Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great running dude. You probably already know this but just keep an eye on your recovery when racing so close together (Tuesday, Friday) Especially when you are racing distances you aren't super familiar with- I'd take a few days pretty handy after that race yesterday. Doubling in the 800/3000 is a hell of a workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Great running dude. You probably already know this but just keep an eye on your recovery when racing so close together (Tuesday, Friday) Especially when you are racing distances you aren't super familiar with- I'd take a few days pretty handy after that race yesterday. Doubling in the 800/3000 is a hell of a workout!

Yep, I was treating the two races as my sessions for this week and Tuesday/Friday was probably a day too close together. Had only planned to run the 3,000 originally too.

Let's just say I won't be doing that every week!:) No hard stuff now again until Wednesday so have a good 4 days of easy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Eh excuse me young man but aren't you supposed to be running a MARATHON next week??? What's this about no hard stuff til Wednesday??? Hows about you take it easy a bit and look after that flu... You know it makes sense, you don't want another 5 months of 'chicked by CM' jokes now do you!

Well done on last night btw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great running Blockic - you might even get your picture in the local paper after that..:)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Great running Blockic - you might even get your picture in the local paper after that..:)

Thankfully I missed most of the cameras! :D

Speaking of which here are a few snaps from last night for anyone remotely interested. This is how it all happens down in the countray!! :pac:

Kilkenny County T&F - Day 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Too many jokes come to mind from the 1st number of photos, but the Champions League Final is distracting me..................needless to say, you get the jist.

Too many jokes come to mind from the 1st number of photos, but the Champions League Final is distracting me..................needless to say, you get the jist.

Haha, yeah..delighted I beat the U8 lad on the last corner! :D

I don't know why the Champo League is distracting ya cos it's shockin so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Welcome to a new world, track running reaches parts of your lungs that have previously been unexplored :D
    As others have said just because it is short don't underestimate the recovery needed after these short races, you can of course train to multi-race.

Sunday 26th May

Strawberry Half Marathon

1:45 Pacer

Chip Time: 1:44:49

Early start on Sunday morning to head to Enniscorthy where I was pacing the 1:45 slot with claralara. Was a cracker of a morning weather wise and the place had a real summer feel to it. :) I still had a bit of flu coming on, but was looking forward to the day none the less! claralara on the other hand was full of joy and looking forward to the run. :D

Legs were a bit tired but this was going to be nearly recovery pace for me so the run would do me the world of good. We had a sizeable group starting off but was surprised that after only the third mile we had lost a good few. No denying the route was a bit undulating but it was also a case of people being a tad over ambitious and starting with the wrong group. Nothing at all to do with us being boring! ;)

We soon had a small but quiet group and we were sauntering around and chatting away keeping a good pace. No sign of strawberries though :( A couple of miles after halfway many of our group headed on feeling strong. They had a good thing going, I knew that they would go on to get a good finish. The majority of them did...although there were a couple of sufferers that we caught up with late on.

Things were going well at around the 10 mile mark but a slight climb at 11 miles caused the end for some of our paces. It was tough conditions out there for racers.

In the final mile and a half most of the remainder of the group kick on. The remaining time involved myself and CL shouting at one runner to catch up with us when he was about 150 meters behind. He dug deep and caught up on the downhill into the finish and when he did catch up we continued to hound him all the way to the finish where he just got under the 1:45. I was surprised he didn’t turn around and swing at us! :D He was delighted after though and thanked us for the encouragement/ roaring! :)

Thanks to claralara for the company on the run and to digger for wasting all the permanent marker ink on his balloon design. :pac:

Good to meet chinguetti again and well done to tang1 and belcarra on great races in the tough conditions.

While it might not be a PB course it is certainly an enjoyable one and I would actually considering racing it in the future. It’s a really nice event, everything was organised perfectly and they are always lucky with the weather! As always a big thanks to the volunteers for giving their free time.

Good week for myself with some PBs and a long run under the belt. Had planned to start my 10km sessions this week but instead I’m going to take it somewhat easy to try and get over this flu in time for the Cork City Marathon next Monday which I’ll be running as an LSR.

Currently dosed to the gills on Vitamin C, Iron tablets and paracetamol!! Really looking forward to Monday, should be really good fun.
    :)

Once that's done, party is over and it's well and truely head down for a good few weeks on a 10km plan.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|7m|5.5m|Rest|6m|Rest|16.2m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    35.2m|132.8m|840.2m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Gowran AC are blessed to have you as a member dude. You will only get better & better. You and CL done a great job on getting that man over the line in his goal time. The Cork Fit 10k still the goal race?

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Gowran AC are blessed to have you as a member dude. You will only get better & better. You and CL done a great job on getting that man over the line in his goal time. The Cork Fit 10k still the goal race?

Cheers, yeah there are serious runners in the club that will help me to the next level if I put in the work. Should be good to get in some races and get one over on their bigger neighbours in the months ahead. Never liked black and amber myself! ;)

Unfortunately Cork Fit 10k is the one at the moment, unless I find a decent club organised one in the meantime. The route on the Cork route looks to be good anyway but never really a fan of these for-profit races.

blockic wrote: »
    Never liked black and amber myself! ;).

