Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

A bit of a kick in the balls alright - but what a year you've had. :)

You can come back in January with a beer belly to work off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bad news there J but as beef says overall what a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

buddy, I kind of joked to you about this on the day but I do wonder if pacing DCM so close after Chicago exposed you to a higher chance of injury...could easily be unrelated but the thought did cross my mind so just trying to be helpful by pointing it out. nice break ahead now anyway an you'll be flying again come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

statss wrote: »
    buddy, I kind of joked to you about this on the day but I do wonder if pacing DCM so close after Chicago exposed you to a higher chance of injury...could easily be unrelated but the thought did cross my mind so just trying to be helpful by pointing it out. nice break ahead now anyway an you'll be flying again come January.

Cheers statss all feedback welcome and I see what you mean alright.

I thought about it but this injury looks to be a fundamental issue that I reckon would have popped up at some stage regardless...it's more of a stress build up over time I've been told of the way my foot impacts with the surface.

Probably a good time of year anyway to get it without missing out in too much activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

:(

Hard luck. The break will do you good though and 2 - 4 weeks is nothing. You won't even lose much fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bout time! Eh, I mean unlucky.

Make sure you take the appropriate time and don't use 2 weeks as a target

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hard luck with that......and just when I though I'd get a chance of beating you in a 5k :)

No, seriously - its the break you need. You'll be raring to go come Jan.

Gavlor wrote: »
    don't use 2 weeks as a target

You know J and his soft targets..............

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Hard luck Blockic - at least it will be sorted in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Tough break with the injury but as you said yourself not the worst time of year for it to occur and get it sorted. Hopefully it's a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Bad luck on the injury but not the worst time to be injured and you'll be back flying in January.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear J. Take the rehab as serious as you did the training and you will be back good as new in no time.

Definitely mention the calf injuries (although generally they will know as they probably aimed to look to the root cause of the injury as well as pain referral patterns http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/extensor-digitorum-and-hallucis-long.htm)

Cheers everyone, the 3 or 4 weeks will fly. I'll be tearing into the foam roller and will get on a bike from next week on.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Sorry to hear J. Take the rehab as serious as you did the training and you will be back good as new in no time.

Definitely mention the calf injuries (although generally they will know as they probably aimed to look to the root cause of the injury as well as pain referral patterns http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/extensor-digitorum-and-hallucis-long.htm)

Nice one L, this is the guy that was at me about 3 times this year.

http://www.triggerpoints.net/triggerpoints/flexr-digitorum-and-hallucis-long.htm

And the discomfort now is on the sole of the foot at the second toe. Definitely worth mentioning anyway, should have said it today but sure I was under pressure for answers while in there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hard luck in the Injury. Couple of box sets of Breaking Bad will make the time fly by and help recovery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

will get on a bike from next week on.

Spin next Saturday morning??????

Gavlor wrote: »
    Spin next Saturday morning??????

Sorry... priorities....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You ARE human after all!

But seriously, hope you recover soon and recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hard luck Blockic but the timing could be worse, looks like a great time to practice for the Beer Mile (except the running bit) ;)

So just some tidy up on the week and the month.Feels like an extra 2 hours in the day when you can't run! Baked brownies today instead of the long run. Suppose I better go eat them now! ;)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|5m|9m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    14m|67.5m|1890m

Very poor month in terms of runs and mileage between rest and then the injury. December won't be much better, Ending the year with a damp whimper!

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5
    September|24/31|197.3
    October|18/31|135.4
    November|10/30|67.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

So just some tidy up on the week and the month.Feels like an extra 2 hours in the day when you can't run! Baked brownies today instead of the long run. Suppose I better go eat them now! ;)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|5m|9m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    14m|67.5m|1890m

Very poor month in terms of runs and mileage between rest and then the injury. December won't be much better, Ending the year with a damp whimper!

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4
    August|27/31|250.5
    September|24/31|197.3
    October|18/31|135.4
    November|10/30|67.5

Wouldn't beat yourself up over that- you've had a great year and tbh the break is probably gonna help you in the long run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

You're most definitely not ending the year on a whimper! A fantastic comeback marathon AND a giant big huge trophy that's steeped in history:D:D
    And I'd echo what everyone else says... the break will do you the world of good although I know only too well from experience that it's hard to take a break, but I also know you'll be back stronger than ever. Besides, you've got time on your side;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear of your injury Blockic . But just to echo what everyone else is saying you've had one fantastic year and no running around Xmas might not be the worst timing . Plenty of other things to be doing :)

! Baked brownies today instead of the long run.

So between you & MS we'll be well fed after Jingle Bells ??

Although I think I like MS's buns better ;)

:pac:

Tuesday
    Gym and Core Work

Bike 20min
    Cross Trainer 20mins
    Core Work 20mins

So it has been 2 weeks since my last run and "the toe" is getting there.

While the injury will be sorted in the next week or so I would hope, the actual cause of the injury will not.

Jury still out on the orthotics and I've also been told I need to fundamentally change my Jeptoo run. While I knew it was not great all along I'm not sure what to think of this so I'm kind of in no man's land at the moment. That could be a couple of years process. :eek: I'll think about the orthotics but I can't really run many more miles without them apparently :confused:

I have been assigned a core routine for strengthening my glutes as they are very weak, this is partly the reason of my gait and the knee has no option but to move inwards slightly.

Went to the gym last night anyway to do some form of exercise as I'm cracking up. I haven't done much recently other than the core work as I have stressful stuff going on outside the running. Hoping this will be sorted this week.

Off I go now to the running form thread for a gander.

