Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill reportedly offers resignation to Sunderland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

6a00d8341ca1bf53ef01127968f10228a4-800wi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bookies make Rafa odds on favourite to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

AVB to replace him ... there'll be a piece by Kate Cohen any minute now telling us why it would work. Stay tuned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Give it a few years and every manger in the premier could be an ex chelsea manager or coach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ESPN says it's not true but that he is meeting the owner over the weekend:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

ESPN says it's not true but that he is meeting the owner over the weekend:

In a Mark Hughes meeting with the QPR owner sort of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I have to say that I'm surprised he's done so badly this season. Are there behind the scenes issues beyond his control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm surprised he's done so badly this season. Are there behind the scenes issues beyond his control?

Yes, he's an awful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Super-Rush wrote: »

Agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's such a drama queen.

This will probably result in him getting more transfer funds.
    Their squad is poor imo, he could have done something about that instead of spending 25 million on 2 players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Vastly over-rated manager.

And to think he was being touted as a possible Man Utd manager once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Hasn't done anything since he left Celtic. His mistake leaving all his first team regulars behind when Villa were in the Europa league was Pathetic and then losing that weekend too. :rolleyes:

Since he has gone to the Mackems again he has done nothing. A over rated manager living on his past glories.

He clearly isn't an awful manager, as even a cursory glance of his track record will prove. He just isn't a great manager.

For whatever reason, he hasn't found any form with Sunderland. So I ask again, anything going on behind the scenes that people are aware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

He clearly isn't an awful manager, as even a cursory glance of his track record will prove. He just isn't a great manager.

For whatever reason, he hasn't found any form with Sunderland. So I ask again, anything going on behind the scenes that people are aware of?

Ah i must have missed all those big clubs fighting with each other for his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Hasn't done anything since he left Celtic. His mistake leaving all his first team regulars behind when Villa were in the Europa league was Pathetic and then losing that weekend too. :rolleyes:

Since he has gone to the Mackems again he has done nothing. A over rated manager living on his past glories.

Who got them into Europe in the first place? He did. Look where they were when he took over from O'Leary and look where they were when he left them: significantly higher up the table. The managers since him haven't exactly lit up the place.

Look where Sunderland where when he took over. He brought them on in a big way, so much so that Niall Quinn said the best thing he did at the club was get him as manager.

For some reason many on this forum have a bizarre hatred for the man. Maybe it's his Celtic connection because there seems to be a bizarre hatred for that club too.

I respect him on a personal and professional level. Too many people around here are too quick to denounce him without giving him any credit. As for him being an awful manager that is plainly inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fairly mediocre manager boosted by his media mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He has the best goal celebration for a manager though, give him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah he is so bad he took Wycombe from the conference to what is now known as league one and almost to the Championship in his last season there.

He won two league cups with Leicester and had four consecutive top ten finishes in the Premier League after getting them promoted.

He won multiple titles and got his Celtic team to the Uefa Cup final where they lost to Jose Mourinho's Porto team which went on to win the Champion's league the next year.

At Villa he had three consecutive sixth place finishes.

He took over at Sunderland last season when they were struggling and brought them to safety quite quickly.

Thats the sort of résumé that makes a bad manager.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Harry has declared interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

MoN seems to be one of these guys who attract a lot of cricitism for whatever reason. He's a good manager and his record will stand to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Sunderland fan here. He has done a great job since coming to the club. We've been unlucky this year and I believe we will click into place next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Sunderland fan here. He has done a great job since coming to the club. We've been unlucky this year and I believe we will click into place next week. :)

Next week under Di Matteo

Ah i must have missed all those big clubs fighting with each other for his services.

He's a good but limited manager. He's not a top champions league level manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

eagle eye wrote: »

:

Finishing in the same place with a shed load of money does not make you a good manager.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K-9 wrote: »
    Finishing in the same place with a shed load of money does not make you a good manager.

So what does finishing 8th after spending shed loads of money make you?

King Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

A complicated chap, wee Martin. Very good manager IMHO, but does attract severe criticism on the same issues such as style of play (counter attack with pacy wingers and a big man up top) and his infamous transfer deadline day deals where he picks up some odd signings that nobody else wants.

I'd still have him back at VP in a heartbeat, strange as that may seem, he was in charge of our best spell in over a decade. I concede that he made some poor financial deals that the club are now paying for dearly, but the lack of ambition at VP since his departure is quite apparent.

