Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Your 8 years younger than me, your condiderably faster than me, now you rub my face in it again by telling me your the weight of a wippet!! I hate you!

Haha, sorry bout that! :D Funny thing is I eat like a horse but never put it on! :confused: Nice way to be i suppose! Especially for running!

When you going for a skinny mocha frappe with Marthstew?

Digger won't let me!! :(;) Although I could get in there and kick him while he is down! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Joking aside, I weigh myself frequently, when I was marathon training my weight could fluctuate by 5lbs or more in a day. (I sweat like the proverbial pig).

I can't really afford to loose any, according to my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Your 8 years younger than me, your condiderably faster than me, now you rub my face in it again by telling me your the weight of a wippet!! I hate you!

+1. Fast, knocking the elderly among us and now those with heavier bones;).

As joey in friends said "That's 3 strikes...you only get one more":D

(So help me god, if you say "whats friends?" , I will hunt you down:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Joking aside, I weigh myself frequently, when I was marathon training my weight could fluctuate by 5lbs or more in a day. (I sweat like the proverbial pig).

I can't really afford to loose any, according to my wife!
    Pigs don't sweat......fun fact for you :p

• Advertisement

Doh!
    I'll need be more careful with my animalistic analogies!

upthe19th wrote: »
    As joey in friends said "That's 3 strikes...you only get one more":D

(So help me god, if you say "whats friends?" , I will hunt you down:p)

Friends?? Ya I know what friends are, sure I have loads! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Pigs don't sweat......fun fact for you :p

Believe me pigs do sweat, and i'm not on about the 4 legged ones!!

Wednesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:40 average pace

Unfortunately I can’t remember much about this one. As a result, it must have been uneventful!

Thursday
    8 miles easy / 8:14 average pace

Another easy run last Thursday with it being a step-back week on the P&D plan. Again can’t remember much on this, keeping it consistent though which is the main thing.

Friday
    Rest

Was supposed to get in my 4m recovery run on Friday morning instead of Saturday as I was going out Friday night and I also wanted a rest day also Saturday before Dungarvan. Set the alarm for 7am, woke up, felt ok, didn’t get out of bed, hit the snooze button.:rolleyes: Snooze button, snooze, snooze, snooze. Out of bed at 8:10 for work!!:D Won’t be trying a morning run again anytime soon, waste of a good hours sleep!

Saturday
    2.2 miles recovery / 8:10 average pace (incl. 3 x 100m strides)

So, over indulged on Friday might and hit the sack at 4am!!:o Up at 11ish feeling rough and I didn’t have time to squeeze in all the 4 miles. Set the target at 2 as I wanted to just loosen the legs a bit for Dungarvan. Included a couple of strides to get a bit of race pace into the legs. Felt much better finishing than when I started. The nice easy run cleared the head and got the drink out of me! Win-Win!:) :cool:

Hey, you're short a day?

• Advertisement

Sunday 27th January

Dungarvan 10

Time: 1:03:11
    Average Pace: 6.17/mile
    Result: 134/1430

Woke up this morning and the legs were not feeling great after trawling around Cork all day yesterday shopping! Set off for Dungarvan at 10.30am thinking I’d get there for 12pm, arrived in Dungarvan at half 11!! :rolleyes: An extra half an hour to waste! Arsed around for a bit and jogged down to the start at 12:30 as my warm up with a few strides. Done my usual pre-run stretching and then I spotted a boards shirt bursting up and down the road :D, went over to introduce myself and it turned out to be Dilbert75. Soon we were lining up for the start and I came across career_move and Gavlor. After I met Gavlor, he continued to search around for me as I hadn’t introduced myself with my boards name! :P Eventually we got the mix up sorted and we were ready to go.

I was out of position at the start and the pace was very slow. The pacers did not get behind the start line until about a minute before the off so I was not sure where they would place themselves and therefore I was a bit away from them at the start. This resulted in a quicker first mile than I would have liked but soon after we were in position A1. Gavlor at this stage had also managed to get up alongside me in perfect position also. We pretty much remained in sight of each other for the rest of the race.

At the 3rd mile marker I found myself ahead of the pacers and I stayed ahead of them with Gavlor for the next couple of miles, However on the straight between 4 and 6 miles there was a savage head wind that slowed me up significantly, I tried to stay behind groups for shelter for the most part but I got caught exposed on a couple of occasions as I pushed on. At the 6 mile mark the pacers had caught back up with me and as I was fighting a losing battle on my own with the wind I said I’d settle in behind the group for a bit. The pace was comfortable for me up to this point.

