Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Where is the beer mile report, or are you still recovering? Sounds like it was disgusting yet great craic :)

Still suffering big time. Yesterday a write off! Will get to it today hopefully!!

Friday 14th June

National Beer Mile Championship :pac:

Chip Time: 10:07
    Result: 8th place

Last Friday, event of the year hands down and I was delighted to be a part of it. I felt good in the lead up as I had the work done having two pretty solid sessions under the belt in the lead up. The aim was to finish with a sub 10 being a bonus.

After sourcing my drink of choice in the city centre (Corona 355ml), I rocked out to the venue with plenty time to spare. I was more nervous than any race I have ran this year, it was the national championships after all, the nerves were bound to set in. ;)

On arrival the rain started to bucket down and before long we were soaked through, it was like the depths of winter! Good banter before the race including a few strange looks from passers-by as runners, pirates, zombies and the likes were seen loitering in the park with drink, they must have thought we should be locked up, we probably should be.

I brought my “Josh Harris” hat to wear during the race for good luck. The only comparisons I would be able to make with him after the night was out! Couple more minutes hanging around with a few instructions from Dr.Q and we were off.

Gasps of admiration from the crowd as YellowFeather laid down the gauntlet early, followed shortly by pirate. I was not going too bad myself and first beer went down smooth in a PB of 33 seconds.

Took the first lap handy to conserve energy, this was a marathon, not a sprint. Soon back at transition and the second beer was that bit tougher. Downed it in a major increase of 54 seconds. Second lap again was taken steady, burping in full flow. Into the third transition and the sub 10 was slipping away. Digger and CL were behind me at this stage, once I stayed ahead of them, I would have been happy enough. Nothing in training prepares you for the struggle on the third and fourth beers, torture! Started to get numerous stitches at this point so I had to be careful, didn’t get the exact split on the third beer but I reckon it was in around the 1 min mark.

As I commenced the third lap, cheers bellowed out across all of Dublin as meno emptied his stomach! (still denies it!) I passed him in absolute delight with a big scalp in the bag!! :D

Last beer was a disaster and the game was up, a shocking 1:39 and to make matters worse I saw a nun (RK) lap me as he came into finish, this would never be let down. Definitely the dark horse of the event. I started the last lap in not a bad position with heckles from RunningKing about how a nun with sunglasses had lapped me. :(

Instead of kicking on and powering home, the opposite happened. I had to slow to ensure that I wouldn’t throw up, it was a very close call. With 100m to go I knew I’d make it and sprinted home. No time for celebration, only to find a location in preparation to get sick. Probably looked like a dog looking for a place to take a sh!te! Soon I saw digger looking for a similar spot. Thankfully it didn’t come to pass but it took a good 20minutes before the nausea disappeared and St. John’s ambulance gave me the all clear :D;)

Happy to get a couple of scalps including some of the favourites in the lead up, ecoli and meno. The prior having a horrific day at the office. What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger. :)

Great banter in the pub after with the highlights being the looks of shock and horror from the locals as we walked in soaked to the skin as they watched the golf! Also, the instant conversion of the lad’s toilets to a changing room. TRR was very modest in the victory speech ;) as he saw the cup finally coming home after 3 years of hurt! A pirate never forgets. Gutted I declined the autograph after too. Next time. :pac:

The evening managed to even surpass the big hype and build up and without doubt was a great success. A big thanks to Dr.Q for putting in all the work and to MS, Pconn, Kurt and all the other volunteers and supporters for making it all happen. Can’t wait until the next one, those 7 seconds will eat at me until then.

Could maybe even start a series based on the park run project! Beer run! :pac:

It is simple, If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Back to just running until then I suppose :(

Splits: Beer/Lap

0:33 / 1:24
    0:54 / 1:31
    1:04 / 1:34
    1:39 / 1:28

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

On a positive note I reckon Gavlor won't be using your Rotterdam marathon to slag anymore..... the beer mile probably gives him enough material for the rest of the year.

Great report by the way, and fair play for giving it a lash

Sunday
    13.5 miles LSR / 7:28 average pace

Nice long run this evening with asimonov on a beast of a route, locally known as a bit of a drag :eek:. Serious climbs but kept a great pace which I was happy with, stunning views too. Weather was similar to Beer Mile conditions on Friday but cleared up by the finish.

These are the runs and routes that will really stand to me as I keep the long runs ticking over. Week 1 of the 10km plan down and off to a good start.

