Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck and Enjoy...try and finish this one;);)
    seriously though plenty of fluids all along the route and then you can take off!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck, see you in the bar afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of *cough cough* luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Monday J, enjoy the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

You've had a phenomenal number of months, probably the most progressed amongst all the Boardsies in the last 12 months, I don't think anyone will begrudge you a nice enjoyable Marathon in your home town (as enjoyable as running in Cork can be :) )

Enjoy the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Great run today J

And taking it easy whilst doing it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great run today J

And taking it easy whilst doing it !!!

+1 - great running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good man. Nice time, nice easy run for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running today. You seem to attract the good weather in marathons though.Thank God you're doing Chicago and not Dublin later in the year!:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great stuff J Well done Order is restored :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I thought you were somebodies supportive relative when I met you in the pub - not a feckin bother on ya! Congratulations - a great run today J!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well done on your run today,didn't seem to knock anything out of you.

Looked like ye were settling in for the long haul when I left;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Result?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Result?:)

3:12:55 on webpage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

The sand bagger was cruising around the whole way even in that humidity ! Just shows what you can do in Chicago, great to meet ya again and enjoy the session!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done J. all demons firmly put to rest....Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice PB J, if every race a PB rave now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done blockic great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

He's way too committed to running for pb raves ;)

Well done today j, nice way to banish the demons.

I reckon you must have been a bit nervy when you saw the weather today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done blocky. You are now faster than my 3rd fastest marathon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gavlor wrote: »
    He's way too committed to running for pb raves ;)

Well done today j, nice way to banish the demons.

That was a tired, fat fingered, autocorrect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done J, super comeback!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Jesus... 3.12 marathon while you are taking it easy!
    Chicago is going to get some treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks everyone, was a great day and I'll get the report up over the next couple days.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Great running today. You seem to attract the good weather in marathons though.Thank God you're doing Chicago and not Dublin later in the year!:D;)

Yeah..looks like I got the Krusty curse!
    Beef wrote: »
    I thought you were somebodies supportive relative when I met you in the pub - not a feckin bother on ya! Congratulations - a great run today J!

Nice one Beef! I did feel fine after it, first time I havn't thrown up after a marathon!! :) Well done on grinding it out there yourself. I was in a bad condition too after DCM in October which was also my first, so your not alone on that front. Another good training block now and you won't feel half as bad for the next one.
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Rave? I can barely handle a pub for 2 hours anymore before I start falling asleep! Even Aimman lasted longer than me! :D
    Gavlor wrote: »

Yep, I sure was. Further details will be in the report!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done blocky. You are now faster than my 3rd fastest marathon :pac:

Ha, enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Well done!

Monday 3rd June

Cork City Marathon

Chip Time: 3:12:35 - PB
    Average Pace: 7.16 / mile
    Result: 87/1207

Monday was the day that everything went full circle. It was watching the marathon in Cork on the June Bank Holiday last year that triggered my want to run a marathon, hence DCM followed, then Rotterdam and now here I was going back to where all this madness started. :D

It was not my A goal but I had always intended to run Cork as a fun run as it was the ‘home’ marathon, simply for enjoyment. For about 48hrs after the disaster in April I had considered giving the sub 3 a bash again but I thought better of it. There was no point attempting a quick fix when there was a more sensible approach lined up in the form of Chicago in October.

So, the goal for Cork was to run a solid paced training run, help improve the endurance aspect of my running and banish all the demons from my previous marathon experience.

Prior to Monday, I still personally had questions over my endurance, particularly after 20 miles in marathons, based on my last two outings. Cork would turn out to firmly put these doubts to bed for me.

Pre-Race

Not an ideal week of preparation as a cold I had the week previous that was still lingering. Even on the Friday I had thoughts that I might not even be able to run! I was raging! However, the weekend saw a good improvement and by Monday morning I felt I was in good condition to run.

There was one pivotal change to my pre-race prep this time round. In addition to taking on plenty water in the days prior, I also took on some dioralyte sachets to ensure that all the water consumption did not dilute my salts before I even started! This was a major mistake last time out where I failed to do this.

It’s great to be able to stay at home the night before and avoid all the travelling/hotels etc. Had a good breakfast and drove into town where I met up with a few boardsies prior to the off, including the pink panther and druggie trying to deal a bag of white tablets ;) After a quick Hi to Aimman I headed for the start line and introduced myself to EauRouge79 and TFBubendorfer the 3:15 pacers. I figured 3:15 pace would be a solid training pace for me (7:20ish) as my easy runs are normally in around the 7:40 mark. It would turn out that I would stay with them for the majority of the race.

It was very hot and humid but cloudy which was a slight relief as we would not have the sun beating down to sap all the energy out of you. I was a bit anxious about running another marathon in the heat though but the fact I would be at practically easy pace this time around made me relax a bit.

Race
    After a few words of encouragement from Rob Heffernan for the participants the gun went and we were off.

0-6 miles
    The first four miles consist of a small loop around the city centre and then an out and back trip to Blackpool. Here I just sat in with the pace group taking in all the sights and atmosphere. It wasn’t long before we were at the first water station. This is where I would again do things differently. Instead of grabbing a cup and dumping it 50m down the road, this time there were bottles and I made sure I carried it with me and finished every last drop sometimes maybe 1-2 miles down the road. The miles were flying along and I got a shout out from Steroo as we left the city. Soon we were at Silversprings and the first relay changeover. Atmosphere was fantastic passing here and gave the group a good buzz. We continued on down the lower Glanmire road and at this stage I was on my third water bottle (250ml) and first gel. I have never seen so many stations on a route, which was great as it was a day they would be badly needed. I made sure where possible throughout the route that I thanked the volunteers and supporters as I didn’t have to focus entirely on the race.

