Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

945 is x4 too, just lower clock (3GHz for 945 and 3.4GHz for 965). If you need it for upgrade, go ahead with 965, if you think about building all PC, go for Intel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Would an i3 be better than the 965? really cant afford an i5 at the minute. Budget for my gaming pc is 420 max.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056814387

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If you think you might upgrade to an i5 in the future then get the i3. You could always sell the i3 if you do upgrade. If it was me I go with Intel and the 1155 socket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have one myself that I bought over two years ago paired together with an AMD HD4870 and I can safely say I have yet to encounter a game where it is my CPU that what is holding me back. I plan on pairing it up with a HD 7850 soon and knocking at least another 18 months out of it at least.

There is no denying it is firmly a mid division CPU by now, but like I said in the other thread I think that AM3+ is a good bet on your budget given that the i3 would take up about 1/4 of your budget by itself. Were it even 100 euro more I'd probably give Intel the nod.

Working on the assumption that Steamroller will see a decent performance improvement, and ought to get up around the performance level of the current 1555 Intels, I think it is a reasonable option for you.

Unfortunately I only have an AM3 motherboard so I am at the end of the upgrade line myself. :o

There is a decent argument for an i3, but the fact that you can get the 965 for about 20 less than an i3 and the motherboard works out a little cheaper too, makes me think it is the way to go on a 420 budget.

In terms of the 945 vs 965 the latter BE edition can also be overclocked, so that is another plus point in its favour (About 3.9 GHz should be achievable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Yea thanks for the reply.I think thats the build you can get 420. Can always update the graphics card down the line. Is it hard to overclock Amd processors?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

areyawell wrote: »
    Yea thanks for the reply.I think thats the build you can get 420. Can always update the graphics card down the line. Is it hard to overclock Amd processors?

Nope pretty much the same as the Intels, just change the clockspeed multiplier in the bios.

Advertisement