At mile 7ish I started to feel it a bit in the legs but breathing wise is never an issue for me. A downhill section appeared just at the right time for me and allowed a bit of rest bite for the legs. At this stage Gavlor started to kick on, I stayed with the pacers for another bit. About a half mile later I kicked on and set Gavlor as my target. I gradually cut the distance and at about 8.5 we were back on par and we both kicked on to the finish. Those last 2 miles were tough going but just about had enough to get to the finish where we both crossed together. Didn’t have the energy for a sprint even though I saw a lad fly past us on the finishing straight!

Very happy with my time :), as I had thought sub 65 was touch and go. Bohermeen Half now in March should be good indication where I am at for Rotterdam but 3:10 is looking realistic now so today’s race was a great confidence booster!

The spread after was massive and the organisation of the race was top notch. Congrats to West Waterford on a job superbly done. One small item I did note was that the pacers could have been in position a bit earlier before the start and it may have reduced the congestion of different paced runners towards the front. But there may have been a reason for this.

On another note, my current 10k PB is 42:30 but it is pretty much a sitting duck as I done the last 10k of the race today in 39:06!! Need to get a 10km race in soon to rectify that one! Was 6 seconds outside my 5km PB as well today for the last 5km (18:50) so that should be cut on my next 5km race too. All in all a good day out!!

Well done on all the boardsies today, Super results!

Nice to meet Dilbert75 and see career_move and docjewel again. Was great to meet you Gavlor finally and thanks for the company and getting me around the course! We will have more races similar to today in the future I’m sure!:)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|9.3m|5m|8m|Rest|2.2m|10m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    34.5m|153.8m|153.8m

Hey, you're short a day?

You're too fast for me!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Brilliant stuff Blockic..well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

savage stuff j. well done fella.

Running out of superlatives to describe your running, your moving on to another level. Fantastic running, well done.

Superb, 3:10 is now a soft target.
    Great result and very well deserved given your training.

Won't be long now before you stop talking to us and only speak to Krusty, ecoli, ray and co. :-0 !

On a serious note, Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »

On another note, my current 10k PB is 42:30 but it is pretty much a sitting duck as I done the last 10k of the race today in 39:06!! Need to get a 10km race in soon to rectify that one! Was 6 seconds outside my 5km PB as well today for the last 5km (18:50) so that should be cut on my next 5km race too. All in all a good day out!!

Your rate of Improvement is pretty outstanding considering you ran that 5k flat out just 3 weeks ago :eek:

Mcmillan is now predicting a 2:57 marathon based on that, I am telling you, it's pretty realistic...

Cheers RedRunner and upthe19th, appreciate it!
    Running out of superlatives to describe your running, your moving on to another level. Fantastic running, well done.

Things are going well at the moment alright tang, long may it continue. Have that 1hr mark for the 10miler well in my sights now. With the wind today I was well pleased with it.

When is your next race? Bundoran?

Thinking of doing a 10k in few weeks down near home, just give me a better idea where i'm at for Bundoran.

Superb, 3:10 is now a soft target.
    Great result and very well deserved given your training.

Won't be long now before you stop talking to us and only speak to Krusty, ecoli, ray and co. :-0 !

Thanks RK, haha, ah I'll always stick with my DCM12 homies!!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Your rate of Improvement is pretty outstanding considering you ran that 5k flat out just 3 weeks ago :eek:

Mcmillan is now predicting a 2:57 marathon based on that, I am telling you, it's pretty realistic...

Yeah, was suprised when I saw the split time for the 5km to be honest, as it was flat out at the Tom Brennan!

I'm afraid to mention the 2:XX number! :D I'll keep an open mind until Bohermeen and reflect on it then!

Might be possible in 2013 after all though. Chicago if we get the right weather!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Well done on a great run, must have passed me somewhere in rhe last 2 miles, would agree with menosceno that you'll have to adjust that marathon target.

Well done but Ill be watching out for you next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Well done lad. Super running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Nice running. The last 5k split is a really good sign for quicker times at the shorter stuff. Make sure you shift your training times up accordingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

menoscemo wrote: »
    Your rate of Improvement is becoming seriously suspicious considering you ran that 5k flat out just 3 weeks ago :eek:

FYP:D

All joking aside great running again Blockic.

