Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Behaving in a dignified manner?

• 24-11-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Why has it become so under-rated? As an offshoot from a thread in another forum, why has trashy and undignified behaviour become so acceptable in society? Why has the lad/ ladette culture taken precedence in our culture?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

fúck off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Call me undignified again and I'll break your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

cantdecide wrote: »
    why has trashy and undignified behaviour become so acceptable in society?

You're from Cork? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Students always did things like that, its just that with in on the internet people act for the cameras. Girls have become more laddish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

i blame the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Because being an undignified idiot is glamourised on shít TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

But who decides what "dignified" behaviour is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Can I take photos of my penis and store it on my phone and still be dignified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Aoifey! wrote: »
    But who decides what "dignified" behaviour is?

Well I for one can't decide...

Before some smartarse cracks that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

It's down to respect or more accurately respect for yourself. If you don't have it you won't have it for anyone else.
    It shines out of a person that lacks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

cantdecide wrote: »
    Why has the lad/ ladette culture taken precedence in our culture?

You can trace a lot of it back to the 90's Britpop movement imo. In particular with the rise of Liam Gallagher as a youth culture icon. Acting out in public like a drunken football hooligan became the thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Rap music and/or violent video games and movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Gravitas is another one. I've none, and not much dignity left either. I tend to dress like a refugee from an episode of swamp loggers and am usually up to my neck in broken machinery.

I get asked almost daily if the boss is around.. In B&Q people ask me "do you work here?". I also get asked far too often "You're the Boss????" for my liking.

I have given up on being dignified and am settling for some semblance of normality, which usually eludes me as well. Dignified is a state of being I am not apparently destined to ever reach. I'm gonna follow this thread for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

There is a theory that if society over-focuses on equality we end up with minimum standards being seen as the only standards.

In effect we start to put the lowest common denominator on a pedestal because we're so pre-occupied with some people not being better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Students always did things like that, its just that with in on the internet people act for the cameras. Girls have become more laddish though.
    nummnutts wrote: »
    Because being an undignified idiot is glamourised on shít TV shows.
    Spiritual wrote: »
    It's down to respect or more accurately respect for yourself. If you don't have it you won't have it for anyone else.
    You can trace a lot of it back to the 90's Britpop movement imo. In particular with the rise of Liam Gallagher as a youth culture icon. Acting out in public like a drunken football hooligan became the thing to do.

Rap music and/or violent video games and movies.
    There is a theory that if society over-focuses on equality we end up with minimum standards being seen as the only standards.

In effect we start to put the lowest common denominator on a pedestal because we're so pre-occupied with some people not being better than others.

^ All above have some elements of truth in them which add to the bigger picture .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

People were saying the same thing 3000 years ago, OP. Can you explain that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I agree. No funny business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Geordie Shore and Project X. Being a ****ing eejit is all the rage with the kidz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

leggo wrote: »
    Geordie Shore and Project X. Being a ****ing eejit is all the rage with the kidz.

Being an eejit is not the preserve of just the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There is a novel called "Beyond This Horizon", where one of the recurring themes is that an armed society is a polite society. The concept is that you are likely to be polite to people who are capable of killing you easily.

Col. Jeff Cooper
    popularised the concept, apparently. He was of the belief that when many people were armed in Wild West America, that they were far more polite to each other.

What I take from this is that people will be polite when there are consequences for them if they are not.

Despite scaremongering by tabloids, we have never lived in a safer society than today.

People have little reason to fear for their lives these days.

People have become blasé.

Some people have become degenerates. I cannot remember seeing people dressed in their pajamas in supermarkets in this country ten years ago.

Societal standards are slipping inevitably downwards.

Here is an example of The Horror that awaits:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Being an eejit is not the preserve of just the kids.

I spent some months in France this year + there was little of the acceptance of chav behaviour we put up with + accept here.

Its like the household tax + water charges - you get what you settle for or dont protest against.

As some OP said - if we continually bow to the lowest common denominator thats what we will have as normal or acceptable.

You have to speak up against chav.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Bad parenting, Bad environment, Bad role models, Lack of attentions, Lack of love, Bad tv shows and movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

That's a stupid saying that bears no truth in real life.

Advertisement