Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

+1000 to this & Peckhams post.

That's a solid training cycle you've went through and you're in great shape physically and mentally.
    You've kept the log 'negative free' over the year - Don't start now.

* Q onslaught of over analysis on Blockys mental state......... :)

Can't wait to get inside his head on Saturday morning.... By the time the run is over he'll be questioning his ability to drive 26.2 miles never mind run it under 3 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Peckham wrote: »
    Three weeks out from the marathon you get through a 20 mile run with 13 miles PMP, and a few additional miles that simulate the final miles of the marathon. I'd be taking a lot of confidence from that.

For example, there won't be many people lining up in Chicago looking for their first sub-3 who have a sub-80 half under their belt.

Thanks Peckham, guess I was hoping to nail the last long LSR rather than suffer over the last few miles. I thought it would have been easier than what it was but the HM was still in the legs so I guess it's not as bad as I made it out! As you say, getting the feeling of the pain in last two miles was a good thing!
    ncmc wrote: »
    I agree with Peckham, I know you don’t want to be overly confident and cocky, but you have to take the positives when they are there. Your training has been fantastic, your HM PB is impressive, you cruised around Cork in 3:12 (did you even break a sweat?) You have a large number of quality miles done.

I know you don’t want to count your chickens after Rotterdam, but don’t let the negative thoughts get comfy in your head. Most people would chomp the hand off you to have a week like you did last week and you’re saying it was lacking in quality miles???? It was the week after a HM, of course the legs were going to be a little sluggish!

You should be very proud of the training you have done and especially bouncing back the way you did from Rotterdam, that would be enough to have some people never pulling on their pink trainers ever again ;) Not to mention that you will have four marathons done by the time the anniversary of your first marathon comes around.

Ever think about starting motivation classes on the side? :) Cheers makes a lot on sense and the positivity is starting to return!
    You've kept the log 'negative free' over the year - Don't start now.

Suprised by that as I'm a negative nigel in the real world! :pac: ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Can't wait to get inside his head on Saturday morning.... By the time the run is over he'll be questioning his ability to drive 26.2 miles never mind run it under 3 hours :D

Haha, you're some wind up merchant! :D

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, you're some wind up merchant! :D

All I ask is that you give me some kind of a target this time around.....

DNF pppffftttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Blockic, from what I've seen in the two races we've had together, you're the closest thing to certainty for a sub-3 that you could get. You're probably in the exact same physical condition as I am right now or even slightly ahead, and I'm about 60% confident of a sub 2:50. If the conditions are even remotely in normal ranges, you're in for a great marathon. The 20 with 13MP is a tough session, the fact that you did your 13 in the early part of it was always going to make the last couple of miles a slog. Super way to round off an absolutely top class training cycle. See you in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks RFR, got my confidence levels right up. Looking forward to the pre-race pints prep in Departures! ;)

Into double digits for weeks in the training plan now, is it time to start getting excited yet? I think so :D

Monday
    7 miles easy / 7:57 average pace

Ran after work last night around the castle for a couple of loops and then back home, fairly routine but I felt a bit sluggish and the effort seemed a lot more than the pace suggested.

Tuesday
    Rest

Man Flu ALERT! Code Orange!

Now last night’s run makes sense. Woke up this morning with symptoms of this debilitating disease and felt horrible all day. But it’s not all out man flu yet, only code orange.

Even considered to give the Man Flu helpline a call at one stage this evening (Digger ;)) but decided to wait until code red. :D

Postponed tonight’s 12 miler as a result, hoping I’ll be able for it, or even part of it tomorrow. Bit of a disaster as I don’t want to start missing runs this far out, really want to keep ticking over.

But better to take the hit now and have it over and done with rather than 2 weeks time I guess so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Postponed tonight’s 12 miler as a result, hoping I’ll be able for it, or even part of it tomorrow. Bit of a disaster as I don’t want to start missing runs this far out, really want to keep ticking over.

But better to take the hit now and have it over and done with rather than 2 weeks time I guess so all good.

Smart move! You'll lose nothing from missing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My prayers are with you to make it through. We have already lost many a good soldier from the disease :D

Wednesday
    6.1 miles easy / 7:53 average pace

Out with the club for this and we went on an easy run for a change. I wasn't feeling too great but it was only a head cold above the neck so got up and out.

Was grand out on the run and pace felt fine too.

Thursday
    Rest :mad:

Frustration is creeping in now. Planned to do between 8-12 tonight which was supposed to be Tuesday. Didn't feel too bad all day but this evening I felt a bit caught/ soreness beginning to creep in on the chest but not coughing yet.

I ain't taking no risks as this stage so I wrote it off...forget that 12 mile now...history and move on.

Easy 5 is the plan tomorrow and 16-18 Saturday morning, lets hope I get better news tomorrow. If I get the long run in I'd be well happy.

Taper madness is bad enough as it is without having to miss runs and feeling sick. Annoying to say the least. But cant do nothing about it only dose myself to the gills.

Aggghhh!!! :mad:

If I miss tomorrow all my training is out the window. :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Paging Dr Gavlor, paging Dr Gavlor. Time for your patented brand of reassurance. Actually, RK is on a bit of a role too, he's looking for more splitters :)

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Paging Dr Gavlor, paging Dr Gavlor. Time for your patented brand of reassurance. Actually, RK is on a bit of a role too, he's looking for more splitters :)

Whoa, I actually hope the road rises in front of him and the wind blows his eyebrows off in Chicago so this dose of man flu is an added bonus :D

Edit, of course what I meant to say was that with the work that he has banked, a couple of rest days will do more good than harm. This cold is just the body putting up a white flag after months of hard running, racing and pacing.