258504.png

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    7.6m|6m|7.5m|5m|1m|Rest|13.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    40.7m|68.2m|927.4m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dazza21ie wrote: »
    On a positive note I reckon Gavlor won't be using your Rotterdam marathon to slag anymore..... the beer mile probably gives him enough material for the rest of the year.

Great report by the way, and fair play for giving it a lash

As soon as I sober up from a 3 day wake, I'll pass comment on that pitiful performance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »
    Sunday
    13.5 miles LSR / 7:28 average pace

Nice long run this evening with asimonov on a beast of a route, locally known as a bit of a drag :eek:. Serious climbs but kept a great pace which I was happy with, stunning views too. Weather was similar to Beer Mile conditions on Friday but cleared up by the finish.

These are the runs and routes that will really stand to me as I keep the long runs ticking over. Week 1 of the 10km plan down and off to a good start.

258504.png

About half the length and about a quarter of the climbing that will be required on July 6th!:P

belcarra wrote: »
    About half the length and about a quarter of the climbing that will be required on July 6th!:P

I was thinking on the way round on Sunday what the hell I had signed myself up for with the WW!! :eek: Will be a slower pace though...thank fcuk!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Beer mile sounds savage. Definitely want to do it next year. Nice hill work there on the LSR, looks fairly nasty.

Monday
    7.8 miles easy / 8:14 average pace

A nice easy run to kick off the week, ran this with company so it was slowed down a bit. Didn’t mind as it’s better than running solo. Running out of routes at this stage, need to expand the horizons and be more adventurous.

20min core / 20 min roller

Also started back at the core work again. I’ve been keeping the stretching/ foam rolling up all along but I’m going to start recording it here now just for the record.

Wednesday
    9.7 miles club session / 6 x 800m

2.6 mile easy
    6 x 800m (2:43, 2:47, 2:46, 2:48, 2:47, 2:44)
    400m recoveries
    2.7 mile easy

Hot warm conditions for this one and struggled in the last 2 but glad I kept the pace relatively even, think I’m lacking a bit of sharpness and just a bit of umph at the moment :confused: , hopefully more of these weekly sessions will sort it out. Trip for bloods in order too, being meaning to do it for a few weeks now.

20 min core / 20min roller

Thursday
    5.5 miles recovery / 8:50 average pace

I’ve been passing Jenkinstown Woods daily now for a few years and yet it only clicked with me last week that it could be a potential running location, I decided to pop in there after work last night, lovely peaceful spot and there will be more recovery runs here in the weeks to come. A nice drag as well halfway around the loop which could be the perfect spot for hill reps too.

My foot is a bit swollen from the session the night before or some reason, doesn’t affect my stride and not painful when running so will continue to plough on. Just know it is there.

Friday
    8.5 miles T session (incl. 40’ T) / 6:46 average pace

Real tough session tonight but pretty happy with how it turned out. Headed out the Waterford road through Danesfort and on as far as the motorway and back.

1.2 mile warm up
    40 min straight @ T (6:20, 6:19, 6:18, 6:20, 6:18, 6:06, 6:00)
    1 mile cool down

The tempo totalled 6.4 miles, wanted to average about 6:15, reckon I was there or thereabouts. The first 2 miles were against the wind, third was up hill , fourth and fifth were level with the sixth slightly downhill and flat. Really happy with the finish even though I was feeling it, simply due to the fact I have not done one of these in quite a while (February I think).

At 20mins in I almost quit on it to do a 20+20 but I HTFU and powered on. Delighted I didn’t quit in hindsight as I would be fuming now. :)

Have a good benchmark now to work on, will repeat this in a few weeks and see if any progress is made.

20 min roller

Cross training with a round of golf tomorrow and then LSR on Sunday. Might go down and support the club at the Pink Rock 10km first though as it’s the County 10km. As much as I’m tempted to run it; the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ;)

(copyright RunningKing)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Savage session this evening, fair play for keeping that up for 40 mins! I'd second Jenkinstown being a nice spot as well, my wife's from nearby and we had our wedding photos taken there on a lovely sunny July day a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Savage session this evening, fair play for keeping that up for 40 mins! I'd second Jenkinstown being a nice spot as well, my wife's from nearby and we had our wedding photos taken there on a lovely sunny July day a few years ago.

