Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That marathon pack would last me 5 marathons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Aimman wrote: »
    Not sure how much those cost, but I've used the Zero tablets, particularly in the warm weather. I used them in cork and for pacing gigs, I keep them handy in case someone cramps up, they'll disolve easily in water (unless you wrap them up, yes... you know who you are)
    Younganne wrote: »

Nice one, I actually have used these all the way up to Monday when I converted!

I'd say they are good for getting phone numbers among the pacees alright Aimman! ;) but I find them a bit messy trying to pop them into a bottle and them having to drink all the bottle to get the benefit.

The capsules are over and done with in 2 seconds, all you have to do it swallow and you are done. Suits me better (I've teed it up nicely for ya their now digger! ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

blockic wrote: »

I'd say they are good for getting phone numbers among the pacees alright Aimman! ;)

I have my 'International Pacer' Business Cards for that. Laminated so that they don't fall to pieces by the end of the race (the cards, not the other runners)

So time for a bit of an update....by saying there is nothing to update! :D

No running for me since the marathon Monday. A planned week's rest which would have to coinside with the hottest week of the year which was absolute torture for me not to go out and run! :rolleyes::( So jealous.

I have been running non-stop since last July so felt this week off was a right choice to recharge the batteries a bit. Barring injury it will be my longest break from running from now until November. I feel it will do me good long term.

Back at it tomorrow now with a 6 week 10km plan anf then straight into the next marathon cycle...Bring it!!

When I say no running since Monday I did go out tonight for a quick beer mile session. :D Details here...

It ain't gonna be pretty!! :eek:

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    26.5m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|1m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    27.5m|27.5m|886.7m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Loved the beer mile report! Look fwd to taking u down on Friday!

• Advertisement

Loved the beer mile report! Look fwd to taking u down on Friday!

You'll beat me in this one alright, just shows...it's all about the beering and nothing to do with the running! :p

Monday
    7.6 miles T session (incl. 2+2T) / 7:12 average pace

So Monday marked the start of my 10km training block and I started with a bang after 6 days rest. Brought forward this one as I have a different session on Friday night. ;) My target T pace is 6:10 and this session nearly broke me. Will be doing 40mins T next week! :eek:

2 miles easy

2 miles @ T (6:26, 6:20)

3min recovery jog
    2 miles @ T (6:28, 6:21)
    1.2 miles cool down

Splits do not look great but I definitely felt it was tempo effort which is all that matters and I’m not concerned. I was under tree coverage in the park and the loop I picked was up and down so they were factors in the splits also I reckon. Will be picking a flat route next time with no tree coverage to see where I am really at!

Tuesday
    6.1 miles easy / 7:41 average pace

This was routine and a makey uppy route as I went along.

Followed it up with 20 minutes of core work. Will be doing this 3 times a week for the foreseeable future as it is a weakness of mine at the moment. Hoping to put that right :cool:

Wednesday
    7.5 miles club session / 12 x 400m @ 3k pace (60” recovery)

First time in a couple of weeks hitting up a club session, never an easy day around here!

2 miles warm up
    12 x 800m (81, 79, 79, 80, 81, 80, 79, 80, 80, 80, 76, 75)

1.5 miles cool down

In hindsight I ran the first few of these a couple of seconds too slow (target 79 a rep), which can be seen by the strong finish, live and learn. Happy enough all the same and I reckon I was stopping my watch too late more than anything else ;)

Thursday
    5 miles easy / 7:50 average pace

Hated this one, just wanted it to be over for whatever reason, probably because I have other priorities now....

½ Beer mile final session takes place tonight after dark. Need to knock 10 seconds off my sculling of a beer at least. Will be tough but I’ve been base building the last 2 nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wednesday
    7.5 miles club session / 12 x 800m @ 3k pace (60” recovery)[/COLOR]

First time in a couple of weeks hitting up a club session, never an easy day around here!

2 miles warm up

1.5 miles cool down

In hindsight I ran the first few of these a couple of seconds too slow (target 79 a rep), which can be seen by the strong finish, live and learn. Happy enough all the same and I reckon I was stopping my watch too late more than anything else ;)

Those are pretty fast 800's, I am surprised you can break the world record so consitently ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Those are pretty fast 800's, I am surprised you can break the world record so consitently ;)

I had a beer between them an all!! :D;)...you're quietly confident I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Remember I've never done a session like this in my life but I'm assuming you are not running 800m in 80secs so what do these figs represent? or should that be 12 x 400m?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I had a beer between them an all!! :D;)...you're quietly confident I see!

