Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

docjewel wrote: »
    Best of luck with the P&D plan blockic,you've started off the New Year well.
    With your speed P&D is really gonna stand to you.

Thanks docjewel. P&D is my bible at the moment so we will see how we go!

Monday
    Rest

Was supposed to go to Core Strenthening class Monday night but something came up in work so had to cancel. Will hopefully make in next Monday.

Tuesday
    10 miles easy / 8:06 average pace

After a horrid day at work I was in no mind for this. I was stressed, wrecked and about a thousand other things summed up as being tired and emotional!:rolleyes: Dragged my ass of the couch anyway and set out for the 10 miler even though the thought of it was enough for me. About a mile in I said I'd stop at 4, I struggled to 4 and then said i'd do 6 and once I got there I said I might as well finish it! The 1000 mile challenge, the 2013 planner on the bedroom wall and the fact that career_move done 10 miles all got me through it. Competitive much? :D Delighted it was done and it should never be spoken of again.:)

Wednesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:55 average pace

Freezing again tonight!:eek: What happened to these nice mild running evenings!:mad:

Nothing exciting here, felt much better than last night and went at a very slow pace in prep for a lactate threshold run tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I dont know whats more impressive, that you done the 10 miles or that you have a 2013 planner on your bedroom wall??

I dont know whats more impressive, that you done the 10 miles or that you have a 2013 planner on your bedroom wall??

:D:D

If the distance is on the wall, the distance has to be done!:D It's motivation when I wake every morning. With April 14th highlighted to the max!:)

I got a picture of career_move as well and I use it as a dartboard.:pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ha ha. You're suffering from extreme paranoia dude ...... you must be having nightmares about getting chicked

• Advertisement

you must be having nightmares about getting chicked

At the rate you are going...Big Time! :)

I'm jealous of your ability to run 273620329 consecutive days!:pac:

Thursday
    8 miles LTR / 7:16 average pace (incl. 4 miles @ LT)

Was looking forward to this today at it was a lactate threshold run (LTR) so was getting a bit of speed in the legs. My lactate threshold pace is looking between 6:30 - 6:40 so I said I'd aim for the upper limit tonight of 6:30.

Session went:

3 miles easy
    4 miles @LT (6:31, 6:30, 6:30, 6:30)
    1 mile warm down

Last two LT miles were tough but happy with the session.

A nice day of rest now tomorrow!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Not in career_move 's or my vocabulary that phrase!!

Great LT miles, with no recovery, I'm sure that was tough. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thursday
    8 miles LTR / 7:16 average pace (incl. 4 miles @ LT)

Was looking forward to this today at it was a lactate threshold run (LTR) so was getting a bit of speed in the legs. My lactate threshold pace is looking between 6:30 - 6:40 so I said I'd aim for the upper limit tonight of 6:30.

Session went:

3 miles easy
    4 miles @LT (6:31, 6:30, 6:30, 6:30)
    1 mile warm down

Last two LT miles were tough but happy with the session.

Great running there blockic!
    Just be sure you don't go too fast on those runs or you'll lose most of the training effect. Remember it's better to go further than faster with LT but you probably already know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great running lad.

I think I might need to do more extra curricular study since I haven't a notion what lactate threshold means but right now I know it means quite fast when compared to me.

tang1 wrote: »
    Not in career_move 's or my vocabulary that phrase!!

Hey, a day of rest is, at times, as important as a training run!

In moderation of course!:cool:

belcarra wrote: »
    Great running there blockic!
    Just be sure you don't go too fast on those runs or you'll lose most of the training effect. Remember it's better to go further than faster with LT but you probably already know that!

Thanks belcarra, yeah I think 6:30 was a bit hot last night, I might ease off closer to 6:40 for my next LT run and see how I get on with that. All a learning curve. Keep the advise coming!:)
    guinang wrote: »
    Great running lad.

I think I might need to do more extra curricular study since I haven't a notion what lactate threshold means but right now I know it means quite fast when compared to me.

It's just a fancy word for tempo run really! But with thew sciency stuff behind it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks belcarra, yeah I think 6:30 was a bit hot last night, I might ease off closer to 6:40 for my next LT run and see how I get on with that. All a learning curve. Keep the advise coming!:)

Hey, I'm just trying to slow you down so you don't run too far ahead out of sight on me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't think there is a need to hold off at all. You HM time back in December was 1:27, 6:40 pace right? And you have improved since then....It should be somewhere between 10m and HM pace and they should feel very hard in training. Chances are you will be imroving all the time so you LT runs should get faster if anything.

tldr:, don't let Belcarra slow you down :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't think there is a need to hold off at all. You HM time back in December was 1:27, 6:40 pace right?