I do agree with the view that he is not a top manager in the Champion's League mould, but I think with a rich chairman willing to bankroll him he could learn to survive at that level. In the absence of a cash rich oil baron, 6th is as good as he can manage in the PL regardless of which club he is at. Still though, very surprised to hear things ain't rosy at Sunderland and it does raise questions about what's happening behind the scenes or if it's just an issue with the wife who we know was badly ill for an extended period of time.

If it's the latter, I don't think anyone would begrudge the man some time off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kirby wrote: »

King Kenny.

4sjfpi.png

King Kenny.

Huh, its a Martin O'Neill thread.

Are you lost?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    4sjfpi.png

He did, Kenny on Martin O'Neill thread.

I've seen some moronic posts in my time, but I haven't seen any more moronic posts than that, and there has been a few, bringing Kenny into a totally non related thread.

What a dumb post.

• Advertisement

Think you missed the point of that gif sport. :p

Also Rafa, AVB, 'Arry, RDM have also been mentioned. Didn't get your knickers in a twist about them, did ya?

On a more serious note, if you are going to use "money spent" as a stick to beat Martin O'Neill with, it can't be a surprise when people start comparing him to other managers. Messiah's aren't exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

The one ting I notice from speaking to people who are 'anti MON', is that they followed Celtic as their in the early naughties, but gave up because Scottish football is sh!t. The same 'fans' now are hardcore <insert UTD City Chelsea here>.

Think you missed the point of that gif sport. :p

You posted before the gif.

LOL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

MoN aint the worst. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah he is so bad he took Wycombe from the conference to what is now known as league one and almost to the Championship in his last season there.

He won two league cups with Leicester and had four consecutive top ten finishes in the Premier League after getting them promoted.

He won multiple titles and got his Celtic team to the Uefa Cup final where they lost to Jose Mourinho's Porto team which went on to win the Champion's league the next year.

He took over at Sunderland last season when they were struggling and brought them to safety quite quickly.

Thats the sort of résumé that makes a bad manager.:rolleyes:

What place do facts have in this thread, people don't like MoN therefore he is a ****e manager.

Reminds me of an interesting story from Gladwell's "Blink". The gist of it is in the U.S. you can predict how likely it is for a doctor to be sued for malpractice based on how likeable he is as opposed to how competent he is.

Cliffs: people are pretty dumb/irrational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sunderland are a lost cause. I don't know what it is with that club, but decent managers go there at times and when it comes to the Premier League, they just can't seem to get above and beyond an horrifically bad level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

MON is a great man manager and motivator but tactically isnt anywhere near the best in the business and is probably the worst manager ive seen in the transfer market bar Dalglish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sunderland are a lost cause. I don't know what it is with that club, but decent managers go there at times and when it comes to the Premier League, they just can't seem to get above and beyond an horrifically bad level.

Players aren't good enough. Jack Colback, Adam Johnson and James McClean simply are not good enough. Just changing these players could make a huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One thing I find funny is how people said Mancini was crazy for not playing Adam Johnson more then selling him, and now the same player is used as a stick with which to beat O'Neill's performance in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Adam Johnson is suffering from a total lack of confidence to me,it will be after Xmas before he starts to flourish once more.
    Yesterday he looked a bit better so Sunderland fans show show some patience with him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

A Martin O'Neill thread would not be complete without a word from Helix: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75799357&postcount=98

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Players aren't good enough. Jack Colback, Adam Johnson and James McClean simply are not good enough. Just changing these players could make a huge difference

I disagree with that, especially Johnson. I think he's quality. But it just seems that as soon as anyone goes there, they go to sh!t

Nothing behind the scenes Neil. He has full control of on the field matters when it comes to the football (not the finances though, as some people seem to think).

The problem is he hasn't got John Robertson IMO. It's like Brian Clough trying to work without Peter Taylor. Some managers just need their right hand man and O'Neill doesn't have his. It can't be a coincidence for me.
    monkey9 wrote: »

Agreed. We really are a graveyard. Give Fergie a job here and he'd ruin his reputation completely in about a year. I guess it doesn't help when we have had our rivals generally do much better than us over the years. It effects the mentality of the fans and in turn the players. We had our chance in January 2011 but the whole Darren Bent incident came about and we blew it. I don't know if we'll ever be in that sort of position to push on again (6th in the league with three quarters of the season played, 4 points above 7th). I do look back on that every now and again and think of how close we were to finally cracking things, but in true Sunderland style we blew it.

