Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'm glad you're disappointed. It was a good performance but shows you're willing to aim high!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done all the same, out of interest why mile pace when running a 5k, too lazy to change the watch settings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

so maybe your expectations were too high??.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding next week - the 5m or the 5k?

Don't think my expectations were too high. I really should be hitting sub 18. Probably didn't have the greatest prep this week (tired/ legs wrecked) and that could be the cause.

Yeah I'll make the call later in the week depending how its going. I'd like to try a new distance but at the same time need to sort out todays mishap.

RedRunner wrote: »
    These things take more out of you than you might think and you just might not be back to top shape just yet.

Could be right there RR thanks. Training this week was not great as you say probably not 100% yet. Inexperience in there too today.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done all the same, out of interest why mile pace when running a 5k, too lazy to change the watch settings :D

Haha, yep lazyness and I'm not a trathlete. ;) KM pace would be like a forgein language to me!

Off you are telling me of the wise desicion I made last week while you were prepping for your 'don't do this at home' marathon mission. Ya shnake! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done J, 18:08 is savage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »

Off you are telling me of the wise desicion I made last week while you were prepping for your 'don't do this at home' marathon mission. Ya shnake! :D;)

If I had ran 26 miles and then collapsed on the last corner in RTM, Kildare wouldn't have been a consideration - looking forward to your sub 3 DCM report ;)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If I had ran 26 miles and then collapsed on the last corner in RTM, Kildare wouldn't have been a consideration - looking forward to your sub 3 DCM report ;)

Ah I know, just winding ya up! Calling it a day a 16 miles that day made all the difference to you! Wise man! :D

Not a hope I'll be able to go sub 3 in Dublin...

especially after going sub 3 in Chicago 2 weeks beforehand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ah I know, just winding ya up! Calling it a day a 16 miles that day made all the difference to you! Wise man! :D

Don't mean to jinx you or anything but your post above was number 666 in your log........

Gavlor wrote: »
    Don't mean to jinx you or anything but your post above was number 666 in your log........

Jasis! :eek: How very observant of you! :cool:

Might hit up one of those Waterford Race series actually. Will be in touch!

Jasis! :eek: How very observant of you! :cool:

Might hit up one of those Waterford Race series actually. Will be in touch!

Yep, give me a shout..... I'll show you how to break 18 mins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jaysus, does that mean I'll have to be buying you beer all night so??
    (Just remembered we must share the same marathon agent! Hopefully we both get to finish Chicago though!!)

• Advertisement

Monday
    5.2 miles recovery / 8:36 average pace

Handy enough one this, just to loosen the legs after the race on Sunday. They feel fine but I probably need a good deep tissue job in the next couple of weeks. Couple of places are getting tight so will foam roll and stretch the sh!te out of it for the next week.

Tuesday
    7.3 miles easy / 7:12 average pace (incl. 4 miles @M)

This was a planned tempo session due to take place on Friday but I brought it forward as Friday does not suit. I also eased off from T pace (6:05-6:10) to M pace (6:45) with the club session the following night planned. Took a bit to get going but at least it was initially dry, about 2 miles in the heavens absolutely opened and I was getting soaked to the skin :eek:, and for some unknown reason, I was loving it!!! :D My favourite training run in a long while, running past traffic at a standstill dripping wet with the drivers looking out at me thinking I was absolutely nuts! All they would have seen back was a big grin!! I hate looking out at the rain before I start runs, but if it’s dry starting off and I’m warmed up when the rain starts, I love it. Clothes are still sopping! :cool:

2 miles easy
    4 miles @M (6:46, 6:46, 6:43, 6:46)
    1.3 miles easy

Great run!

Wednesday
    10.3 miles club session / (4x800m) x 2

I headed out myself for this one as the club session was not going ahead. I got the planned session sent to me so I could do it if I wanted and said I’d give it a lash.