No, I am quietly ****ting myself, I am loudly confident. There's a big difference ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »
    No, I am quietly ****ting myself, I am loudly confident. There's a big difference ;)

Different running event, same approach ;)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. Remember I've never done a session like this in my life but I'm assuming you are not running 800m in 80secs so what do these figs represent? or should that be 12 x 400m?

Beat ya to it! wink.png Yeah meno kindly pointed out my mistype...bloody drink. pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yeah..just saw that immediately after I posted it:o

So it was a stupid question after all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ok, what's T pace and why is it so slow??

Gavlor wrote: »
    Ok, what's T pace and why is it so slow??

Slow?...rolleyes.png we all don't run as fast as you lad!

T pace is tempo/threshold pace in Daniels book. It's the exact same as lactate threshold pace in P&D, except T is much shorter and I'm lazy. You should read some of these things. Might benefit ya! tongue.png

Slow?...rolleyes.png we all don't run as fast as you lad!

T pace is tempo/threshold pace in Daniels book. It's the exact same as lactate threshold pace in P&D, except T is much shorter and I'm lazy. You should read some of these things. Might benefit ya! tongue.png

You might run a bit faster and forget about these fancy terms that only serve to mess with your mind and make you go slower ;)

You might run a bit faster and forget about these fancy terms that only serve to mess with your mind and make you go slower ;)

Well if you read them, you might realise that it's the endurance you need to work on and not your speed....but I know nothing! :pac:;)

Well if you read them, you might realise that it's the endurance you need to work on and not your speed....but I know nothing! :pac:;)

Are u not training for 10k?!

I'm not hopping a ball here, I'm just wondering why you need to work on endurance for a 10k considering you've ran 2 marathons this year

I was giving you tips there! Not me! :cool: :p

• Advertisement

I was giving you tips there! Not me! :cool: :p

Funny guy..... Who's fastest over almost every distance??! I'll find an 800m just to beat you at that too!! :D

Hm will be taken care of in 2 weeks ;)

I regret editing my previous post now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm not hopping a ball here, I'm just wondering why you need to work on endurance for a 10k considering you've ran 2 marathons this year

If I can jump in here for a second just on this point. Having marathon effort does not necessary translate to the type of endurance required for a 10k. Training for a 10k requires a somewhat different type of endurance than a marathon. A marathon is ideally run just above your lactate threshold pace. A 10k however needs to run at faster than your lactate threshold meaning you need to get your body used to dealing with the extra lactate acid that builds up at this faster pace. One way of doing this is to train your at your lactate threshold, like blockic is doing, this will get his body more used to shifting away excess lactic acid, providing you hit the correct pace (or threshold). Pace runs (at goal race pace) are then included to get the body adapted to running at this race pace effort.

pconn062 wrote: »
    If I can jump in here for a second just on this point. Having marathon effort does not necessary translate to the type of endurance required for a 10k. Training for a 10k requires a somewhat different type of endurance than a marathon. A marathon is ideally run just above your lactate threshold pace. A 10k however needs to run at faster than your lactate threshold meaning you need to get your body used to dealing with the extra lactate acid that builds up at this faster pace. One way of doing this is to train your at your lactate threshold, like blockic is doing, this will get his body more used to shifting away excess lactic acid, providing you hit the correct pace (or threshold). Pace runs (at goal race pace) are then included to get the body adapted to running at this race pace effort.

Great point pconn, makes total sense. Having had a look around at different plans and getting advise here and there the lactate threshold runs are key for 10km training.

I'm going to have a Tempo run every week for this reason and then alternating between 5km and 10km sessions every second week to supplement. Now I;m going to stop typing as I have had 3 bottles in less than 7 minutes.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What plan you basing this off Block(hic)?

is it your own makey uppy (like mine is) or structured strongly from 1-2 plans??

What plan you basing this off Block(hic)?

is it your own makey uppy (like mine is) or structured strongly from 1-2 plans??

I took a stab at my own and then a speedster at the club ;) looked it over and made some small adjustments. Happy with it overall. Stongly based on 2 sessions a week (progressing) and a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I thought he had only ran one ??

I thought he had only ran one ??

Ran two, completed one VR! :D Ran cork there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Ran two, completed one VR! :D Ran cork there last week.

I was having a snigger as I had heard you now run for The enemy

I was having a snigger as I had heard you now run for The enemy

:D...ha, I just couldn't face the black and amber!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Where is the beer mile report, or are you still recovering? Sounds like it was disgusting yet great craic :)

Advertisement