Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Nor was I...)

No...but your missus was.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Wrong log???

His team will need all the luck they can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Wrong log???

Nah, it's Blocky's alright, he just forgot he had sweetcorn earlier :D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

statss wrote: »
    His team will need all the luck they can get

Ah good point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Nah, it's Blocky's alright, he just forgot he had sweetcorn earlier :D:eek:

Not sure I even want to know what that means!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Not sure I even want to know what that means!!!!

Eh, yep, probably better not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Saturday 14th September

Athlone Half Marathon

Chip Time: 1:19:31 - New PB!
    Average Pace: 6.01/mile
    Result: 35/939

Mission accomplished!! Happy man here this evening with my revised Half Marathon target for 2013 in the bag! :D

Headed down this morning to the race with career_move and purceninho who kindly provided me with transport! Thanks a million P.

We arrived in plenty time but the first car park was already full, eager beavers! Registration was very fast, over in less than 2 minutes and then I somehow managed to get caught for an interview on camera with the Athlone flatline team about the boards team event! Luckily for me after a few minutes I managed to off load the crew to claralara :cool: and I duly escaped to get ready...

Time was flying and soon it was time for a warm up so done a couple of easy miles and stretches. After a quick acknowledgement between other boardsies we headed to the start line where I met RunForestRun (RFR) as we had agreed to set off together.

Start line appeared very well arranged this year so well done to the organisers for that!

Miles 1-4 (6:08, 6:03, 6:06, 6:02)

Soon we were off and I was chomping at the bit, so after a couple of corners I brought it back a tad for a planned comfortable first mile. The first 4 miles continued handy enough with myself and RFR chatting away, but it wouldn’t be long before we went quiet!

Miles 5 -10 (5:58, 6:00, 6:05, 6:13, 6:05, 5:55)

We were picking people off from very early on but I knew that the pace we were going was my very limit in terms of avoiding a blow up. If it was a few seconds faster I knew it would end horribly so I was playing with a fine line but thankfully held it together. RFR was going strong from what it looked like at around mile 6 and at this stage I felt my sub 80 was touch and go. I told him to kick on if he wished, however he came back with something along the lines of “no chance!” :D but I can’t remember exactly what it was now. The northern and cork accent were having communication issues at times! ;)

At mile 7 we hit a fairly fresh head wind that seemed to follow us no matter what direction we went so we took turns as the leading runner to give the other some shelter. This was then accompanied by mile 8 which was a slight drag and resulted in my slowest mile in the race.

We met VaderMLK at this stage who I encouraged to join us but in his own words he “blew the head gasket” (:D great description) so we powered on. RFR was now starting to suffer a bit and said I should power ahead if I wished, we turned onto the main Ballinasloe road and I started powering on ahead without me realising. :o It felt good so I kept with it picking off runners here and there, the main road went on for a bit longer than I expected but soon we made the turn for home.

Miles 11 -13.1 (5:58, 6:02, 5:50)

I tend to break up HM into 3 sections:

1) The first couple of miles are for easing into it, usually slightly slower than HMP.
    2) From miles 3 – 10 I go comfortably hard, usually HMP.
    3) Then for miles 11-13.1 I go uncomfortably hard, usually faster than HMP

So now it was discomfort time! :D I attempted to throw on the thrusters and see what I had left, the answer was not much, but enough to increase the pace slightly and continue to pass runners. Mile 11 went fairly fast but then I was crying for the turn back onto the road where we initially came out of Athlone to appear. FINALLY it arrived and the end was in sight.

I checked the watch at mile 12 and knew if I kept the last mile under 6 min/mile the sub 80 was in the bag. Up ahead I saw four Mullingar Harriers in a single file so I began to pick them off one by one, legs screaming and me suffering now, I continued to push, places were up for grabs managed to dispose of 3 of them and as we rounded the second last corner I passed the 4th, Gerry Duffy who had pipped me by 2 places in the RocknRoll (revenge is sweet! :)) I had adrenaline now as I rounded the final straight...just where I wanted to be. With a few yards to go for the first time this year I showed a bit of emotion at the finish and laid out an almighty fist pump in recognition of business taken care of. Get in! Sweet personal victory, the nicest kind. :)

Great to meet the usual boardsies after and sorry for not getting to know some new faces, left my boards t-shirt in the car so I have no doubt we were likely difficult to find. If you go to McGrattans on Oct 28th, I promise you will definitely find us! :D

Thanks Marthastew for the rice krispie buns, they went down a treat! Thanks to RFR for setting me up for a great finish with his company for the first 2/3 of the race which really helped.

And well done to all boardies who ran today, some great results achieved and nice to see some prizes won amongst you all too!

