Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Horse the Berocca's into you and get plenty of sleep. Good luck in the docs I'm sure you'll be fine a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Going to the Dr. sounds like the right call. Don't stress, hay is in the barn and all that. Also remember Haile G set one of his marathon WR's after being too sick to run for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Best of luck at the doc's today J, I'm sure you're finding it hard to take on board all the positive posts but your training has been phenomenal and an illness at this stage will not hugely impact your result.
    This time two weeks from now we'll all be on here posting wonderful messages of congratulations on an amazing run in Chicago:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks guys...so nothing too major...just a lingering infection, a couple of days on drugs and I can go back running if I feel up to it.

I actually can't wait to go out on a run...mad...hunger well and truly back. Too late for my 17-18 miler now, so moving on to do this weeks schedule as planned once I'm back up and running...13 miles next weekend and I'll be happy enough.

Now getting off the internet for the day to avoid Breaking Bad spoilers until tonight! :cool: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks guys...so nothing too major...just a lingering infection, a couple of days on drugs and I can go back running if I feel up to it.

I actually can't wait to go out on a run...mad...hunger well and truly back. Too late for my 17-18 miler now, so moving on to do this weeks schedule as planned once I'm back up and running...13 miles next weekend and I'll be happy enough.

Now getting off the internet for the day to avoid Breaking Bad spoilers until tonight! :cool: :pac:
    Good stuff :D Make sure you don't go mad fast when you do start back running ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good stuff :D Make sure you don't go mad fast when you do start back running ;)

But he ALWAYS goes mad fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

How are you feeling?

Peckham wrote: »
    How are you feeling?

So so, Definitely better that what I was Monday, chest feeling better but it seems to be lingering on. :mad:

Very lethargic and groggy still but I'm back out easy running. Haven't been able for a session yet, but going to try some MP miles tonight and see how they go.

Hopefully another week will see the grogginess gone. The joys of worrying during taper! :rolleyes:

On the good side, legs are fresh as daisies, sub 7 mile last night when I was easy running, had to slow myself down.

So September was going well until the last week when it ended in a wimper, hopefully it won’t make the slightest bit of difference come 13th October at 10:30am CST ;)

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5
    September|24/31|197.3

Tuesday
    4 miles easy / 7:36 average pace

So after 5 days off the road pretty much I felt well enough for a small easy run on Tuesday, went to the doctor Monday, got antibiotics and said I could run in a couple of days if I felt like it. Couldn’t last until Wednesday :) Even if it was only 4 miles If felt great to be back out there although I was getting a bit hot and cold now and again, while still a bit groggy.

Not ideal weather to be out in this week when you are trying to recover from something but needs must. My glutes were tingling wondering what this running business was after taking so many days off when I usually run 6 days a week. Thought it was funny. Felt like when you use muscles you haven’t used for years.

Wednesday
    6 miles easy / 7:15 average pace
    :eek:

Ran this on the track with the club, in my plan I had scheduled my session for tonight but body wasn’t up for speed yet I reckoned so went for 6 miles easy instead in the drizzle and wnd. :rolleyes:
    Average pace is a bit off putting as it was on the track so reckon it is a bit off. But I was moving at a decent easy clip all the same.

The grogginess continued a bit on this one, this infection/ sickness is a beast to fully get rid of as I see Runchick with something similar. Good few people in work are sick too.

Thursday
    8.3 miles (incl. 6m @PMP) / 6:53 average pace

So I said it’s make or break at this stage, needed to get some MP into the legs or they will be heavy and clueless come race day.

Raining again! Found it tough now and again but it went off smoothly for the most part. I’m still not 100% but very close, definitely healthy enough to run taper miles, which is a lot less mileage that what I was doing up to now. Really hoping I get back to full health over the next few days.

Anyway the session went:
    1 mile easy
    6 miles @ MP (6:41, 6:36, 6:38, 6:36, 6:28, 6:35)
    1.3 miles easy

My plan for the MP pace miles was 2 @ 6:45, 2 @6:40 and 2 @ 6:35, second one was a bit fast but other than that happy enough with it!

Another easy day tomorrow with hopefully no ill effects from tonight! Got my race pick –up email today..well excited now!! Wooooaaaahhh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tick Tock :D

counter.gif

• Advertisement

Sweet Suffering Succotash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sweet Suffering Succotash!!

Friday
    3 miles recovery / 8:18 average pace

A very short run that I squeezed in after work before popping into the physio for my pre-marathon rub down. Met purceninho during the run and we managed to chat for a couple of minutes before we had to go our separate ways, hadn’t seen him since Athlone.

Saturday
    13 miles easy / 7:25 average pace

Had a pit-stop in Waterford on Saturday morning on the way to Cork and met up with Gavlor to get a tour de Waterford from him. ;) We ran the new HM route and the time absolutely flew by as we discussed race strategies for our upcoming dates with destiny.