You married a cat! :eek: May the force be with you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

You married a cat! :eek: May the force be with you! ;)
    Well I grew up there myself so it's not so bad ;)

Well I grew up there myself so it's not so bad ;)

Better watch what I say so about Kilkenny on here going forward!! :D

If you're ever down around here and fancy a run gimme a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

jeez - had to look twice at your 800's & tempo splits. I think there's a mistake on the last mile of your tempo??? :)

The main thing is my mantra this week - I've discounted 2 key races as I'm developing my Marathon plan, inc the Flatline, which was a key race for me.

Your sessions are super, your recovery pace is super, your beer mile sucks.

:)

Monday
    7.8 miles easy / 8:14 average pace

A nice easy run to kick off the week, ran this with company so it was slowed down a bit. Didn’t mind as it’s better than running solo. Running out of routes at this stage, need to expand the horizons and be more adventurous.

20min core / 20 min roller

Also started back at the core work again. I’ve been keeping the stretching/ foam rolling up all along but I’m going to start recording it here now just for the record.

Wednesday
    9.7 miles club session / 6 x 800m

2.6 mile easy
    6 x 800m (2:43, 2:47, 2:46, 2:48, 2:47, 2:44)
    400m recoveries
    2.7 mile easy

Hot warm conditions for this one and struggled in the last 2 but glad I kept the pace relatively even, think I’m lacking a bit of sharpness and just a bit of umph at the moment :confused: , hopefully more of these weekly sessions will sort it out. Trip for bloods in order too, being meaning to do it for a few weeks now.

20 min core / 20min roller

Thursday
    5.5 miles recovery / 8:50 average pace

I’ve been passing Jenkinstown Woods daily now for a few years and yet it only clicked with me last week that it could be a potential running location, I decided to pop in there after work last night, lovely peaceful spot and there will be more recovery runs here in the weeks to come. A nice drag as well halfway around the loop which could be the perfect spot for hill reps too.

My foot is a bit swollen from the session the night before or some reason, doesn’t affect my stride and not painful when running so will continue to plough on. Just know it is there.

Friday
    8.5 miles T session (incl. 40’ T) / 6:46 average pace

Real tough session tonight but pretty happy with how it turned out. Headed out the Waterford road through Danesfort and on as far as the motorway and back.

1.2 mile warm up
    40 min straight @ T (6:20, 6:19, 6:18, 6:20, 6:18, 6:06, 6:00)
    1 mile cool down

The tempo totalled 6.4 miles, wanted to average about 6:15, reckon I was there or thereabouts. The first 2 miles were against the wind, third was up hill , fourth and fifth were level with the sixth slightly downhill and flat. Really happy with the finish even though I was feeling it, simply due to the fact I have not done one of these in quite a while (February I think).

At 20mins in I almost quit on it to do a 20+20 but I HTFU and powered on. Delighted I didn’t quit in hindsight as I would be fuming now. :)

Have a good benchmark now to work on, will repeat this in a few weeks and see if any progress is made.

20 min roller

Cross training with a round of golf tomorrow and then LSR on Sunday. Might go down and support the club at the Pink Rock 10km first though as it’s the County 10km. As much as I’m tempted to run it; the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ;)

(copyright RunningKing)

That was a great session.... Are you running in waterford next weekend??

Gavlor wrote: »
    That was a great session.... Are you running in waterford next weekend??

Cheers, nope won't be near waterford next week, will be in Carton House! :cool:

Sunday
    14 miles LSR / 7:31 average pace

Nice LSR to finish off the week in the glorious evening sunshine yesterday, loved the first 12 miles but for the last 2 I just wanted it over with, partly due to the fact I was trying to find a place to tag on the miles near home. Neck was a bit stiff during it and woke up during the night with my neck in bits, must have pulled something playing golf Saturday.

So no run tonight as a result and will see how it is in the morning.

Also after the run yesterday I was feeling fine initially but within 20mins I began to feel sick. Half an hour in the bathroom trying to get the stomach contents up but to no avail, simply due to the fact that nothing was in there! A further hour lying down and the crappy feeling passed.

I have had this before, the common denominator being whey protein intake after my run.

Happened my last year twice in the lead up to DCM and I had it narrowed down to products with the 2:1:1 BCAA’s breakdown contained in it. I cut this stuff out and have been going fine with regular Whey Protein since, up until yesterday that is….bit clueless now if I have to cut that out too. :confused: Within 10 mins of consuming it I get the nausea, I rarely have issues in this department!

