Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

Run went:

4 miles easy
    2 miles @LT (6:21, 6:19)
    1 mile easy
    2 miles @LT (6:28, 6:33)
    1.2 mile cool down

The second LT section was disaster where I ran into dogs, leashes, people and traffic lights!! :rolleyes: It all went miserably wrong so the times were not great!! Body felt OK after so then went out for some medication in the form of alcohol!!:D I moved a year closer to thirty this week so had to go out and drown my sorrows!!

Was very groggy again this morning but that might have been under different circumstances than the day before!! :o

Anyway, the run brought an end to my January running and a good mileage month to start the year!

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2

Lactate threshold eh?? What in the name of god is that?!!

Some mileage for jan, fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Possible?? With the fullest of respect to all of the other loggers who are targeting a sub 3 around these parts, I'd have most confidence in yourself in achieving that. If it's a case of modesty, fair enough, but definitely don't be afraid of it. I'd

I don't think you'll find any of us gambling sorts betting against you!

Congrats on Dungarvan.... what'll you be hoping for in Bohermeen?

Wow!! Embarrassed now!! :o Thanks for the great support TBW. I suppose, being honest, there are a couple of reasons for me pulling in the reigns a bit on the sub3.

1) For the only marathon I ran to date, I really struggled for the last 6 miles, endurance was an issue. It didnt show too much on the split (5 seconds a mile drop in pace) but I really felt it and it really hit home how hard the 26.2 distance is. That was at 8min miles only 3 months ago!! Now if I go out at say 7.05 min miles, I still have a fear of really struggling after the 20mile mark. It is nearly a minute faster per mile than what I done in Dublin.:eek: I'm hoping the P&D plan will rectify this to some extent if I follow it to the exact number and it will give me the confidence to not fear those last 6 miles.

2) As a result of point one, the second reason is managing expectation! :) I suppose I have a pessimistic mindset in general! So I apply that to my running too!:D So if I do achieve it, it will be a bonus!! :)

Bohermeen target was previously 1:26:59 before Dungarvan, I'll probably be looking at sub 1:24 now. Would be a four and a half minute PB for me and would be delighted with that. Be fairly happy with sub 1:25 too.
    Gavlor wrote: »

Some mileage for jan, fair play to you

Haha, you need to do some reading!! Pfitzinger is my new buddy! :) I'm all into the techy and sciency stuff! It's similar to tempo pace!

Happy with the Jan mileage alright!! Those lads doing over 200 a month...Jasis!! Machines!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Its the threshold for your lactate.....stuuupidd....:)

Friday
    Rest

Rest day yesterday for me. Bit hungover and a drive down home meant no time for running!

Saturday
    4.2 miles easy / 7:42 average pace

The head cold finally arrived this morning and was not feeling great so I had initially decided to shelve the planned 7 miles and save my energy for the LSR tomorrow. But then as the day went on I started to come around and after dinner this evening I felt well enough to go for a 4 miler to ensure I get over the 40m barrier this week.

As I'm down home, I had to drive to the local town for street lighting and I set off at 9pm. I have to say this was the most enjoyable run I have had in a while. As it was later in the night than when I normally run, the footpaths were dead and more importantly dogless!!!

It was so quiet in fact it was therapeutic and I loved every minute. :D The pace also felt pretty easy and I would have loved to of kept going for a few more miles but decided to pack it in with the longer run in mind tomorrow.

The only strange thing was that I knew a load of people heading into the pubs for a Saturday night out on the town while I was running past the doors!! :rolleyes: Probably looks like dedication to fellow runners on here but madness to everyone else!!!:)

Might run a few more of these later night runs!! Also think it done me the world of good and I feel much better now than before the run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Late night runs are the future, never mind CM & her ridiculous o clock early morning runs!!! I have a nice quiet 1am run planned myself for later.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Late night runs are the future, never mind CM & her ridiculous o clock early morning runs!!! I have a nice quiet 1am run planned myself for later.

Is that run later not a ridiculous o clock early morning run no?? ;)

There might be a few drunks in your way rather than dogs at that hour though!! :D Not sure which is worse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is that run later not a ridiculous o clock early morning run no?? ;)

There might be a few drunks in your way rather than dogs at that hour though!! :D Not sure which is worse!!

Na, cause it doesn't mean getting out of bed for so its not so bad!!

Na, cause it doesn't mean getting out of bed for so its not so bad!!

Very true!! I loves me bed!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I have a nice quiet 1am run planned myself for later.

