Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

ncmc wrote: »
    Your mileage this year so far hasn't been you training in earnest :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm hiding from you in Ballycotton.... you scare me :o

Not fair,You promised you were gonna pace me;)
    I might have the stamina but pace over distance is still gonna need a lot of work.
    tang1 wrote: »
    +1 to that, your putting SERIOUS mileage up & not yet training for anything!!

It's a lot of mileage alright but after doing P&D last year its not really too taxing on the body this time round.At the moment I can fit in the mileage but that could change very fast over the next few weeks & if it does I'm hoping the mileage in the bank will stand to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 9:10 average pace
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility
    Class 9/12

Nice recovery jog this one, loving the really slow miles these days.:D To kill two birds with one stone I ran to the core class and back to get both of them in on the one night.

Running is out for me this weekend due to plans so I’m getting it all in this week by Friday and hopefully resulting in 11 days in a row! :eek: Nice 2 days off then though and I feel I need a bit of a break to rejuvenate before by final assault on Rotterdam training.

Tuesday
    8 miles easy / 7:49 average pace

This run got delayed yesterday after work as I frantically tried to register for the Chicago Marathon when registration opened, 70 minutes of website crashes later :mad: and after about 20 attempts I finally got in!! :D But then got in twice and got charged twice!! :rolleyes:

Serious registration mess over there in the windy city that they are still trying to clean it up! Had refund for the duplicate entry processed this morning anyway so it’s all good! Autumn goal marathon sorted!! :)

In other news my work in the US has been postponed until next year so looks like I’ll be travelling over just for the race, free accommodation though as I know loads over there.

Good news is that I’ll be around for all the great races here over the summer and will get to run the Cork City Marathon in my homeland!:)

Anyway got out at 9pm last night for 8 miles easy, legs are tired these days and feeling the effects of the mileage, all part of the P&D plan I suppose running on tired legs to build up the stamina. Was supposed to do a LT run but as it was so late I switched it to tonight instead.

Wednesday
    Run 1: 5.1 miles recovery / 8:59 average pace

Got out at lunch today for a recovery run, about 2 miles on road and 3 miles on grass. Ran from work to the local tiny park, 10 laps of that and then back to the office. There was a guy there cutting the grass after the winter; he must have known I was coming! :cool: Nice short grass for me instead of the long stuff. Although runners were all green after it, hopefully that will cover over the blood stain that I can’t get out!!

Run 2: 11 miles LTR / 6:51 average pace (incl. 7m @ LT)

Back out again straight after work for this week’s session. I felt this run came at the right time for me to see how I’m set for Bohermeen next week. If I could hit the numbers for 7 miles tonight, I’d be fairly confident of hitting them for 13 in 10 day’s time. Lactate Threshold target was 6:20.

3 miles easy
    7 miles @ LT (6:16, 6:16, 6:17, 6:19, 6:18, 6:16, 6:17)
    1 mile cool-down

Pretty happy with this considering it’s my second run of the day. Fairly confident of a good time now next week and all going well my HM PB should be blitzed. :cool:

Also really need a 10km race that suits...set another new PB tonight :rolleyes:, although it will be looking like May at this stage id say. Hopefully I won’t go backwards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

Run 2: 11 miles LTR / 6:51 average pace (incl. 7m @ LT)

Back out again straight after work for this week’s session. I felt this run came at the right time for me to see how I’m set for Bohermeen next week. If I could hit the numbers for 7 miles tonight, I’d be fairly confident of hitting them for 13 in 10 day’s time. Lactate Threshold target was 6:20.

3 miles easy
    1 mile cool-down

Pretty happy with this considering it’s my second run of the day. Fairly confident of a good time now next week and all going well my HM PB should be blitzed. :cool:

Also really need a 10km race that suits...set another new PB tonight :rolleyes:, although it will be looking like May at this stage id say. Hopefully I won’t go backwards!!!

J€sus, have you been meeting dr Ferrari lately??!!

That's brilliant running

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I'm actually at my LT looking at numbers like that. Think I managed them in the car once;). Savage stuff altogether.

Gavlor wrote: »

J€sus, have you been meeting dr Ferrari lately??!!

That's brilliant running

Haha. Didn't really how consistent they were until I uploaded it!

Nah just bananas, porridge and peanuts. A lethal combination! BPP it's called! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Those 7 miles, That's better than a sub 40 10k, in a training run. Your second training run of the day........in the middle of an 11 mile run.