(7:10, 7:27, 7:29, 7:19, 7:30, 7:19)

7-13miles
    Onto the Jack Lynch tunnel and was really looking forward to this, a nice downhill section but then a bit of a drag followed, all was very comfortable for me and at this stage I started talking to EauRouge and revealed my boards identity. Thomas was quiet and I think he was just avoiding not getting sick but he held it together! On past Mahon Point and I noticed many runners were running on the outside without a need to so I found myself telling them to take the better racing line and save themselves a few steps. Here I took my first salt tablet another change from last time out where I took none. (thanks to meno here, they are a revelation to me instead of high5 tabs!)The run though Ringmahon road was uneventful apart from passing the Half start and all was very muted with 20mins to go to scheduled start. We then started the Harty Quay loop around the harbour but there was no issues with congestion and we had a nice westerly breeze. Just before halfway I dipped it for a toilet break before then crossing the half marathon mark in 1:37:45

(7:32, 7:26, 7:19, 7:04, 7:01, 7:20, 7:19)

14-20miles
    The pacers were now about 400m ahead but I knew I’d haul them back but I took my time. On my way back (over about 3 miles), we went through the railway line (second gel), marina where I spotted the family and then onto Albert Quay. As I was hauling the pacers back in I was meeting the runners falling off the back of the pace group so when I passed I gave them encouragement and tried to get them to stay with me to slowly haul them back in. Unfortunately many attempted but none managed to stick with me, About 20 seconds a mile faster was just too hot for them. I slowed more to get them to follow but no luck.

Caught the pace group going out the south link and I couldn’t believe we were at mile 17 already, I didn’t want it to end! The turners cross exit was a brute of a hill that if you were suffering it would kill you off (second salt tablet). The group was spreading out now on what is probably the toughest part of the route going out towards Wilton and as we passed the Lough I drenched myself in a sponge, must have been about a litre of water in it! Speaking of water I’m sure the river is almost empty after me! Was on about bottle 6-7 at this stage.

(7:54, 7:02, 7:05, 7:02, 7:19, 7:24, 7:23)

21-26.2 miles
    After another quick but hard incline we turned down the wilton road (last gel) and a left for Model Farm Road and the last climb. This was a tough long drag for racing but not steep. I was running alongside EauRouge here but we held back a bit to try and hold onto some paces as there was 30 odd seconds in the bank. Truth be told I had been holding myself back for about 5 or 6 miles at this stage and had to keep telling myself I wasn’t racing it.

At the crest of the final hill we were down to a massive 4 in the group, 2 pacers and 2 pacees from what started with about 40. :eek: I had made the mental decision to just wait until the end of the Carrigrohane straight before kicking on and so it turned out with 2 miles to go I thanked the lads for the company and threw on the after burners, now for the fun bit :), 24 miles into a marathon and chewing up the road, endurance questions banished and it would be my most enjoyable marathon finish to date. I was picking off lots of runners and felt really strong.

Now we were back on the quays and I could hear the finish, another big shout from Steroo who seemed to pop-up in all the right places was returned with a thumbs up and I upped it to about HMP. The atmosphere was amazing and as good as Dublin. Patrick Street was a real amphitheatre and I was delighted to be in a position to enjoy it! :) Saw three lads on the finishing straight and passed all three going at what felt like 10km pace, including the last guy with 100metres to go. Over the finish line, job done.

(7:10, 7:19, 7:05, 7:39, 6:59, 6:51, 6:05)

The morning marathon was completed and the second one began in the Woodford! :D

Post-Race Analysis
    Now I know 100% that endurance is not an issue for me. It is just the combination of pace and endurance! I have to admit that Meno did state this to me a month or so back to give him credit but it’s not until you do it yourself that you come to realise it on your own terms.
    The whole race didn’t feel tough at any stage for me, and it doesn't really feel like a PB. I was very comfortable throughout which bodes very well for my second sub 3 (and proper PB) attempt in October. :)

I thought the whole race was very well organised, but the half did have some issues. The support was great except for the 18-20miles which was a bit quiet but the relay changeovers were a great buzz. The highlight was by far belting over Patricks Bridge and seeing the mass crowds lining the finishing straight. Electric! Proud of the show that Cork put on and I hope the non-natives enjoyed the experience just as much as I did! Will be definitely doing it again.

Tough hot conditions to be racing it so well done to all the boardies who finished. Regardless of times. I can relate to how hard it can be. For those who didn’t manage this time round and have had a bad experience just remember that not all marathons will feel like that. The next one will feel all the sweeter when you finish.

Finally, thanks to EauRouge and TFBubendorfer for the company on marathon one and to all the boardies who took part in marathon two for the remainder of the day. :pac: Aimman showed us all up by being the last man standing. Your company made the day all the better.

So that’s it. Next up for me, beer mile training! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great report J and great outcome. My favourite bit was:
    Cork would turn out to firmly put these doubts to bed for me

nothing like seeing demons being exorcised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Excellent report Blocky, you are a bloody legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great race, and encouraging that you finished so strong. Sets you up nicely for Chicago training. Look forward to meeting you at beer mile!

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Nothing like seeing demons being exorcised.

Definitely. Probably the sweetest part of the whole race and I reckon that this race will have been a very important one for me in the long term.

Confidence in being able to conquer the distance comfortably will help to no end.

Advertisement