After reading the reports from yourself and Gavlor though I have this image in my head of the two of you (not that I know what you look like) crossing the line together holding hands :D. A bit of friendly rivalry wouldn't got amiss.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    After reading the reports from yourself and Gavlor though I have this image in my head of the two of you (not that I know what you look like) crossing the line together holding hands :D. A bit of friendly rivalry wouldn't got amiss.

Haha, maybe I should of worded that a bit differently!:)

In fairness we both helped each other out big time throughout the race so we deserved to have the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dazza21ie wrote: »

FYP:D

All joking aside great running again Blockic.

He took pity on the old timer ;)

I contemplated a run fat boy run style trip near the finish but spotted a photographer ad decided against it

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 7/12

Nice to get the legs well stretched tonight after the race yesterday. Would not have liked to be out in that weather!!! Fair play to anyone that went for a run!!:eek:

I instead stayed by the fire re-adjusted my training paces based on the race yesterday! :D

Training Type|Previous Paces|New Paces
    VO2 Max|6:05 - 6:10|5:50 - 5:55
    Lactate Threshold|6:30 - 6:40|6:15 - 6:25
    Easy Runs|8:00 - 8:20|7:50 - 8:10
    Long Runs|8:10 - 8:50|7:50 - 8:20
    Recovery Runs|9:00 - 9:20|8:40 - 9:00
    HMP|6:40 - 6:50|6:20 - 6:25
    PMP|7:25 - 7:40|7:05 - 7:15

Also had a think about re-adjusting 2013 targets but I've decided to leave them be until I hit them and then set a higher target. Of course I'll be trying to break my original targets my as much as possible!! :D

All the paces look on par except for the marathon pace which seems on the slower end to what has been suggested. I am just a bit cautious when it comes to the marathon because at the end of the day I have still only run one.:o I just feel I need the experience of at least another marathon under my belt before I take the craic at the sub 3.:eek: Probably just lacking the confidence over the last 4-5 miles at that distance at the moment and I'd be delighted with sub 3:10 in Rotterdam if I'm honest.

And sure time is on my side after all, no need to rush it. Thinking long term!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Impressive stuff there J :D

Impressive but nerdy :D

Tuesday
    6.1 miles recovery / 8:30 average pace

Went out with my housemate for this one. Running with company makes such a difference!! Time and miles flew by. Pace was a bit fast for recovery and will need to be more disciplined on this going forward.

Wednesday
    4.1 miles recovery / 8:35 average pace

Another recovery pace run after Dungarvan on Sunday. Again pace too fast. Will be keeping it 8:40 or slower next week on!! :mad:

Thursday
    10.2 miles LTR / 7:20 average pace (incl. 4m @ LT)

Woke up Thursday morning and was feeling very groggy and hazy, think I may be coming down with something. This lasted most of the day but come home time I was feeling fine so said I’d stick to the planned run (well kinda :)). The run called for 10m with 5m at lactate threshold pace. However, after doing Dungarvan last Sunday I didn’t want to push it too much and my body was not feeling it so I said I would change it to 2x2 mile session instead.

Run went:

4 miles easy
    2 miles @LT (6:21, 6:19)
    1 mile easy
    2 miles @LT (6:28, 6:33)
    1.2 mile cool down

The second LT section was disaster where I ran into dogs, leashes, people and traffic lights!! :rolleyes: It all went miserably wrong so the times were not great!! Body felt OK after so then went out for some medication in the form of alcohol!!:D I moved a year closer to thirty this week so had to go out and drown my sorrows!!

Was very groggy again this morning but that might have been under different circumstances than the day before!! :o

Anyway, the run brought an end to my January running and a good mileage month to start the year!

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

blockic wrote: »

I'm afraid to mention the 2:XX number! :D I'll keep an open mind until Bohermeen and reflect on it then!

Might be possible in 2013 after all though. Chicago if we get the right weather!!

Possible?? With the fullest of respect to all of the other loggers who are targeting a sub 3 around these parts, I'd have most confidence in yourself in achieving that. If it's a case of modesty, fair enough, but definitely don't be afraid of it. I'd

I don't think you'll find any of us gambling sorts betting against you!

Congrats on Dungarvan.... what'll you be hoping for in Bohermeen?

Advertisement