Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hints for dealing with Devil Pomeranian

• 24-11-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I am in serious need of help, in regards to my mother's spoiled Pomeranian puppy.

The dog is completely spoiled.

She barks constantly - when I leave the house and come back, she turns vicious - snarling at me, barking at me, and even attacking me. Sometimes, even if I just leave the room for a few minutes and re-enter, it is enough to bring on this vicious bout.

When I am in my bedroom, and I cough or even speak, she turns vicious in the sitting room - snarling and barking. The same is true for all the male members of my family. Although, she loves the female members. In fact, when my girlfriend enters the house, she runs to her, rubbing against her legs and panting. But when she spots me she turns vicious, puts her tail in the air, goes to any female in the room and howls and barks at me or any other male family member/guest.

She eats everything, her favourite thing being toilet-paper. When locked in the garden, she climbs onto the boiler-house, onto the window ledge, then jumps through the bathroom window and eats all the toilet paper.

She is completely attached to my mother. When my mother leaves, she loses her head; she pulls all of the cushions off of the chairs, turns flower pots and flower stands upside down, and even rips bits of wallpaper from the walls. When finished this, she repeatedly hurls herself against the door with all of her force until she collapses.

She is tearing the family apart. We need some advice on how to take these horrible traits out of her.

She is treated with all the love and respect that you could imagine, yet she insists on being this way.

We have tried slapping her on the nose, but that makes her more vicious.

We have tried squirting her with a water pistol, but that makes her more vicious, also.

We have tried ignoring her, but she keeps biting us until we get mad, and she gets the result that she is looking for.

I have been told that this is simply how Pomeranians act, and I have to get used to it. But this is ridiculous.

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What age is this dog?

And what training/structure has she had?

Slapping/spraying with water is pointless, and slapping her on the nose is also imo cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think you need to call in a proper behaviourist, if you let us know where you are in the country we could give you recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Stheno wrote: »
    What age is this dog?

And what training/structure has she had?

Slapping/spraying with water is pointless, and slapping her on the nose is also imo cruel.

Just slightly over a year.

I can't put in place any training, as when I or the rest of the family leave, my mother spoils her with treats and so on.

We tried getting down on her level and shouting no, but she just bites our faces viciously.

I and the rest of the male members tried ignoring, as stated, but she bites and bites and bites, very hard, until she gets a response.

- Toomanydogs, I live in Carlow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think you need to call in a proper behaviourist, if you let us know where you are in the country we could give you recommendations.

+1
    OP, you have wayyyy too much going on there for any meaningful advice to be given here.
    So yes, definitely +1 that a good behaviourist is needed here, but because Ireland is full of cowboy, self-appointed "behaviourists", with any luck you live near a genuine one who someone here can recommend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DBB wrote: »
    +1
    OP, you have wayyyy too much going on there for any meaningful advice to be given here.
    So yes, definitely +1 that a good behaviourist is needed here, but because Ireland is full of cowboy, self-appointed "behaviourists", with any luck you live near a genuine one who someone here can recommend.

Agree with this, however given what OP has said about his mother, I'd be doubtful of any real progress being made.

OP I do have to say that your behaviour of slapping/squirting, and shouting in the dogs face are in no way helping here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

- Toomanydogs, I live in Carlow.

Thanks be to jebus you live in the catchment of one of Ireland's best! Sounds like Ye need it, there's a whole lot of conflict going on here between dog and humans! And a reality check for mum!
    Emmaline Duffy-Fallon of www.citizencanineireland.com
    Good luck!

Advertisement