While I'm here, just a quick word on Adam Johnson for those discussing him. He's going from a situation where he's a very small part of a fantastic squad and playing 15 minutes here and there every couple of weeks, to a situation where he's expected to be our best player playing alongside mid-table/bottom half standard players and play 90 minutes every week. I can't imagine that's an easy thing to do at the top level. But he's improving. Over the last 3 weeks he's scored against Everton and provided an absolutely fantastic assist to Fletcher against Fulham. He's signed a four year deal, I'd be giving him at least two years before I write him off, not two months.

P.S. We really, really need a decent center midfielder to play alongside Cattermole. It's the key thing we are missing and I think you'd find our results would improve almost instantaneously if we had a capable, creative midfielder. Easier said than done I suppose. Look at the teams doing well who you would think we should be able to compete with. West Brom, Swansea, West Ham, Newcastle etc they all have excellent center midfielders and it's what we lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ITT Hyperbole.

Paully D wrote: »

P.S. We really, really need a decent center midfielder to play alongside Cattermole. It's the key thing we are missing and I think you'd find our results would improve almost instantaneously if we had a capable, creative midfielder. Easier said than done I suppose. Look at the teams doing well who you would think we should be able to compete with. West Brom, Swansea, West Ham, Newcastle etc they all have excellent center midfielders and it's what we lack.

Heads up, MON never signed a creative midfielder for Villa, it's all about the wingers. He did move Milner central which was the closest.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some people's inability to recognise that there's a level between the very best and the very worst is hilarious.

MON is a good manager, just not a great manager.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Nothing behind the scenes Neil. He has full control of on the field matters when it comes to the football (not the finances though, as some people seem to think).

The problem is he hasn't got John Robertson IMO. It's like Brian Clough trying to work without Peter Taylor. Some managers just need their right hand man and O'Neill doesn't have his. It can't be a coincidence for me.

Ah, that's possibly a key point. Robertson would have been integral to developing the likes of Ashley Young during his time at Villa. By accounts, he also took training most days.

Ah, that's possibly a key point. Robertson would have been integral to developing the likes of Ashley Young during his time at Villa. By accounts, he also took training most days.

Yep, he's a big loss I'd imagine. O'Neill has never been without him, and now that he's going through a somewhat difficult time he could use him most. Unfortunately I don't think John has any plans to come up to as far as the north-east as his family and are all settled in the midlands. It seems that O'Neill has also refused to appoint anyone other than Robertson as his number 2. The below quote was from last season and he did say if circumstances changed he'd look at it again in fairness, but as of yet he hasn't:
    "As things stand, though, I've no intention of appointing anyone as an assistant if it`s not John."

I remember reading something similar about the training and a poster on Villa Talk had a detailed post regarding training around about the time he took over at our place last year that I can't find but it was an interesting read.

Either way it looks like Robertson is a big loss.

Yep, he's a big loss I'd imagine. O'Neill has never been without him, and now that he's going through a somewhat difficult time he could use him most. Unfortunately I don't think John has any plans to come up to as far as the north-east as his family and are all settled in the midlands. It seems that O'Neill has also refused to appoint anyone other than Robertson as his number 2. The below quote was from last season and he did say if circumstances changed he'd look at it again in fairness, but as of yet he hasn't:

I remember reading something similar about the training and a poster on Villa Talk had a detailed post regarding training around about the time he took over at our place last year that I can't find but it was an interesting read.

Either way it looks like Robertson is a big loss.

Reason I asked about the behind the scenes thing, was that towards the end of MON's tenure at Villa, rumours started to surface regarding a circle of players who by accounts were very much holding the club to ransom regarding tactics, training, so on and so forth. All quite high paid, "established" players who didn't really want to train, didn't really want to adopt any new tactics, but just collect their pay and go home. MON was told to ship them on before further funds would be made available, whereupon he left his position. It then took Houllier, McLeish and finally Lambert to move them on. One or two officially aren't even gone yet.

But anyway, I look at some of the players on Sunderland's books and wonder whether there could be a repeat of this kind of carry on.

Reason I asked about the behind the scenes thing, was that towards the end of MON's tenure at Villa, rumours started to surface regarding a circle of players who by accounts were very much holding the club to ransom regarding tactics, training, so on and so forth. All quite high paid, "established" players who didn't really want to train, didn't really want to adopt any new tactics, but just collect their pay and go home. MON was told to ship them on before further funds would be made available, whereupon he left his position. It then took Houllier, McLeish and finally Lambert to move them on. One or two officially aren't even gone yet.

But anyway, I look at some of the players on Sunderland's books and wonder whether there could be a repeat of this kind of carry on.

That was a fairly unique situation, I couldn't see it happening again.

Give him a few years anyway...

MON is a good manager, just not a great manager.

Anyone else picture Eamonn dunphy saying that? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement