Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lads is this not a bit OTT, you'd swear the race is tomorrow.
    I know I have made plans for races an hour before the race and tstill changed my mind before the gun. This race is nearly 10 weeks away!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Haha, thanks for all the advise/ opinion lads, great stuff to get so much feedback to ponder.

All this started from a simple question asking what my PMP for a session was! :D

I'll rewind back to this section of the log when there is a week to go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

TRR wrote: »
    After the grief I got <snip> for "pushing" you to chase a sub 3 in Rotterdam I'm loath to advise but 90 minutes is probably a little too conservative. I'd go with 89 and then see what happens. Worse case scenario you hold the pace for a 2.58 but I think you need a little leeway in case you need to stop for a pi$$, your lace opens etc etc

Hillarious...I get reported for using the word <snip>...when referring on CM's log to Clare Balding and the interview she done with a Jockey who has no teeth and the abuse im getting on this thread for looking out for a young fella.
    Clique of the cliques or what.

<snip>. I never blamed you, it was Gavlor I was blaming. You just think its all about you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Gentle reminder TO ALL to play nice. Don't make me have to start handing out time outs :D. Report button found at bottom of each post if you have an issue you wish to raise, raise it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Big Logger wrote: »
    Hillarious...I get reported for using the word <snip>...when referring on CM's log to Clare Balding and the interview she done with a Jockey who has no teeth and the abuse im getting on this thread for looking out for a young fella.

<snip>. I never blamed you, it was Gavlor I was blaming. You just think its all about you!

Whoa, moi?! It was all TRR's fault

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Big Logger wrote: »

p.s. your ego is almighty TRR, you roped your big common horse mouth into the debate about Blocky's sub 3 attempt. I never blamed you, it was Gavlor I was blaming. You just think its all about you!

Not sure what you're on about! I wasn't talking about you but if you see yourself as an implement that may be found in a toolbox than fair enough (don't snip this ecoli you bollix ;)). It's not all about your either rasher.

Anyway getting back on topic. Of course nothing is set in stone and paces etc may change but to say that setting an initial time to train towards is OTT is just wrong IMO. I have a time I want to run in 10 weeks time. I'll train towards that for the next 3-4 weeks do a fitness test and decide if I need to alter time goal so on so forth.

Anyway getting back on topic. Of course nothing is set in stone and paces etc may change but to say that setting an initial time to train towards is OTT is just wrong IMO. I have a time I want to run in 10 weeks time. I'll train towards that for the next 3-4 weeks do a fitness test and decide if I need to alter time goal so on so forth.

Nope I wasn't talking about target. Blockic already said he is training towards 2:55 with a goal of going sub 3. I think that is fair enough. I was referring to race strategy debates. (now don't say you weren't talking about my reply you bollix)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nope I wasn't talking about target. Blockic already said he is training towards 2:55 with a goal of going sub 3. I think that is fair enough. I was referring to race strategy debates. (now don't say you weren't talking about my reply you bollix)

Of course I was ypu $hitehawk :) Would you not agree you need to practice running negative splits in training to run a negative split in a marathon? I generally run the last 40% of my long runs 15-25 seconds per mile quicker to try and simulate that. Same idea why PMP miles are usually at the end of your long run and the start.

Of course I was ypu $hitehawk :) Would you not agree you need to practice running negative splits in training to run a negative split in a marathon? I generally run the last 40% of my long runs 15-25 seconds per mile quicker to try and simulate that. Same idea why PMP miles are usually at the end of your long run and the start.

I prefer to do PMP as a standalone midweek run :), but yeah I like to do the 2nd half of long runs faster.

That said I do like your marathon strategy of 10 miles easy, 10 miles steady, 10k race!! I have negative splitted a few marathons but only by a few seconds, never by 5 minutes; that would be epic.

I prefer to do PMP as a standalone midweek run :), but yeah I like to do the 2nd half of long runs faster.

That said I do like your marathon strategy of 10 miles easy, 10 miles steady, 10k race!! I have negative splitted a few marathons but only by a few seconds, never by 5 minutes; that would be epic.

It would be, a 1.30/1.25 split means dropping from 6.52 to 6.30. To do that you'd want to be well in sub 2.50 shape.

I usually do PMP as stand alone as well. I find I get injured if I tag them onto a LSR. but I still try to pick up pace of LSR if I can.

• Advertisement

It would be, a 1.30/1.25 split means dropping from 6.52 to 6.30. To do that you'd want to be well in sub 2.50 shape.