Thať there is early morning runner talk B :P

Sunday
    18 miles LSR / 7:59 average pace

Headed off on my usual loop down home today, I wasn't feeling the best but just about well enough to go for the run. The loop is 12 miles and being lazy I said I would not drop any water and come back home at 12m to replenish (Forgot my bottle that fits in my belt in KK). :rolleyes: Things were going fine but at about the 9m mark I was really hanging and pace dropped for a bit until I got home. Lesson learned. Will be bringing / dropping water in future!! it was alot milder that what I expected.

Overall I found the LSR tough but in fairness the route was not that easy and I wasn't 100% either. As we live in a valley the only way I can go in any direction from home is up!!! :(

03022013.png

I suppose these hilly routes will stand to me come race day.

Happy with this weeks mileage, upping it again now next week with the first 20 miler next Sunday.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|6.1m|4.1m|10.2m|Rest|4.2m|18m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    42.6m|22.2m|196.4m

• Advertisement

Monday
    Rest

After staying up most the night Sunday to watch the Super Bowl I went to work on 3hrs sleep. :rolleyes: This combined with the cold I have at the moment resulted in me skipping the core work class last night and hitting the sack at 9pm. Wrecked!!

Tuesday
    5 miles recovery / 8:42 average pace

This head cold and aches and pains is a sickener. I'm not 100% but at the same time not sick enough not to run. It's just like a bumble bee stuck in a room. Always there in the background, annoying but managable.:mad:

As a result of this, i've decided to bring all my light runs to the start of the week to allow time to get over this cold and then load the core of the work into the days towards the end of the week when I'll hopefully be recovered!

Got these 5 miles in this evening after work. No stress. Only nuisance was the wind!

I don't think its a good idea to do a session and a 20 mile long run at the weekend if you're only just recovered from being sick...........:D

I don't think its a good idea to do a session and a 20 mile long run at the weekend if you're only just recovered from being sick...........:D

Haha, done 18 last Sunday with no ill effects and that was at the height of it so I should be fine. Plus no session in my plan this week only a 12m slow run. The fact that it is all slow work this week should help me somewhat!

And anyway, it has not escalated to MAN FLU yet (touch wood)! :D

Wednesday
    12.1 miles MSR / 7:58 average pace

A long slog around Kilkenny on a Wednesday evening after work. Pace felt very comfortable and it is nice to see my 'easy' pace coming down with ease at the moment.

Thursday, Friday
    Rest

Rested on Thursday but had to abandon the 10 miles I had planned for Friday as the flu escalated to what felt like the chest :(. I woke up yesterday morning and just didn't feel great at all. With the morning the only opportunity I had to run I had to cancel especially as it included some miles at lactate threshold. I would not have been able to put that much effort into the run so was best to leave it off. This was supposed to be my first 50 miler week too so pretty disgusted about that! frown.png I instead dosed myself in vitamin C, paracetamol and exputex and hoped for the best!:)

Saturday
    5 miles easy / 7:41 average pace

Felt much better this morning (it looks like I have prevented the cold getting to the chest just in time) so I said i'd test the waters before lunch with an easy run to see if I would be able for an LSR tomorrow. The run went fine with a mix of road and trail and no ill effects afterwards. I think I'm at about 80% at the moment and I'm due to have my first 20m LSR tomorrow. I only have three 20 milers in my plan so I really want to get out for this one but at the same time I dont want to have one run result in the loss of a couple of weeks down the line. I have 3 options at the moment:

Do the 20m LSR
    Do a shorter LSR which would have less impact on the body (10-12m)
    Take the day off to fully recover

Will decide based on how I feel in the morning, but will make the sensible one and not go out if I dont feel right!

Option c is the wise option, option B is what I'd do, but I reckon you'll do A and throw in some strides at the end for the heck of it!

Option c is the wise option, option B is what I'd do, but I reckon you'll do A and throw in some strides at the end for the heck of it!

How do you know me so well! :D

Sunday
    18 miles LSR / 8:04 average pace

So I ended up not doing A,B or C! :rolleyes: I felt ok this morning so I went out with an open mind and see how far I was able to go while at the same time keeping it easy on the body. Ran down to Crosshaven and back and was faced with a horrible head wind for the return journey. Not good for the head cold!!! :mad: Arrived back with 18 miles done and was not up for doing the extra two so I left it at that.

Overall, a bit of disappointment on the running front this week. Really wanted to kick on and get over 50 miles done but what can ya do!

Considering that I was not 100% all week, I have to be satisfied with the 40 miles especially when I had to skip a run.

