Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a varnished Stairs

• 24-11-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi, i just bought my first home - a 3 bed semi, the stairs, doors, skirting are finished with varnish. i'm looking to paint all the wood work starting with the stairs (handrail & balusters). whats the best way to do this?
    From what i've read so far - sand down the varnish, first coat i should use a primer/sealer, then an undercoat and finally finish with satinwood/gloss. is this generally the procedure or have i missed out on something? would an acrylic based finish be suitable for stairs? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

hi, i just bought my first home - a 3 bed semi, the stairs, doors, skirting are finished with varnish. i'm looking to paint all the wood work starting with the stairs (handrail & balusters). whats the best way to do this?
    From what i've read so far - sand down the varnish, first coat i should use a primer/sealer, then an undercoat and finally finish with satinwood/gloss. is this generally the procedure or have i missed out on something? would an acrylic based finish be suitable for stairs? Thanks

E.S.P. the entire stairs first
    Then fill/sand any rough parts
    Give it a coat of BIN primer
    Check for anymore filling/caulking
    than 2 coats of satin/gloss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Interested in doing this also.......
    Michael999999999, can I ask what is E.S.P.?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

oinkely wrote: »
    thanks

http://www.igoe.ie/esp-painting-shiny-smooth-surfaces
    ESP for Painting Shiny / Smooth Surfaces - ESP Primer makes paint stick to shiny surfaces without sanding or mess. As seen on Changing Rooms and other popular TV Make Over shows. One can covers about 20 sq yards / average medium sized kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

+1 on ESP iv used it before on a well wearing sink top and it worked a treat. It saved alot of messing around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

oinkely wrote: »
    thanks

Its an etch primer, it has the same effect as sanding. You simply wipe down anything you wish to paint with ESP on a rag. Its the same consistency as water. Its excellent for use on fitted kitchens, fireplaces or anything with a shiny finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement