Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done block. Congrats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Good man Blocky super going, the first of many wins no doubt :D Enjoy your well earned rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

What shoes you wear today? Spikes, trail, or 'normal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

What shoes you wear today? Spikes, trail, or 'normal'?

Bought Asics Hyper XC spikes duing the week, last pair up in RunWorx and just happened to fit me. They had nothing in my size in AK.

They said it's very hard to get XC spikes in stock this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Do you think you would have been able to hold claralara off today blocky :pac: yes I am an asshole

TRR wrote: »
    Do you think you would have been able to hold claralara off today blocky :pac: yes I am an asshole

Jingle Bell 5k...sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Congrats Blockic, that's another great achievement, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thrilled for you J, you're definitely turning this year around, that's a fantastic result, congrats from Mr S and I

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Congrats blockic, fantastic stuff! I did 5k XC race yesterday too, was totally awful, muck to the back of the neck n really hilly, I was a lot slower than I hoped but finished it upright anyway, team got silver however I was 7th team member home so no medal , last 1 next Sunday n I can assure u it will b awhile till I have the spikes on again. Well done again u've had an amazing year, delighted for u!

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    6 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

Was taking this week off entirely but said that one run wouldn't do any harm as was due to met up with purceninho for an easy jog as we caught up since my Chicago and his Dublin exploits where he ran an excellent 2:53.

Run was grand but at the end it felt like a tempo! Another few days off in order.

Down home this weekend and I noticed last week that Cork Athletics opened the first dedicated cross-country facility just a mile up the road from my home place. The Cork Senior XC was on there at the weekend. If I'm not doing anything on Sunday I might pop up there for a look and do a couple of sneaky laps! ;)

Sunday
    3 miles steady XC / 7:16 average pace

Lashing all day here in Cork but decided to pop up to where the Cork Senior XC was on last weekend to do a couple of laps to scope it out.

Soft was an understatement as the rain was pelting down, actually enjoyed the run and finished up wet and mucky but liberated.

It's a nice course and I'll be using it for my training over the next few weeks as I prepare for the Kilkenny Intermediates in the new year.

It finished up a tough week and I'm delighted with it. :pac:

9 miles and plenty eating, drinking and watching TV. Wednesday will see my return on the track and I'll start building up again.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|6m|Rest|Rest|Rest|3m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    9m|16m|1838.5m

Wednesday
    5 miles easy / 7:27 average pace

Quiet week this week for me on the running front, had planned to get back to track sessions on Wednesday but didn’t get an easy run in on Tuesday so I thought best not to go straight back into speedwork and go for an easy run instead on the Ring Road.

All was fine and pace felt slow… However the following day I felt pain on the ball of my foot so I stayed cautious for the rest of the week and rest it up.

Friday
    11.3 miles steady / 7:18 average pace

Done a test run of the Stook 10 route on Friday to make sure there were no lingering issues and that everything was marked accordingly. Struggled up Stook :) I hate it but love it at the same time! Really loved he final 2 miles and I had a feeling it would be enjoyed by many on the Sunday…

Foot still sore and could be felt along the way but I didn’t make it any worse that it was so a good sign.

The rest of my weekend was take up helping out ASIMONOV and co in the organisation of the Stook 10 race so didn’t get a chance to get out and run. It actually felt like I was working all weekend with long hours spent getting things ready Friday and Saturday and then the actual event on Sunday. The amount of work that goes into a race organisation is phenomenal and I won’t be taking races for granted in future! It’s going to be a long week ahead for me now after it but the feedback has been great and everyone seemed to have a great day so it makes it all worthwhile! Glad to see our ideas went down so well. Thanks to all the boardsies who made the (long) trip down to support our event!

Already have ideas on how to improve it again next year!
    Planning on getting my own running back on track now this week, hopefully the foot holds up.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Rest|Rest|5m|Rest|11.3m|Rest|Rest

16.3m|32.3m|1854.8m

Fair play Blocky, sounds like it was a really well organised event with great feedback. Just going to have to include it on next years list!

Monday
    5 miles easy / 7:34 average pace

Out for an easy 5 miles last Monday on the usual short route, foot still bothering me, specifically the bottom of the index toe (if that term even exists) Decided to take a few days off to leave it heal.

Saturday
    6 miles easy / 7:41 average pace

Another short run done down in Cork late this evening, lovely and peaceful running in the dark under the streetlights and silence in the streets...bliss. Unfortunatly I can still feel the toe but it's runnable on it with minimal discomfort. Has been there a week and a half now. The terms "stress" and "fracture" are beginning to swarm around in my thoughts...we'll give it another couple of days and see....all beacuse of an easy 5 miler last week, a very strange one.

Will play it day by day for the next while, really want to get out regularly again as the eagerness is there!

5k PB at the Jingle Bells in a couple of weeks looks to be slipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I had something that sounds similar to that for a week or so a few years ago, does it hurt when you walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you got it looked at?

