Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difficulty finding right boots after injury

• 24-11-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I fractured my left ankle in April and my ankle and leg are still swelling up to 2-3 times the size of my right leg. I have been informed that my lymph vessels have either been severely damaged or severed completely and that is what is stopping the fluid moving from my ankle and leg. Obviously all that is crap but aside from that, I am finding it extremely difficult to find new bike boots.

I have lace up TCX boots which I love but they're getting old and I've found that since my accident I need a bit more support, the TCX boots I have are quite short.

I've spent the past month or so trying on different brands of bike boots, none of which will fit me properly on my bad leg. I've tried RST boots in my size and the next size up and I've tried TCX boots in the next size up from mine. I do have the option with the TCX boots to have them modified (local dealer has kindly offered to help me sort this out) with a longer velcro strap to secure them on but if I can just get boots made for a wider calf that would be more desirable.

Does anyone have any advice on any brand that provides a particularly wide fit? I really don't mind what the price is because at this point the most important thing to me is just finding a pair of boots that fit me properly and will provide me with a bit of support in my bad leg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It would be worth your while talking to Altberg and see if they can adapt a boot for you or even do a custom made boot.
    Won't be cheap but these things are supposed to last for decades.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Dainese and Daytona both do a pretty loose fitting boot. Maybe have a look at their range. No point looking at something like Sidi as they're way too tight as standard. Hope you get sorted. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Get a cobbler to widen/lengthen the boot out by stretching it out with an adjustable shoe stretcher block.

I had this done many years ago,after an operation to repair my leg/foot.

Worked a treat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could get custom Daytona boots made? They are made in Germany and take 6 weeks to get made and cost about 30% more than standard off the shelf boots.
    try daytona.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Have you tried a trail\rally style boot with a couple of clasps at the ankle? Might be more adjustable and is likely to offer more support. BMW, Sidi, Hein Gericke sell them.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/hein-gericke-rallye-iii-gore-texr-stiefel-19462.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Have you tried a trail\rally style boot with a couple of clasps at the ankle? Might be more adjustable and is likely to offer more support. BMW, Sidi, Hein Gericke sell them.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/hein-gericke-rallye-iii-gore-texr-stiefel-19462.html

The TCX ones I'm thinking of having modified are that style, they're the infinity goretex. The clasps are great but I can't get the velcro part closed with the swelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The TCX ones I'm thinking of having modified are that style, they're the infinity goretex. The clasps are great but I can't get the velcro part closed with the swelling.
    I have a pair of Probiker boots with the lace up and velcro. My calves are also big and I have difficulty getting the velcro closed on them.
    My solution was to get a sheet of cordura and sew a big patch of velcro to make an extension for the velcro.

Advertisement