Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window Painting, Festive CHRISTMAS

• 24-11-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello folks, I`ve recently started painting windows for family.
    But now I`ve being approached to paint a shop and hotel windows for Christmas. I don't know what paints to use for outside window painting. I'm using acrylics at the moment. Have no idea what to do , I need the money not working this last year so this could get me back in the game. Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Micheal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How will you get acrylics off after Christmas? I've never done it but I had the impression people used something like tempera paint on the inside of the window, so it could be washed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bokofinn

Scrapper blade , comes off beautifully. Don`t know bout tempera paints in Irish climate???

bokofinn wrote: »
    Scrapper blade , comes off beautifully. Don`t know bout tempera paints in Irish climate???

You paint on the inside of the window

looksee wrote: »

Now that's helpfull . If you read what I was asking I was looking to see if anyone knew what to use painting the OUTSIDE of the windows . Thanks for having a look though .

looksee wrote: »

Now that's helpfull . If you read what I was asking I was looking to see if anyone knew what to use painting the OUTSIDE of the windows . Thanks for having a look though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 janekelly7777

Hi,

I know is a type of painting that transform into an sticker, maybe you can use that outside. I think it's called window sticker glue, hope this works for you!

Hi,

I know is a type of painting that transform into an sticker, maybe you can use that outside. I think it's called window sticker glue, hope this works for you!
    Thank you Jane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We used to mix poster paint with washing up liquid, paint on the inside, it paints on opaque and washes off easily.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We used to mix poster paint with washing up liquid, paint on the inside, it paints on opaque and washes off easily.

The OP wants to paint on the outside of the window - see his reply:

Originally Posted by looksee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

The only paint that I know of to be water proof outside is glass paint but it doesnt come off easily at all as its designed to be permanent. It would have to be removed with vast amounts of white spirits and a lot of scrubbing .

There is a peelable glass paint that is like a sticker but its not water proof only wipeable and can be picked off- its usually used on the inside of a window or on the outside of vases etc

Has the business specificaly asked that the image is on the outside ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Hi, I know you are looking to paint on the outside of the window, but just a thought, unless the customer has specificially asked for the painting to be on the outside of the window you might be as well to consider painting on the inside. Apart from weather considerations, if it is on the outside, people could stratch bits of it off so it might end up looking very tatty before the time comes when they plan on taking it down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

Using acrylics on the outside (or inside) works best. Use a paint scraper to get them off and it comes off easy. Glass paint is usually permanent...and the peel-off glass paint is awkward and only good for small designs. Poster paint/temperas not the best idea as even on the inside if there is condensation it'll be a mess.

So yeah, acrylics on the outside, paint scraper to remove. Easy

Advertisement