Post Race Analysis

A conversation was had on the trip home today about where I was this time last year and it was then that my progression only struck me and hit home. On 14th September last year I had a Half Marathon PB of 1:38 before I set off to run Athlone the following day. I ran 1:32 on the day and I was absolutely chuffed with the 6 min PB. I looked at the lads running sub 1:30 back then thinking maybe I could break that mark in 12 months time (I was only new to running then with not much clue) and as for people running sub 1:20, well I thought it was dream land.

Here today I sit with that very time thinking how the hell did I get here! It’s amazing what some commitment, consistency and a bit of luck can do for your performances.

I could not have imagined what success the last 12 months has brought me in running circles from both race results and a whole new set of running friends mostly originating from boards. So thank you all for the support and good will.

Finally, very happy with today’s run and all is going to plan for Chicago which is nice. Just need to keep it together now for the next 4 weeks and hopefully gain some revenge and finally knock out at decent time in the marathon. The journey has officially begun from today’s windy Athlone town to the windy city!

For tonight though, it’s time for beer and pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done blockic - fantastic result.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done J - delighted for you. The bad days make days like this taste all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done , fantastic result, delighted for u. My god u have come so far, u must b proud as punch , u have worked so hard and certainly deserve it! Huge congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

lovely jubbly. Well done that's a great run and as you say amazing progression. Was only thinking about you earlier (don't get worried, mostly in a non-sexual way ;)) and was wondering what times could you be running for the marathon in 3-5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Congrats blockic great running, keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running, well deserved result.
    When your in Rio, I can say, I done a warm down with him............... :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done blockic - fantastic result.. :D

Thanks! Didn't manage bump into you today Tom. Disaster. Next time hopefully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great running J. You'll be the man to watch in Chicago!

Enjoy the beer and pizza tonight - clean living from tomorrow!

TRR wrote: »
    lovely jubbly. Well done that's a great run and as you say amazing progression. Was only thinking about you earlier (don't get worried, mostly in a non-sexual way ;)) and was wondering what times could you be running for the marathon in 3-5 years.

Cheers for that. You should also wonder what times digger will be running! ;)

I guess it all depends on when my progression is going to plateau. Hopefully not soon!

Peckham wrote: »
    Enjoy the beer and pizza tonight - clean living from tomorrow!

That is for sure. A one night only gig! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'm in total awe at your progress J, it really is stunning. Well done, can't wait to hear what happens in Chicago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

blockic wrote: »

I guess it all depends on when my progression is going to plateau. Hopefully not soon!

Plateaus are for those who wish to settle!

TRR wrote: »
    Plateaus are for those who wish to settle!

Nicely done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great running today blockic, delighted for you to break 80, even more to come by the looks of things. Your last4 miles were excellent, nobody passed me, I caught 3 or 4, yet you still finished 10 places ahead.. Bodes very well.. See you in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

BTW its worth mentioning this:
    The first 4 miles continued handy enough with myself and RFR chatting away

You were running just over 6 minute miles. That's faster than my 5k pace. That's just extraordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Awesome, just awesome. Well done, you deserve every bit of it and what's coming in the future too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Well done on a fantastic result! Looking forwarding to meeting up in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Just saw your run on strava lad. Savage stuff. Well done J.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

....you deserve every bit of it and what's coming in the future too.
    I know that wasn't mean as a threat, but boy does it read that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good man, brilliant running that is.Congrats on the new PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great time in Athlone, well done. At this rate I'd be happy with that time for a 10M :o

Sunday
    9.5 miles easy / incl. Danesfort 10km (50 min pacer)

I had pencilled in a long run today (about 14-16 miles) after the half yesterday to run on tired legs. I was asked to pace 50 minutes for a 10km race earlier on in the week and as it was 8 min / mile pace I thought it would suit to incorporate it in to the long run.
    However, woke up this morning a bit stiff and my left Achilles seemed to be overtired from yesterday. So I threw the long run out the window and just decided to pace the race and that would be me done for the week.

Horrible conditions on arrival with the wind and rain almost knocking the registration tent. Not much PB potential out there today.

The race was routine had a group of about 5 or 6 and got most over, but many were sandbagging and I told them so! Nice route and finished in 49:57 :cool: It was nearly recovery pace for me so knew I couldn’t to any damage.

Added a 2 mile warm-up and cool down to add up the miles. Will monitor half marathon recovery very closely for the next few days. Might even go for another rub-down, getting a bit over cautious now and it’s not even taper yet!!

One more decent week and then taper time!! This time 4 weeks I hope to be in a bar in Chicago beer in hand and a job well done.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    10m|6m|12m|6m|Rest|16.6m|9.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    60.1m|130.3m|1610.1m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Fair play J. That's some running. It's the toughest distance out there in my opinion so to be able to pick it up for the last few miles when running at that pace shows great strength. You're in great shape for Chicago.

Advertisement