Really hating you right now. :-)

Seriously, your VDOT must be about 55ish - that's serious stuff!

Seriously, your VDOT must be about 55ish - that's serious stuff!

My V what?? Must go look that up!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Great session. That's one of the most daunting runs in the P&D schedule and you absolutely nailed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Good news is that I’ll be around for all the great races here over the summer and will get to run the Cork City Marathon in my homeland!:)
    Yay!!! Another recruit for Cork! You can get the pints in while us slowpokes trudge around! :pac:
    3 miles easy
    1 mile cool-down

Those are savage splits, I'd need to be on a bike to get anything close to those speeds! I have a feeling you're going to pull of something pretty special in Rotterdam. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

That is incredible running lad. Really looking forward to these Bohermeen & Rotterdam race reports.

Btw, Chicago will be a great marathon. I spent quite a bit of time over there a few years back with my job. Definitely my favourite city in the US.

ncmc wrote: »
    Yay!!! Another recruit for Cork! You can get the pints in while us slowpokes trudge around! :pac:

Haha, don't think I'll be racing Cork, will be taking it easy and just enjoying it while getting another marathon under by belt!! :cool:

Haha, don't think I'll be racing Cork, will be taking it easy and just enjoying it while getting another marathon under by belt!! :cool:
    Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

J, great training going on here. Fair play to you.

Catch up with you next week in Bohermeen, well obviously not during the race :rolleyes: but after, if you hang around for a while:D:D

Younganne wrote: »
    J, great training going on here. Fair play to you.

Catch up with you next week in Bohermeen, well obviously not during the race :rolleyes: but after, if you hang around for a while:D:D

Thanks Anne, will see you up there at some point i'm sure..Ill make sure to look out for you!! Looking forward to it now!

Thursday
    14 miles MSR / 8:15 average pace

Had to get my long run over on a week night this week as I had to take the weekend off. Set off straight after work for a 6 mile loop and then my housemate joined me for the last 8 miles. I was glad of the company as it was tough out there on my own. Legs were tiring after about 10 miles still feeling the effects from the night before. Was glad to have it over and done with in the end.

Friday
    4 miles recovery / 9:02 average pace

Went out for a quick slow run yesterday evening to get legs loosened before my few days rest. Nothing exciting happened here!

Saturday, Sunday
    Rest :D

No chance of me going out today or tomorrow so that’s me done for the week! 11 days of consecutive runs :eek:, well happy with that!! Bit of a reunion tonight so will have a sore head tomorrow! As said earlier in the week it is good timing to give the legs a bit of rest bite anyway. Back to ‘work’ on Monday!! Got my Rotterdam number in the post this week, getting real now, 6 weeks to go!!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    5m|8m|16.1m|14m|4m|Rest|Rest

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    47.1m|169.4m|343.6m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Great work this week, consecutive sessions is no joke!

scriba wrote: »
    Great work this week, consecutive sessions is no joke!

+1 great running this week and now you can go out and enjoy yourself without feeling guilty.

Enjoy your couple of rest days and your night out... You've earned it!

Monday
    7 miles easy / 7:43 average pace
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 10/12

Back on the high horse after 2 days off and ready for the final stretch. Rest days were welcome and probably needed. Starting to break in my new runners for Rotterdam so will be using them on some of my runs over the next few weeks to get used to them, they should have about 150 miles or so in them on race day.

Ran for 5 miles before the core class and then 2 miles home after. Pace felt good and I was going a bit faster as it was bloody freezing!!! :eek:

Tuesday
    8.5 miles V02 Max / 7:40 average pace (incl. 6x600m @5k pace)

Started this one this evening and it was still bright! Lasted only about 10 mins before darkness arrived. Getting nearer to bright evenings though! Halleluiah! :D I set up the Garmin for the session and gave it a second chance, worked a treat this time!!:cool:

3 miles easy
    6 x 600m with 75secs recovery walk/jog (5:43, 5:43, 5:37, 5:48, 5:39, 5:32)
    2.5 miles easy/cool-down

Pace was a bit fast, need to be more disciplined in future.