Also, Thanks to whoever nominated my log and race report on the awards, looks like my rambling is not a waste of time after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Chin up bud. Sounds odd that after so many miles & good success, such drastic change is required. I'm skeptical of the orthotics myself, because the good ones cost so much, but I also hear they work for some. Get on yer bike to keep the serotonin pumping anyway. It's just a little bump in a long road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Tuesday
    Gym and Core Work

Bike 20min
    Cross Trainer 20mins
    Core Work 20mins

So it has been 2 weeks since my last run and "the toe" is getting there.

While the injury will be sorted in the next week or so I would hope, the actual cause of the injury will not.

Jury still out on the orthotics and I've also been told I need to fundamentally change my Jeptoo run. While I knew it was not great all along I'm not sure what to think of this so I'm kind of in no man's land at the moment. That could be a couple of years process. :eek: I'll think about the orthotics but I can't really run many more miles without them apparently :confused:

I have been assigned a core routine for strengthening my glutes as they are very weak, this is partly the reason of my gait and the knee has no option but to move inwards slightly.

Went to the gym last night anyway to do some form of exercise as I'm cracking up. I haven't done much recently other than the core work as I have stressful stuff going on outside the running. Hoping this will be sorted this week.

Off I go now to the running form thread for a gander.

Also, Thanks to whoever nominated my log and race report on the awards, looks like my rambling is not a waste of time after all!

Block- couple things

1) I'd be a bit wary of "doomsday" predictions from physios etc.. It is entirely possible your injury was a combination of several different factors that may or may not include things like bad luck and/or pacing DCM@ 3:30 2 weeks after a marathon pb (essentially saying here that not all injuries can be simply put down to one factor)

2) My experience w/ injuries is that specific injury could never happen again, or it could be chronic as far as I can see from your log no way to tell if its chronic yet, right?

3) Orthotics ARE NOT the devils work- I said it to you before but they've save me a **** ton of injury grief over the last few years and imo have been worth every penny to me

4) I'd be super wary on anyone telling you that you need a couple of years to fundamentally change the way you run. Your progress so far has been exceptional. As far as I can tell this is just a small blip, injuries happen in running.

5) Agree w/ the advise about getting the seretonin pumping etc I go crazy, literally when I can't run. So I'd imagine any stuff you can do on the bike now would serve to help your perspective.

6) Don't eat carbs (oh wait wrong thread…) :eek:

drquirky wrote: »
    Block- couple things

1) I'd be a bit wary of "doomsday" predictions from physios etc.. It is entirely possible your injury was a combination of several different factors that may or may not include things like bad luck and/or pacing DCM@ 3:30 2 weeks after a marathon pb (essentially saying here that not all injuries can be simply put down to one factor)

2) My experience w/ injuries is that specific injury could never happen again, or it could be chronic as far as I can see from your log no way to tell if its chronic yet, right?

3) Orthotics ARE NOT the devils work- I said it to you before but they've save me a **** ton of injury grief over the last few years and imo have been worth every penny to me

4) I'd be super wary on anyone telling you that you need a couple of years to fundamentally change the way you run. Your progress so far has been exceptional. As far as I can tell this is just a small blip, injuries happen in running.

Thanks dr. quirky very informative and I agree with your above points for sure. In terms of orthotics will get second opinion (down my list at the moment) and if the feed back is similar I will look to get them.

If point 2 is happening often I can see the reason for point 4 but the fact that it has so far been a once off makes me think of just getting the orthotics (if second opinion also suggests them) and starting back slowly with them and then strengthen and slowly improve the efficiency in my form over time.

Happy Christmas to all who have followed my log and supported me throughout the year! Greatly appreciated! :)

Hoping to rectify this log over the next few days and give my summary of 2013...I may even get a run in before the year is out! :D But for now...more turkey sambos and mince pies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck with the run and for 2014 in general J.

• Advertisement

26th December 2013

Belgooly AC 4 Mile

Time: 27:06
    Average Pace: 6.44/mile
    Result: 110/722

So after exactly 4 weeks of no running I made a comeback of sorts on St.Stephens Day in my local 4 mile. The plan was to just jog around and get 4 miles under my belt and see how my foot reacted. There was a massive turnout and it was a nice crisp but icy morning. I almost hit the ditch twice driving over! :o

I love this race as it passes by my primary school and it brings back good memories. Also half the funds raised go towards the Bowel Cancer Fund at Cork University Hospital so a great cause. By 12 the route had thawed off and we were off. I took off very handy as I let all sorts pass me out. Talk about being tied to a leash! The first two miles were handy at about 7:25 pace and I was picking people off and foot was fine but maybe feeling a slight lack of support in the affected area.

By the third mile I was starting to get itchy feet and the sight of GAA jerseys, shorts and Wilson woolly socks ahead of me was driving me nuts so I decided to kick it up a notch and pass GAA heads out. :D

For the last mile I decided to let rip a bit for a strong finish to see what the after burners were like. The result was they were pretty solid but obviously not where I was a few weeks ago. All in all though I haven’t lost much. Crossed the line in 27:06 and about 90 seconds slower than last year! Before the injury I had targetted to be 2 minutes faster in the race this year but these things happen!

For the following 3 days though my body reacted as If I hadn’t run in 12 months! :D Legs were in bits and walking was a struggle with the aches and pains! It felt good though to get a bit of that feel back in the legs again as it had been a while!

I haven’t run since so that finishes off my total for the year.

Last Week Mileage Summary:

Week Total|Month to Date|Year Total 2013
    4m|4m|1894m

Year Summary

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1
    April|17/30|120.2
    May|20/31|151.8
    June|18/30|149.7
    July|26/31|220.4