He'll be stronger for it ;)

I'm having a similarly crap week, only got 8 easy miles under the belt since Sunday, just been too busy.. No point stressing bout missing on couple of sessions just two weeks away, rest might be just as beneficial at this stage.. Get in a long run this weekend if possible, it'll probably feel very comfortable if you're rested up and back to full health

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Yes! For once my training week is going better than both of yours! ;)

Friday
    Enforced Rest

Seeing as it's at the business end of the marathon schedule I think it's best to record forced rest days for looking back at later, for whatever reason.

Infection thought about setting in on the chest but I think I have caught it early and it's well broken up down there from all the combinations and potions i've been throwing down my throat today.

Not really wise to run so I put it off this evenings run and I've also bailed on Gavlor for tomorrow morning, gutted about that one. ;) Playing it day by day now but hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel, feeling much better than previous days, almost normal, just the chest left to sort out.

I'll see how I am in the morning but might jog the 5 miles i missed today as a test if I am feeling good. Then my LSR is put off until Sunday or even Monday after work, giving myself as much chance as possible to get it in... here's hoping...

Meanwhile in the household of blockic.... Taper Madness???

273561.jpg

273561.jpg

I'm calling WADA. Ben Johnson got done for less :D

Friday
    Enforced Rest

Seeing as it's at the business end of the marathon schedule I think it's best to record forced rest days for looking back at later, for whatever reason.

Infection thought about setting in on the chest but I think I have caught it early and it's well broken up down there from all the combinations and potions i've been throwing down my throat today.

Not really wise to run so I put it off this evenings run and I've also bailed on Gavlor for tomorrow morning, gutted about that one. ;) Playing it day by day now but hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel, feeling much better than previous days, almost normal, just the chest left to sort out.

I'll see how I am in the morning but might jog the 5 miles i missed today as a test if I am feeling good. Then my LSR is put off until Sunday or even Monday after work, giving myself as much chance as possible to get it in... here's hoping...

273561.jpg

Blouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Friday
    Enforced Rest

273561.jpg

My wife gives me these pills - she says they're great for running and stuff - not too sure what they're called but they are blue?? Strange side effects though.

My wife gives me these pills - she says they're great for running and stuff - not too sure what they're called but they are blue?? Strange side effects though.

Thats for the dip at the finish line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

One of those pills stuck in my throat before and I woke up with a stiff neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    One of those pills stuck in my throat before and I woke up with a stiff neck!

And your pants on backwards?

• Advertisement

From the Chicago Marathon Participant Guide...
    In accordance with IAAF and USATF sanctions, athletes are subject to anti-doping rules. An anti-doping rule violation occurring during or in connection with the event may lead to disqualification of the athletes’ individual results, including forfeiture of all awards, points and prizes

I will be furious if we win this team prize and are subsequently hauled in for testing and your new found drug addiction costs me my first ever "win". :mad: (However, in that situation the significant volume of alcohol in our systems at that stage could also prove problematic).

More seriously - don't doubt what you're doing, you're doing the right thing. In the meantime, watch this to get you focussed on the big day! Watching it myself at the moment.

Saturday
    Rest

No running yesterday, body said no.

Sunday
    1.5 miles easy / 7:47 average pace

Body still not perfect today, although I am on the heal slowly. Decided I would go out on the afternoon for a 5 miler to test the waters.

It was a cold misty and damp day down south and after 3/4 of a mile I realised that this was a stupid idea, recovering from a chest infection and i go running in the damp....idiotic...so I turned around and went back home.

The actual running and breathing wasn't an issue more the fear that I'd prolong the illness by running in poor conditions.

So, I won’t be getting complacent either and waste all my work by going too easy for the last 3 weeks, I need a healthy balance. It’s taper time, so a reduction in mileage but not a reduction in intensity! ;)

Well time to eat my words...disaster of a taper so far...and likely to continue for another couple of days....decided i'm going to hit up the doctor tomorrow morning, get an antibiotic into me and get this sorted once and for all. Wasted enough time as it is, should have gone Friday. Chest is still a bit sore. Hoping ill be able to run again in 48 hrs and it doesn't knock the stuffing out of me. Need to get something going on the running scene while I finish off the course meds...

This lark does nothing for your menality during taper...cranky, agitated and bouncing off walls at the moment!

The mileage last week says it all! :(

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    7m|Rest|6.1m|Rest|Rest|Rest|1.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    14.6m|197.3m|1687.1m

Anyway, let's hope next week fares better.

Keep focused on what you can do. Sleep well, eat well.

I know it doesn't feel like it now, but when you get to the start line, you'll be completely fresh, rested and hopefully, 100% healthy. Something like this could be a blessing, the volume of work you've done is savage, you're not going to go backwards. Keep the head up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Never underestimate a chest infection and don't rush back to running before you're ready - take all the rest you can and you'll be fresh as a daisy for the race.

This lark does nothing for your menality during taper...cranky, agitated and bouncing off walls at the moment!

I think that's called gingervitis :D

Regarding the break, I'm convinced it'll do you the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

...decided i'm going to hit up the doctor tomorrow morning, get an antibiotic into me and get this sorted once and for all. Wasted enough time as it is, should have gone Friday.

Glad you decided to do this. If I hadnt read it here today I was going to suggest it. I generally use antibiotics as a last resort but I had similar situation to you a couple of weeks before DCM and I went to doc to get the antibiotics before it got any worse and it was a decision i didn't regret.

Keep well over the next while now.Nothing silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I think that's called gingervitis :D

Regarding the break, I'm convinced it'll do you the world of good

...hes like that with me all the time for some bazaar reason :rolleyes:

Big Logger wrote: »
    ...hes like that with me all the time for some bazaar reason :rolleyes:

Turkish market?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger