Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Epic stuff :D Well done. Even had the tears in my eyes normally reserved for Marthastew's reports ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

settled in with a cup of tea to read that, super report, there's a lot people can take from it for their own strategies, for fair play for going into such detail. Yours is certainly a *must follow* log. I've admired Ciaran's hair for a while now.....his current twitter profiler cut is outrageous, ha.

You've got plenty of time on your side to improve further over the years - the progress to date has been mental. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

+1 on the cuppa tea Statts, when I saw the report was up I boiled the kettle :) Excellent report Blockic, really enjoyed reading that. What an unbelievable achievement for anyone to go sub 3, never mind someone who only did their first last yr, unreal! I hope your very proud of yourself and enjoying the glory, no doubt there's plenty of more inspirational stuff to come. Delighted for you and looking forward to meeting you at DCM, think ill re read that report Mon morn to motivate myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sticking in an early nomination for race report of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Amazing report and a thouraghly well deserved PB.
    I know I said I wouldn't do anymore back slapping, but you deserve it.

Fecker.

See you Monday in McG's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good man, sensible racing!

Sub 3 was never in doubt it was only a question of by how much. I fully expect sub 2.50 in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well deserved young man

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Great report, thoroughly enjoyed it. So what's your goal for DCM? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Blockic - delighted that you got the sub 3. Fantastic report too..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr Stew and I were over the moon when we saw you got your sub 3, a truly inspirational result and very, very well deserved. And a race report to match that fantastic result, well done J. We'll celebrate on Sunday evening;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Now that was worth waiting for! Amazing stuff, very inspirational...the sky's the limit with your talent for this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sounds like you really enjoyed that one and well deserved too.

I hope you saved some of your post marathon celebrating for Monday.

I might even buy you a pint ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great report and time. Plenty more to come from you no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Fantastic report n what an amazing achievement especially since less than 12 months from your 1st marathon . U did right to celebrate in style , u certainly deserve it. Well done again , u are an inspiration n thanks for taking the time to post such an amazing account of the day. Here's to many more inevitable successes n PBs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great report J.. You included so many things in there that I'd completely forgotten, or failed to even notice properly during the race and the weekend. You really did soak it all up, and so you should have. Looking forward to renewing our friendship/rivalry in many future races, I've a suspicion you'll be swinging the balance back in your favour in the coming months and years. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great read. And well run, sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Now THAT'S a marathon report. :D

Delighted for you J - and especially that seem to have really valued the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done on the PB blockic, I'll get round to reading that novel report on my next week off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Congrats on the PB, that's inspiring stuff!

Didn't believe you'd only run your first marathon last year, had to go back to the first page and check! ;) (Some progress you've been making too) Have seen plenty of your posts around the place but always presumed you'd been running for years!

Amazing achievement, well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB blockic, I'll get round to reading that novel report on my next week off work!

By contrast, an 800 metre race report:

First 400 metres was really good, felt like I could run for 600 metres at this pace. In the last 150 metres, I felt like I was going to die, but then it was over.

You're just jealous PConn062. Take your negativity and your unnaturally slow reading ability elsewhere. The marathon is for real men without compression sleeves... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic performance , delighted for ya. Enjoyed the report, fair play for remembering all of the detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Out of interest, did it take longer than 2:58 to write it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

By contrast, an 800 metre race report:

First 400 metres was really good, felt like I could run for 600 metres at this pace. In the last 150 metres, I felt like I was going to die, but then it was over.

You're just jealous PConn062. Take your negativity and your unnaturally slow reading ability elsewhere. The marathon is for real men without compression sleeves... :D

What negativity? All that jogging sure has made you cranky. We'll see who the real man is in Dunboyne on Sunday, you'll never live down the day you were beaten by the lad in the compression socks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Out of interest, did it take longer than 2:58 to write it up?

Haha, had to think about that one as it was on and off!....I reckon close but not quite....

Possibly took as long as my next marathon target! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

That was a really interesting read and I can imagine the rush you got when you crossed the finish line, very emotional altogether.
    Looking forward to reading about more success in the future.

