Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Jesus, that R'R T-shirt has given me the worst bleeding nipples I've had in a good 6 years. Got back from 20 miles in it the other day, in the rain in Donegal, and two little round red patches on it. Don't know what its made of, but it may as well have been a sandpaper T-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jesus, that R'R T-shirt has given me the worst bleeding nipples I've had in a good 6 years. Got back from 20 miles in it the other day, in the rain in Donegal, and two little round red patches on it. Don't know what its made of, but it may as well have been a sandpaper T-shirt.
    +1 happened me on Saturday too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 happened me on Saturday too :mad:

That's the main reason I didn't bother getting it as another memento from a race I didn't run ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Love that - its all "National Half" this & "National Half" that, but the minute theres something wrong - its the "R&R".......................fickle the lot of ye. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That's the main reason I didn't bother getting it as another memento from a race I didn't run ;)

Were you not going to ask Meno on Saturday for his top seeing that he's giving everything away these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Love that - its all "National Half" this & "National Half" that, but the minute theres something wrong - its the "R&R".......................fickle the lot of ye. :)

in fairness I was just differentiating between the two t shirts we were given..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

In fairness I didn't run the national marathon/rock 'n' roll but made the guy who took my number give me both t-shirts. Both t-shirts have given me nipple issues. In hindsight the extra blubber I'm carrying may also be an issue but let's just ignore that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good man, nice trophy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Nice to get a trophy for the cabinet, fair play J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 8:50 average pace

Ran this very easy on my usual route for short recovery runs after work down by the river in linear park. Brought the backpack along to stop off at the shop for some bits to save me running home and then driving down to the shop again. Legs tired enough.

Tuesday
    11 miles MLR / 8:18 average pace

Legs absolutely wrecked for this one, they were tired starting off in the park where I met village runner for the first half of it before he departed having done 18 miles. In bits but I plodded on at a very slow pace. Was supposed to run 13 but I packed it in at 11, would not have gained any benefit from doing the extra two. I felt I had ran a marathon the legs were so bait! I think however that the average pace is a bit skewed as I was under trees for the most part, I reckon it was more 8min/mile pace. Feet up for the remander of the evening was the only way to go.

Must get a massage soon to get the legs loosened out.

Wednesday
    11 miles (incl. 8m @ PMP) / 7:05 average pace

As I did not get any marathon paced miles in on Sunday, I wanted to get them in last night. I started off at the watershed with the legs still lethargic but this time I managed to get into my stride. Headed around the ring road and back in the Castlecomer road before finishing on the track in the watershed where the club were in the middle of their session when they arrived back.

The first MP miles felt too fast to be MP for me but then I actually got comfortable enough running at that pace. Good signs to finish strong too. One of the lads was ahead of me when I arrived on the track so I accelerated a bit to catch up with him, hence the last mile being a bit fast.

1 mile easy
    8 miles @PMP (6:40, 6:40, 6:37,6:38, 6:42, 6:38, 6:37, 6:19)
    2 miles cool down

Good stretching session before and after this, something I have gotten a bit lazy on and I can feel it impacting me a bit. Going to get on top of this going forward now again as well as the core for the marathon training run in.

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:58 average pace

Glad of the recovery day today with the mileage taking its toll. The usual work lunchtime recovery run and route on this one, no topless action today though, brought a decent t-shirt for this.

A nasty 21 mile LSR for me now in the morning on my todd around the marina in Cork (any takers?) before I head off on a stag for the weekend. :eek: Might get one run in over the weekend to get rid of the hangover :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice PMP session - looking strong

Haven’t had a chance to update for a few days so time to catch up. Will do Krusty-like updates as it seems to be the “in thing” ;)

Friday
    21 miles LSR / 7:40 average pace

This run was tough mentally (running it on my own) for the first few miles and physically for the last 4 miles last Friday, felt like the end of the marathon, funny that Peckham had a very similar feeling in his LSR too.

I started off by doing 2 loops of the Harty Quay at about 7:50 a mile and then I was getting sick of that so couldn’t face a third loop so instead I went along the Rochestown road and done a loop of Douglas. I was counting down the miles at this stage and it was starting to get a bit tough however I was upping the pace now to about 7:30s after a suggestion by TRR a couple weeks back. If I’m going to negative split in the marathon I better practice increasing the pace slightly on the second half of my LSRs.