Pace was 6:45 in Waterford for a 1:28 i think so id be hoping my HMP is near enough to 6:40 now. It was tough alright, i'll keep bewteen the 6:30-6:40 and see how i feel as time goes on.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    tldr:, don't let Belcarra slow you down :p

Sure he only wants a running buddy in Rotterdam!;)

Friday
    Rest

Nothing exciting to report from Friday!

Saturday
    4 miles recovery / 8:52 average pace

A nice morning (11am) jog to get the blood flowing around home yesterday. Headed up to the local woods about a mile from my house for part of it also! Havnt been up there in years. Nice to incorporate a bit of trail running into the run.

Sunday
    15 miles LSR / 8:12 average pace

Headed to the popular Harty's Quay loop in Cork this morning, first time up this direction and I really enjoyed the route, will be up here more often for my LSRs I think. The loop brings you along the River Lee over the Tunnel and past Blackrock Castle and Village. Would be fantastic at sunrise or sunset. Might bring along the camera the next time.

To the run, I started off at 8:30 min/miles and finished in around 8 min/miles. Found it fine on the body and not too taxing which is good news. Tested my new SPI Belt for the first time today also and I love it!!biggrin.png You don't even know you are wearing it, would definitely recommend it for someone looking for a gel belt or a belt to hold Phone/Keys etc. The arm band I used to carry gels in DCM will be tossed out as a result!

Started testing the GU gels today too for the marathon as I'm sick of High 5. The gel went down well so it looks like a runner for Rotterdam. Will test it a few more times first though obviously!

All in all, a productive run and a good week, clocking up the miles nicely. Another ramp up now next week followed by a recover week (which includes Dungarvan 10 mile redface.png)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|10m|5m|8m|Rest|4m|15m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    42m|75.2m|75.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The water in Rtm is in cups and you need to take water with the GU gels - just something to think about. I'll be using isogels.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The water in Rtm is in cups and you need to take water with the GU gels - just something to think about. I'll be using isogels.

Good point actually BeepBeep. I might see how both of them go for me and decide which ones to go with closer to the time.

Cups are a pain in the arse!!

Started testing the GU gels today too for the marathon as I'm sick of High 5. The gel went down well so it looks like a runner for Rotterdam. Will test it a few more times first though obviously!

I was on Iso gels for my 1st Marathon, but changed to GU for the 2nd. I'll never use anything else - they are fantstic!

From my perspective, you dont really know how good a gel is until you've tested it after running 16-20 miles on a LSR, for me the GU was great, yes you need a little bit of water - but I looked fwd to taking it, as opposed to the Iso's or other gels, which I didn't look fwd too and found too sickly.

Anyway - I was busy all day so got no footie results..............how'd the gunners do today ;)

Alan

which I didn't look fwd too and found too sickly.

Anyway - I was busy all day so got no footie results..............how'd the gunners do today ;)

I was fine with the High 5s for a while cos I didnt know anything else. But now they feel exactly as above, just...blugh!! Have not had the Isogels yet though.

Anyway in terms of the gunners, they just like bringing their fans to hell and back! Used to it at this stage! :) I'll take top 4 now and run!!

• Advertisement

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility
    Class 5/6

Finally got back to this after the Christmas break and I could tell by the end of it that I had taken a few weeks off from it. Body was in agony! :eek: But in a good stretched kinda way! Going to do another 6 of these I think after this course as I’m finding it quite beneficial.

Tuesday
    8 miles easy / 7:53 average pace (incl. 8 X 100m strides)

Can’t remember much about this, I was out of work late so it was 8pm before I got going. Always like getting my runs done and out of the way before 8! I do remember the strides alright and it’s the first time I have done them properly. Nice way to get the speed and pace running form into the legs without too much effort and recovery required after.

Wednesday
    5.1 miles recovery / 8:40 average pace

Nice recovery run here taking it nice and easy around a flat route in Kilkenny town ;). Legs are feeling the effects of all these miles lately. They feel tired enough when I get up in the mornings. I really think 5 runs a week is my limit at the moment, I find less is more for me personally. This is constantly under review of course. Don’t know how people run every day of the week! Fair play to ye!:)

Thursday
    10 miles easy / 7:31 average pace (incl. 2m @HMP, 2m @10m pace)

Was sitting in work all day dreading this. The plan called for 10 miles easy but I hate these training slogs of 10 solid miles at a slow pace. I decided as Dungarvan is coming up next week I would add a couple of pace miles into this one just to see how I’m feeling. The second I decided this, my mindset completely changed and I was eager to get out and going after work. The psychology in this game is unreal!:rolleyes:

So planned pace miles in but at the same time I did not want to overdo it as I have a tough LSR coming up this weekend. In addition I won’t be putting these pace miles into the P&D plan every week either as the plan is a plan for a reason. But I said I would mix it up a bit this time round.

