Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great running! Sorry I missed ya at the finish but I'll see ya in Athlone... I like the pacing you did btw- a couple of others ran that same kind of negative split type of race and it seemed to be the best way to attack this course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wednesday
    9 miles very very easy / 8:34 average pace

Last night was supposed to be at easy pace, but half a mile in I knew I would be nowhere near 7:XX so I scaled back to almost recovery pace. Legs were still in a jock from Monday and I would be gaining nothing by trying to hit certain paces. Instead I went by effort. I think it was the downhill section in the park that really trashed them!! I shuffled over to the club session, hobbled around the track for a bit and shuffled home. Day off today will do me the world of good.

Senior club team finished a very respectable 7th on Monday. Didn’t expect to be so high up so pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Smart move there. Listen to the body, and all that.
    (Jaysus, I'm beginning to sound like BL now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

belcarra wrote: »
    Smart move there. Listen to the body, and all that.
    (Jaysus, I'm beginning to sound like BL now!)
    If you start talking about putting him across your knee, people are going to talk :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

ncmc wrote: »
    If you start talking about putting him across your knee, people are going to talk :pac:

Don't encourage him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

blockic wrote: »
    Instead I went by effort.

Easy pace is all about perceived effort as far as I'm concerned. Some days that might be close to 8 min miles, other days closer to 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Out of bed early this morning were we???

Out of bed early this morning were we???

Haha, indeed I was. For once! Did ya spot me? :)

Also, Hon the Rebels!! In your face RK!! :P;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

:mad: bad decision on the red card, Paul Ryan was off form from the frees, lucky goal at a key time........but I'm not a sore loser.

ah no, seriously - Cork deserved it from the 2nd half performance. Some great points late in the game. And we were lucky not to be down to 13 men.

• Advertisement

:mad: bad decision on the red card, Paul Ryan was off form from the frees, lucky goal at a key time........but I'm not a sore loser.

ah no, seriously - Cork deserved it from the 2nd half performance. Some great points late in the game. And we were lucky not to be down to 13 men.

Ah sure hurling is the winner on a day like today! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha, indeed I was. For once! Did ya spot me? :)

Nah you rarely have the table filled in before me and you did 18m so I figured you were up early to get the run done before the match :)
    Ah sure hurling is the winner on a day like today! ;)

That's a diplomatic way of saying "lehoosehers" RK

Friday
    12 miles MLR / 7:43 average pace

Ran this after work on Friday evening and it was a bit of a slog, legs still a bit tired but improved plenty since Wednesday after the rest day and an epsom salts bath the night before brought them on no end. Done a few miles around local first and then a few miles on the ring road before heading for home. Glad to see the pace improved and to get a double digit run in.

Saturday
    4 miles recovery / 8:53 average pace

Played golf yesterday morning so I popped out for a short recovery in the evening, just the 4 miles as I had probably spoilt a good five mile walk earlier in the day with a small ball also so about 9 miles recovery run/walk total.

Sunday
    18 miles LSR / 7:36 average pace

Wanted to get this done earlyish today due to the match and to have a bit of the evening to relax so I met up with a group at 10am and headed off. I’m trying as much as possible to run the long runs with company from now on, sacrificing mornings in bed if needs be. I can’t face anymore long runs on my own for the moment as it can be a mental struggle. The group also are all nearly the same LSR pace as me so it is ideal and will try do more with them in the next few weeks.

Couple of laps on the castle park before running the new Kilkenny HM route which takes place next month, glorious undulating country side I reckon is what they should promote it as! ;) The route goes from the ring road at Hebron roundabout, out to Johnswell :eek: for a loop and then back in the Orchard Rd Roundabout. Legs STILL tired (only 6 more easy days for them to be fully recovered right? ;)) from the race and at the 9 mile point I was struggling a bit. Got to a downhill section just in time and that seemed to get some life back into the legs.
    Actually picked up the pace for the last 4 miles to around 7:10s but boy was I glad it was done, wrecked from the mileage ramp up the last couple of weeks. Surprisingly after I finished, the legs have felt better than they have all week and they are feeling very good this evening considering there is 18 miles in there. I was strict after the run to get fast carbs and protein in within 30 mins so I reckon that helped the recovery somewhat.

Another week down and it’s my highest mileage week ever (I’m going to be saying that for another few weeks to come yet! ;)) Really happy with how the week went from the race, to getting good mileage in and a decent LSR today.

It was topped off by my new kicks arriving this morning, in the club (and Cork) colours! ;) Hopefully these will be the bad boys that will see me to a sub 3 in a few weeks time, all going well!! :)

266754.jpg

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    13.2m|5m|9m|Rest|12m|4m|18m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    61.2m|77.2m|1306.5m

Psst... I think those trainers are pink! I'm sure I have the same pair ;)

That is savage mileage this week, you seem in great shape both physically and mentally, so keep up the good work.

ncmc wrote: »
    Psst... I think those trainers are pink! I'm sure I have the same pair ;)

Never knew you wore Men's Mizunos! :P Different colours avaialble for the ladies. It says red on the box so I'm sticking to it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Never knew you wore Men's Mizunos! :P Different colours avaialble for the ladies. It says red on the box so I'm sticking to it! ;)

That's pretty cool, you got personalised trainers to match your hair :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's pretty cool, you got personalised trainers to match your hair :D

Langer, how's the rehab?

