Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Time to catch up on last week’s events! Got lazy on the updating but will update more this week while I can remember it!

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:33 average pace

Can’t remember much about this one. My neck was still at me a bit but doesn’t affect the running so I went out for my routine easy run from what it looks like.

20 min core / 20 min roller

Wednesday
    11 miles club session / 10’ T + 12 Hill Reps (30”)

Serious session last Wednesday with the club. Jogged over the 2.5 miles from home to warm up.

First off was 10 minutes at T pace (5:59) around the track.

T pace was a bit too fast but it’s much easier to hit faster times with company. Could have upped it more but held back for the second part of the session which was:

12 thirty second Hill Reps :eek: there is an ideal hill just around the corner from the track for this so a group of us jogged down. The hill gradient worked out after as 5.4% according to the Garmin.

First 6 I was burned to the top by two young fellas going all out. I played it sensible and saved something to keep the repetitions consistent right until the end. By rep 8, the lads were wrecked and I left them for dust. :D They learned their lesson!

Last two were real tough so I reckon I judged it just right. Jogged back home again after to bring the total of the night to 11miles, real happy with the session

20 min core to finish off a solid day’s work.

Thursday
    6 miles easy recovery / 7:54 average pace

Ran first 3 miles easy, was a bit of an effort legs didn’t feel great so slowed it to recovery for the last 3 miles as I was wary of the session planned for Friday night

20 min roller

Friday
    8 miles T session (incl. 15’ + 10’ + 5’ T) / 7:05 average pace

Legs wrecked for this one, was supposed to be 20 +15+10 but was caught for time and legs were not feeling it, these ones are real tough on your own and into a constant head wind no matter what direction you go doesn’t help either!! :mad:

Ran straight after work by the office and enjoyed the change in scenery. Splits are by mile pace rather than actual time. Passed 1,000 miles somewhere along the way. :)

1.1 mile warm up
    15 min @ T (6:16, 6:15, 6:18)
    3min rest / jog
    10 min @T (6:17, 6:18)
    3min rest / jog
    5 min @T (6:05)
    1.5 mile cool down

20 min roller later that evening to try and get rid of the deadness in the calves.

Saturday
    5 miles recovery / 8:07 average pace

Saturday morning was the only chance I had to get a run in this weekend and then plan was a 12 mile LSR. However from the off the legs were still absolutely bait, calves like rocks and my pace nowhere near what it should be. 8:30s felt like a real effort. :eek: Stopped to stretch after a mile and that improved the dead and heaviness a bit but by mile 3 I knew it would be pointless to continue. I called it there and kept it at recovery all the way home. Bit annoyed with it but anything faster or longer would have been counter productive, happy I made the call I did, listening to the body rather than being rigid with the plan is key. The 5 days in a row probably had an effect and the run on Thursday should have been recovery from start to finish.

Have had 2 days off since and legs feeling much fresher, I’ll make up for that one next week on the Wicklow Way! :cool:

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest
    |6m|11m|6m|8m|5m|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    36m|149.7m|1008.9m

June total mileage and number of runs is a bit disappointing, taking the week off after Cork had a big effect. Hoping for a much better month mileage wise for July 175 minimum will be the target.

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

exact same thing happened me on my long run yesterday, I hated giving up on the run but sometimes you just have to do it.. Consoled myself with a load of beer after, it did the trick felt great on my run today..

wowzer wrote: »
    exact same thing happened me on my long run yesterday, I hated giving up on the run but sometimes you just have to do it.. Consoled myself with a load of beer after, it did the trick felt great on my run today..

Glad to see I'm not alone! Probably only the second time it has happened to me in the last 12 months but frustrating none the less.

A new week brings new enthusiasm!

Also my schedule in the lead up to Chicago is now becoming more clear. The following are target races in the lead up:

21st July
    - Fit Magazine 10km - Cork
    5th August - National Half Marathon (no idea what kind of shape I'll be in for this, PB looks unlikely at the moment)
    14th September - Athlone Half Marathon (hoping to get real close to 80 minutes here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

wowzer wrote: »
    exact same thing happened me on my long run yesterday, I hated giving up on the run but sometimes you just have to do..

Quitting on runs is second nature to blocky :D

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Quitting on runs is second nature to blocky :D

I loves it so I do!!

I should take up the bike like you and go on 80km cycles were the trendy thing to do is go for lunch, tea and crumpets at the halfway point!! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    I loves it so I do!!

I should take up the bike like you and go on 80km cycles were the trendy thing to do is go for lunch, tea and crumpets at the halfway point!! ;)

80km? So you'd be setting soft targets for that sport aswell????

80km? So you'd be setting soft targets for that sport aswell????

Not as soft as your half marathon time last Saturday! :pac:

Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That's only cos the course was long...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

your update reminds me of how I felt after a couple of weeks of my 10k plan.
    I ended up amending it (downgrading more like) or I'd have risked injury or burn out. Went for more quality & less quantity.

Not saying you will, but just something to watch out for.

btw - I was reading smmoores log today (from the start) - couldn't help but notice similarities between you 2, & you have a few years on him.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That's only cos the course was long...

Doesn't say anything on the official results here about a long Half Marathon? ;)

Doesn't say anything on the official results here about a long Half Marathon? ;)

Jaysus - he's not even 40 yet.

Jaysus - he's not even 40 yet.

He'll be down to 10 miles a week by that age...

