Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great report blockic, pacers do not get enough credit really for the job they do. Only seen CL's time there this evening, interesting times ahead in the racing stakes on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

From talking to you on Monday I thought you had it tougher than you obviously did.
    Legs tired from 16 miles? that happens no matter what pace you are going, a Mara will always take it out of your legs a bit. I was getting the old fatigue signs at 10 and the full on cramps from 20 on :D. I wasn't able to shout the last 3 miles because I got a cramp in my jaw at 23 and couldn't open my mouth :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Great report blockic, pacers do not get enough credit really for the job they do. Only seen CL's time there this evening, interesting times ahead in the racing stakes on Boards.

Don't let TRR see that! ;) Pace is a breeze really (so it should be), just keeping the spirits and motivation up is the main thing!

There should be a boards only race organised ! That would be interesting!!

Great to see you back around, just saw your post over, sorry about the setback..hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel now for you! No doubt will catch up with you again soon!

menoscemo wrote: »
    From talking to you on Monday I thought you had it tougher than you obviously did.
    Legs tired from 16 miles? that happens no matter what pace you are going, a Mara will always take it out of your legs a bit. I was getting the old fatigue signs at 10 and the full on cramps from 20 on :D. I wasn't able to shout the last 3 miles because I got a cramp in my jaw at 23 and couldn't open my mouth :P

Ah I had it tough enough alright, My short term memory is bad so I have probably blocked out the pain/wrecked memories at this stage, resulting in a easier than reality race report! :)

Should have been more comfortable than it was lets say. It was more effort than my Cork 3:12 in June as I had fresh legs on that one!

Edit: Your jaw was working fine in McGrattans afterwards! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Ah I had it tough enough alright, My short term memory is bad so I have probably blocked out the pain/wrecked memories at this stage, resulting in a easier than reality race report! :)

Should have been more comfortable than it was lets say. It was more effort than my Cork 3:12 in June as I had fresh legs on that one!

Edit: Your jaw was working fine in McGrattans afterwards! :pac:

I got a good dose of salt into me in Burger King :p

I can understand the fatigue thing for sure. The pacing thing means the pace (i.e. HR) is handy but 3:30 on the legs is a lot of pounding. Nice to be able to pick it up a bit like you did in Cork, but when pacing you have no choice but to keep it steady. I only got rid of the leg cramps when I picked up the pace after 23 miles to catch back up with the other lads, seems like a change of pace freshened things up!!

• Advertisement

Thursday
    2.5 miles recovery / 9:03 average pace

Took a couple of days off as the legs are in an absolute jock from the accumulative fatigue of the marathons! The 2.5 mile shuffle on Thursday though brought them on no end! Was out for 22mins! How did I go out for hours all summer! :D

Saturday
    3 miles recovery / 8:24 average pace

Bought spikes during the week as I am making my XC debut tomorrow! :D. The County Novice is on on in the morning and being honest the legs are not 100% but it’s a big race for the club (lives for XC) and I could be up at the business end of things so I’m going to start anyway. If I feel anything or if it’s not right I’m going to back off.

Went out on a small jog and a couple of strides with my new spikes tonight and man it’s a totally different ball game with the lack of support in the legs! I can tell tomorrow will be interesting to say the least. But hopefully the team and I can come home with some county medals!....preferably gold! :cool:

October is up and my second lightest mileage of the year due to taper, resting between marathons and drinking! But a nice 14 min marathon PB signals a good month! :D Mileage is going to wind down a bit from now to year end and will probably stay in around the 150 mark.

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5
    September|24/31|197.3
    October|18/31|135.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Brilliant way to bookend a savage year by pacing DCM, fair play. Was great to have a quick hello on Monday, think you definitely deserve a wee bit of wind down now til years end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Your county novice is very late in the year, most counties are having their senior race tomorrow. Good luck with the race, cross country racing is the best type of racing IMO, just hold yourself back for the first lap at least!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Your county novice is very late in the year, most counties are having their senior race tomorrow. Good luck with the race, cross country racing is the best type of racing IMO, just hold yourself back for the first lap at least!

Cheers pconn, yesh it's late alright, our senior is 22nd December! :eek:

blockic wrote: »
    Cheers pconn, yesh it's late alright, our senior is 22nd December! :eek:

That's just mean! :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 3rd November

Kilkenny County Novice XC
    Kilmacow, Co. Kilkenny

1st place individual
    1st place team

Novice County Champion! :D

A great day for the club today in Kilmacow where we brought home The Smithwick Novice Cup!