As long as there not Dubs there alright!! (cue the abuse).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

As long as there not Dubs there alright!! (cue the abuse).

Ah heeer..leave it out!:D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ah heeer..leave it out!:D

I cant really defend myself, Westmeath are going to get there arses handed to them by Dublin in next round of Leinster!! Athlone Half is better than Dublin one though Red!!

Athlone Half is better than Dublin one though Red!!

I will concur with this! Serious effort going into Athlone this year. Hope they are rewarded and done justice with the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I will concur with this! Serious effort going into Athlone this year. Hope they are rewarded and done justice with the numbers.

I'd be seriously tempted alright for a change of scenery from the Phoenix park. Will you be pacing or racing?

I'd be seriously tempted alright for a change of scenery from the Phoenix park.

3 words so i've been told, flat, flat, flat!! And i can advise on any hotel/getting drunk issues you need to know about.

I'd be seriously tempted alright for a change of scenery from the Phoenix park. Will you be pacing or racing?

Raced it last year for prep in Dublin. Flattest race I have run, bar none. The organisers put serious effort in. They have even started a running group every saturday morning in prep where a member of the organising team is there every saturday morning for the run. :eek: Check out their FB page.

I'm not associated with anyone related to this but I was just very impressed last year. A race organised for runners, by runners.

I'll be racing it this year again in prep for Chicago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I've signed up for the DCM race series, but might not make any of the race series due to work travel!
    Am thinking of Athlone half as a back up if Clontarf goes belly up with the wind.
    Don't reckon I'll do the time I want in Dublin.
    If I get to do the Dublin half, maybe doing it at PMP as part of a longer run could be an idea?
    And to Reds point, a change from Phoenix park would be nice.

If I get to do the Dublin half, maybe doing it at PMP as part of a longer run could be an idea?

Yeah, definitely an option that. Would be a great session.

• Advertisement

I've signed up for the DCM race series, but might not make any of the race series due to work travel!
    Am thinking of Athlone half as a back up if Clontarf goes belly up with the wind.
    Don't reckon I'll do the time I want in Dublin.
    And to Reds point, a change from Phoenix park would be nice.

The more the merrier, i'll do my best to keep you insight if you do decide to do it RK. Think c_m is doing it to, could be a good chance for a session!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The more the merrier, i'll do my best to keep you insight if you do decide to do it RK. Think c_m is doing it to, could be a good chance for a session!!
    c_m is going to Charleville the next day.....I've been promised cake ;)

c_m is going to Charleville the next day.....I've been promised cake ;)
    Are you doing the Charleville Half? I might do it, believe it's a flat, fast course. Unfortunately it's the week after I come home from my holidays, so don't know how appealling the thought of dragging my unfit, bloated body round the countryside of Charleville is though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Are you doing the Charleville Half? I might do it, believe it's a flat, fast course. Unfortunately it's the week after I come home from my holidays, so don't know how appealling the thought of dragging my unfit, bloated body round the countryside of Charleville is though!
    Ya I think its a great course. And more importantly the feed after is top class :D

Ya I think its a great course. And more importantly the feed after is top class :D
    I might do it for the craic, I expect to be woefully unfit as I am refusing to take my runners on holiday with me, but it's not far from me and I'm keen to keep running interesting until I start training for the next marathon, so might do it and treat it as a LSR. Might see you there so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You going on holidays AGAIN?

Sure am! The last holiday was ouR spring holiday and then we go on our summer hols in September. One of the perks of not having children, we can waste our money on frivolous things like holidays ;)

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:20 average pace

Can’t remember much about this one other than it was through the castle park for parts of it and I sped up on one section to make sure I got a CR on a running segment on strava. :cool: Marking my territory so to speak! Was a nice evening for it too I recall.

Wednesday
    7 miles club session / 5x1000m

1 mile warm up
    5 x 1000m (3:35, 3:38, 3:41, 3:44, 3:41)
    Each rep was followed by one lap recovery
    1.5 mile cool down

Lead the group around on this one. Disappointed with the splits and I think last week’s racing is catching up with me. Probably going to step back majorly next week to recharge the batteries after the marathon. Listening to the body I think it is needed.

Friday
    6 miles easy / 7:34 average pace

Drove home to Cork on Friday and headed straight out for a planned 6 miler on a glorious evening. Legs a bit stiff but the pace was well within the range required so was happy enough with it. Good few hills on the out and back route too.

Saturday
    Rest

Busy day today between being taxi to a GAA game, golf shopping and heading into the city to the expo. Was in and out in about 2minutes and met up with ncmc for a pre race tactic discussion! :cool:

Good atmosphere around Cork and really looking forward to Monday now. Truth be told the back end of my cold is still lingering but I think I’m all but over it so hopefully it won’t affect me too much on Monday! Let’s hope the people of Cork will be out and to show what the capital is all about! ;)

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8

Best of luck J, remember, water and salt tabs and we'll be sorted! If I don't see you pre race, see you in The Woodford at about 12:46 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Have a good one J, you'll enjoy it I'm sure after Rotterdam.

Advertisement