Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

The boy done well.............. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

statss wrote: »
    how'd it go buddy?

mehhhh....only alright...report in progress up in a sec. ;)

Monday 5th August

AAI National Half Marathon (Rock ‘n’ Roll)

Chip Time: 1:20:38 - New PB!
    Average Pace: 6.05/mile
    Result: 115/5460

Have to say I’m delighted with my run today. I didn’t expect to be beating my PB from March after:
    1. a poor 10k in Cork
    2. a more difficult course profile than Bohermeen
    3. The ramping up of training miles recently
    4. No mini taper as I was not really targeting the race

But there you go, looks to have worked out as the perfect combination.

Early start this morning and headed off from Kilkenny at 6am after a bowl of porridge to get me going, we got up fairly early and got a great parking spot about 1 min walk from the start :cool:

After hanging around for a while, I had planned to go for a warm up but then nature called and the queues were a pain in the arse, as a result I had only 10 mins to spare once I was done before the start, so got no warm up in and had to head straight to the corral. Not ideal preparation. :(

After a quick best of luck to drquirky, I lined up next to asimonov as we agreed that we would run the first 4 miles conservative together until the top of the phoenix park. Race started bang on time and off we went, first couple of miles went easy enough as we settled into the place before the entrance to the park and then the long drag started into a stiff enough headwind also. Tucked in for the most part up Chesterfield avenue but the pace was suffering a bit, bumped into RunForrestRun and ecoli here (who was having an off day) but RFR and I would be in close proximity for the rest of the race.

At the top of the park we hit the 4 mile marker (6:09, 6:15, 6:33, 6:22) and started to head down OS road, here I decided to go for broke after a “man-up” PM from Gavlor the night before had me convinced to go aggressive and see where I ended up, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Felt fairly strong going down here as asimonov and I kept ticking along at pace, it was smooth for the remaining section of phoenix park in fact, maybe a bit too strong. I kicked on a tad from RFR but when we exited the park at 7 miles I started to suffer a bit and I thought it was blow up time once I went past the 8 miles :o (6:02, 6:01, 5:59, 5:55). RFR passed me out here but I somehow managed to keep sight of him for the rest of the race.

I continued to struggle for a couple of miles (6:08, 6:09) but I actually gained a second wind going up the incline after the N4 underpass passing Angela McCann in the process. With a new lease of life I kicked on strong for home. Asimonov was still with me at this point (doing an excellent job as my target/ pacer!) but I knew he had plenty in the tank so he kicked away on. I felt strong from here all the way to the finish and with the average pace rocketing down I started to think I might be in with a shout of sub 80.

A lady from Armagh AC came up along side me at this point and I was determined to win this mini-race, no way was she passing me. With new determination and mentally saying “stay relaxed through discomfort” I upped it a gear with the sub 80 faint hope all the way to the finish (5:55, 5:58, 5:50, 1:17) but when I rounded the last corner I saw 1:20 appear and I knew it was gone. No harm done, crossed the line well pleased with the result. :D The conservative first 4 miles were just a tad too much to claw back but that said, I’m very happy how I ran the race.

Interesting fact was that I gained 25 places from the exit at the park (mile 7) to the finish, a well paced race and a big negative split. I recall RFR being the only person to pass me at this point until the end so it was good going.

The event was very well organised, plenty marshals, roads closed and well run water stops. As others have said on the main thread, a 500m to go sign would be a nice addition, simply because of the far few turns before the finish and you are not sure after which turn you will see the finish line! But that’s only for minor griping/ improvement purposes, all in all a very well run race. I’m not into medals but it is a very nice one to be fair.

Great to meet some boards crew after, including digger making me throw my bottle of water all over a spectator :D . The general thoughts were that it was a tricky enough route, but I kind of enjoyed the undulation.

I also know now why there was so little in the “swag bag”. Claralara must of robbed them all based on the amount of things she was carrying walking from the finish ;)

We won't mention anything about anyone eating dust! ;)

Moving forward

The half marathon certainly appears to be my “best” distance, the distance seems to suit me and I appear to get my best performances from it. Again today I ran the last 10km faster than I did in the 10km race in cork :rolleyes: and posted a unofficial PB for 10 miles of just over the hour mark, will be looking to break the hour the next time I do a 10 miler.

This gives me a great confidence boost going into the last 10 weeks of Chicago training and I can really kick on from here now. Eyes firmly set on a sub 80 in Athlone next month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Savage running lad - you're in the form of your life. Are you the first 2012 novice to hit 80's for half?

unbelievable performance - those last 3 miles are amazing.

Sub 80 should be a no brainer after that performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice one!!

Its About time things started to fall into place for you. Everything is pointing towards a massive pb in Chicago

Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Serious running there young man, well done. we seemed to be feeling rough and strong at exactly the same points in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

woah, savage, great run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done J. That's super running you must be delighted :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Savage running lad - you're in the form of your life. Are you the first 2012 novice to hit 80's for half?

