Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Ya wouldn't get that amount of elevation on a bike!! ;)

)

Challenge accepted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the WWR. Would have loved to have been there, seeing as I was present (or maybe at the bar buying the next round) when it was conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Monday
    6 miles easy / 8:03 average pace

Ran this after work on Monday and was still about 28 degrees :eek:

Ran the first half with a group that were doing 10 miles so it was a bit slower than usual but then I kicked on in the second half when they were easing back. The pace didn’t really bother me but when I kicked on I settled into my easy pace at about 7:30 a mile for the last half, bloody tough in that heat!

We ran from the weir in Kilkenny out the Bleach road and back. When I finished up I hopped straight into the river....GLORIOUS!! :D Water nice and cool but not freezing, the place was jammed too with Spanish students. I brought a towel in preparation for being soaked after but alas I didn’t need it, after 2 mins out of the water I and my shorts were dry! :eek: That’s how hot it is! :cool:

20 min core and 20 min foam rolling and stretching after done the job nicely.

Wednesday
    12.2 miles club session / 5 x 2000m @10KP

Over to the club tonight for a tough session in the heat, 5 x 2000m at 10k pace, this was a great prep session for my race next week and will tell me where I am in terms of targets.

2.6 miles easy
    5 x 2000m (7:34, 7:33, 7:32, 7:30, 7:20) Average pace (5:54, 5:57, 5:56, 5:57, 5:48)
    3 min recovery after each
    2.8 mile cool down

Delighted with this one, I would be saying that my 10K pace is around the 5:55 mark but with the heat factor tonight I set my target to be sub 6 pace for each rep.

What I was most happy with was that the last 2 laps of each rep were the fastest. This gives me the confidence now to be able to hopefully hold sub 5:55 miles for the race next week.

Out early tomorrow for a recovery run if I get my ass out of bed, Loving this weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks like we ran very similar sessions today. You really floored it on that final rep.

Peckham wrote: »
    Looks like we ran very similar sessions today. You really floored it on that final rep.

Haha, yeah..looks like we posted on each others logs at the same time too!!! You'll be waiting for me at the finish in Chicago though! Making sure of the 3 this time round!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Monday
    6 miles easy / 8:03 average pace

Ran this after work on Monday and was still about 28 degrees :eek:

Ran the first half with a group that were doing 10 miles so it was a bit slower than usual but then I kicked on in the second half when they were easing back. The pace didn’t really bother me but when I kicked on I settled into my easy pace at about 7:30 a mile for the last half, bloody tough in that heat!

We ran from the weir in Kilkenny out the Bleach road and back. When I finished up I hopped straight into the river....GLORIOUS!! :D Water nice and cool but not freezing, the place was jammed too with Spanish students. I brought a towel in preparation for being soaked after but alas I didn’t need it, after 2 mins out of the water I and my shorts were dry! :eek: That’s how hot it is! :cool:

20 min core and 20 min foam rolling and stretching after done the job nicely.

Wednesday
    12.2 miles club session / 5 x 2000m @10KP

Over to the club tonight for a tough session in the heat, 5 x 2000m at 10k pace, this was a great prep session for my race next week and will tell me where I am in terms of targets.

2.6 miles easy
    5 x 2000m (7:34, 7:33, 7:32, 7:30, 7:20) Average pace (5:54, 5:57, 5:56, 5:57, 5:48)
    3 min recovery after each
    2.8 mile cool down

Delighted with this one, I would be saying that my 10K pace is around the 5:55 mark but with the heat factor tonight I set my target to be sub 6 pace for each rep.

What I was most happy with was that the last 2 laps of each rep were the fastest. This gives me the confidence now to be able to hopefully hold sub 5:55 miles for the race next week.

Out early tomorrow for a recovery run if I get my ass out of bed, Loving this weather!!

Super session. Great pacing, especially with the heat.
    5:55 is your 10k pace! Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great session there blockic, lots of volume at race pace. That's a good session, probably bit too much for me but 3-4x2k would be a great workout, especially if you repeated it every week for several weeks while gradually shortening the recovery time. Must keep it in mind for the cross country season.

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:28 average pace

Getting up early for this never happened, I was a fool to think I would get up with the bed being so comfy! :rolleyes: Instead done a nice slow recovery after work, normally I don’t sweat that much but sweating buckets these days, for a 5 mile slow recovery! :confused: I can’t imagine how the 10in10 guys managed to get through it!

Friday
    10 miles T session (incl. 30’ T) / 7:20 average pace

Another Scorcher, decided to hold off til late in the evening as I was doing a fast tempo run. Couldn’t leave it later so at 9:15 pm I headed out and it was still like 24c out. Knew 6:10 T pace was not going to happen so decided to target 6:20. This was a grind and I was struggling to keep the pace towards the end. Not sure If I should look into it a bit more or not. Think I’ll just check the box and move on!

1.7 mile warm up
    30 min @ T (6:19, 6:21, 6:17, 6:26, 4:37) for 4.7 miles
    3.5 miles easy

Sunday
    14 miles LSR / 7:55 average pace

Held back on the pace due to the heat for this run this evening, my only concern was about getting a long run in more than anything.

This was supposed to happen yesterday morning but I slept it in and had to go to the pale for the night so managed to get it in tonight, thankfully I didn’t feel too bad after the previous evening out on the town!:o

Picked an out and back route so I could drop water and collect it on the way back, can’t get enough into me these days! On about 4-5L a day at the moment and still dehydrated at night on my running days!

Anyway glad I got this in and was a bit tough towards the end, missing a couple of long runs the last few weeks catching up with me. That will be sorted after next week when marathon training round 2 starts! :eek:

Easy week for me next week as my 10km target race in on Sunday. All my runs will be easy with half a session on Wednesday night. Based on current forecasts it could be a repeat of Clontarf meaning targets may need to be revised! So much for the 6 weeks of 10km work when I won’t be able to go all out for the target race! The sun is the story of my year! :)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    6m|Rest|12.2m|5m|10m|Rest|14m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    47.2m|104.3m|1113.2m

You'll be fine, it's only 6 and a bit miles............never seen excuses coming this early!

Now, seriously, you're right, the number of ambulances in Clontarf last week was scary............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Quit whinging, at least you can run. Suck it up and go run the time your capable of. Honestly young fellas these days, quit before they start!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

HTFU and go for it in the race. The faster you run, the more wind-cooling effect you get. That's my perverse logic anyway..

What would your gold medal time be?

Gavlor wrote: »
    What would your gold medal time be?

Ideally my target is 36:29..all going well, so we'll see what happens

Ideally my target is 36:29..all going well, so we'll see what happens

That's well within your range. What race is it?

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's well within your range. What race is it?

It's the FIT Magazine 10km in Cork, flat enough route around the marina and back in the old railway line. Takes in part of the marathon route from 14 -19 miles with a bit added to the start.

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/are-you-ready-to-run

I think I'm going mental, just planning my marathon plan schedule tonight...

Is it crazy that I 'have to' fit in a run on the morning of a wedding where I am best man!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Yep, thought so, crazy! Bloody tough to fit in 70 miles a week when you need two days off...Won't happen!

My 1st 2 days on holidays were spent reading Marathon books and articles. Flipped from doing P&D to not doing it, back to doing it.

My 1st 2 days on holidays were spent reading Marathon books and articles. Flipped from doing P&D to not doing it, back to doing it.

Nice, sure time well spent! ;) I'm fully decided now...I'm doing P&D&J ;)

If you don't mind me asking blockic, why do you need two days off? 70 miles in 5 days is quite a lot to fit in.

pconn062 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking blockic, why do you need two days off? 70 miles in 5 days is quite a lot to fit in.

Yep the 70 in 5 days was my dilemma and need the weekend off for this
    Is it crazy that I have to fit in a run on the morning of a wedding where I am best man!! eek.pngrolleyes.png

Decided that I'll do a recovery run on one of those initially planned days off to make it up to 70, 6 days is managable for 70 miles.