Nice dry evening for it, if a bit chilly. I wouldn’t be long warming up on this one. ;)

2.5 miles easy

4x800 with 2min walk/jog recoveries
    Actual splits (2:51, 2:54, 2:49, 2:49)

5 min between sets including 2 recovery laps and a trip the jacks! :cool:

4x800 with 2min walk/jog recoveries
    Actual splits (2:50, 2:48, 2:49, 2:45)

2.5 miles easy/recovery

Happy with the session, if I wasn’t on my own I probably would have done them a couple of seconds faster. This kind of speed work is still fairly new to me and it’s a fine art I’ve come to learn. I’m not sure what kind of splits I should be hitting. Felt I was there or thereabouts as I knew all about it for the last rep! Still felt I could do a couple more and I think that is the way it’s supposed to be. 2 min recovery a bit long, would reduce this to 1:45 the next time.

Wondering now if I’d get under the 2:30 800m for the 10 round numbers thread! Might be on the lookout for a race over the next couple of months for the craic. :)

Thursday
    5 miles easy / 7:40 average pace

This was a quick run last Thursday which involved running down to Castle park doing a lap and a half and then running back. Broke a bit of a sweat put nothing too strenuous.

Saturday 18th May

Lakes of Killarney Half Marathon

1:30 Pacer

Chip Time: 1:29:25

Got a late call during the week to do this one and said I’d go for it. I had planned a 16 mile LSR for that day anyway and I reckon 13 miles at marathon pace including a warm up/cool down would be a great session for me with company.:)

The race is in its inaugural year and was set in Killarney National Park. The scenery was magnificent and I am quite jealous of those who have the park nearby for their training runs! Wouldn’t mind running it every week!

Race started at Ross Castle (again the views were savage) where the HM was a lap and a half of the course with the full marathon being 3 full laps. The numbers were small enough. Found myself up the front of the starters. Soon we were off and about 15 people shot off ahead of me some which I would pick up later in the race. After about half a mile there was a group of about 8 runners with me. The first 3 miles were very undulating and I lost a few fast starters here. By the time the first half lap was complete I was down to about 5 in the group. Pacing conditions were difficult as the majority of the race had very dense tree coverage which meant that the Garmin might not be fully accurate. In addition to this some of the mile markers looked to be misplaced so this combination left for a difficult enough day at the office!

At 5.5 miles there was a significant climb for about half a mile, I had seen this in the elevation profile of the race so I had about 20 seconds to play with by the time the hill came along and I gave a few seconds back here. The group found this tough going so I gave as many seconds as I could but by the time I got to the top I had lost all but one of the group and picked up a couple of runners who were starting to suffer! A nice downhill followed and we were back to the undulating section again. Soon I only had 2 lads with me and I would make sure that I got these lads to the finish otherwise I would have been a failure!! :eek::D We had a few words here and there but by mile 9 I told them to not talk and conserve all their energy for running while I passed on words of encouragement now and again. In one section of the park we came across about 6 jaunting carts with tourists that were a bit of a pain in the backside to get passed. Something that will have to be looked at for next year’s event.

About 3 miles to go I knew at this stage my pacees had the sub 1:30 in them so just gave motivation when motivation was needed. I had about 10 seconds in the back for a 1:29:30 finish so it was just to cruise home now but we had a few people coming back to us including the second lady. She stuck with me for a while but faded a few hundred metres behind me with a mile and a half to go...At this stage I encouraged the two lads on ahead as the 1:30 was in the bag and as we were coming up towards the finish line I knew that the garmin would be reading short so I actually had some extra few seconds to spare. I left the lads off and held back to try and get the second lady in. She was about 400 metres behind me so I stopped and roared back at her as loud as I could while dangling the balloons to show that 1:29 was still there for the taking. :D Soon she found an extra gear and motored past me on the finishing straight to get over with time to spare and I crossed with a job well done.

