Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wednesday
    6 miles easy

Ran this on the track while the club were doing their session. Forgot the watch but reckon it was about 8min/mile pace.

Thursday
    11 miles LTR / 6:54 average pace (incl. 7m @ LT)

A beauty of a session this one is. I wasn’t looking forward to it but it is ideal to bang out 10 days before a goal HM. It has served me well so far this year so why change something that’s not broken. Was a bit stiff in the first two miles :confused: thinking I hadn’t a hope of banging out 7 LT miles but I eventually got into it, sooner it starts the sooner it’s over.

You know that you are doing this session right when you try to convince yourself to quit on it at least twice during it, while in the end convincing yourself not to quit. :D Pure mind games...
    Target was in around 6:05 and all in all I averaged 6:08, I’m happy with it leading into hopefully a sub 80 half next week.

2 miles easy
    7 miles @ LT (6:11, 6:03, 6:12, 6:07, 6:11, 6:10, 6:02)
    2 miles easy

Couple of recovery days now before long LSR this weekend, my second last 20+ miler! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »
    Wednesday
    6 miles easy

Ran this on the track while the club were doing their session. Forgot the watch but reckon it was about 8min/mile pace.

Thursday
    11 miles LTR / 6:54 average pace (incl. 7m @ LT)

A beauty of a session this one is. I wasn’t looking forward to it but it is ideal to bang out 10 days before a goal HM. It has served me well so far this year so why change something that’s not broken. Was a bit stiff in the first two miles :confused: thinking I hadn’t a hope of banging out 7 LT miles but I eventually got into it, sooner it starts the sooner it’s over.

You know that you are doing this session right when you try to convince yourself to quit on it at least twice during it, while in the end convincing yourself not to quit. :D Pure mind games...
    Target was in around 6:05 and all in all I averaged 6:08, I’m happy with it leading into hopefully a sub 80 half next week.

2 miles easy
    7 miles @ LT (6:11, 6:03, 6:12, 6:07, 6:11, 6:10, 6:02)
    2 miles easy

Couple of recovery days now before long LSR this weekend, my second last 20+ miler! :eek:

Fantastic session Blocky. I absolutely hate that one and you make it sound easy :rolleyes: The mind games are definitely the worst part of it - you seem to have that one well under control :D

Jaysus my heart!! Will take the draw as I thought we were gone with 10 to go!! Thought we had nicked it in the end! Some game.

Running update later after I calm down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Clare threw it away at the end...some poor decision making.

Update for Athlone....well the back is better today and I'd be reasonably confident of getting back running this week. The problem is I'm about as badly prepared for this one as you could get with very little running over last few weeks. My original target of 1:45 looks a little ambitious right now. Hopefully I can run easy Tuesday, test myself with a few hmp miles on Wednesday and then I will know where I stand.

Im ibuprofened up to the eyeballs, stretching like I've never stretched before,rubbing weird anti inflammatory gel into my back , something called Devils claw! So trying everything but witchcraft ( and I haven't ruled that out yet) to be ok for Saturday.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Clare threw it away at the end...some poor decision making.

Update for Athlone....well the back is better today and I'd be reasonably confident of getting back running this week. The problem is I'm about as badly prepared for this one as you could get with very little running over last few weeks. My original target of 1:45 looks a little ambitious right now. Hopefully I can run easy Tuesday, test myself with a few hmp miles on Wednesday and then I will know where I stand.

Im ibuprofened up to the eyeballs, stretching like I've never stretched before,rubbing weird anti inflammatory gel into my back , something called Devils claw! So trying everything but witchcraft ( and I haven't ruled that out yet) to be ok for Saturday.

Very good, don't rush it back, go really easy tuesday and I wouldn't do anymore than 3 at HMP on Wednesday, add a warm up and coold down...see how you are then! We'll get ya to the start line yet! I'll try run 1:16 to make up for your ambitious target! :pac: The motivation of beating RK, career_move and statss is worth 3 mins surely! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Very good, don't rush it back, go really easy tuesday and I wouldn't do anymore than 3 at HMP on Wednesday, add a warm up and coold down...see how you are then! We'll get ya to the start line yet! I'll try run 1:16 to make up for your ambitious target! :pac: The motivation of beating RK, career_move and statss is worth 3 mins surely! :cool:

That's a bit conservative isn't it?? You should aim to go out at 5:45 pace J .... no bother to you

That's a bit conservative isn't it?? You should aim to go out at 5:45 pace J .... no bother to you

:P

Friday
    4 miles recovery / 8:38 average pace

Ran a real slow few miles on Friday before I went to the physio for a routine rub down. Stretching has been a bit inconsistent lately and he could tell. Toughest 30 mins in there in a long time! But all is in working order, calves just were a bit tight and my neck was worked on a bit also as it is still a bit stiff however much improved to what is was a couple of months back.

Legs felt great after this and was raring to go again. Stretching is back as a priority now for the next 5 weeks.

Saturday
    4 miles recovery / 8:48 average pace

Another slow one to prep for my LSR today. Dipped in and out and was home before I knew it. Good bit of this done on grass.

Sunday
    22 miles LSR (incl. 5m @ PMP) / 7:24 average pace

Haven’t posted my weight in a while, it has come down to ideal racing weight over the last month or so. Was 69.5kg when I stepped on the scales this morning. Would love to have it at that on October 13th!

Anyway, managed to hook up with asimonov for this one as I really didn’t want to do it on my own. I done 30mins first before the old speedster arrived and we ventured out to the ring road. He had PMP miles planned in his session where as I had not but I was up for throwing a couple in in the later stages. With about an hour left the pace miles started and I said I would see how long I’d be able to stick with him. The answer was about a mile and a half :eek::o before I stepped back to a more manageable 6:40 pace for me as me left me for dust off into the distance.

I decided to tag on a few more PMP miles with 15 miles of easy running done as I felt it would stand to me. Decided on 5 and I felt fairly strong for them which I’m delighted with. Finished off with 2 easy miles again fairly comfortable although with about half a mile to go I did start to get that marathon body draining feeling as the glycogen was dipping low! Good to know what it feels like again! ;) Finished in 2:43 not bad going and really happy to have nailed that one.

14.5 miles easy
    5 miles @ PMP (6:23, 6:38, 6:48, 6:47, 6:42)
    2.5 miles easy

Thanks to asimonov for the company for most of it as It would have been mentally tough otherwise today. Instead the time flew.

So that’s my 100% mileage week done and dusted, great to have a good week after the messing one previously. It’s now all downhill for me from here with 65, 65, 55, 42 and race week. 5 weeks to showtime!! :D

And Cork live to fight another day, great day all round!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    8m|15.2m|6m|11m|4m|4m|22m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    70.2m|70.2m|1550m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I keep forgetting your marathon is closer than some of the rest of us, getting close to squeaky bum time , great to see you going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice work. Especially the PMP.

70 mile week.....savage.

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    I keep forgetting your marathon is closer than some of the rest of us, getting close to squeaky bum time , great to see you going strong.
    Nice work. Especially the PMP.

70 mile week.....savage.

Nice one, the good news out of it is that it really didn't feel like a high mileage week! As strange as that may seem.

Looking forward to some racing action now next weekend all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Nice one, the good news out of it is that it really didn't feel like a high mileage week! As strange as that may seem.

Looking forward to some racing action now next weekend all the same!

This time last year you'd have probably thought 70 mile weeks was either insane or outside your reach, nows it's just a walk in the park to you, savage progress in a short space of time.

docjewel wrote: »
    This time last year you'd have probably thought 70 mile weeks was either insane or outside your reach, nows it's just a walk in the park to you, savage progress in a short space of time.

Funny you say that. I actually remember looking at your very own miles on the spreadsheet earlier this year thinking you were a nutter doing 70 mile weeks! :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Friday

So that’s my 100% mileage week done and dusted, great to have a good week after the messing one previously. It’s now all downhill for me from here with 65, 65, 55, 42 and race week. 5 weeks to showtime!! :D
    I love it when a plan comes together. Great to see the work paying off and everything falling in to place.

Sounds like you're in good shape to tackle Krusty miles (100+ pw) after the marathon :D

Monday
    10 miles (incl. 7m @ MP) / 6:54 average pace

Things are clicking in to place nicely for me now and I have some nice momentum going just at the right time. :)

With the race on Saturday this week is slightly front loaded and after the long run yesterday I felt this would be a good chance to get my session in and more marathon miles done on tired legs.