As it was my first venture into the XC scene I was not quite sure what to expect. Done a couple of laps warm up and noticed a big drop and steep uphill sections of the course which I knew would be painful towards the end of the race!

We had a great team and I was confident of at least placing before the start. We lined up and within seconds we were off, no messing about around here!

It was 6 laps of the course which looked to be shortened so I reckon the total distance was about 4.5km. From the off I settled into the top 4 leaving the lads ahead dictate the pace while I settled in. Coming towards the end of the second lap a couple were easing off so I made the move into second and maintained a gap of about 20 yards on the leader, be patient I told myself, too early to make the move yet. I purposely didn’t wear the Garmin as this would be racing, not clock watching, TRR style! ;)

Maintained 2nd place for the third lap and I still had company from behind but I noticed that the leader was struggling on the steep uphill section which is just before the end of the lap as I gained some yards on him here. Maintained the distance on the 4th lap as the person behind faded, It was me and the leader now...on the uphill with just over 2 laps to go I caught him and we stayed level for about 100 metres before I broke him...2 laps to go now, leading the race...I felt I had gone a tad early but kept motoring away...The downhill slope had a sharp right and the bottom and it was a killer on the legs but I kept powering through...competition was about 20 yards behind now, up the hill on the fifth lap I gained more distance between us so I only had to bring it home now, but I was suffering, the XC really takes it out on the legs even though it’s a short race.

The club member ‘s supporting on the side were great and on the last lap they told me I had a gap so I gave it everything on the last hill and finished first across the line in 16:38 for the first time in my running life! Felt great! Took me a while to catch my breath then after the excitement was over, bloody short races kill ya! :D

So I felt I ran the race to perfection and probably the best tactical race I have ran. Really satisfied with it from this aspect. Planning it and executing the plan accordingly. In terms of XC I loved it and hated it at the same time! :D Really is a different experience altogether to road running but I enjoyed it and looking forward to the Senior in December! I loved the competiveness of it and being up at the business end of the field, somewhere I hope to be more often in the future.Might do the National Novice, I’ll see but won’t be anywhere near the top on that one!

The club team also performed fantastic with 1,5,7,9 placings to take the team competition too and I had the honour to collect the team cup afterwards. It was only then that I really took in the history of it. The Smithwick Cup was presented to Kilkenny Co. Board by the Smithwick family in the 50’s and has been used ever since, 60 years of winners with some great names on it such as Brian Maher and Eoin Everard in recent times. Great History there and it’s now sitting snugly on my table for a few weeks!

10652958815_b32a91b9e8.jpg

A great days work all in all, taking a few days off now to really recharge the batteries after a long year of training before I start into my winter schedule!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    26.6m|Rest|Rest|2.5m|Rest|3m|4m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    36.1m|7m|1829.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Huge congrats !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Huge congrats !!!

Second that! Well done, J. Is there no end to all this glory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice chairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You forgot to put the clock back ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nice chairs
    You forgot to put the clock back ;)

Thanks, make hay while the sun shines I guess! No more glory for a while now.

Haha, chairs are decent alright and that clock has been at 19:50 for about 2 years! Too lazy to change the battery! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great run- congrats champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Another great showing. The first of many business end performances one would suspect.

Well done on the win!

4.5k for a novice race?? I think I'll move to Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great running J.. Congratulations. A great day for the Jeptoo family.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well done on the win!

4.5k for a novice race?? I think I'll move to Kilkenny!

Supposed to be 6k and setting off I thought that was what it was. Looked at my stop watch when I finished and saw 16:38...i was like no way I ran 6k in sub 17! :D Think they had to shorten the lap for some reason.
    Great running J.. Congratulations. A great day for the Jeptoo family.

:D... good one! How the legs recovering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Not a bother blocky, I'm definitely recovered fully now. Decent long tempo during the week and a good race today. All marathon-related pains are well and truly gone. Fair play to ye today, fantastic finish to what's been a memorable year for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Brilliant stuff, bonus points for tying your shoes priority properly, unlike some around here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fed up saying it, but once more, superb stuff J very very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Woohoo - well done you :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's superb - I'd say this ranks high on your never ending list of achievements.
    Many congrats - a great way to top off a great year (& its not over yet!!)

Glad you're taking a break, maybe more than a few days now, you hear!

From the Kilkenny T&F and the XC this year I now have 3 golds and a bronze! A bad omen!! :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

That was a really good run today, well done. I thought you were going to get dropped totally on the 3rd lap. The senior will be a very competitive race but if the form is good going into the intermediates you'll have a great chance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done Blockic - fantastic stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Very impressive few weeks - especially considering the amount of beer consumed along the way :cool: ;)

Advertisement