No honest it was. I heard it from my brother's best mate's next door neighbour's aunt Mary whose old boss used to work with a guy in the council who knew the fella who heard someone say that if the course hadn't been long the Gavlor would DEFINITELY have broken the 80 min.

36 this year.

I was robbed.

It's possibly dilberts fault.

By the time I'm 40 I'll be finished running with a sub 33, sub 75, sub 2.50 under my belt

And I'll have completed every race that I started ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

36 this year.

I was robbed.

By the time I'm 40 I'll be finished running with a sub 33, sub 75, sub 2.50 under my belt

Theres more to that wink than meets the eye...looks very devious and obsessive :pac:

36 this year.

I was robbed.

Pride comes before a fall ;)

(Now THAT is a devious wink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

36 this year.

)

While you might possibly bluff a sub 2:50- You haven't a chance in hell of a sub 33 or sub 75 w/ the kind of half assed training you currently do lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

BTW my money is on blockic if and when there is a showdown.

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    BTW my money is on blockic if and when there is a showdown.

That's would be a smart bet IMO!!

He's flying at the moment and with the commitment he has, he'll blow those targets that I set out of the water!

Edit (don't tell him I said that!)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Pride comes before a fall ;)

(Now THAT is a devious wink)

Was thinking about deleting that bit alright, talk about tempting faith?! :O

Tuesday
    11 miles session / 3 x {4’ 5KP (2’) + 8’ 10KP (2’)}

This was a tough one but a good’un! With Wicklow Way this weekend I needed to get my Friday night session done earlier in the week.

So, 4 minutes of running and 8 minutes of running , three times with 2 min recovery in between...easy right? :) Wrong!! :eek:

2.5 miles easy
    4’ @ 5KP (5:39) + 8’ @ 10KP (5:55)
    2 min walk recovery after each
    4’ @ 5KP (5:41) + 8’ @ 10KP (5:55)
    4’ 5KP (5:42) + 8’ @ 10KP (6:00)
    1.5 mile cool down

This is a serious session. And my time slipped unfortunately on the last one, but gave it serious effort so I’m content, was nearly down on all fours by the end of it! Other side of me has a bit frustration I didn’t get the last one under 6 min pace but I’ll have to learn to let it go! :rolleyes:

Have club session tomorrow night so 2 sessions back to back, will see how the legs feel tomorrow and adjust the session and take a step back if need’s be.

Wednesday
    Run 1: 4 miles recovery / 8:54 average pace

Snuck out for a short and slow recovery run during lunch to loosen out a bit after the session last night, was over as soon as it started!

Run 2: 7 miles fartlek

Headed down to the club tonight and they were doing 4 x 1600, I had intended on running but doing 4 miles tonight again at 5k pace after doing a tough session last night I felt there was more risk than reward. Instead I decided on a makey uppy session where I joined various groups at various paces for various distances, forgot the watch so don’t have any paces etc. But I done anything from 3k pace to marathon pace, really enjoyed the variety, might pop a few more of these in going forward.

Added bonus is that it’s something I have not done before so it’s ticking the right boxes in terms of a nice change in training stimulus.

Good call. Nice to get the variety!

Friday
    5 miles easy / 7:21 average pace

Popped out again at lunch time for this as I wanted the night off to rest up a bit before the Wicklow Way run. Scorching heat, could also get away with calling this a progression run as each mile was faster than the previous! :cool:

Saturday
    25.1 miles Wicklow Way run / 11:22 average pace

What a day. Weather was glorious and the views were absolutely stunning. It is amazing that there is such an excellent facility and resource which is free to use, something for us natives to be very proud of. We kicked off at Marley Park at 10am and took our time with a good few breaks! There were three big up hills on the day with Djouce being the pick of the bunch! Absolutely cruel but worth it once we got to the crest as the view of the surrounding landscape was worth the suffering!

The flies were a pain in the ass but will know what to expect in future as I will definitely be back! Great run in great company and thanks to belcarra for all the organisation and bringing my dream (nightmare as I was going up Djouce ;)) to fruition! :P From it’s inception in a beer garden in Cork on the day of the marathon, it was quite apt to finish off the story in a beer garden in Roundwood. Who says no good ideas come out of drinking :D

Can’t wait for the next one and I now have even more respect for the IMRA runners out there, it ain’t easy that’s for sure. Below are some pictures I managed to take on the day and also the elevation profile of the route.

Wicklow Way Trail Run

261564.png

Sunday

5 miles recovery / 11:29 average pace

Went out for a real slow recovery this morning with a friend training for her first HM, suited perfect for me as the slower pace the better for me after the tough trail run yesterday.

Longest mileage week for me in a while. Not long now until the 10k!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|11m|11m|Rest|5m|25.1m|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    57.1m|57.1m|1066m

The elevation :O great going

My Christ. That's some climb x3!

How was coming down, just as difficult I'm sure. The quads ok today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Looks like a lot of fun...in a sadistic kind of way..nice pics too.

• Advertisement

The elevation :O great going

Ya wouldn't get that amount of elevation on a bike!! ;)

My Christ. That's some climb x3!

How was coming down, just as difficult I'm sure. The quads ok today?

First two were not too bad, but Djouce the third one was a real b!tch!

Yeah, downhills while they were nice were probably as difficult as you had to watch your footing while going at speed, it's hard to slow yourself down!!

I thought the quads would be in bits today but they are not too bad. PaulieYifter pointed out to me that its usual the second day syndrome with DOMS! I'll know tomorrow! :)

Advertisement