Overall a good event with the potential to be great if a few small adjustments are made. Water stations had plastic cups which was not ideal and some junctions were not marshalled which if there was a gap in the race someone could go astray. Also garmins seemed to have measured short but the race was measured accurately we have been told so I could have been down to the tree coverage.

But the actual route is stunning and is the nicest location I have ran in a race so far. I’d consider doing it next year again.

Great session for me too with 13 miles at marathon pace. Busy week coming up with a couple of races tucked in here and there so we’ll see where that takes me!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5.2m|7.3m|10.3m|5m|Rest|14.4m|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    42.2m|97.6m|805m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great work J - were you pacing by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done, sounds like it was a tough task today alright. Nice touch with the second lady!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Great work J - were you pacing by yourself?

Cheers, yep on my own on this one. One pacer for 1:30, 1:45, 2:00 and 2:15. Was plenty as there was only 200 odd runners for the half. I think it was limited this year to test the waters of the organisation etc and they hope to expand next year.

I did have 2 balloons though! cool.png
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done, sounds like it was a tough task today alright. Nice touch with the second lady!

Haha, thanks. I felt like Grellan in Limerick! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great work, you must like the pacing gigs.........or is it the adulation of the crowd!

No, seriously, well done.

Great work, you must like the pacing gigs.........or is it the adulation of the crowd!

No, seriously, well done.

Haha! Ah its nice to get the long runs in while taking in a race atmosphere too. I'd be too lazy these days to do them on my own, going with the flow!:)

One more next weekend and then the party is over. Down to 8 weeks of solid 10km work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great work Blockic, you are a natural at this pacing lark! Pacing on your own on only your second gig is great going. I was reading about that race on Cork Running, and he mentioned the same things you mentioned, about Garmins not being totally accurate and the jarvies getting in the way at times. Sounds like a lovely race though and there will always be teething problems in the first year or so. It seemed to offer real value for money, so I’m sure it will be a popular one in future.

Nice work j, fair play to you for the pacing, it's great to give something back to the running community.

(I think I just puked a bit)

What I really wanted to say was to ask if you managed to get the phone number of the girl you helped over the line???!! You mayaswell put this pacing lark to good use ;)

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Great work Blockic, you are a natural at this pacing lark!

Now if only I could pace myself in 5km races! :D
    Gavlor wrote: »
    What I really wanted to say was to ask if you managed to get the phone number of the girl you helped over the line???!! You mayaswell put this pacing lark to good use ;)

Ha, I've been found out! ;) I was novice you see and went with the 1:30s. The clever clogs went for the 1:45 and 2hr pace. Much more bang for your buck in those groups!

Ha, I've been found out! ;) I was novice you see and went with the 1:30s. The clever clogs went for the 1:45 and 2hr pace. Much more bang for your buck in those groups!

Good choice of words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I would make sure that I got these lads to the finish otherwise I would have been a failure!!

Success is dictated by how even your 5k splits are and how close under target you were, I know what you mean though, in Limerick last year we lost half our pacees on a rise at mile 20, we crested the hill and slowed to a crawl waiting for those that would follow, nada. We started with 60, sent 2 ahead and finished with 3 guys who weren't in the original group. :D Success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

By the time I figured that out it was too late, I was labelled a 1.30 guy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Much more bang for your buck in those groups!

Are you paying for it these days? :pac:

ecoli wrote: »
    By the time I figured that out it was too late, I was labelled a 1.30 guy :D

Hopefully I have got out of that trap just in time so. :D I'll run a slower HM in my next race to be sure I don't get caught for it again! ;)

Big Logger wrote: »
    Are you paying for it these days? :pac:

You have been on fire since your return I must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hopefully I have got out of that trap just in time so. :D I'll run a slower HM in my next race to be sure I don't get caught for it again! ;)

Why do you think I am running sh!te this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck with that 4.9km race later :)

• Advertisement

Bout time you ran a decent race ;)

Advertisement