The run went:
    4 miles easy
    2 miles @HMP (6:36, 6:38)
    1 mile easy
    2 miles @10 mile pace (6:25, 6:26)
    1 mile warm down

Last two pace miles were a bit of a struggle as in addition to the lashing rain for the entire run, there was a strong gusty headwind for these miles. Looking back at the garmin after I was happy with the splits as the aim was 6:40 for HMP and 6:30 for 10 mile pace. On the last pace mile my right quad tightened up and I can still feel it tight now. I gave it a good (painful! :eek:) foam roll there but will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. I don’t want things like this cropping up now. Run was good though overall and the shower after was heaven after being soaked to the skin!:)

All these dark wet training runs better be worth it come April!!!

On another note, mammy is off to Australia in morning to see the brother. Wish I was going! :( Instead I have to run the house as the remaining household members are useless!!:rolleyes: Means lots of driving up and down the country and cooking for the next 3 weeks!

Instead I have to run the house

What pace does Daniels recommend for this? :p

Tried to come up with a witty response but my brain is incapable at this hour of the morning!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This is level 3 household training, it involves repeating yourself several times until exhaustion!

Friday
    Rest

Day of rest was spent working and driving. Exciting times. I have started focusing back on the foam rolling and stretching as the niggles are starting to come and go so the rolling has become part of the nightly routine now.

Saturday
    4 miles recovery / 8:39 average pace

Slow run along my usual recovery pace route yesterday morning. It was short, sweet and uneventful.

Sunday
    17 miles LSR / 7:48 average pace (incl. 10m @PMP)

Had to be back home early today so I hit the road at 9am which is a seldom occurrence for me! Took a new route and headed on an out and back route into Kinsale town which turned out not be an ideal route for a pace run. :rolleyes: It was a bit too undulating for a pace session and a couple of pace miles were effected as a result. But those miles that were slower had the same if not better effort than the rest so all and all I was happy enough. Target PMP pace is 7:20.

6 miles easy
    10 miles PMP (7:41, 7:15, 7:27, 7:17, 7:15, 7:31, 7:19, 7:19, 7:18, 7:18)
    1 mile cool down

Another big mileage week (for me anyway!) down, step back week next concluding with the Dungarvan 10 next Sunday. Hoping for sub 65 in this but not sure if I will hit this mark. Will wait and see!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|8m|5.1m|10m|Rest|4m|17m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    44.1m|119.3m|119.3m

Great mileage, and lovin' those hills.

Great mileage, and lovin' those hills.

Ha, I wasn't loving them at the time...and my legs are not loving them right now!:eek:

Great scenery though to distract me. Living in a place makes you take it for granted but after not going around that area for a while I got new love for the local town this morning! :D

Keep forgetting to bring the camera. Will make sure I do next time!

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 6/6

Found a really good glute stretch last night. They tend to be quite tight especially my left one so when I done this stretch it was heaven! :D(Really getting into this yoga lark! ;)) Going to do another 6 classes as it gets me up of my arse on a Monday night and I find it really good!

Tuesday
    9.3 miles LTR / 7:18 average pace (incl. 5m @ LT)

This really took it out of me tonight! It was a good workout but tough and this is supposed to be a P&D step back week!! :eek:

3 miles easy
    5 miles @LT (6:28, 6:31, 6:26, 6:30, 6:27)
    1 mile warm down

Was wrecked after so went and got takeaway! :o Ah, have to let loose every now and then, and it was a healthy one at that, pasta carbonara and garlic bread. But now I feel sick from eating too much!! Serves me right! :rolleyes:

Also weighed myself this morning for the craic, came in at 70.6kg. Nothing to compare this to as I never do it but might do a weekly weigh in to see how much it fluctuates for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

came in at 70.6kg.

Your 8 years younger than me, your condiderably faster than me, now you rub my face in it again by telling me your the weight of a wippet!! I hate you!

• Advertisement

So you're doing Pilates and weighing yourself.......hhmmmm

When you going for a skinny mocha frappe with Marthstew?

Advertisement