As I missed my 18 miler the week before, I had to half test my marathon garments during this run, it was a bit chilly initially for a singlet so I just wore it underneath a t-shirt. No ill-effects so all good to go on that front.

The route itself is certainly no PB route with a tough hill in the middle of it but that said still a race I really recommend, a pure club run race and while I will be winding down come December I might still jog around it for the day out!

Really enjoyed the run for the change in scenery and the company and I didn’t envy Gavlor when he pushed on for MP miles. Not for me thanks!

Sunday
    6 miles session / (2 x 1600m) + (1x800m) + (1x400m)

So last session so to speak for this schedule, I had missed a planned 10km time trial while I was sick that was supposed to keep a bit of speed in the legs and to maintain good turnover but alas that never happened.

Instead I popped in this session yesterday just to get a bit of speed into the legs before race day but at the same time not have something too taxing.

Initially the plan was 3x 1600m but I changed it off the cuff when the weather took a turn (wind and rain) and I didn’t want to be getting a cold back!

1.2 miles easy
    2 x 1600m with 3min recovery (5:43, 5:55)
    1 x 800m with 90 sec recovery (2:52)
    1 x 400m (81)
    1 mile cool down

The first rep was done on a gravel path but then I decided to trek into the local GAA pitch in Belgooly to do the remainder as the alternative was reps against the strong wind.

Hence the second rep in the wet, clingy, longish grass was a tad slower. I then decided to bang out an 800 and then a 400, speeding up for each one as a sort of lash hurrah. Enjoyed them, didn't do them all out and a good end to the week.

Yesterday was the first day in about 2 weeks that I felt somewhat back to normal, really felt like I got hit by a lorry and that I would never get out of it. Looks like I’m out of it now and timed to perfection! :)

Anything interesting on next week? This training is getting a bit mundane now… ;)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|4m|6m|8.3m|3m|13m|6m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    40.3m|40.3m|1727.4m

Anything interesting on next this week?

Whoops! :eek: :D

Race week baby!!! :D I have been waiting some time for this.
    Thankfully I'm all recovered from my chest infection and raring to go! Close call!

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:53 average pace

Hardly worth logging these runs as there is not much to report, took it handy as I was wearing runners with 800 miles in them, they are going to be defunct after Thursday.

Pair I'm going to run the marathon in have 300 miles in them and will make serious purchases over. I reckon I'm going to have enough new runners coming home from the states to be able to stock Amphibian King! :D

Weigh in this morning was 69kg, lighter than I was for Rotterdam, If I can keep that on race day I'd be delighted although I expect to put on a small bit before then.

3 more runs before showtime! :cool: It's like Christmas week...

Wednesday
    6.5 miles easy (incl. 2m @ PMP) / 7:01 average pace

Down to the track tonight for one last "session". Imagining niggles all week which are of course not there at all, a different place every few hours I get worried about, I've been up and down both legs twice at this stage..:rolleyes:

The plan tonight was 4 miles easy, 2 miles at MP, 1 miles easy.

I didn't look at the watch until the fourth mile as I done laps at an easy pace, I suspect the pace is a bit off due to the Garmin not liking the curve of the track etc. but....

4 miles easy (7:54, 6:58, 6:52, 6:52) :eek:

On the fourth mile I glanced at it and thought it must be bloody wrong, feels to handy for that pace...

2 miles @ MP (6:36, 6:40)
    0.5 miles cool down.

I think I'm ready....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Writing out various pacing split options this morning. What's it going to be for you?

Weather forecast getting better by the day!

Peckham wrote: »
    What's it going to be for you?

It's gonna be sub 3 for me! ;)

Will PM you my planned splits there in a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Time to right those wrongs, young man! Very best of luck in Chicago. This time, it's for real. It's gonna be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good luck hope you get the time you deserve and most importantly enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Time to right those wrongs, young man! Very best of luck in Chicago. This time, it's for real. It's gonna be great.

Thanks Krusty! Time to banish those demons for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The very best of luck to you J! The hard work is done and your preparations have been excellent. You even managed to time your taper sickness correctly. ;)

Enjoy the post race beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

OMG the good luck messages have started ..... must be getting close now :D:D

Best of luck J - you know you can do it. Just bring it home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think your plan b as discussed last week (sub 2.45) is the way to go.

Also, don't forget the fake ID as 21 is the legal drinking age across the pond ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck J, will have fingers crossed for you. There is no fear whatsoever for you, your training this past 6 months has been incredible and you bounced back so well from the Rotterdam drama.

Just go out and enjoy it, you deserve it after all your hard work. And enjoy the weeks holidays after it... dead jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great race and a successful simianectomy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Best of luck to you man and also your coach, Big Logger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck Blockic - hope it all goes to plan and you have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck Blockic, I've no doubt you will smash it :D Looking forward to the race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have a great run and enjoy the trip.

Advertisement