Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sunday 21st July

Fit Magazine City Series Cork 10km

Chip Time: 37:42 – PB
    Average Pace: 6.03 / mile
    Result: 16/397

Can’t say I’m not disappointed with this as had been hoping for sub 37, but you take what you are given and things just didn’t quite click into place today. I didn’t have a great prep last night but I’m not using that, or other things as an excuse on this one, the time is realistic to where I am at the moment. It was still after all as it turns out a 5min PB, although I was only 20 seconds faster than my last 10km in Bohermeen Half Marathon :eek: so that’s where it is a bit of a letdown.

Plenty to work on. However I’ve a feeling that like 5k races, you need a few 10km races in a short space of time to get used to getting the feel right for them and perform at your peak. My last 10km being 12 months ago.

Arrived grand and early to overcast conditions and cooler than the last few days which was a welcome relief however it was quite humid. Atmosphere was building nicely as I went off on a 2.5 mile real easy warm up, a bit of stretching and made my way to the start. Settled in on the 3rd row and waited a few minutes while this wan done a group warm up with a mic that the first few rows (myself included) had no interest in but there seemed to be great craic down the back.

I said I’d stick to my original plan and go off at 5:55 pace and see how I got on first two miles went by pretty fine (5:52, 5:52) along the marina and through Blackrock village. Even at this early stage up towards the front things were pretty scattered and I got stuck on my own (this was the start of the end as I had no one to feed off or group with, which I feel is worth at least 30 seconds), the only reason I knew a race was on were the distance markers and the faint view of the 2nd and 3rd lady in the distance.

As we started the third mile along the exposed harbour there was a strong headwind, this lasted for a couple of miles so I started to slow (6:12, 6:05) with no one to shield the wind for me! ;)

Soon, (these races go so fast!) we turned right and headed for home over the South Link Bridge which deadened the legs a bit and then along the railway line back towards the marina, this mile (6:17) was what I am most disappointed with as it was flat and sheltered, I didn’t realise how slow it was until I looked back at the times after, I guess I was grinding at this stage but the ladies up front were coming more into view so I thought I was maintaining pace.

The last mile (6:05) we arrived back on the marina and behind Páirc Uí Chaoimh and I was suffering now and knew it was game over for any sort of targets I had but knew we were near home so kept going. Finished off the last bit with a small spurt at 5:39 pace to pass under the gantry as the announcer mentioned 16th place.

Met Ecoenergy after and had a quick chat and then I had a nice slow cool down trying to process my thoughts on the race just past. What is nagging at me is that I would have seen myself running this time handy 6 weeks back before I even started my block of 10km work so not sure how much that 6 week block has brought me on or if I would have been better off just running the race 6 weeks ago without all the prep work! Anyway might try and sneak in another 10km in the next few weeks if I can fit it in to my marathon plan but if not so be it. Marathon training is the next focus now. 12 weeks to Chicago.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    6m|Rest|8m|5m|6.1m|Rest|10.2m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    35.3m|139.6m|1148.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done Blockic, that was a great performance. Plenty more races as you say. You're definitely not far away from where you want to be.

....and you finished;):pac:

...got in there ahead of you Gavlor!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done Blockic, that was a great performance. Plenty more races as you say. You're definitely not far away from where you want to be.

....and you finished;):pac:

...got in there ahead of you Gavlor!:P

Of course he finished, sure he walked a couple of miles :D

Joking of course!

I have to say that I thought your training was quite heavy for a 10k but there's nothing new there!!

Nice pb all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's savage racing J, nothing to be disappointed with. As Gavlor said, you're doing a fair bit of mileage at the moment so the legs are bound to be a bit tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fantastic running Blockic, Great PB :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Woah, well done buddy, that's a fantastic time. Your're in great shape for your 12 week Chicago cycle.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I have to say that I thought your training was quite heavy for a 10k but there's nothing new there!!

You could very well be right, but sure ya live and learn! Further food for thought anyway... Whats next up for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tough luck yesterday, we all know you're better than that, even if it is a 5 min PB.
    On the upside, at least you have a PB that you'll be able to beat fairly handily next time out. A soft target so to speak.........