At one stage the watch beeped and I swore I thought there were only 3 miles to go but when I looked down it was 4 more! Bo!!ix! Grinded it out to the finish and upped it to 7min/mile pace for the last half mile or so.

Delighted to have it over and done with.

Sunday
    6 miles very easy / 8:10 average pace

Was away in Newcastle for the weekend and managed to squeeze in a run on Sunday with another lad so went at a pace he could manage.

Ran though the university and the Town Moor which is not a bad place to run. Finished off the week by getting scuttered that night and lead to almighty suffering since!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5m|11m|11m|5m|21m|Rest|6m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    59m|201.9m|1431.2m

Monday
    6 miles recovery / 8:49 average pace

Flew home as half the man I left as and somehow scrambled a recovery run in the evening. The recovery was more from the drinking session rather than a tough running session. Pace felt like 5k pace and I’d say I almost fell asleep halfway through ;)

Tuesday
    8 miles easy/ 7:30 average pace

Still not back to normal as I had a 6:30am early start to drive to KK, that evening I switched a planned 14 MLR with 8 miles easy scheduled for later in the week. Didn’t get out until after 9:30pm my latest run in a long time, must say it was refreshing and peaceful to run on empty streets will have to get used to running in the dark again for the winter. Pace was improved also.

Wednesday
    Run 1: 4.2 miles recovery/ 8:44 average pace

Recovery run at lunchtime today. Down to the park for a few loops and then back to work.

Run 2: 12.4 miles club session / (6x400m) x 2

Second run of the day and first club session in a good while. This was done just to keep the legs turning over and get a bit of speed into them. It was so long since I done intervals that I forgot what times I should be doing the 400s at. I soon figured it at around 77 seconds after my first rep was relatively slow at 83. Legs needed to get used to this work again. Worked out ok in the end.

4 miles easy

6x400 with 200m recoveries
    (83,79,76,78,78,79)

4min jog

6x400 with 200m recoveries
    (78,76,78,77,75,75)

3.3 miles cool down

A good day’s work with 16.6 miles in and happy enough with the reps.

Very busy for me again this weekend with a wedding so hoping to get my LSR in Friday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I've a wedding myself in Limerick, the inconvenience of it all :rolleyes:

Training looking solid so far, keep it up :)

blockic wrote: »
    Very busy for me again this weekend with a wedding

At the rate of your Boards activity recently, I reckon it must have been your wedding...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

At the rate of your Boards activity recently, I reckon it must have been your wedding...........

Rasher has been quiet lately..... Just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I heard he was in the wedding party all right .................... But was a pageboy ;)

I'm back! Haha, no chance. Next best thing though! Up the walls the last few days but things settling down again now.

Thursday
    4 miles recovery / 8:47 average pace

The usual lunchtime recovery run at work, planned to do another 4 in the evening but didn't have time.

Friday
    14 miles LSR (incl. 9m @PMP)/ 7:10 average pace

Very disappointing LSR for me last Friday, The plan was for 16 with 11 at MP but setting off I was short on time so I had intended for 14 with 11 at MP. I was down home so I had the option of an out and back hilly route or a mountain route. :rolleyes: picked the hilly route and set off.

First 2 easy miles were up hill before I settled into a level section and started the PMP miles, the first six were comfortable and I felt like I was going great (didn’t realise there was a tailwind for miles 5, 6 and 7) when I went to turn around I was hit with the perfect storm, string headwind on the coast, uphill and down right painful. All of a sudden I was finding it very tough and really struggled to a 7:11 mile which just broke me and I had a mental meltdown.

I stopped for some water and had to quit on the 11 straight pace miles. :(
    With a big dent in my confidence I struggled to 3 miles at about 8min/mile pace slowly gaining a bit of strength back. Out of pure anger with myself I banged out the last 2 miles downhill at 6:30 with frustration.