I’m front loading my runs this week to give me a bit of rest for Bohermeen on Sunday. Going to race it full out and see what happens. I don’t have an exact target in mind, below 1:24 would be great, but what I do know, all going to plan, is that I will hopefully break my first 2013 target I set when I started this log come Sunday afternoon!:)

Also planned out my runs up to Rotterdam tonight, If I go to plan I’ll pass my total mileage for 2012 while trotting around Rotterdam in April. Nicely timed!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bohermeen is flat as courses go, steady rise at start for about a mile which is as bad as it gets incline wise from my memory. Easy going for a throughbred like you!! Best of luck & looking forward to a PB smashing report sometime Sunday evening.

• Advertisement

What Runners you get J?

You wearing any racing flats, like the other elites?

tang1 wrote: »
    Bohermeen is flat as courses go, steady rise at start for about a mile which is as bad as it gets incline wise from my memory. Easy going for a throughbred like you!! Best of luck & looking forward to a PB smashing report sometime Sunday evening.

Thanks tang, here's hoping!!!
    What Runners you get J?

You wearing any racing flats, like the other elites?

Ha, far from elite I am!!!!

Got the Inspire 9s at xmas but just broke them out there last week as I had a newish pair of Inspire 8's at the time also.

They are not racers but they feel like ones when comparing them to the 8's! :eek:

Much lighter and less support, I feel the ground alot more on impact now than I did previously, guess I'm just used to the old ones and it will take a while. Feels like the heel drop is lower on these by a bit. I must look that up....

Wednesday
    12 miles MSR / 8:06 average pace

Calves were like rocks for the first 2 miles of this, so much in fact I had to stop to stretch them out again. I think it is the new runners as the feet are not used to them yet. I was planning on using them for the race on Sunday but I think I will stick with the old reliable ones now. Don't want stiff calves after a couple of miles Sunday!! :eek:

That said, by the second half of the run they had loosened out and were fine. I struggled in every aspect for the first half of this run. A couple of miles in the middle I was nearly at recovery pace! :mad:

Then from somewhere I found some energy again and ran the last 4 miles at 7:40s which partly rescued the run.

Thursday
    Rest

Most of this week's work is done now. Just have a recovery run and then the race Sunday. Plenty stretching between now and then though! Today brings up the end of the month. Happy enough with the mileage, will hopefully get over the 200 mark next month!

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9

Best of luck for Sunday, there is no doubt that you'll have a fantastic run.
    Looking fwd to a great report that involves a sprint finish with a good shoulder nudge!

Friday
    5 miles recovery / 8:52 average pace

A really slow 5 miles at lunchtime yesterday to loosen out the legs for Sunday. 2 miles done on grass and 3 on the road. Legs feeling ok.

Saturday
    Rest

Drove down to Cork last night for night out with friends. Behaved myself and only had 4 drinks and went home early. Had to be done as I won't see them again for another 6 months. I also had drinks the Friday before Dungarvan, why break the recipe for success! ;) Work up this morning feeling fine and drove back up to Kilkenny, then onto Meath tomorrow. My poor car!!!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to tomorrow now. Might see some of you there. Hopefully things will go well. I'm number 64 so come up to say hello if ye see me. Target is 6:20 miles all the way!! Bring it!!!

Friday
    5 miles recovery / 8:52 average pace

A really slow 5 miles at lunchtime yesterday to loosen out the legs for Sunday. 2 miles done on grass and 3 on the road. Legs feeling ok.

Saturday
    Rest

Drove down to Cork last night for night out with friends. Behaved myself and only had 4 drinks and went home early. Had to be done as I won't see them again for another 6 months. I also had drinks the Friday before Dungarvan, why break the recipe for success! ;) Work up this morning feeling fine and drove back up to Kilkenny, then onto Meath tomorrow. My poor car!!!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to tomorrow now. Might see some of you there. Hopefully things will go well. I'm number 64 so come up to say hello if ye see me. Target is 6:20 miles all the way!! Bring it!!!

No bother to you j. Best of luck

What's going on?? You're obviously better at running than driving!

What's going on?? You're obviously better at running than driving!

It's on the way at some point tonight!! Go boil the kettle!!:P

It's on the way at some point tonight!! Go boil the kettle!!:P

I had 7 bottles of beer chilling in the fridge and a box of Pringles, in expectation of a night of epic reports. 3 bottles and half a box of Pringles later and I gotta say that the reports are few and far between!

• Advertisement

I had 7 bottles of beer chilling in the fridge and a box of Pringles, in expectation of a night of epic reports. 3 bottles and half a box of Pringles later and I gotta say that the reports are few and far between!

Ok save 3 and a 1/4 box of pringles for this one...I've a lot to say!!

Advertisement