Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 8 pro fresh install 64 bit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

yes, but do you qualify for a windows upgrade? Do you have a windows 7, vista or XP key? Upgrading to windows 8 Pro is only 30 euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

yes, but do you qualify for a windows upgrade? Do you have a windows 7, vista or XP key? Upgrading to windows 8 Pro is only 30 euro's.

thanks i have an xp key but i dont really want to be messing around with upgrades ,

would i have to install xp first? then upgrade to 8?

and do this everytime i need to reinstall windows?

You don't have to. Once you upgrade to 8 you can do a full fresh install from with in window 8. You won't need reinstall XP every time to do this.

You don't have to. Once you upgrade to 8 you can do a full fresh install from with in window 8. You won't need reinstall XP every time to do this.

well i haven't even got xp installed now, i think there was a problem with activating it last time i tried using the key i have so im a little afraid that there may be a problem with the key

id be getting it as a present so price dont really matter :)

think i could avoid a lot of potential problems if i just got the fresh install disc

thanks for the help anyway ,ill have to think about it

If you can get XP installed on your the system then the upgrade assistant will give you the option to put windows instillation onto a USB (its the same as an install disk). You then can boot from the USB and do your full fresh install. If you need to do a re-install in the future you can either do it through window 8 or the USB were you have the bootable install of 8. It's crazy to waste 110 euro's if you don't have too.

• Advertisement

If you can get XP installed on your the system then the upgrade assistant will give you the option to put windows instillation onto a USB (its the same as an install disk). You then can boot from the USB and do your full fresh install. If you need to do a re-install in the future you can either do it through window 8 or the USB were you have the bootable install of 8. It's crazy to waste 110 euro's if you don't have too.

if i remember correctly, the last time i installed xp it wouldn't even let me go to windows update because the version i had was too old or something

if i buy a windows 8 upgrade for xp ,it mightn't work

thats what im afraid of

The upgrade assistant will check to see if your system will run windows 8 and if you qualify for the upgrade. If you do then it will proceed to the purchase part. So, MS won't take your money first then say it can't be done. MS have not been strict when upgrading to windows 8. I got windows 8 pro for €14.99. That was the, if you bought a new PC in the last few months deal. But, for the first few days they weren't even checking so, I got it for that price. I had a friend that dug up an old PC to get XP off it and use it for an upgrade. I even know a few people that have upgraded pirated copies of windows 7 to 8. I would try it and see how you get on. You will loose nothing if it doesn't work.

The upgrade assistant will check to see if your system will run windows 8 and if you qualify for the upgrade. If you do then it will proceed to the purchase part. So, MS won't take your money first then say it can't be done. MS have not been strict when upgrading to windows 8. I got windows 8 pro for €14.99. That was the, if you bought a new PC in the last few months deal. But, for the first few days they weren't even checking so, I got it for that price. I had a friend that dug up an old PC to get XP off it and use it for an upgrade. I even know a few people that have upgraded pirated copies of windows 7 to 8. I would try it and see how you get on. You will loose nothing if it doesn't work.

i see

i guess ill have to check it out so and see how it goes before i buy

im running the windows 8 64 bit trial now so it should run ok

thanks again for all the help

i think its letting me upgrade from the windows 8 preview

is this normal?

i did have legal copy of xp installed on this machine before

• Advertisement

will i get 64 bit if i order through the upgrade assistant?

also can i make a bootable dvd from the 2gb download?

You're better off making a bootable USB it's the same as a DVD disc. It also very easy to do with the assistant.
    What version of windows 8 preview are you running now? 32bit or 64 bit?

You're better off making a bootable USB it's the same as a DVD disc. It also very easy to do with the assistant.
    What version of windows 8 preview are you running now? 32bit or 64 bit?

running 64 bit now and would like to keep it that way

i dont have a usb drive but have blank dvds, must be just as easy with dvd is it?

running 64 bit now and would like to keep it that way

i dont have a usb drive but have blank dvds, must be just as easy with dvd is it?

OK, that's good:) It will install the 64 bit version. Because, Upgrade Adviser only provides you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you’re currently using.

Not sure but, I think it does give you the option to copy to a DVD as well.

Also, remember to get the free Windows 8 Pro Media Center Pack. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/feature-packs

The Offer is only valid until January 31, 2013.

OK, that's good:) It will install the 64 bit version. Because, Upgrade Adviser only provides you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you’re currently using.

Not sure but, I think it does give you the option to copy to a DVD as well.

well the dvd copy is 15 euro extra but thats pointless if i can make my own

well the dvd copy is 15 euro extra but thats pointless if i can make my own

They give you the option to" install now or save to USB". I'm not sure but, you might also be able to also save it to a DVD. Can you get hold of a USB drive? There so cheap now. http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_Transcend_JetFlash_300_USB2_0_Flash_Drive/index.html

They give you the option to" install now or save to USB". I'm not sure but, you might also be able to also save it to a DVD. Can you get hold of a USB drive? There so cheap now. http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_Transcend_JetFlash_300_USB2_0_Flash_Drive/index.html

yeah i guess i could get one,

will i need it the first time i upgrade?

is the download an iso file?

thanks for all the help!

Yeah, it's an ISO

• Advertisement

im on pro!

all plain sailing!

thanks uncle

get ya a pint sometime

Advertisement