I usually do PMP as stand alone as well. I find I get injured if I tag them onto a LSR. but I still try to pick up pace of LSR if I can.

Agreed!! For London I had 4 lsrs with PMP in my schedule. Best I managed was 1 mile at PMP and 2 mile at PMP +20 seconds at the end of one long run :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice to near this.

I spent time today looking at my plan and changing some of my MLR to MP sessions, (tergat sessions) as I don't think I could do MP at the end of Long runs.

Negative splitting long runs is a great idea though.

Nice to near this.

I spent time today looking at my plan and changing some of my MLR to MP sessions, (tergat sessions) as I don't think I could do MP at the end of Long runs.

Negative splitting long runs is a great idea though.

Tergat sessions are great; but I have to say having done the famous 5-4-3-2-1 session before I'd honestly prefer just to do 13-14 straight at MP. By the time you get to 2-1 you really don't want the break and just want to get it finished.....That's just my experience....

Oisin11178 who used to post around here alot before moving to ultras always said that his key marathon session was 15 miles straight at MP. No warm up, (you don' get a warm up on race day). Your first mile may be a little slower but you factor this into overall pace. Finish that (in any state) in the middle of a hard week and you are well on target. I pretty much agree with that sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

After the grief I got <snip> for "pushing" you to chase a sub 3 in Rotterdam I'm loath to advise but 90 minutes is probably a little too conservative. I'd go with 89 and then see what happens. Worse case scenario you hold the pace for a 2.58 but I think you need a little leeway in case you need to stop for a pi$$, your lace opens etc etc

Big Logger's gonna get you!! ;)

Tergat sessions are great; but I have to say having done the famous 5-4-3-2-1 session before I'd honestly prefer just to do 13-14 straight at MP. By the time you get to 2-1 you really don't want the break and just want to get it finished.....That's just my experience....

I'm not 100% sure what the thinking behind that session is but I do something similar and it is to simulate picking up the pace after a bad mile. Something like 2 @ MP, 1 easy, 3 @ MP, 1 easy, 2 @ MP. Is an absolute bitch to get the legs moving again especially if it's in the middle of a big mileage week when you are tired.

I jumped in with claralara a while back when she was doing something similar for Berlin it was 3 * 3 miles @ MP with 1 minute jog in between.I think I actually found it harder than her. I'm just not use to altering pace up and down. I guess fartlek could improve that

edit: not saying there is anything wrong with tergat's session just not sure if it is to save the legs or to push them. That session would push mine (like meno) but others may find it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Oisin11178 who used to post around here alot before moving to ultras always said that his key marathon session was 15 miles straight at MP. No warm up, (you don' get a warm up on race day). Your first mile may be a little slower but you factor this into overall pace. Finish that (in any state) in the middle of a hard week and you are well on target. I pretty much agree with that sentiment.

Couldn't agree more.....just mentioned the same thing to blockic today.....run it tired and you know you can run 20 at marathon pace.

Missing: Young, no sorry, very young, young lad.
    Last seen possibly at a teenage disco in Cork - wearing pinkish runners and a Josh Harris cap - possibly worn sideways. Could be a bit blurry as he runs fast. (but not too fast if beer is involved).
    Approach with caution as he will talk you into doing 3 marathons in a few months.

Missing: Young, no sorry, very young, young lad.
    Last seen possibly at a teenage disco in Cork - wearing pinkish runners and a Josh Harris cap - possibly worn sideways. Could be a bit blurry as he runs fast. (but not too fast if beer is involved).
    Approach with caution as he will talk you into doing 4 marathons in a few months.

Haha! :D FYP ;)

Didn't have time to update over the weekend (and I surprisingly wasn't out or drinking), things going well enough even though I screwed up my LSR yesterday.

Will post an update later tonight.

blockic wrote: »
    Haha! :D FYP ;)

Didn't have time to update over the weekend (and I surprisingly wasn't out or drinking), things going well enough I screwed tonight.

Ditto..... ;)

Wednesday
    6.4 miles recovery / 8:39 average pace

Ran this recovery run in 2 parts (so it wasn’t over 45 mins :cool:) After the decent MLR the night before I took it easy and jogged 3 miles over to the club who were doing a 3k time trial. I helped out with the stopwatch clocking times and was a bit jealous I wasn’t doing it myself and then jogged home again.