Onwards and upwards! Hopefully will rectify the shortage with a solid week next week!

Week Mileage Summary:

Rest|5m|12.1m|Rest|Rest|5m|18m

40.1m|62.3m|236.5m

You got to be happy with 18m in $hitty weather at 8:04 pace.
    Your body will thank you for the reduced mileage on a sick week.

13 miles behind me this week :eek: That must hurt :D:D:D

Is that a chicking?

• Advertisement

Is that a chicking?
    Most definitely ;)

You got to be happy with 18m in $hitty weather at 8:04 pace.
    Your body will thank you for the reduced mileage on a sick week.

Cheers Alan, I hope it does! My body would want to get it's ass in gear now and get back to normal!!
    13 miles behind me this week :eek: That must hurt :D:D:D

Yup, :D Seriously pi**ed off! :pac: Although that is us 1-1 in the flu front!
    Is that a chicking?

OI! Don't be trying to cause havoc in here now boyo!!:) We'll see if it is a chicking or not come Bohermeen in March!! :cool:

Sunday
    18 miles LSR / 8:04 average pace

So I ended up not doing A,B or C! :rolleyes: I felt ok this morning so I went out with an open mind and see how far I was able to go while at the same time keeping it easy on the body. Ran down to Crosshaven and back and was faced with a horrible head wind for the return journey. Not good for the head cold!!! :mad: Arrived back with 18 miles done and was not up for doing the extra two so I left it at that.

Overall, a bit of disappointment on the running front this week. Really wanted to kick on and get over 50 miles done but what can ya do!

Considering that I was not 100% all week, I have to be satisfied with the 40 miles especially when I had to skip a run.

Onwards and upwards! Hopefully will rectify the shortage with a solid week next week!

Week Mileage Summary:

Rest|5m|12.1m|Rest|Rest|5m|18m

40.1m|62.3m|236.5m

18??? Ppffftttt wuss ;)

Seriously though, fair play to you. That's some going.

Are you sure you aren't the T-1000 from terminator 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on bagging the pacing gig in limerick :D

menoscemo wrote: »

meno is there anyone from here pacing 3.00??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

meno is there anyone from here pacing 3.00??

Not from here, but a Guy called keith white is down for pacing 3 hrs (they'll probably find another to join him).
    Keith is an ultra legend in Ireland. He'd be one of the top 50k-100k runners. He won the Dingle 50 miler back in September in under 6 hrs :eek: a week after wining the Longford Ultra (39.3 miles). He paced 3 hrs in DCM back in 2011. You're in safe hand even if it is only him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

As everyone else has said Blockic, don't underestimate the effect having a cold has on the system, especially when you're doing such high mileage (and such high quality mileage at that!) You should be seriously chuffed that you still managed 40 miles this week when you were quite unwell.

Carrigaline to Crosshaven must be a lovely run on a nice day. I must run it when the evenings start to lengthen. I'm determined to find some nice new routes to run, especially the longer midweek P&D runs.

Not from here, but a Guy called keith white is down for pacing 3 hrs (they'll probably find another to join him).
    Keith is an ultra legend in Ireland. He'd be one of the top 50k-100k runners. He won the Dingle 50 miler back in September in under 6 hrs :eek: a week after wining the Longford Ultra (39.3 miles). He paced 3 hrs in DCM back in 2011. You're in safe hand even if it is only him....

J, There's a target for you :cool:

18??? Ppffftttt wuss ;)

Seriously though, fair play to you. That's some going.

Are you sure you aren't the T-1000 from terminator 2?

Terminator what? I'm too young for that id say!...I joke!:D

Nice one, happy out with that. God help the 1:40s!!:D I have to deal with the guns for nearly 2 hours! :eek::)
    ncmc wrote: »
    Carrigaline to Crosshaven must be a lovely run on a nice day. I must run it when the evenings start to lengthen. I'm determined to find some nice new routes to run, especially the longer midweek P&D runs.

Thanks ncmc! Yeah it's a really nice run, flat and scenic!! Although its only about 9 miles down and back so the difficult part is trying to find 9 more miles after it! Ever try the Harty Quay route in Cork City? It's a lovely route too, done it there for the first time couple weeks back!
    J, There's a target for you :cool:

No chance!! 26.2 is the longest I'm going!! No ultras for me!! (i may regret saying that) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Harty Quay is definitely on my list, I work in the city so would be doable after work. I'm counting down the days til the hour goes forward so I can try out all these lovely routes!

Advertisement