Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SecureRom problem

Options
  • 24-11-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

HI all, i've just bought the original Bioshock for PC, intallation was going great until SecureRom error came up saying to insert disk, even though it was in.

So turns out there isa software conflict i think, i had MagicDisk installed ages ago but its long gone, i assume some remnants of it are still left and that is causing the conflict..

Is there anyway to either prove to SecureRom I have the disk or else remove anything my Magicdisk from my comp?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try downloading MagicDisc again here and then uninstall it. Hopefully the new magicdisc installer will fix the previous version so it can be removed. The Securom removal tool can be got here which is also a good idea.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

yoyo wrote: »
    Try downloading MagicDisc again here and then uninstall it. Hopefully the new magicdisc installer will fix the previous version so it can be removed. The Securom removal tool can be got here which is also a good idea.

Nick

Thanks but the problem still persists. Looks like I wasted my money buying this game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Steam might allow you to use the CD key to activate and download the game.
    Originally Posted by Steam
    Which retail / digital CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

Bioshock CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7

Baker87 wrote: »
    Thanks but the problem still persists. Looks like I wasted my money buying this game :(

Welcome to the world of DRM, causing problems only to the paying customers. You can contact Securom support here who may be able to help, otherwise the steam route may work just as well :)

Nick

Adyx wrote: »
    Steam might allow you to use the CD key to activate and download the game.

Where can I find the CD key?

• Advertisement

Welcome to the world of DRM, causing problems only to the paying customers. You can contact Securom support here who may be able to help, otherwise the steam route may work just as well :)

Nick

Ye its really really annoying, like I understand they want piracy protection but there should be some way of verifying that you have the CD...

Ye I also contacted SecurRom support but I am not too hopeful, they seem to require alot of complicated steps (in which i failed on step one, cannot find the .exe file in the game folder) so unless they accept soem simple form of proof I think i am in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Where can I find the CD key?
    On my copy of the game it's on the back of the manual. I have the retail disc which comes in a metal case and unfortunately it uses a CD key Steam won't accept for this game. You might have more luck though, especially if it's a newer version.

Ye its really really annoying, like I understand they want piracy protection but there should be some way of verifying that you have the CD...

Ye I also contacted SecurRom support but I am not too hopeful, they seem to require alot of complicated steps (in which i failed on step one, cannot find the .exe file in the game folder) so unless they accept soem simple form of proof I think i am in trouble.

I would ask them to provide you with a steam code as the retail protection solution is not working with your setup. Actually contacting 2k Games may be your best option at this point. I don't see how that would be an issue provided you can provide a photo/scan of the product key.
    From memory Bioshock has a protection that downloads some game files during the install, it may be this step your having problems with

Nick

I would ask them to provide you with a steam code as the retail protection solution is not working with your setup. Actually contacting 2k Games may be your best option at this point. I don't see how that would be an issue provided you can provide a photo/scan of the product key.
    From memory Bioshock has a protection that downloads some game files during the install, it may be this step your having problems with

Nick

Yes that is indeed the problem, the main installation seems to go ok, then it says downloading latest patch and thats when the error comes!

Problem is I dont know if I even have the product key...there was no manual in the box ( I assume its a Readme file) and there is nothing obvious on the box itself...i have the receipt etc but I doubt that will be enough?

Is there anywhere else the product key might be?

Cheers for your answer so far by the way

Advertisement