Thursday
    Run 1: 5 miles easy / 7:13 average pace

So I broke up my second MLR into two parts. Done this run at lunch time in work at a decent clip, but got absolutely soaked in the process,

it was bucketing down. I wore the national half t-shirt and that was not a good idea, it’s terrible for chaffing in the wet so at one point I had to put it over my head and run half topless :eek: ..Just as well it was on dead country roads. Put it back on when I got back into civilisation.
    T-Shirt shorts and new runners were drenched and a ton weight afterwards. At least my pink runners got a good christening. ;)

Run 2: 8 miles easy / 7:56 average pace

Ran the second run that evening in the Castle Park with asimonov and village runner. Miles ticked by fast and the loops were not too bad, I wouldn’t be able to hack laps on my own though…torture.

Friday
    6 miles easy / 7:29 average pace

Down home for the weekend and rushed out the door as soon as I landed to get this out of the way before dark. Went down to the good aul reliable Carrigaline – Crosshaven walkway and done 3 miles out and back. The brother came along with the bike for company.

After we headed into town to welcome our world champion home (did you know Cork were 12th on the medal table ;)), some great scenes and the rain didn’t dampen spirits, he’s some character in fairness and I’d say would be some craic to go out on the lash with. I managed to grab a couple of pics of the night below.

268063.jpg

268064.jpg

Sunday
    20 miles messy / 7:30 average pace

This was a messy one :mad:, the intention was to run 20 with 9 at PMP, there was a 5 mile festival race in the local village that I was going to arrive to with 11 miles done and then run it at MP with a final 4 miles at MP to finish it off.

This didn’t happen however. :o

The first 11 miles went fine and I arrived at the start with about 10 mins to spare, done another mile to keep me ticking over. There were only about 25 in the race.

Started off with the intention of ticking over the marathon miles but with a 6:40 in the first mile (uphill) found me in the lead, glanced at the watch after the second mile and I had a 6:05, that was the end of MP miles then :rolleyes: Being in the lead I couldn’t resist so I kept up the faster pace, 3 miles in second place was about 200m behind but with a 2 miles decent of a finish I kicked on and finished with no one really in sight in 30:41 and a first ever race victory! Didn’t really milk it as I knew that this couldn’t really be classified as a race, but a win is a win I suppose! Got a nice trophy out of it too! How bad.

268065.jpg

I of course, as a result left myself in limbo in regards the LSR which I gave out to myself about. I didn’t race it all out but at the same time I didn’t run it at PMP either. Didn’t think about the main thing. Finished off the run with 3 recovery miles as I had to hang around for the prize giving and couldn’t face MP miles after. Lesson learned.

Going to replace my LT run this week coming with MP miles now instead to make up for the lack of them yesterday. The miles in the race were effectively miles at LT anyway so hopefully the impact of the messy run yesterday will be limited.

Another decent week’s mileage with this week coming a step back week. 8 weeks to go.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5m|15.3m|6.4m|13m|6m|Rest|20m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    65.7m|142.9m|1372.2m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Shark ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Shark ;)

It's all about picking the right races that no one else knows about! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Nice one Blockic, a win is a win!

Jesus, there was some crowd out for Rob Heffernan! There is a homecoming for him tonight in Togher, I think that means he's been AWOL in the pubs of the city since Friday!

wouldn't be beating myself up over that.
    11 miles, then winning a 5 mile race - that's some achievement - I'm sure from a heart rate and effort perspective it'll equate to a long run.

Congrats on the win - must feel good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

if this keeps happening i'll have to become your groupie.

Nice one blocky.....

Meno, step aside, we have a new Gary O'Hanlon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done J that's the first win of many ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Well done blockic, next stop: victory in the Belgooly Xmas 4 mile!

scriba wrote: »
    Well done blockic, next stop: victory in the Belgooly Xmas 4 mile!

Ha, not so sure on that one! Intense competition there!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

I wore the national half t-shirt and that was not a good idea, it’s terrible for chaffing in the wet so at one point I had to put it over my head and run half topless :eek: ..Just as well it was on dead country roads. Put it back on when I got back into civilisation.
    T-Shirt shorts and new runners were drenched and a ton weight afterwards. At least my pink runners got a good christening. ;)

Blocky man up. I know you are like 15 or something and probably body conscious and you also wear girls runners but you need to embrace the gun show. Whip that top off. Swing it around your head when any lads are approaching you. Flex the pecs and tell the ladies to kop a look.

Advertisement