You don't realise how much harder it is to fit in an extra 15 miles a week until ya attempt to write it down! Have to run more days...simples!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm fully decided now...I'm doing P&D&J ;)

Have you checked with Rasher to make sure you're allowed? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Is it crazy that I 'have to' fit in a run on the morning of a wedding where I am best man!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Yep, thought so, crazy! Bloody tough to fit in 70 miles a week when you need two days off...Won't happen!

I had this problem last year, ended up getting up really early and running on the morning of being bridesmaid :eek: Do you do doubles? That could be the way to go?

I downright refuse to thank that post!!

What advice would u give a novice in the same situation?

Maybe make it your recovery week.

Just realised I read what you wrote about needing two days off wrong, I thought you meant you needed two days off every week. My question probably came across as really nosey, wondering why you needed two days off this week, sorry about that! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Have you checked with Rasher to make sure you're allowed? :D;)

You're not doing P&D&J, you can do Gavlor & Digger if I can watch :pac:

Runchick wrote: »
    I had this problem last year, ended up getting up really early and running on the morning of being bridesmaid :eek: Do you do doubles? That could be the way to go?

Thanks, yeah I do doubles occasionally, looks like they will be more frequent from next week on!!
    What advice would u give a novice in the same situation?

Maybe make it your recovery week.

All sorted now, gonna run the night after to get the alcohol out of the system. Recovery weeks are nearly 60 miles in the plan! I'm on my fifth or sixth attempt now on my plan, reckon I'm 95% there.

Just realised I read what you wrote about needing two days off wrong, I thought you meant you needed two days off every week. My question probably came across as really nosey, wondering why you needed two days off this week, sorry about that! :o

No worries P, good to see you are keeping me on the straight and narrow! :)

The week in question is another 6 weeks away. Just advance planning. "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail." - Legend from Leeside :pac::D

Monday
    6 miles easy / 7:33 average pace

Nice run along the river nore under the shade which was a welcome relief from the beating sun. Bit of a twinge at behind my right knee which started after my T session on Friday. Nothing to stop me running but I know it is there.

Wednesday
    8 miles ½ club session / 5’T + 5 x 300m

Went to the physio Tuesday night for a rub down in advance of the race and to take a look at the knee, nothing too serious and when it was worked on I realised I have had the issue before 4 months back (training log is great) relating to tightness in the flexor digitorum longus, just needs a bit of monitoring, I reckon it has to do with my gait and the leg not being fulling extended on ground impact. Will need to work on this slightly but nothing to be too worried about. Also my neck continues to be at me, going on 3 weeks now, got that worked on as well, slight restriction when moving it left or right, doesn’t affect my running but need to knock it on the head really as it’s going on too long now. Will more work done on it next week if still an issue. Really stiff particularly in the mornings when I wake up.

Anyway done a half session on Wednesday just to get a speed work in but nothing too stressful.

2.5 miles easy
    5’ @ T (5:55)
    5 x 300m (59, 58, 58, 58, 55)
    100m recovery after each
    3 mile cool down/ jog home

Done the job, bit of speed but not too much to impact on my race Sunday.

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:29 average pace

Mostly on grass, got a bit bored towards the end and wanted to get it over and done with. Legs felt fresher afterwards.

Friday
    6 miles easy / 7:32 average pace

Supposed to do this at lunch time at work but I slept it in and didn’t have a change to get my lunch together before work so that idea went out the window. Instead I headed home after work for race weekend and went straight out for the six on arrival. Brother came along for a cycle for company (great idea Dilbert!) and the time passed faster than usual. A good bit cooler here down south that up the country.

All running done now until 10km race tomorrow, Weather forecast to be hot, will decide in the morning how to pace it based on the conditions but it looks like I may start out slower and go by feel, might not get what I hoped for. Pity after putting in 6 weeks focus on this race, but that said, the main goal for this training block was to have a good foundation to start my marathon training so all is not lost.

Still should get a PB if I finish pretty much as it’s been 12 months since my last 10k race. We’ll see how it goes...

1pm start should be great craic!

Best of luck tomorrow, you are flying at the moment so don't let the heat play mind games on you. 36mins is well within reach

• Advertisement

Best of luck today, don't let the demons or the heat get to you.

Advertisement