Langer, how's the rehab?

My leg is wrapped In an ice pack as we speak!

Lots of rolling etc. I'm cranky as f€ck though all weekend.

Biking for the next 3 weeks

Gavlor wrote: »
    My leg is wrapped In an ice pack as we speak!

Lots of rolling etc. I'm cranky as f€ck though all weekend.

Biking for the next 3 weeks

Sure you've probably only missed 1 run.

Sure you've probably only missed 1 run.

Haha, I get a bad press

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

i see you ran to Johnswell! That's where i'm from:) Don't live there now but my folks do. We don't get many runners out that direction! Bendy twisty roads with plenty of bad drivers. There's a good hilly 10k there in June I think which you should try sometime. My brother also ran for Gowran but he emigrated recently.

Ososlo wrote: »
    i see you ran to Johnswell! That's where i'm from:) Don't live there now but my folks do. We don't get many runners out that direction! Bendy twisty roads with plenty of bad drivers. There's a good hilly 10k there in June I think which you should try sometime. My brother also ran for Gowran but he emigrated recently.

Interesting you should say that, the Johnswell 10k was my first ever road race a couple of years ago (when I used to rock up with no training :o), ran most of that route today actually, very up and down. :)

I actually do a lot of my LSRs out around the johnswell area..it's good when I want to get out of the town and run a few miles in the country! Fairly tranquil out there I find.

Didn't realise you were a cat, I'll make not of that for the future! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Interesting you should say that, the Johnswell 10k was my first ever road race a couple of years ago (when I used to rock up with no training :o), ran most of that route today actually, very up and down. :)

I actually do a lot of my LSRs out around the johnswell area..it's good when I want to get out of the town and run a few miles in the country! Fairly tranquil out there I find.

Didn't realise you were a cat, I'll make not of that for the future! ;)

An unusual cat in that I am the only person in the county with no interest in hurling! I was actually happy they were knocked out cause I'm sick of listening to them on an on an on every single year.......

When I'm down home is I actually drive to town to run around city and Newpark, Castlecomer road as I just don't trust those drivers on Johnswell Road. Might give it a go again though as training on those hills is invaluable really.
    Best of luck with your training for Chicago!

Friday
    I’m trying as much as possible to run the long runs with company from now on, sacrificing mornings in bed if needs be. I can’t face anymore long runs on my own for the moment as it can be a mental struggle.

I feel your pain - as the mid week runs increase in distance, it gets harder and harder - makes the long runs harder.
    I'm looking out for different routes as the PP is very hilly to do all the runs in and also for different podcasts to keep the mind occupied.

Well done on the 60+ miles this week, I'm due 59 next week but may do an extra mile or 2 just to bring it up a bit!!

Nice pink runners btw - I wonder if they have them in Mens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Enjoyed today. Was glad to get 19 in....I haven't called 1 match right this year.

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 8:43 average pace

Popped out at lunchtime in work to start breaking in my new runners, so much more comfort! Took a shuffle around the Kilkenny countryside watching farmers, tractors and combines in fields, it’s cutting corn time! :) Brings me back to my childhood in the countray where it wasn’t a summer without getting 10 pounds for stacking bales all day. Now that was cheap labour.

No abuse out of ye Dubs now, that food on yer plate comes from somewhere ya know! ;)

Run was finished before is started really and legs feeling back to their best.

Tuesday
    15.3 miles MLR / 7:39 average pace

We are really getting down with the dirty miles now, the long midweek runs after work, probably the worst type, knowing you have to head out for another 2 hours running when you get in from work. :( These really push you, mentally more than physically and if these don’t break you, you have broke the camel’s back.

I have two midweek MLRs scheduled for this week a 13 and a 15 miler, with the 13 supposed to be tonight. For these runs it’s all about playing mental games with your mind to get through them. I set off on my todd planning to do 13 and I was counting down big style to just half way, went out on a bit of an adventure and ran in areas of Kilkenny I have not explored before, then I ran out the Paulstown road for a couple of miles. I turned back at half way (6.5miles) and headed back towards home.

Delighted to get to 10, only 3 left. Then at mile 11, BAM! Told my mind that I’d push on to do 15.

“You b@stard” It said...”only 4 to go” I said! :D.
    Lovely jubly.

If I had started off with 15 on my mind, not a hope in hell I could have faced it, by convincing myself I could do the extra 2 when I was almost there really done the trick. Finished off the last miles with a few strides to get some speed into the legs before finishing up.

Delighted to get the longer of the two done early in the week, already ahead of the game and it’s only Tuesday. :cool: Happy out with the nights work.

Popped out at lunchtime in work to start breaking in my new runners, so much more comfort!

Are your new pink runners all light and fluffy !!! :D

Are your new pink runners all light and fluffy !!! :D

You'll get a boot up the hole with them at the Dublin HM if you're not careful!

Red, damn it, Red!! :D

They are red in the same way my sister claims her daughter is 'strawberry blonde'... That child looks pretty ginger to me!

A 15 and a 13 mid week run? That's really tough, fair play. That was the main reason I couldn't face another round of P&D, the long midweek runs were just too difficult. At least your marathon is a good time of year and you won't have to do those long runs in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Do you have a LSR the weekend as well as the 2 * MLRs?

Advertisement