I’ll give it one more shot but if it happens again that will be gone too, It’s a horrible feeling for the short time in which I have it (even though I know it will pass after a bit), one that I don’t want to experience too often!

Couldn’t have dinner until 10:30pm as a result! :mad:

Moan over!:rolleyes:

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    7.8m|Rest|9.7m|5.5m|8.5m|Rest|14m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    45.5m|113.7m|972.9m

Try pea protein.. Less of the crap and does the same job, unless you are trying to put on mass

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Nice running there Blockic - looks like you'll sail through the 1,000M mark this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Try pea protein.. Less of the crap and does the same job, unless you are trying to put on mass

+1. Been taking it for about 4 months. Got it online. Pea protein isolate and its pretty cheap. Don't find the taste too bad. As gavlor says no sugar and flavouring crap .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Nice tempo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Also after the run yesterday I was feeling fine initially but within 20mins I began to feel sick. Half an hour in the bathroom trying to get the stomach contents up but to no avail, simply due to the fact that nothing was in there! A further hour lying down and the crappy feeling passed.

I have had this before, the common denominator being whey protein intake after my run.

Have you tried other alternatives like a mile shake with banana, peanut butter, honey and a raw egg? (as long as you dont have a nut alergy)

Or even peanut butter on toast?

Might just be an alternative from making up powdered products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Aimman wrote: »
    Have you tried other alternatives like a mile shake with banana, peanut butter, honey and a raw egg? (as long as you dont have a nut alergy)

Or even peanut butter on toast?

Might just be an alternative from making up powdered products.

Protein is an interesting topic.
    Personally, I've found that I can't get enough every day, despite having eggs, chicken etc. I eat a healthy diet, but still can't get the recommended amount.

The powder is a convenient way to increase it by 20g or so, while still doing what you suggest above.
    As in Blockics case, getting the right protein is difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey guys

I use these lads as recovery drinks - the chocolate one tastes lovely. I noticed a massive difference on a Monday after a long Sunday run after taking a drink within an hour of a Sunday long run.

Recovery - http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/recovery-xs/10529568.html?rbm=a

Day to Day all Rounder - http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/hurricane-xs/10530268.html?rbm=a

MP649069 is my referal code if you end up ordering - ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Just picking up on this thread now and by god it makes for interesting reading. Got up to page 40 or something but have to hit the hay now. I think its made my challenge all the little bit harder but it's a challenge and it's meant to be tough. Keep up the good work anyway and enjoy carton house, wish I could have been there too but will have to make due with the fairways of my home course Sat & Sun instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Just picking up on this thread now and by god it makes for interesting reading. Got up to page 40 or something but have to hit the hay now. I think its made my challenge all the little bit harder but it's a challenge and it's meant to be tough. Keep up the good work anyway and enjoy carton house, wish I could have been there too but will have to make due with the fairways of my home course Sat & Sun instead!

Page 42 is quite a treat, its where the affair starts between Blocky and Gavlor.

Big Logger wrote: »
    Page 42 is quite a treat, its where the affair starts between Blocky and Gavlor.

WRONG....... That's when it became public ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

WRONG....... That's when it became public ;)

What page was it where Rasher_m started getting jealous of it and started taking it out on poor young Blockic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What page was it where Rasher_m started getting jealous of it and started taking it out on poor young Blockic?

BLocky was an ungrateful swine, after me looking out for him.
    I guess the pacing jobs and gavlors big......mutton head was more alluring

• Advertisement

Just picking up on this thread now and by god it makes for interesting reading. Got up to page 40 or something but have to hit the hay now. I think its made my challenge all the little bit harder but it's a challenge and it's meant to be tough. Keep up the good work anyway and enjoy carton house, wish I could have been there too but will have to make due with the fairways of my home course Sat & Sun instead!

Cheers sydneybound, sorry to put you through 40 pages of me blabbing :D but hopefully you picked up some useful snippets in there hidden in between! I'll have to read it back myself someday but I'll stick to looking forward for the moment.

Golf used to be my main hobby, but recently it has been put on the back burner and I only get out on a rare occasion, I have found it is very hard to do both! Others have had similar experiences here with the soccer etc. Once you get hooked on the running, some things that were important before, suddenly become less of a priority, it's some sort of addiction! :eek:

Spotted your log there also, best of luck with the quest, will be following your journey.

Advertisement