Dunno, I did have the 81 in march so possibly!
    unbelievable performance - those last 3 miles are amazing.

Sub 80 should be a no brainer after that performance.

Cheers, thanks for the shout out too, that was the start of the agressiveness! Suprised myself with the last 3 miles!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice one!!

Its About time things started to fall into place for you. Everything is pointing towards a massive pb in Chicago

Keep it up

Thanks for the PM to make me get the finger out. :)
    wowzer wrote: »
    Serious running there young man, well done. we seemed to be feeling rough and strong at exactly the same points in the race.

Yeah, I found that road after we exited the park wicked tough and mundane. Straight and never ending, Didn't think it was as long as that when I done DCM, do we exit at the same gate for DCM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great stuff. Nice meeting you today, all going well, we'll keep each other company in October too, with similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Animal run, well done. Maybe you should set yourself up to run a big neg split in Chicago, that approach seems to suit you, especially with what you mentioned about your 10k time.
    Fair play again.

meanwhile, in other news - water belts......

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-2-bottle-belt-764832

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Not for me, those belts are HUGE! I saw them in sportsworld Carlow. They are more suitable as a back brace!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Not for me, those belts are HUGE! I saw them in sportsworld Carlow. They are more suitable as a back brace!

Yeah, big enough alright, the housemate has one. Hard to get a neat and tidy one. Serious niche in the market there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on PB Blockic - fantastic to have such a strong finish too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great running today J. Sounds like you'll have a good rivalry with RFR over in Chicago. Just don't hold hands as you go across the line. People will never let you live it down;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done wow, that's amazing running, no wonder u pleased. Delighted for u!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Will be trying to hang on to your coattails in Athlone and Chicago by the sounds of things. Great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic running there today. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I always love reading your race reports Blockic, with your obvious talent coupled with your indulgence in PMA there's really no stopping you :D Fantastic running, fantastic result, I bet you're still buzzing :P

Thanks for the nice messages everyone. Makes it even more worthwhile!
    Runchick wrote: »
    I always love reading your race reports Blockic, with your obvious talent coupled with your indulgence in PMA there's really no stopping you :D Fantastic running, fantastic result, I bet you're still buzzing :P

Yup, still buzzing, but a bit sore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done J, fantastic running and amazing to get a PB in the middle of such a difficult training plan and without a mini taper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »

Interesting fact was that I gained 25 places from the exit at the park (mile 7) to the finish, a well paced race and a big negative split. I recall RFR being the only person to pass me at this point until the end so it was good going.

Nice return to form J!!

Just wondering where you got this info from (or did you just count them)? I was wondering if they were gonna post the splits...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just wondering where you got this info from (or did you just count them)? I was wondering if they were gonna post the splits...

It was a manual count unfortunately. A club coach shouted the position I was in when I came out of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

here I decided to go for broke after a “man-up” PM from Gavlor the night before had me convinced to go aggressive and see where I ended up, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Big Logger won't like this ;):D

Great to meet some boards crew after, including digger making me throw my bottle of water all over a spectator :D .

A classic moment!! :D

Well done again on a great run!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I've a good mind to put him over my knee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

well done Blockic, great run there...

Savage time...

Tuesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:55 average pace

DOMS central today. I should probably have done a mile or two after the race yesterday I suppose but sure no good saying that now! Didn’t look at the watch going around for my shuffle and was surprised it was as fast as this, felt like 10min mile pace!

Done (as digger would probably call it ;)) a lace-hanlon-stew on it halfway around for the craic by stopping to tie my lace, waited for somebody to run past me and then got up and ran past them again, just to rub salt in the wounds! :D;) felt good, but not as good as it felt for meno yesterday I’d say!

Meant to mention on my report that I had a tightness with my usual trouble maker, the flexor digitorum longus muscle on my right leg yesterday that came with half a mile to go. I had to ease off a bit for a couple of seconds and adjust my gait for a few metres but seemed ok again on the finishing straight. Just noting it here for future reference, probably needs another good stretch out.

Before the run tonight I went to a recovery talk by Eoin Everard, Kilkenny’s first sub 4 min miler which he achieved in Dublin recently. Interesting enough hour. I knew the most of it already, but little snippets in between were useful all the same. Seems like a sound guy too.

Not looking forward to second day syndrome tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Haha. Catching up on your log after updating my own. I'm well able to put my hands up where necessary... except when I'm too laden down with post-race goodies ;) joking aside, might i confirm that my haul was a result of a discussion re those gels and the fact that powerbar normally make me want to vom but it was interesting these were an iso version, and i should try them. The nice lady gave me a heap of them - it was all legit - no sneaky pikey behaviour from me. I'm a lady you know!! Well done again on a savage run - though it completely precludes my performance from the excuse of a tough course....damn you!! :)

Advertisement