You said that your plan was 95% done, here's some stuff to mess with your head.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/canova-101?page=single

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-simulation-workouts?page=single

blockic wrote: »
    You could very well be right, but sure ya live and learn! Further food for thought anyway... Whats next up for yourself?

Dcm training starts today!

Next couple of races are clonmel half and Woodstown 5 mile in August, it's not a pb course but is literally on my doorstep so it's about time I ran it

You?

Tough luck yesterday, we all know you're better than that, even if it is a 5 min PB.
    On the upside, at least you have a PB that you'll be able to beat fairly handily next time out. A soft target so to speak.........

You said that your plan was 95% done, here's some stuff to mess with your head.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/canova-101?page=single

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-simulation-workouts?page=single

Nice one, will take a read of those later. My mantra for this plan is keep it simple but effective. :cool: minimal speed sessions and mostly HMP and MP miles for my sessions. Lots and Lots of easy runs.
    Dcm training starts today!

Next couple of races are clonmel half and Woodstown 5 mile in August, it's not a pb course but is literally on my doorstep so it's about time I ran it

You?

Nice one, My 12 week plan starts today too.

Next race for me is the National Half 2 weeks today, not expecting much on that one. Athlone Half then in September where it should give me an idea for the marathon. Might squeeze in another 10k/5 mile if I'm feeling good and it suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

the only reason I knew a race was on were the distance markers and the faint view of the 2nd and 3rd lady in the distance.

You should have concentrated more on staying in view of the 2nd lady ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

He was too in the zone Meno, that's your downfall, too easily distracted (even if it is merited!)...

menoscemo wrote: »
    You should have concentrated more on staying in view of the 2nd lady ;)

Feckin too fast for me!! Think she was a Crusader an all, a few of them travelled down for it.
    belcarra wrote: »
    He was too in the zone Meno, that's your downfall, too easily distracted (even if it is merited!)...

Congrats on Belfast J, serious performance, I'm happy with 100 miles a month, never mind a day! :eek: Look forward to reading the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Look forward to reading the report.

In other words, where's the feckin' report???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Feckin too fast for me!! Think she was a Crusader an all, a few of them travelled down for it.

Crusader and Irish International. You are in good company.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Crusader and Irish International. You are in good company.

:eek: ..nice observation, after a bit of research she looks familiar! If I knew then what I knew now I might have found an extra 30 seconds and attempted to take a scalp! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Been a while since i had a nosey at your log. Great running j. Super race above. To break 38 and still be disappointed....things must be going very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am in Cork and just back from a run along what must have been the route for the 10k you did. Nice stretch for running. Looks like that forms part of the marathon route too as I saw markers for 20k and 13.1 miles.

Peckham wrote: »
    Am in Cork and just back from a run along what must have been the route for the 10k you did. Nice stretch for running. Looks like that forms part of the marathon route too as I saw markers for 20k and 13.1 miles.

Yep, that's the route. It's nice alright but can be exposed at times. Do some of my LSRs down those parts as well as its a 6 mile loop so handy enough.

So here we go again, round 2 for a marathon block this year. Twelve weeks seems a long time now but before I know it I’ll be lining up in Millennium Park in downtown Chicago. Really looking forward to this marathon with it being a BIG one. What I’m not looking forward to so much is the three months of hard graft that has to come before it! At least is it summer this time round unlike the depths of winter for Rotterdam training. No dark evening runs! (for the most part) :)

Hopefully I’ll manage to get under the 3 hours finish this time ;) to get it off my back as this will be my last goal marathon for a while, if all goes to plan that is! ;)

I’m using an amended P&D (55-70) plan which I have adjusted to suit myself. Many LT and PMP miles and speed sessions at a minimum.

Races in the lead up are:

National Half Marathon (RocknRoll) – 5th August
    Athlone ‘flatline’ Half Marathon – 14th Sept
    10km race or time trial – 28th Sept

Not expecting much from the National Half but Athlone should give me a good indication of where I am 4 weeks out.

And we’re off!

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 8:55 average pace

A nice slow recovery run to kick off the week after the race on Sunday, ran down to the castle done a lap on the grass and then ran home. Warm enough out.

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:40 average pace

Another easy run done mostly on grass, I ran down along the Nore and then back up to do a few laps in the local GAA pitch, won’t be able to run here on the weekend as they are turning it into a car park for the Bruce Springsteen gig. Going to be mayhem this weekend around these parts!