In fact my legs recovered well from yesterday and the marathon pace miles tonight were feeling quite managable despite yesterdays long run which I'm well pleased about. In fact I kept forcing myself to slow down...all good omens. My cleaning out of the cupboard of food after yesterday's run didn't impact too much! :o

1 mile easy
    7 miles @ MP (6:49, 6:33, 6:36, 6:35, 6:35, 6:34, 6:36)
    2 miles easy

Medium long run either tomorrow or Wednesday depending how I recover from today and the rest recovery miles until Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

7 miles @ MP (6:49, 6:33, 6:36, 6:35, 6:35, 6:34, 6:36)

Challenge for you will be to hold yourself back as myself and RFR head off at sub 2:50 pace and you're trying to hold yourself back. If that's still your plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Peckham wrote: »
    Challenge for you will be to hold yourself back as myself and RFR head off at sub 2:50 pace and you're trying to hold yourself back. If that's still your plan!

+1

I was talking to a guy yesterday who told me a story about his dad, his dad trained for a sub 3 in 1985, he hit all the training, done the sub 65 10 mile and went 1:2X in a HM - then on the day of the marathon decided to go for 2:50.

He blew up in the last few miles and finished in 3:13.

Your training looks solid though and I think you've got a good few lessons behind you. No bother Boy....

Peckham wrote: »

I know, It's looking like that alright will be tough one but I have a couple of more weeks to think about the strategy, sub 3 is looking soft at the moment but I really don't want to blow up!

Might compromise somewhere in between yet.
    +1

I was talking to a guy yesterday who told me a story about his dad, his dad trained for a sub 3 in 1985, he hit all the training, done the sub 65 10 mile and went 1:2X in a HM - then on the day of the marathon decided to go for 2:50.

He blew up in the last few miles and finished in 3:13.

Your training looks solid though and I think you've got a good few lessons behind you. No bother Boy....

Nice one for the confidence booster! ;) And for your info I wasn't born in '85! :pac:

Looking in great form for Saturday and beyond!:)

Hope I can deliver something near a decent run for our team on saturday. Update for today is my back is feeling stronger,was even tempted to go for a run. I'll leave it till tomorrow though.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Looking in great form for Saturday and beyond!:)

Hope I can deliver something near a decent run for our team on saturday. Update for today is my back is feeling stronger,was even tempted to go for a run. I'll leave it till tomorrow though.

Haha, no sweat sure It's only for the laugh anyway, nothing serious. If you are able to get to the start line, finish and enjoy the day that's all that matters!

• Advertisement

Haha, no sweat sure It's only for the laugh anyway, nothing serious. If you are able to get to the start line, finish and enjoy the day that's all that matters!

Feck that ...we have to give the "King" a Royal beating;)

But yeah...I agree really.

Tuesday
    6 miles recovery / 8:51 average pace

My planned long run on Tuesday was hampered by an incident at home so had to postpone it until Wednesday. :mad: Instead I got out later that night for a recovery run on my usual short route with half of this done on grass.

Wednesday
    12 miles MLR / 8:05 average pace

Got out for my long run on Wednesday but due to the fact that it was a day closer to the Half Marathon on Saturday I slowed the pace down and cut 2 miles off the end of it and finished up on at 12. Felt fairly tired during this one and don’t think I could have gone much faster anyway.

Thursday
    6 miles recovery / 8:39 average pace

Another routine recovery jog in prep for Saturday with a few strides towards the end to “dial in the pace” as the boyo says. :rolleyes: Apparently it’s the “in thing” at the moment. :pac:

No run today and all set for tomorrow, neither confident nor worried so we’ll see how it goes.:cool:

My revised target earlier on in the year after Meath in March was to break 80 for the HM in 2013. With this being my last HM of the year it leads to a “go big or go home” philosophy tomorrow! 39 precious seconds to cut off last months RocknRoll.

Head out and hope to hang on to RunForestRun is the plan!

Looking forward to seeing both familiar and new faces in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good luck tomorrow, but keep the eyes on the big prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow J. Some really top quality running going on here these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck tomorrow. Expect 79 and 81 in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

See you tomorrow blockic, funny I'm just hoping to keep you in sight tomorrow, things going great for you lately.. Sub 1:20 would be great to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

talk to you tomorrow chief, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And for your info I wasn't born in '85! :pac:

Nor was I..... It was considerably before that ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Nor was I..... It was considerably before that ;)

That's true, second world war I'd say! :D You caused it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

statss wrote: »
    talk to you tomorrow chief, good luck!

Wrong log???

Advertisement