Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Blitz......definitely the best way. Super show.

Up to date now....serious show is right!

Tuesday
    4 miles easy / 8:02 average pace

This run was half on grass and half on tarmac, felt fine.

Following morning the toe flared up again, havn't run since. Its not that I can't run, but would be just uncomfortable so no point until its fully sorted.

Can be felt on occasion by just walking or even when no pressure applied. just an annoying discomfort.

Running out for a while I suspect. Hitting the bike this week a bit (getting fat).

Also visiting physio and going to go down the orthotics route. My log may be quiet for the short term.

Also getting full set of tests on heart next monday after referral (asked for it more than being advised to get it) want to get it done before I head off so I dont have to do it over.

You never know, i might run again one day! :rolleyes:

Last Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|4m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    26m|39m|39m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Happy birthday young man, guess this service works - only €60 to ship you across the pond :pac:

12211085606_3a4675b403_o.jpg

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Happy birthday young man, guess this service works - only €60

Cheers Dom. Ha...Classic! A great bargain for whoever paid it. My suspicions are Gavlor or AMK!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Cheers Dom. Ha...Classic! A great bargain for whoever paid it. My suspicions are Gavlor or AMK!

Just saw this now, you can rule me out as I'm not on facebook. Boards.ie has all the make believe buddies I need!

• Advertisement

So time to put a bit of an update here for my own use more than anything...my viewing base is likely to have deteriorated drastically! :pac:

Have been a bit low key here recently as it's very difficult to read logs on here when you are injured! Utter frustration from not being able to do anything yourself!

Went to a physio on Tuesday 11/02/2014 after 3 weeks of no running. Recieved an in depth assessment and much happier with the diagnosis this time round. It does not appear to be a ligament at all but the bone structure of my right foot.

My big toe is slightly raised above the rest of the toes in general and on impact with the ground it results in the injured/sore area of the second toe taking all the impact, resulting it it getting sore from the constant pounding. The foot is usually supported in a tripod manner, big toe, small toe and heel..this is not the case here resulting in instability.

The left foot structure is much better so my right is just all over the place.

Getting an initial set of orthotics in the next couple of days to reduce the stress on the effected area. Hopefully this will lead to the road of recovery.

I could run twice a week for now on grass the physio said but I'm going to wait and build up real slow with them.

Note from physio for future reference:

1)Stretch calves regularly as very tight.

2)Foot is ridiculously rigid and big toe has limited movement resulting in it being reluctant to come down and support the foot.

3)Stretch big toe. Wierd I know, one would expect it to stretch 60 degrees back at the moment it is struggling to 40 degrees.

Note to self:

Get up off lazy ass and start doing serious core work as core is awful currently. Doing up a plan tonight and will stick to it 4 nights week, minimum. Focus on glutes, calves and general core.

Weight is heaviest in 2 years from doing nothing last few weeks, 72kg.

Going nuts (actually nuts!) from no excercise, start back doing something, ANYTHING! from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So time to put a bit of an update here for my own use more than anything...my viewing base is likely to have deteriorated drastically! :pac:

Have been a bit low key here recently as it's very difficult to read logs on here when you are injured! Utter frustration from not being able to do anything yourself!

Went to a physio on Tuesday 11/02/2014 after 3 weeks of no running. Recieved an in depth assessment and much happier with the diagnosis this time round. It does not appear to be a ligament at all but the bone structure of my right foot.

My big toe is slightly raised above the rest of the toes in general and on impact with the ground it results in the injured/sore area of the second toe taking all the impact, resulting it it getting sore from the constant pounding. The foot is usually supported in a tripod manner, big toe, small toe and heel..this is not the case here resulting in instability.

The left foot structure is much better so my right is just all over the place.

Getting an initial set of orthotics in the next couple of days to reduce the stress on the effected area. Hopefully this will lead to the road of recovery.

I could run twice a week for now on grass the physio said but I'm going to wait and build up real slow with them.

Note from physio for future reference:

1)Stretch calves regularly as very tight.

2)Foot is ridiculously rigid and big toe has limited movement resulting in it being reluctant to come down and support the foot.

3)Stretch big toe. Wierd I know, one would expect it to stretch 60 degrees back at the moment it is struggling to 40 degrees.