2 miles easy
    7 miles @PMP (6:46, 6:37, 6:42, 6:47, 6:45, 6:47, 7:11)
    3 miles easy
    2 miles @PMP (6:29, 6:34)

I was gutted straight after at the disaster of the run but looking back now I was not so bad to get 9 marathon miles in, but I really wanted to hit 11 straight in the session. Mile 8 was just a kick in the nuts. Onwards and upwards.

Unfortunately that was the last run of the week for me as an intended Sunday MLR didn’t happen as life got in the way. The rest done me more good than the MLR would have that’s for sure.

So a poor week for mileage, beginning to lose the love a bit in the middle of the schedule. Will try my best from now on to have no more LSRs solo. Determined to bounce back big this week! I can finally get some routine back into my training after a manic 2 weeks.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    6m|8m|16.6m|4m|14m|Rest|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    48.6m|250.5m|1479.8m

Fairly happy with August overall, A half marathon PB and over 250 miles (biggest ever) ain't bad going.:)

Here's hoping for another half marathon PB this month! Chicago is getting scary close! :D

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5

• Advertisement

Fairly happy with August overall, A half marathon PB and over 250 miles (biggest ever) ain't bad going.:)

Here's hoping for another half marathon PB this month! Chicago is getting scary close! :D

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5

That's some serious running!

I bet you can't wait for the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's some serious running!

I bet you can't wait for the marathon

and a nice 0.8 mls lift in miles per days run

6 weeks to go, 3 tough weeks and then 3 taper.

Monday
    8 miles easy (incl. 5m @PMP) / 7:04 average pace

After a good 11 hour sleep the night before I was all refreshed and ready for the week ahead. :D Ran down the carrigaline – crosshaven railway and back with progressive PMP miles once again feeling relatively fine.

2 miles easy
    5 miles @PMP (6:42, 6:41, 6:37, 6:33, 6:32)
    1 mile cool down

Tuesday
    15.2 miles MLR / 7:20 average pace

Ran the most of this with asimonov after work last night and it went very well, I probably wouldn’t have hit the pace I did had it not been for the company so I was very glad of it. Done a few loops of the castle and then some rings of Kilkenny nothing to eventful. It was warm starting off but turned into a nice cool week night for running as the sun went down. Very happy with this run and the pace.

Here is an interesting look at the first 8 months last year vs. this year :eek:

270403.png

270402.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

PMP (6:42, 6:41, 6:37, 6:33, 6:32)

But sub-3 pace is 6:50! ;-)

Cool graphs - Where are they generated from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Peckham wrote: »
    But sub-3 pace is 6:50! ;-)

+1

Unless your target has changed then these are possibly too fast (just a little). Not a bad thing as long as it doesn't affect your training i.e. If they leave you slightly fatigued for the rest of the week. Solid training though!!

Ok, I'll butt out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Determined to bounce back big this week! I can finally get some routine back into my training after a manic 2 weeks.

....Don't you mean two weeks with a maniac ;)

pconn062 wrote: »
    Unless your target has changed then these are possibly too fast (just a little). Not a bad thing as long as it doesn't affect your training i.e.

If anything I'd say my target is just a tad soft!! (yes, I said it!). I think Peckham was winding me up :)

I'm training for a 2:55 marathon but anything under 3 is fine.

Plus, to run sub 3 your likely to need to run 6:45s by the garmin! I'm planning to negative split so the plan is for there to be some 6:3X miles on the day also all going to plan. I don't think the 6:3X miles can do any harm.

If they do start to impact though I'll slow them down for sure.

Peckham wrote: »
    Cool graphs - Where are they generated from?

I use Strava to record all my runs rather than garmin connect, I prefer the outputs and layout better. Bit more interactive I find.

Also I still have that wind breaker* to give back to ya, will bring it to athlone next week.

*cue digger

Big Logger wrote: »
    ....Don't you mean two weeks with a maniac ;)

:D

Well played

• Advertisement

I use Strava to record all my runs rather than garmin connect, I prefer the outputs and layout better. Bit more interactive I find.

Also I still have that wind breaker* to give back to ya, will bring it to athlone next week.

*cue digger

SportTracks is fantastic for charts etc.
    I'm a sad GIT who uses GC and ST and The Garmin TC.

Advertisement