Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Alarm

Options
  • 25-11-2012 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭

Looking to install a security alarm in my house. Maybe put in sensors and a camera.

I was at home this evening and a car pulled up outside. When i switched on the hall light, they tore off down the driveway. I rang the Gardai and they told me that three houses were just after being burgled in the area. I got the reg of the car, but the Gardai said it was a fake number plate. I live in the country side.

Any recommendations on alarms and such like? I really dont know where to start with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Is the house wired for an alarm
    I've a HKC system in mine
    You can have just about everything wireless
    Have a look at the comparison threads
    I'd suggest getting at least two cameras . One at your gate and one at the back of the house . .. It's better to have them as you have a better chance of catching them if they were to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Is the house wired for an alarm
    I've a HKC system in mine
    You can have just about everything wireless
    Have a look at the comparison threads
    I'd suggest getting at least two cameras . One at your gate and one at the back of the house . .. It's better to have them as you have a better chance of catching them if they were to get in.

No, its an old house. At least eight houses were broken into last night around my area all around the same time. I'm very lucky i was here at all, i'm usually in Dublin. I was only home for a friends funeral.

I'll have a look at the comparison thread thanks, i'm going to definitely rig up cameras and more security lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Alarms are a useful deterrant but since your in country they have more time before anyone responds . Where as in an estate they have to be quick as the next door neighbour could be the key holder . That is if they go near the alarmed house . Cameras . Good Locks and closed gates along with an alarm for when your home at night would be your best bet . And you can log into most dvrs to view cameras so if your away and your alarm does go off you can have the alarm set up to text you and then log in on your smart phone to view the cameras .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Alarms are a useful deterrant but since your in country they have more time before anyone responds . Where as in an estate they have to be quick as the next door neighbour could be the key holder . That is if they go near the alarmed house . Cameras . Good Locks and closed gates along with an alarm for when your home at night would be your best bet . And you can log into most dvrs to view cameras so if your away and your alarm does go off you can have the alarm set up to text you and then log in on your smart phone to view the cameras .

Yeah, the gardai were saying that even if they were lights on in the house and no one answered the door they would probably break in. I switched on a light to answer the door and they scarpered. They beeped the horn of their car to warn the rest of the gang who were robbing a house down the road.

I'm going to look into getting cameras and the whole she bang. Apparently you can view them through your smart phone remotely.

Cops were saying they'd only be after jewellery or money. Both of which i have none of, but i wouldnt want the bastards destroying my house.

Advertisement