Note to self:

Get up off lazy ass and start doing serious core work as core is awful currently. Doing up a plan tonight and will stick to it 4 nights week, minimum. Focus on glutes, calves and general core.

Going nuts (actually nuts!) from no excercise, start back doing something, ANYTHING! from Monday.

Sounds like light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to seeing you back at your skinny best.

I'd feckin love to be 72kg if it's any consolation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good luck with the comeback.
    Why don't you log your core work here so then you'd be more accountable for it?
    So we'll be expecting your first core work report on Monday then? And 3 other times next week:D Might help you with hanging around here if you're still not running. Can't be easy:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jaysus pity about you, last time i weighed 72kg Xworx jeans were in fashion and the Stone Roses were headlining Feile. You'll probably have to google Xworx jeans & Feile cause you weren't born.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Good luck with the comeback.
    Why don't you log your core work here so then you'd be more accountable for it?
    So we'll be expecting your first core work report on Monday then? And 3 other times next week:D Might help you with hanging around here if you're still not running. Can't be easy:(

Ha, very true..I might try it alright as you say, lack of accountability at the moment, If I do it Monday I'll post it. :D

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus pity about you, last time i weighed 72kg Xworx jeans were in fashion and the Stone Roses were headlining Feile. You'll probably have to google Xworx jeans & Feile cause you weren't born.

Ha, had to google those alright! :D X-worx....never heard of them until now!

Also forgot to mention that my running time is now taken up with The Wire and Candy Crush, how things change! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah xworx and joe bloggs jeans, those were the days!

Btw blockic, if its any consolation you are unsurprisingly my perfect love match (sorry ososlo). Scarily far ahead of anyone else!

RunningKing the perfect match for me but then AMK has no interest? :confused:

What an a*****e!! :pac:;)

Gavlor a respectable second!

Boards thinks you are a bit of a man slut it seems. Top of my list too Blocky. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus lads, hadn't a clue what you were on about.

Blocky your low down on my list, but Gavlor is 3rd........

Jaysus lads, hadn't a clue what you were on about.

Blocky your low down on my list, but Gavlor is 3rd........

As expected, I have a lot more in common with running king than his good-two-shoes creepy uncle AMK

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Feel so sorry for ya Blockic, I'd be climbing the walls if I were you, But ya I think the only thing to keep sane is keep busy and maybe focus on core etc? It might inspire a few of us around here too if you log your core workouts. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just to step away from all that man-love for a moment...could you post the core plan when you get a chance J?
    I'd be willing to take a punt on it being quite comprehensive and therefore perfect for stealing!
    Now back to it lads and I promise I won't tell on you to Neil Francis!

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Feel so sorry for ya Blockic, I'd be climbing the walls if I were you, But ya I think the only thing to keep sane is keep busy and maybe focus on core etc? It might inspire a few of us around here too if you log your core workouts. Best of luck with it.

Thanks DOCO....the end is near....I hope!
    belcarra wrote: »
    Just to step away from all that man-love for a moment...could you post the core plan when you get a chance J?
    I'd be willing to take a punt on it being quite comprehensive and therefore perfect for stealing!

That was a bad punt! :pac: Have done 30 mins core work twice this week and will again tonight. However the last two nights had no real structure just random. I will however come up with something over the next couple of days and will post it then*

* I know I said that last week too! :D

The (very slow) rise from the ashes!

For the last couple of weeks since I got my orthotics (17th Feb) I have been walking around in them most of the time, gradually building up and getting the foot used to them. They feel quite comfortable and it is only when I put them on did I realise how unstable and exposed my right foot has been up to this point. Where before my toe was sore when pressure was not been applied, within a few days of just walking around in the orthotics I felt a significant improvement.
    All going well so far anyway, there will be no rushing back this time, it will be a gradual return over a number of weeks/months. I’m going to give the foot as much chance as possible to recover initially and then build slowly hopefully resulting in it not causing me more grief!

Monday
    2 miles easy / 8:30 average pace

Made my return in the most horrific weather last Monday evening. But man was I lapping it up. It just felt great to be back out running and have the buzz back, even though it was slow. Taking all the precautions this time...drove half a mile to a grass pitch...jogged around 2 miles and drove home, soaked but thrilled! :D
    I’ll take 2 miles, 2-3 times a week anytime in the future ahead of not being able to run at all.
    No reaction in the foot after the run which was good.

Thursday
    Echocardiogram & Special Guests

Just recording this here for future reference, went up to Dublin on Thursday to get a heart echo. I asked to be referred to get it as I wanted to have the heart checked before I head away, better here than over there. If I am going to be racking up the miles again in months to come I felt it was wise to get it done. Will get the results next week but all appears to be fine based on initial consultation. Listening to your own heart pumping and looking at it at the same time was very weird but fun!
    On Thursday night I spent the best 2 euro I will all year. Dick Hooper, Sean Hehir and Brian Maher had a Q&A session in Kilkenny so I couldn’t turn that down.
    Dick was fascinating, some of the training he done back in his prime was remarkable if not in-sane ( ok, part was in-sane!) Really enjoyed the evening where the three of them offered a great insight into their day-to-day lives and was well worth attending. The fact that anything could be asked was great also. Super stuff and really got the fire burning within me again!

Saturday
    3 miles easy / 7:47 average pace

Over to the same pitch again today, 3 miles on grass, legs will take a while to get used to the running movement again but the feeling of burning in the legs makes you feel so good at the end.
    It’s easy to take things for granted when you are banging out 60-70 miles a week and running marathons and racing with no issues. But when you are out for a medium/ long period you really do learn to appreciate the simple ability to just go for a jog. I won’t be taking it for granted in future!

While out running the miles today I had a flashback to the final straight in Chicago in October.

I want that buzz again....the feeling of athletic accomplishment and success.....and I want it badly.

Time to re-light the fire! Hopefully with no setbacks this time.
    Plan for next week 3 x 3 miles. Easy does it...

Week Mileage Summary:

2m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|3m|Rest

5m|3m|44m

Great update Blocky, good to see you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Great to see ya back Blockic :)

Just tidying things up here. Might as well post the bad with the good! At least I had no zero month! :cool:

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1||
    April|17/30|120.2||
    May|20/31|151.8||
    June|18/30|149.7||
    July|26/31|220.4||
    August|27/31|250.5||
    September|24/31|197.3||
    October|18/31|135.4||
    November|10/30|67.5||
    December|1/31|4||

Monday
    3 miles easy / 7:52 average pace

An exact replica of Saturday, 2 miles on grass and one mile on tarmac to get to the pitch and back. I'll just copy and paste this for the next couple of months! :pac:

25 mins of leg strengthening and stretching afterwards. Still need to nail down a routine for this.

Wednesday
    3.2 miles easy / 7:38 average pace

Over to the club this week on the track for the first time in ages.

12 laps in the pi**ing rain and wind. That is all! :D

Sunday
    3 miles easy / 7:28 average pace

Ran this one in the local GAA pitch yesterday as I was taxi while the brother played a match.

Getting very consistent with the mileage now! :pac: Upping it another notch this week.

Week Mileage Summary:

3m|Rest|3.2m|Rest|Rest|Rest|3m

9.2m|12.2m|53.2m

How is the mental state holding up with all this 'running'??

Any dates set for when you depart these shores?

How is the mental state holding up with all this 'running'??

Any dates set for when you depart these shores?

Mentally much improved since I am back out there running!! Thanks for asking. Was very anxious and jittery during my spell out, needed to burn of energy big time!

Obviously would love to be running a bit more but don't want to ramp up too fast with these new insoles...the foot will take time to adapt and get used to the new stresses and strains from them. On the good news front my Jeptoo run is slowly disappearing, concentrating on form during my return...not sure if this is a good thing as its my trademark! :cool:

In terms of time left, you only have to stick me for 3 more weeks :p...I then become the official boards ambassador for the Chicago Marathon! :pac:

I expect to see visitors every year! ;)

Going away beers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

In terms of time left, you only have to stick me for 3 more weeks :p...I then become the official boards ambassador for the Chicago Marathon! :pac:

I expect to see visitors every year! ;)

How many spaces are left now...?:p

• Advertisement

Going away beers ?

Unfortunately don't think I will be in Dublin between now and then!
    belcarra wrote: »
    How many spaces are left now...?:p

Dunno, I need to find a place to live first! :pac: Then we'll talk numbers ;) ..be hard to beat the value/location of that hostel though! Serious find there!

Plus, no way am I dragging you home from the pub next time you're over, unlike last year :pac: ;)

Advertisement