Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Hey buddy, well done on getting a pacing gig. How'd you go about getting that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hey buddy, well done on getting a pacing gig. How'd you go about getting that?

Cheer RK. Spotted this a few weeks back and got access. Then just applied from there.

Getting to the business end of this training plan now!!:eek:

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 8/12

Back to this class last night after missing it due to being sick last week. I was really stiff after the run at the weekend so the class took more of a stretching/ flexibilty angle which i was delighted about! I find my shoulder area gets really tense and tight with the running, not sure how common this is? But done some nice upper body stretches to loosen it out!:)

Felt great after the class. Nice and flexible and loose again!:D

Tuesday
    8 miles LTR / 7:01 average pace (incl. 4m @ LT)

Delighted to get back out there tonight, seems like ages ago when I last done a speed session and wanted to give it a good go tonight to see where I am.

3 miles easy (7:42, 7:37, 7:47)
    4 miles @LT (6:15, 6:15, 6:19, 6:19)
    1 mile warm down (7:58)

Happy with the result, have 2 heavy sessions in a row this week so thats one down, first V02 max session tomorrow night.

On the sickness front, I think I have seen the back of it! (touch wood)
    Feeling back to normal yesterday and today.:D

Those 4 LT miles are impressive!

Wednesday
    10.8 miles V02 Max / 7:40 average pace (incl. 6x800m @5k pace)

Well that was some experience tonight!! Lessons learned:

1) Back-to-Back sessions are tough
    2) These V02 max sessions are harder than I expected
    3) Read Garmin manual before setting up workouts!!:rolleyes:

So I was looking forward to this run all day, it was the kinda run I hadn't done before so was eager to try it out. The legs were still feeling the effects from the LTR the night before and the body was fairly tired overall and lacking energy. It was misrable out windy and raining when I set off. Was wrecked doing the 4 miles easy at the start and was contemplating continuing on the easy pace for the rest of the run but then I told myself to HTFU and I kicked the session off!

I was so excited by this run in fact that I set the workout up on the Garmin. This was the first time I had done this and I completely f'd it up!! :rolleyes: :o

I set up the 0.5m step on the garmin and the 2min recovery after. I then on the next step said to repeat this 5 more times. Of course I though this would be 1 + 5 reps equaling the 6 but this was not the case! It was set to 5 reps!

That was the start of it then....Off I went on the first rep and then for some unknown reason:rolleyes: at the end of the first 0.5m I pressed lap! This just gets better and better.:D I think I broke every instruction for setting up workouts on the garmin! Because I had pressed lap, this completely screwed it up and soon while running my 2nd rep I was aparently on my 3rd!:rolleyes: AND as I only had 5 reps on it after I had done my 4th rep it was telling me to cool down!

Absolute disater!!!!!! The mess that was the garmin workout put me out of rhythm a bit so the run didnt really go as smooth as I would have hoped!

In the middle of all this mayhem then I had mis-calculated how far from home I was after the last rep so the cool down turned out to be 2.8 miles instead of 1.5! On the cool down I just started laughing to myself as you just had to take the funny side of how bad it went...ANNNNNNDDDD then (last one I promise :)) about half a mile from home the heavens absolutely opened and a horrendous downpour had me dripping wet as I collapsed in the door. Some craic!!

Character building eh??

Anyway after deciphering my murdered garmin workout, I figured out the pace for the reps. Target pace was 5:50. The run went as follows:

4 miles easy
    6 x 800m with 2min recovery walk/jog (5:55, 5:40, 5:39, 5:46, 5:46, 5:36)
    2.8 miles warm down

So as bad as tonights adventure was the actual splits were not too bad but I did have to walk for 1min and jog for 1min on the recoveries as I was just busted!

So after making every mistake on the garmin I'll make sure to set it correctly the next night. It won't beat me!!

Absolutely wrecked now but thanks for listening to this evenings rant!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have never set up a workout on the Garmin and never felt the need to. I just would Press lap at the start of a rep and again at the end. Mind you it is much easier when running around a track :D

BTW I don't remember an LT run followed by a VO2 max on the P&D plan. Am I wrong or are you making up for runs missed? If the latter I'd be careful and put a recovery day between sessions.

Nice 5k pace though...

menoscemo wrote: »
    BTW I don't remember an LT run followed by a VO2 max on the P&D plan. Am I wrong or are you making up for runs missed? If the latter I'd be careful and put a recovery day between sessions.

Yip, you would be correct. Was a once off kind of deal.:)

I was planning to do the LT run this Friday coming, but I moved my 21m LSR back to Saturday so didnt want to run the LTR the evening before the LSR so switched it to yesterday.

Should really have put a recovery run between the two but couldnt squeez it in. Recovery between sessions is priorty 1 99% of the time however and the lesson has been learned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running j, those 800m reps are a bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fantastic running again blockic.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great running j, those 800m reps are a bitch!

Stop, way harder than what I thought they would be!!
    tang1 wrote: »
    Fantastic running again blockic.

Cheers tang. You are going well yourself! Hows the training coming along? You are putting in great mileage..much speed work?

• Advertisement

Well done young man - theres no end to your running talent.

As a stats nerd - I use 'Garmin Training Center' to set up my runs (just the sessions) on the watch - for instance, I spent about 15 mins last night setting it up for the next 4 weeks - 8 sessions. Its easier than using the watch.

& walking half of the recovery is what all the cool people are doing................

blockic wrote:
    Cheers tang. You are going well yourself! Hows the training coming along? You are putting in great mileage..much speed work?

Being doing all menos sessions, but going to give this weeks one a miss, my foot is acting up a bit again and speed work seems to make it that bit worse. Congrats on the pacing gig in Limerick to by the way, as has been said a revision of goal time for Rotterdam may be needed. You'll rip it up in Bohermeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

blockic wrote: »

Nice one, happy out with that. God help the 1:40s!!:D I have to deal with the guns for nearly 2 hours! :eek::)

Ahem, you'll be relieved of your duty at 1:49:30 as long as you can keep up ;)

Well done young man - theres no end to your running talent.

As a stats nerd - I use 'Garmin Training Center' to set up my runs (just the sessions) on the watch - for instance, I spent about 15 mins last night setting it up for the next 4 weeks - 8 sessions. Its easier than using the watch.

Thank RK, yep I have the training center alright but didnt know you could set up sessions on it. Will try that next time thanks!

Being doing all menos sessions, but going to give this weeks one a miss, my foot is acting up a bit again and speed work seems to make it that bit worse. Congrats on the pacing gig in Limerick to by the way, as has been said a revision of goal time for Rotterdam may be needed. You'll rip it up in Bohermeen.

Sorry to hear that tang, best to keep it easy so for a bit to give it a chance to recover. Hope it goes well for ya.

Cheers, yeah Rotterdam target will defo be up for revision after Bohermeen but we will wait for the outcome of that first!
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ahem, you'll be relieved of your duty at 1:49:30 as long as you can keep up ;)

Haha, don't worry I'll manage. I'll bring along painkillers for your arthritis if you bring along your pension for the pints afterwards, deal?
    :P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good session blockic, what recovery were you taking during those intervals? You would probably be looking at a sub 18 5k soon if you repeat that session a few times, nice pace. I do 1k sessions at that around that pace and find them good for 5k's if you are looking to target that distance.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good session blockic, what recovery were you taking during those intervals? You would probably be looking at a sub 18 5k soon if you repeat that session a few times, nice pace. I do 1k sessions at that around that pace and find them good for 5k's if you are looking to target that distance.

Thanks pconn. Will probably look at focusing on 5 and 10kms for a couple of months over the summer so will put some work into those distances then.

Recovery between the reps tonight was supposed to be 2min recovery jog @9min/miles. But just didnt have the energy tonight so it turned out to be 1min walk, 1min recovery jog. Will hopefully tighten that area up in the coming weeks as I will have one of these sessions weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Haha, don't worry I'll manage. I'll bring along painkillers for your arthritis if you bring along your pension for the pints afterwards, deal?
    :P;)

Just Ovaltine for me thanks ;)

Catch-up time. Game face on!:cool:

Thursday
    5.2 miles recovery / 9:02 average pace

After finally getting the shower situation sorted in work I set off on my first work lunchtime run Thursday and I absolutely loved it!!:D

Ran a nice country loop (one of the only benefits of working in an office in the countryside!), the sun was shining and I was taking it real slow after my two sessions. It was just a great day to be out running! First time around this loop so I did encounter about 5 dogs!:eek: But they were negotiated handy enough. All in all I was just enjoying being out in the sun and fresh air.

It’s funny as it felt like I was on a day off as the only time I’m running in daylight these days is at weekends! It almost felt like cheating miles. I didn’t have to get up early to do a morning run, full work day done and then came home and had the evening off!! Winner all round!:) I’ll be doing more of these lunch runs but will only have time if they are recovery ones.

Went to physio then that evening for a deep tissue massage! First time since the week before DCM. Sore!! All in all I’m in pretty good shape, just need to keep an eye on a couple of small things.

Friday
    8 miles easy / 8:23 average pace

Uneventful run this one, legs were still feeling the effects of the physio Thursday night so I took it handy. Ran out the door and after about a mile I realised I needed gels for my LSR the following morning so ran back home to pick up some money for gels, then ran to the shop for said gels and before I knew it I had 5 miles done! 3 more slog miles completed the evenings work!

Coming in the door the legs were very tight and stiff and the LSR at 9am the following morning was looking like risky business. I had arranged to meet RunningKing in the park for 9am but then it turned out that he couldn’t make it. This was a blessing in disguise and I decided I would take the sensible option and change my days around, going for a recovery run on Saturday and the LSR on Sunday instead. This would allow me to get the legs back on track and have the ability to put in the required effort that the LSR would need on Sunday.

To accelerate the recovery process I hopped into a steaming hot Epsom salts bath. Heaven!!:)

Saturday
    AM: 4 miles recovery / 9:15 average pace

Popped out for a sllloooowwww short run yesterday morning before breakfast (11am) instead of my long LSR. Legs had a bit more life in them. Hounded down a massive bowl of porridge upon my return. I loves me porridge! I better not stop this running business because if I do, I’ll blow up like a balloon!:eek: Serious amounts of food being consumed these days!

PM: 3 miles recovery / 9:11 average pace

Nipped out for another recovery run then last evening for a number of reasons; a) To accelerate recovery even more. b) To break in my Inspire 9s and c) I realised I would be close enough to a big mileage milestone this week so I added in these to hit the mark!;)

The Inspire 9s are my planned runners for Rotterdam said I better get them out of the box to start breaking them in. They are much lighter than the 8s and seem like a good fit but time will tell how good they are once I start upping the mileage on them.

This run was around the nearby GAA pitch on the grass as I felt the legs needed a bit of a rest from the banging they get on the roads. At just 3 miles though they won’t be getting much of a rest!

Sunday
    21 miles LSR / 7:45 average pace (incl. 11m @PMP)

So this was the big one which I had on the back of my mind all week. I felt that this run would give me a clear indication of where I was at this current moment for Rotterdam.

In summary it was tough, VERY tough.:( I headed on an out and back kind of route so before I set off this morning I planted 2 bottles of water on the route to be devoured later (which I still need to go collect them!!) Then came back and done a few stretches and off I went.

The plan was to take the first 8 miles easy before my PMP miles and just as well as I was facing a direct strong head wind for these first 8 miles, then I turned on the way back in and started the pace miles with the first 5 of these being assisted by said head wind. The target pace for these was 7:05 to see what craic was with this pace.

From about the 11 mile mark my leg muscles started shouting, they were not happy with this run, they wanted an easy day! This discomfort continued for the remainder of the run. I didn’t pull any muscle or anything they just didn’t seem to like me!! Found the last 6 miles tough, The plan was to do 12 miles at PMP but after 11 the legs just had enough.

My breathing was perfect and I think actual fitness is not the problem, it’s the legs. Done two cool down miles instead of the planned one.

So in summary, a hard tough day at the office and the fact remains that endurance is still an issue for me for the marathon pace I should be capable of doing.