Going to head to it on Sunday to see Bruce off from our shores, looking forward to it! Will have to get the LSR in early this weekend!

Wednesday
    10.3 MLR / 7:29 average pace

This log might get a bit boring in the next couple of months with me just banging out loads of easy miles! :pac: No more speed intervals for a while, will need to think of something to make this some bit of an interesting read. :D

Went down the club for this and while they done a speed session I ran a few easy laps of the track and then ventured out to do a mini-lap of the town and back. My schedule was for 11 miles but had to cut it a bit short as I was caught for time. It fitted the purpose intended anyway.

I’ve slipped on my foam rolling and strength work the last few days, need to pick it back up again.

Friday
    Run 1: 7 miles easy / 7:07 average pace

Have to break my daily mileage into two runs today due to time constraints. First one at lunch time in work and managed to squeeze in seven. I felt wrecked before I started but once I got going there was a complete change. The pace was WAY faster than it should have been on this but it felt good on the outset so kept it going. Like a new man now after it. Nice and fresh! :D

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the training!!

Might see you @ Bruce, I'm bringing my daughter, I think you two went to Montessori together?? :D

He puts on a great show, I was in cork aswell and I'm really looking forward to this one

Best of luck J, sub 3 will be no bother to you, Rotterdam was just a bump in the road, Chicago will be an amazing experience for you.

Might see you @ Bruce, I'm bringing my daughter, I think you two went to Montessori together?? :D

Heard Limerick and Cork were amazing so had to get a ticket when it is only a 10min walk for me! :)

Haha, I think she was a year ahead! ;) I had a feeling you were an aul rocker at heart! :pac:
    ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck J, sub 3 will be no bother to you, Rotterdam was just a bump in the road, Chicago will move an amazing experience for you.

Thanks N, I hope so! Really looking forward to it plus a week in the states after, sure can't get much better! When you off to the Rockies? How's Eagle gonig?

Thanks N, I hope so! Really looking forward to it plus a week in the states after, sure can't get much better! When you off to the Rockies?
    Not for 5 weeks :( Feels like ages away! Are you staying in Chicago for the week? That's a place I've never been that's definitely on my to do list.
    How's Eagle gonig?
    Good! Only been to two sessions though :o but it's good motivation for me to get my lazy ass moving. Bit slow to go out and do speed sessions on my own at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck with the marathon training, the sky is the limit for yourself, looking forward to the sub 3 race report!

ncmc wrote: »
    Not for 5 weeks :( Feels like ages away! Are you staying in Chicago for the week? That's a place I've never been that's definitely on my to do list.

5 weeks, shur it will fly! I'd love to go to the Mid-West, I've been to most other spots! Few days in Chicago after the marathon, it's a great city. Then onto Michigan to relatives for a few days so it will be a busy week!

Best of luck with the marathon training, the sky is the limit for yourself, looking forward to the sub 3 race report!

Thank's op, lets hope things click on the day this time! you are going great yourself, well done in Fingal, great improvement.

5 weeks, shur it will fly! I'd love to go to the Mid-West, I've been to most other spots! Few days in Chicago after the marathon, it's a great city. Then onto Michigan to relatives for a few days so it will be a busy week!
    Sounds lovely, nice time to go as well, you should have some beautiful fall colours at that time of year. A week in the States... that's one way to beat the post marathon slump!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Best of luck with the plan Blockic. I'll be at Bruce in KK tomorrow myself, although it wasn't my idea - 3+ hours is a bit much for any gig, even if it was a band I actually like! Anyway, hopefully I'll enjoy it, I just don't get him I'm afraid.

Best of luck with the plan Blockic. I'll be at Bruce in KK tomorrow myself, although it wasn't my idea - 3+ hours is a bit much for any gig, even if it was a band I actually like! Anyway, hopefully I'll enjoy it, I just don't get him I'm afraid.

Thanks Clint, I'm sure you'll be won over! I don't think there is anyone from Kilkenny not going to the thing! Should make a good atmosphere around the town if anything!

• Advertisement

Mods: this is surely worthy of some sort of ban??

6 months should do, providing he commits to continually listening to the entire 250 songs that Bruce has played on this tour

Advertisement