna join the 2hr crew on sunday. Haven't done 2hrs for a few years, genuinely looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice session. Based on your VDOT (57?), Daniels has 400's at 85 secs.( try telling your new AC mates that!)

so it's sub 17:3x now is it, boy........is that the new thing now is it. (Said in my best Corkonian).

Great going, seriously.
    Not going to do Lucan, even of it is only a few mins from me. See you in Terenure?

Nice session. Based on your VDOT (57?), Daniels has 400's at 85 secs.( try telling your new AC mates that!)

so it's sub 17:3x now is it, boy........is that the new thing now is it. (Said in my best Corkonian).

Great going, seriously.
    Not going to do Lucan, even of it is only a few mins from me. See you in Terenure?

I'll probably do Terenure alright. Will be my first 5 miler!

My Vdot is 54 but I am doing them all under 85. What does daniels say in terms of recovery? Like Blocky, my club do 1 minute standing. I bet Daniels has shorter or jog recoveries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »
    My Vdot is 54 but I am doing them all under 85. What does daniels say in terms of recovery? Like Blocky, my club do 1 minute standing. I bet Daniels has shorter or jog recoveries?

This is a discussion for another thread but I wouldn't give two ****es what Daniels said. He has a PhD in physiology (big swinging mickey) but is a NCAA division 3 coach who has never trained an athlete of serious ability from what I can see. Myself and drquirky were only talking about this during the week. He ran xc against Daniels teams and they constantly hammered them. I'd have more faith in club sessions than his book!

Doh.......read the tables wrong.

Daniels recommends 79secs with 400 recoveries.

So you're a bit slow there Blocky........get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TRR wrote: »
    This is a discussion for another thread but I wouldn't give two ****es what Daniels said. He has a PhD in physiology (big swinging mickey) but is a NCAA division 3 coach who has never trained an athlete of serious ability from what I can see. Myself and drquirky were only talking about this during the week. He ran xc against Daniels teams and they constantly hammered them. I'd have more faith in club sessions than his book!

YYEEESSSSSS!

• Advertisement

Sunday 12th May

Tom Byrne 5KM, Lucan

Chip Time: 18:08 - PB
    Average Pace: 5.50/mile
    Result: 28/238

Examination Result: D -

Fuming is one way of putting it! Sh!te is another! :mad: I wasn’t feeling great all week but woke up this morning ok, the minimum acceptable result to me was 17:59 going in with the hope of getting a bit lower. What happened was completely different story altogether! I blew up in spectacular fashion!

First mistake was that I started 3-4 rows back and I soon realised that I should be up further but didn’t manage to get up far enough in time. Gun went off and the first km was all about getting into position passing a good few but I wasn’t off pace as I had targeted 5:40 pace for the whole race. It’s mad once you start going to a few races, the same people at your level keep on popping up. Half a km in I passed the same guy I passed at 30km in Rotterdam and at 10 miles in Bohermeen earlier in the year. His unique heart attack breathing technique a clear give away! Thought he would drop after 500meters! I was ticking off a few people and first mile was bang on target at 5:41. I was a bit isolated as we entered the park and tried to find a group. Eventually one popped up and I tucked in.

Started to suffer at the halfway point and the pace was dropping big time, but I was still in the group so looks like we were all suffering. Towards the end of the second mile there was a 90 degree bridge which I just literally bounced off and continued off on my way but lost a bit of momentum. What followed was a slight incline with headwind. Suffering BIG TIME now :eek:. Second mile 5:45. Last mile was cruel. Dying! Lactate central! Same group still around me and I kicked on from a few of them which I maintained until the end even though the pace was like an elevator in a mine shaft. Finally rounded the corner and saw the track (third mile 5:57 :o) and busted myself with a pathetic attempt at a final kick to cross with 18:06 on the clock but 2 seconds added for the craic to everyone by the looks of it!:rolleyes: Thought my third mile was faster than that tbh.

Ok, it’s a 36 second PB, but it’s not about PB’s for me anymore as was seen in Rotterdam, but it’s about performance. Today the performance was sub-standard. I ran an 18:11 in a 5km time trial a few weeks before Rotterdam and that was after a two minute recovery from the first 5km time trial I done :eek:. Then the week before Rotterdam I broke 18min in an unofficial fun run at about 80-90% effort albeit being significantly downhill. So when I compare these to today’s race I’m not a happy camper.

As a result the 5K is on my blacklist of revenge now in addition to the marathon. The only good thing about this is that I can get a quick turnaround time on getting another bash at 5K. Talking to the Tallaght lads after they mentioned how it takes a few of these races to get into them and pace them properly which makes sense. Even though the 5:41 first mile was perfectly to plan I reckon if I added 5 seconds to that the last half of the race would have worked out much better for me and might have broke 18. I’ll be like a demon now the next day to set things straight!

Nice to meet davemcmahon and the winning club team afterwards ;) and I joined them for a cool down. Well done lads.

Lovely race and nice course with a good feed of cakes after that I had to pass for fear of throwing up!

Really need to nail a race soon.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|5.2m|8m|10m|Rest|7m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    30.2m|55.4m|762.8m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nail a race..... Or adjust your targets ;)

Only joking. That's not a bad performance, you're being a bit harsh on yourself. A lot of this is down to experience and in future in sure you'll get your starting position right.

Out of curiosity, what kind of warm did you do?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nail a race..... Or adjust your targets ;)

Only joking. That's not a bad performance, you're being a bit harsh on yourself. A lot of this is down to experience and in future in sure you'll get your starting position right.

Out of curiosity, what kind of warm did you do?

Bollox to adjusting targets, adjust the training more like! ;)

Ah it was poor but It's a starting point. A few club session now should ger me sorted. Havn't done any speed work recently.

1.5 mile warm up with some pace strides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds like we had similar races. If only 5k pbs from training counted :D

Sounds like we had similar races. If only 5k pbs from training counted :D

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I'm putting it down to an off-day and some schoolboy errors.

Toss-up now between 5 mile and 5 km now next week. I might flip a coin later in the week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I'm putting it down to an off-day and some schoolboy errors.

Toss-up now between 5 mile and 5 km now next week. I might flip a coin later in the week!

LOL, if I don't do the half Iron its either back to Lucan or down to Sportsworld. A lot can change in a week so another 5k could be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ouch - small margin, big difference. You'll only appreciate that result when you use it to exceed your target next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I would suggest doing the 5k, it always takes a few 5k's to get the pacing right and you will have learnt a lot from today's race that will stand to you next week.

I wish I had an off day and ran 18:08!!

Putting it into perspective - you were delighted with your PB on NYD in Phoenix Park, just 5 months ago. Taking 36 secs off it is a great achievement, especially in the conditions.
    As you say yourself, you haven't done any speedwork recently - so maybe your expectations were too high??
    A few club sessions and a few more races will sort you out - this time next year you'll be in a different league.

You should try the Park Runs (one starting in Cork soon) to try different things/paces. Nothing to loose.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding next week - the 5m or the 5k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself Blocky! Not long ago that you were collapsed in a heap in Rotterdam. These things take more out of you than you might think and you just might not be back to top shape just yet. Be patient, you've got the talent, it'll come good soon.

18:08....ya fecker! Wish I was 15 yrs younger:D

Advertisement