I was just thinking there about a similar episode I had of being pulled into a room at an airport in England. Turns out I had a Leatherman in my hand luggage, had it with me from a course I was coming back from.
    Its not a pleasant experience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Brilliant run and brilliant report, had hairs on back of my neck reading it, well done

So back to reality! For a couple of days anyway before another go! :D The week after Chicago there was no running, zilch, zip, nada! Great to have time off, didn’t know myself will all the hours in the day :P Myself, belcarra and DukeofDromada treated ourselves to serious Chicago Deep Dish pizza the day after the marathon, seriously tasty and filling. Was good at the time but one gets sick of the American food fairly soon if you keep eating out!

I spend a few days in Michigan mid-week and then went back to Chicago for the weekend where to holiday ended with a bang!

Some nice craft beers tasted too, have relatives in Michigan and they said it is really taking off there!

They included (recording here for Krusty purposes! ;) ):

Short’s Soft Parade – A posh and tastier Kopparberg
    Bell’s Oarsman Ale – Smooth with a nice crisp finish
    Goose Island 312 Ale – Solid beer of the Chicago Marathon that was a regular choice throughout the week
    Two Brothers Bitter End Pale Ale – Seriously tasty!
    Sam Adams Octoberfest – Like 312 another solid beer like 312 that was the fall back option all week.

The weekend in Chicago all I remember is Long Island cocktails and it didn’t end well. I was a broken man on the flight home and this week as a result has been a cleansing week with all healthy stuff! Anyway back to the running!

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 8:00 average pace

First run since the marathon and back in Kilkenny, legs still tired obviously but it went well enough. Garmin died after a mile so was guess work after that which was probably a good thing. Have to get used to running in the dark again! Evenings have come way in the last 2 weeks since I went away.

Wednesday
    3 miles recovery / 8:36 average pace

Went over to the club to wish them all the best in the marathon and done 12 laps at a very light jog, just to get the blood flowing muscles. Legs came on plenty after it and then home for Epsom salt bath and foam rolling. Getting plenty of this in this week to increase recovery!!

Friday
    7.5 miles easy / 8:12 average pace

More action in the legs now. Plan for this was to run 6 miles at PPMP (Pacer PMP) which is 8min miles. Went well and felt comfortable, however miscalculated the distance and ended up a mile and a half away from home when I finished the 6 miles so I shuffled home.

Nothing today Saturday and off to Dublin in the morning to man the pacer stand in the Expo in the morning before an easy jog and then a pacer evening! Looking forward to it now! Loved the marathon last year and can’t wait to experience it again!!

See some of you tomorrow/Monday! :)

Better bring this log back to life!

Sunday 27th
    2.6 miles recovery / 8:42 average pace

Had a great morning at the Marathon Expo on the Pacer stand before getting out for a small jog around the start area of the marathon to loosen out the legs for the following morning.

Legs felt fine but would have to do 10 times as much the following day!

Evening was finished off nicely with a traditional pacer gathering and the water was flowing!

Wrote my DCM report but lost it in the depths of my computer! :mad: So that's my night sorted and should get this log up to date over the next day or so!

Last Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|6m|3m|Rest|7.5m|Rest|2.6m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    19.1m|106.3m|1793.4m

Monday 28th October

Airtricity Dublin Marathon

3:30 Pacer

Chip Time: 3:29:25

(Lost the first version so this is the short one! :))

Well I just love the Dublin Marathon! I was really looking forward to this the last couple of weeks and to pacing my first full marathon while taking in the great sights of Dublin.

Had the pleasure of pacing the 3:30 band with Killerz and ray lanigan so we got to know each other on the morning of the race at the hotel reception before trotting over to the start line. Great bunch of lads and it was a pleasure to pace with them.

Monday was the day when things went full circle, last year I ran with the 3:30 pacers and struggled over the last 5 miles to just about finish in 3:29:20, 12 months on I was the pacer in the very same group! I’d call that a successful year!

We got into place pretty early so that the pacees could line up behind and it was here that I bumped into DOCO12 first and then an absolute load of boardies! I could hardly keep up but it was great to meet so many new faces that I have known on here for a good while. Gavlor also popped his head in to announce to the runners that he couldn’t believe that they would trust a guy with gloves! He told me later that evening that he stuffed his own gloves in his pockets before he came over the scut! :D

I was aware that I was cutting it a bit tight it terms of recovery from Chicago, thinking it was probably a week short from full recovery and this probably turned out to be true.

