Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Saturday
    Rest
    I could not have got anymore rest yesterday if I tried. The entire day was spent either in bed or on the couch with a blanket around me feeling sorry for myself. Never again!:(
    That's what all the alcoholics say :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Friday
    Rest
    Legs were feeling very tired this week so i made an executive decision to take a couple of days off. (Had nothing to do with the fact that I had 12 pubs of Christmas on Friday night :D)

Saturday
    Rest
    I could not have got anymore rest yesterday if I tried. The entire day was spent either in bed or on the couch with a blanket around me feeling sorry for myself. Never again!:(

Sunday
    12miles / 7:40 average pace (incl. 6m @ 10m pace)

Still a bit groggy today but headed out on my long run. This was the toughest session I had since I started DCM training back in July. Worse than any 20mile LSR!!:eek: Mr. Evil ;) was punishing me for going out friday night. Session included 3 mile warm-up, 3 X 2 miles @ 10 mile pace with 4min recovery between reps and a 2 mile cool down. First rep was ok, second and third were torture! No pain, no gain eh?!:)

Was aiming for 6:40 pace on the reps but didn't work out.

The three 2 mile average pace splits were: 6:45, 6:46, 6:42

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|3m|5m|2.1m|Rest|Rest|12m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    22.1m|37.2m|563.35m

Great session on Sunday. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Monday
    5.6 miles easy / 8:23 average pace

Left early and decided to run down to the core class, Ran 4 miles first, done the class and then another mile and a half back home after. 2in1...Class!:cool: putastic!

Core Strengthening & Flexibility
    Class 4/6

Tuesday
    Cross Training
    30 min bike / 20 min cross-trainer / 10 min stepper

Spent an hour in the gym yesterday evening, starting to enjoy working the muscles that would not be utilised while running.

Wednesday
    6.44 miles session/ 7:44 average pace

Not good, not good at all.:(

I was looking forward to this, but I seem to have a pulled muscle near my rib cage:confused: (no idea how) that seems to become painful while running, has been there a few days. Then on the warm up I felt tightness in my left calf but continued to run anyway.:rolleyes:

The plan for this run was five blocks of 10 minutes as follows:

Easy/MP/HMP/10KP/Easy

I struggled throughout. Even needed a bit of effort for the MP block, was really pushing it for the HMP and actually just couldn’t do the 10K pace, body wasn’t having it. Disgusted. Instead I did the last two blocks easy.

Pace Splits were: 8:42, 7:26, 6:54, 8:34, 8:18

Seem to be lacking energy these days, this run should be no problem to me. :confused: Just felt heavy throughout. To make it worse the calf is tight out now.

Learn more from your bad runs than your good ones I suppose. Might take a few days off to re-energise. Will see how I feel tomorrow. Gahh!!! Rant over.

If it's any consolation, you were overdue a bad run ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If it's any consolation, you were overdue a bad run ;)

Second that, not that you'll have to many of them i'd say. As you said yourself, you'll learn more from a bad run. Put it down to tiredness and move on, we all suffer from bad runs every now & then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

+2. You've been putting us to shame lately. I wouldn't stress about one run.

Hope those injuries don't develop. I'm better at giving advice than acting upon it, but you've gotta look after that.

Cheers guys. Just frustrating when it doesn't go to plan. Was best that I listened to the body though. I can't imagine how the injured guys feel!!

Gonna take today off anyway and rest up. Legs are wrecked. Old age I guess.:pac:;)

Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    Rest

After the disastrous run Wednesday I decided I needed to take a step back for a few days, everything just seems to be a grind at the moment, possibly because I'm still coming down from the high of racing for the last couple of months. Few days off felt really good though.

Sunday
    4 miles easy / 8:03 average pace

I would have sat out today too only for this log!:) Could not face putting four rest days in so I went out this afternoon to test the calf and the ribs. Calf has improved and the ribs are still a bit uncomfortable but nothing compared to Wednesday so there is light at the end of the tunnel with this problem too. The first 3 miles felt like a drag but started getting into the rythm for the last one.

Overall a poor week. But going to get back on the horse big time for next week's plan and see how we go.

Week Mileage Summary:

5.6m|Rest|6.44m|Rest|Rest|Rest|4m

16.04m|53.24m|579.39m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just read your log for first time. A great read. Great running...will follow with interest.

Monday
    8 miles easy / 7:57 average pace

Got some of the recent frustration out on this run. Was off on Monday and was down home so went for a run around a local rural hilly loop in the late morning. Had not done this one before so it was a bit of an adventure. The sun was shining so really enjoyed the scenery. First 3 miles were a slog again but then I loosened out and enjoyed the last few miles.

Every house I passed seemed to have an aggressive dog so it was interesting to say the least! :eek: Keeping the same pace as I go past while the dog is on my heels seems to do the trick from experience. Only looking for trouble if you speed up!

Good start to rectification week.:cool:

Tuesday
    Rest

I felt the last couple of sessions have not gone great for me the last couple of weeks as I am pushing it too hard on the cross on the Tuesday night. The body is just not used to it. So cross is moved to later in the week going forward.

Wednesday
    11.5 miles session / 7:21 average pace (incl. 7m @10m pace)

We had a cake day in work today where everyone brought in something to share around the office. So after the resounding approval of the family at the weekend I decided to whip up Marthastew’s Mars Delights again! (Thanks Marthastew! :D). Made about 40 bite size squares for around 20 people in the office. They were all gone after about 10mins!:eek:

On a personal level I must have consumed about 2000 calories in 10 mins! Ha, the chirstmas diet (or lack of! :rolleyes:) has truly started!

So after work I headed off in the dense fog with a mission to getting my running back on track.:) My chest might not thank me for this damp air in a few days but we will see! Session consisted of:

1.5 mile warm up
    3 miles @ 10m pace (6:37, 6:37, 6:38)
    5 min recovery pace
    2 miles @ 10m pace (6:32, 6:33)
    4 min recovery pace
    2 miles @ 10m pace (6:27, 6:25)
    2 mile warm down

Happy with this as had been aiming to keep the pace miles at under 6:40, after the first set I said I would test the boundaries so I set myself a goal of under 6:35 for the second set and under 6:30 for the third. The third set was tough but I left everything out there tonight and I really enjoyed it (yes it was tough, but a good tough!:))

Calf is a bit tight now so just have to be wary of it. Going to push on now for the rest of the week.

As an added bonus, I’ve already passed last week’s embarrassing total mileage already.:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great session Blockic.
    Keep consistent and you will be breaking a 3hr marathon next year (guaranteed if you keep consistent ;) )

Super session. Great pacing.

menoscemo wrote: »
    guaranteed if you keep consistent ;) )

:rolleyes: ....the meno pint back guarantee :D

satisfaction-100-guaranteed-seal-128x128.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:rolleyes: ....the meno pint back guarantee :D

satisfaction-100-guaranteed-seal-128x128.jpg

Well if you don't I'll just blame it on your inconsistency :p

Nice work there J :D

Looks like the break did you good :D

tick tock tick tock tick tock...counting down the seconds to HOLIDAYS!!!:D

Thursday
    4 miles recovery / 9:00 average pace

Nice and easy recovery run to get rid of the session the night before, legs were stiff for this but to be expected.

Friday
    10 miles easy / 8:30 average pace

Was supposed to do this tonight :D but went for a run instead. Bit of a last minute decision, the housemate is in Kilkenny Fit4Life and a few of them were going with an easy long run. As it’s half the battle running with people that on your own I decided to take up the offer. Was wet and windy out so pretty miserable, but once we warmed up it wasn’t too bad.

Great to get some big mileage in this week, will set up well for when I start P&D plan in the new year.

Saturday
    Rest

Drove home yesterday and weather was too miserabile for a run.

Sunday
    10.35 miles LSR / 8:11 average pace

Nice hilly route around home this afternoon in the sun. Enjoyed it I must say and it brings up my biggest mileage week since I started running!:cool::D

Happy Christmas to you all!:)

Week Mileage Summary:

8m|Rest|11.5m|4m|10m|Rest|10.35m

43.85m|97.09m|623.24m

As I sit here eating yet another turkey sandwich (unreal! :D) I said I better update my log!

Monday – Christmas Eve
    Rest

Didn’t get a chance to head out for a run Christmas Eve, went to the pub instead! (the first of many visits!:o)

Tuesday – Christmas Day
    5.5 miles easy / 7:52 average pace

Being honest I find Christmas Day an awful bore! So I was delighted to head out for a run to pass the time! It was a perfect mild day and the sun was shining!

This was also the first outing with my new runners!:D I bought the exact same type as my last ones (Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s) as I know they suit me, but the difference in old vs new was unbelievable :eek:, much more support and cushioning and have a lovely smooth ride! Delighted! I also got the Wave Inspire 9s but I have not collected them yet and it will likely be the 9s that I do my racing in as they are lighter than the 8s.

Anyway onto the actual run! It was kind of a 2in1 job as I was running in to the local hotel to collect the car after the night before!;) The first quarter of the run was severe uphill as I live in the bottom of a valley, with the remaining being relatively flat. It was strange running through the town when it was absolutely dead! Was like the film I am Legend, kinda cool!:cool: Then drove home and with some calories burned, I tucked into dinner, and seconds, and thirds!:D

Wednesday – St. Stephen’s Day

Belgooly AC 4 Mile

Time: 25:00
    Average Pace: 6.14/mile
    Result: 48/651

After carb loading and hydrating plenty ;) on Christmas Day I headed to the local village for their annual Stephens Day 4 mile race. I wasn’t really planning on running this full out but at the same time I wanted to give it a go so I was in between two minds. Arrived about 30mins before the race and registered and at this point I realised I forgot my watch!:mad: Now I’m very dependent on the watch and I am hopeless at running by feel, but on this occasion I had no choice! I was disgusted especially as I plugged it in to charge that very morning for the race!:rolleyes:

Anyway, had set a target of 25:30 that I would be happy with but with no watch any target was out the window! My plan therefore was to find someone along the way who looked to be at a comfortable enough pace for me and to link up with them. Before long we were off and the first mile was fine as the field spread out. Just before the 1 mile marker I asked a guy I saw with a watch what his pace was and he told me it was 6:20, a bit fast I thought but not too bad! On the second mile I saw a guy in an Eagle AC top who was going same pace as myself so I used him as my guide for the remainder of the race. Pretty uneventful then until the last half mile when it was downhill to the finish, at this point I picked up the pace and left my pacer behind (thanks to him if he happens to be on here!) I passed 4 or 5 at this point and rounding the last corner I swooped past 2 lads I had kept an eye on during the downhill :cool: and finished pretty strong, felt like getting sick the last 300m but that’s the sign of a good finish! ;)

Not having the watch I didn’t get my time until today, very happy with 25 flat and I’d say I broke my 5km PB during the race as well but I’ll never know now! Lesson learned! Watch is top of the list from now on!

Thursday
    3 miles easy / 8:22 average pace

This was supposed to be at recovery pace but I felt fine so I kept it at easy pace. Ran to the primary school and back.

Now that that’s done, what can I eat next....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Fantastic running mate.

• Advertisement

Nice racing, I wonder sometimes if the watch holds us back? Keeps us to a pace we know rather than push us along faster?

Nice racing, I wonder sometimes if the watch holds us back? Keeps us to a pace we know rather than push us along faster?

Definitely agree with you there RK, it is a factor no doubt. But then on the flip side, it helps us not to push ourselves too fast! Can't win!:D

This is my task for the night, 2013 training calendar!!

If I write it down, I'll stick to it. Every planned training run is going to go on this.

On another note, I'm sick of drink at this stage, was supposed to spend the 30th and 31st in Doolin but I have cancelled the second night and I'm going to run the Tom Brennan 5km on New Years Day instead. Some unfinished business that I need to take care of at this distance.

Might see some of you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

This is my task for the night, 2013 training calendar!!

If I write it down, I'll stick to it. Every planned training run is going to go on this.

On another note, I'm sick of drink at this stage, was supposed to spend the 30th and 31st in Doolin but I have cancelled the second night and I'm going to run the Tom Brennan 5km on New Years Day instead. Some unfinished business that I need to take care of at this distance.

Might see some of you there!

Just remember to stay behind meno! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Was 3 places ahead of you in Belgooly with the St. Finbarr's singlet. I went off way too fast. What is your goal for Dungarvan (next one for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wednesday – St. Stephen’s Day

Belgooly AC 4 Mile

Time: 25:00
    Average Pace: 6.14/mile
    Result: 48/651

Nice running - see you down in Dungarvan

rom wrote: »
    Was 3 places ahead of you in Belgooly with the St. Finbarr's singlet. I went off way too fast. What is your goal for Dungarvan (next one for me)

Good run rom, I would love to do a sub 65min in Dungarvan to keep on track, but that target is touch and go at the moment, depends on how well the training goes over the next few weeks.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice running - see you down in Dungarvan

Thanks BeepBeep, good run by yourself in the 5k. Great time.

Friday
    Rest

Can’t remember what I done here, too long ago! Nothing exciting obviously!:rolleyes:

Saturday
    13.2 miles easy / 7:47 average pace (incl. 6m @PMP)

Back up in Kilkenny, I went out in the lovely sunshine for this one and returned soaked to the skin!:rolleyes: I incorporated some PMP miles into this to set me up for the start of the P&D plan next week. Run included:

5miles easy
    3miles @PMP (7:24, 7:22, 7:23)
    1mile easy
    3miles @PMP (7:22, 7:23, 7:22)
    1mile easy

Felt good to get this out of the way before the pub, too many people to catch up with over xmas.:o

Sunday & Monday
    Rest

Headed down to Whest Clare for our annual New Year’s trip to a spot in rural Ireland yesterday (to boost the marginal region's ecomony!:D;)). We go somewhere different every year as New Year’s at home is terrible. Normally a gang of us go for 2 nights except this year I had to leave the party at 6 this evening while everyone else was gearing up for a big session; Is this what running does to your social life?! :( Doing this run in the Phoenix Park tomorrow better be worth it!!

To finish on a positive note, I think my boards t-shirt will get it's first outing tomorrow! Hope to see some of you there!:)

And 648.94 miles done in 2012, to be doubled next year at the least! Happy New Year to you all and thanks for reading!:)

Week Mileage Summary:

Rest|5.5m|4m|3m|Rest|13.2m|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year Total Mileage
    25.7m|122.79m|648.94m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

See you in the morning, Happy New Year.

Advertisement