I had the same sneaking suspicions last year in the build up up to Athenry and had convinced myself of the dreaded SF so I figured that rest was the best course of action but thankfully decided to get it looked at before getting an MRI and started getting it treated. I would have been back on my feet 10 days earlier had I got it looked at before coming to my own conclusions.

Your proximity to Star also means you have one of the worlds best therapists only a stones throw away.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I had something that sounds similar to that for a week or so a few years ago, does it hurt when you walk?

Hard to explain pconn, I can feel it there when I walk, but doesn't hurt if you know what I mean, more a discomfort..I can pin it to a certain point right where the toe meets the metatarsal. No bruising but looks ever so slightly swelled.

Going to get it checked soon if no improvement.

ecoli wrote: »
    Your proximity to Star also means you have one of the worlds best therapists only a stones throw away.

That is true, only around the corner! Yeah, I couldnt seem to justify a trip to the physio for a sore toe up to now :o, but if it keeps up I'll be going sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »
    That is true, only around the corner! Yeah, I couldnt seem to justify a trip to the physio for a sore toe up to now :o, but if it keeps up I'll be going sooner rather than later!

Sounds a strange spot for a stress fracture?
    I'd say Star would tell you to HTFU!!

Good weekend for the Gunners!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Sounds a strange spot for a stress fracture?
    I'd say Star would tell you to HTFU!!

Good weekend for the Gunners!

Ha, probably, Will give the foot a bashing for another few miles in the morning anyway.

Great week for them all right! My Spartans doing the business over Stateside too, A spurs and city draw now tomorrow and I'd be a very happy camper!

Are you scared to go?

;)

Are you scared to go?

;)

Sunday
    10.2 miles easy / 7:17 average pace

An extended loop of last night's run of the local town, ran the Carrigaline-Crosshaven walkway...sun shining all morning and when I went out it disappeared! :rolleyes: Still a nice crisp and fresh run. Ireland were 22-10 when I switched it on, within 30 seconds it was 22-15 and finished 24-22, maybe I should of left it off.

Foot a bit sore after the run, re-assess tomorrow.

Week Mileage Summary:

5m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|6m|10.2m

21.2m|53.5m|1876m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Look after that foot/toe, dont ruin your great year by ignoring an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you still planning on a few very easy weeks after waterford?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you still planning on a few very easy weeks after waterford?

All going to plan, I'll be doing a 5 week training block with the end target being the Ferrycarrig 5 on the start Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Blockic I could b totally off the mark but couple months ago I had an awful sore toe ( bottom of my big toe) I went to sports physio n straight away he told me it was prob coming from up along OUTSIDE ( front)of my lower leg, I thought no way! But I cudnt believe when he started to rub deep up my lower leg to the outside, it was pure agony to get rubbed out n I wasn't even aware it was tight/sore b4 he pressed on it n sure enuf that's what was causing the pain in my big toe! I was amazed n better still was able to rub out the other leg when toe on other foot became sore a week later. Apparently the muscle runs down outside lower leg n crosses over top of foot to big toe. U cud try rubbing deep up outside of your lower leg n see if any sore points. Hope it helps!

Tuesday
    5 miles easy / 7:34 average pace

Very boring run this one, the usual routine run where nothing happens. Tried to mix up the route a bit and made a nice change but there are only so many times you can run the ring road in Kilkenny!

Wednesday

9 miles club session / (4 x 8' @ 10KP)

Back on the track tonight and actually running instead of observing for once! First speedwork session in a long long time, reckon in about 4 months anyway but too lazy to look back.

Loved it but hated it at the same time, felt great to get some speed back into the legs.

1.5 miles warm up

4 x 8 minutes at 10K pace (5:50/ mile) with 90 seconds jog recovery

1.5 cool down

Was hitting 87 second laps for most of it in around 5:50 pace on the Garmin which was the target, can't take too much notice of the pace on the watch going around the track though. Felt it all on the 4th rep but kept the pace together. Pretty happy with it and I can work from this starting point now...apart from the elephant in the room.

No improvement in the niggle. booking in with physio tomorrow, hopefully can fit me in sooner rather than later.:)

• Advertisement

So an injury update, went to physio this afternoon. Out between 2-4 weeks so bye bye to Waterford Half, Jingle Bells and 2000 miles. Better to get it now and sort it I guess rather than in the peak of my training schedule next year. Still a bit of a bummer though. :(

Issue has to do with my gait and over-pronation putting strain on the metatarsal tendons on my second toe. Bone has always been a bit out of line so tends to twist while running resulting in the discomfort. Always had a feeling that this would pop up at some point as the bone structure in my foot is a mess! :eek: Back in next week. Orthotics mentioned as a must due to my arches the way they are but I’m a bit sceptical on those. I’ll have to think about it.

Funny that my injury that I get in the calf now and again all this year is actually the same tendon that runs down to each toe. I forgot to mention this when I was in there but will next week. Reckon it’s all related.

Guess I’m just going to have to concentrate on the pints now!

Advertisement