Soon we were off and we settled into pace fairly quickly. Met overpronator briefly after the second mile as we headed up the northside. It’s funny how the miles absolutely fly by in a marathon, the miles in an LSR wouldn’t go half as fast! Soon we were in the park and I got a great shout out from my novice mentor Younganne! I was just after this that I realised that our 3:30 group was absolutely massive, much bigger than what I remember last year when I was racing in it! Stopped off at mile 7 to empty the tank before we exited the park and when I returned I was about 150m behind the other lads but still on target so I kept this gap for a few miles to spread the group a bit. Crowd was electric by Donore Harriers when we exited the park, it was like arriving into an amphitheatre!

Lost the plot for a couple of seconds and let out some unpleasentaries when we crossed the Liffey and I saw a runner throw a bottle full pelt into the river! Fortunately for the runner I didn’t see who it was. I soon realised where I was though with hundreds around so I composed myself again, really wound me up though!

A great shot can be seen here of the 3:30 group going down South Circular from this album which has some great shots that really sum up the spirit of the day!

10539350634_258e955112.jpg

Crossed halfway in 1:44:40 and right on target at this point I had caught back up to the Killerz and ray and was now the middle pacer.

At about mile 16 my legs informed me that I raced a marathon two weeks previous :D and were starting to ache, no issue in keeping the pace but I would have to use an extra gear I wouldn’t normally have needed for the rest of the race. To be expected I guess!

Got a great shout out from Killian Byrne around here where he was giving out jellies (fair play) and soon after bumped into Bulmers74 who was looking strong and ended up running a great debut marathon!

Soon we were upon Roebuck and this is where mad man blockic was let loose! :pac: I tore up the hill encouraging the runners on one side and egging on the crowd on the other. The Wall of Support was an excellent addition to the route and fair play to the organisers for the great idea. Really hope they keep that for next year. The mad man pretty much continued from here to the finish trying to get the crowd going as much as possible to keep the spirits of the runners up and the responded in abundance! All three of us were getting involved.

After we crossed the UCD Flyover the group for the first time started to spread slightly resulting in a bit more room, we had 20 seconds to play with so we eased off slightly here to get as many as possible back into the group while the string runners kicked on.

I said in a previous thread that I have yet to see the last 2 miles in Dublin beaten in terms of atmosphere (albeit in the limited experience I have had!), it’s just magical. It was as good if not better than last year and it had a real Tour de France feel to it as you rounded Trinity and entered Nassau street, epic stuff.

Most of the pacees had kicked on at this stage and as we eased off on the final straight an abundance more went past.

Crossed the finish in 3:29:25, job done and 5 seconds slower than last year for my slowest marathon finish! :D (had to put finish in there ;))

Was great to meet so many other boardsies along the way but I can’t remember at what points, ye know who ye are as there are too many to name!

Also was great to have some runners stay with us from start to finish including one lady who I had finished with in the Athlone ¾ marathon last year, the running world really is very small and a close knit community!

Zipped back to the hotel to check on the results of claralara and Gavlor (was actually the first thing I did!), an amazing performance from CL that I still can’t quite grasp. I was delighted for her.

At the same time I was desperately disappointed for Gavlor and it just shows how much of a fine line it really is. When you do everything right yet it doesn’t work out for you on the day due to one tiny piece of the jigsaw. I’ve been there and you’ll burn up London!

There was some great runs from by fellow clubmates too so it was a good day for us!

CL’s result in the meantime has me more motivated than ever now to blow her out of the water next year! ;)

After a quick shower, I headed to McGrattans where the drinks flowed well into the evening! Was nice to catch up with the regulars again and in particular meeting Runchick, murph77 and the famous RQ for the first time!

An absolute great day out and a big thanks to all the organisers, volunteers and spectators as without them there would not be a marathon! Hopefully I’ll be in a position to run Dublin again next year! But just maybe not having raced a marathon 2 weeks before!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice way to top off a great year. You're very lucky that you have time on your side, the blockic/CL/krusty/trr/ku etc etc battle is going to be epic over the next 12 months and beyond!!!

Advertisement