That said, it is these kind of runs that will improve this current issue so the plan is to bash a few more of these out before Rotterdam and hope the situation improves. :confused:

LSR details:

8 miles easy
    11 miles @PMP (7:15, 7:02, 7:02, 6:56, 7:02, 7:00, 7:10, 7:23 (uphill), 7:06, 7:13, 7:01)
    2 miles cool down

Also discovered my body does not like protein supplements what contain the 2:1:1 BCAA formula. Had a quarter of a bar after the run and within 5 mins I was up in the toilet trying to get sick with my stomach churning all over the place! :eek: No success in that front so the last 2 hours have been uncomfortable but I’m fine now.

This happened also while DCM training when I took another 2:1:1 product. When I don’t take these products after long runs I am fine so I will be avoiding it in future. I’m fine with plain whey protein so I think I will use that instead.

Also spotted on ncmc’s log (I think!) about being tired and the need to get more sleep. I had to go for an hour kip this evening after my run :o, was just wrecked from it. This P&D is tough and better give me some rewards!

Some first-time achievements for me this week included:

1. Hitting the 60 mile mark making it my biggest ever mileage week by 16 miles! :D:D:D
    2. Running for 6 consecutive days which I has never been heard of before for me!
    3. Running a double day (albeit 2 really short runs!;))
    4. Running 7 times in 6 days

All in all it has been a great week for me, 2 sessions and an LSR. My flaws have been found once more so just need to work more on the endurance for the next 7 weeks and hope it pays off! Based on today’s session though 7:05 pace for the marathon looks outside of my grasp for the moment.

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|8m|10.8m|5.2m|8m|7m|21m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    60m|122.3m|296.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done J that was a brilliant week :D I wouldn't say that the 7:05 pace is beyond you even now and you still have a few weeks training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running Blockic, you're really ramping up the miles. I feel your pain about the tired legs (and I'm doing a lot fewer miles than you) I think the massage leaves the muscles tired and tender, I was the same, hadn't had one since the week before DCM and as my physio said, there was a lot of miles to strip out.

Congrats on a great weeks running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Blockic..I can only think of one word to say in response to your last post.....Wow!

Brilliant Stuff!

Well ok....three words:D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

+1 to all the above^^^^,that's savage running blockic,you will get your rewards from P&D no bother :-)

Superb as always J, see how Bohermeen goes for you before deciding on Rotterdam pace.

docjewel wrote: »
    +1 to all the above^^^^,that's savage running blockic,you will get your rewards from P&D no bother :-)

You are putting up some serious mileage yourself docjewel, you're a mileage machine!

You were putting me to shame so said I better up my game!!
    Superb as always J, see how Bohermeen goes for you before deciding on Rotterdam pace.

Thanks tang, yep, will see how I get on there first. Likely plan anyway for Rotterdam will be to set of conservativeish!! and see how I feel at 20m, kicking on if I feel good.

Also, 3000 calories have been burned today so I think its time to make some brownies!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Also, 3000 calories have been burned today so I think its time to make some brownies!!:D

LOL, I was going to do this myself this evening, but I was missing crucial ingredients. Next week though, I'll be prepared. :P

Admit it J, you were looking fwd to running with me and you just seized up when it didn't happen!

Seriously, Don't worry about the legs just now, look at your post and see what was different this week? 6 days, doing a double, physio on Thursday, 60 mile weeks........or the culmination of all those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

You are putting up some serious mileage yourself docjewel, you're a mileage machine!

You were putting me to shame so said I better up my game!!

Aah don't worry,I'll be taking it easy for the next two weeks, then marathon training is gonna start in earnest;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docjewel wrote: »
    Aah don't worry,I'll be taking it easy for the next two weeks, then marathon training is gonna start in earnest;)
    Your mileage this year so far hasn't been you training in earnest :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm hiding from you in Ballycotton.... you scare me :o

ncmc wrote: »
    You're mileage this year so far this year hasn't been you training in earnest :eek::eek::eek::eek:

+1 to that, your putting SERIOUS mileage up & not yet training for anything!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thanks for updating the spreadsheet!

Advertisement