Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC in Janaury

Options
  • 25-11-2012 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I am considering a 2 day stopover in NYC in January. What is the weather like? prtety cold id imagine. Is it a waste of a stopover - better stopover somewhere warmer like LA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Average highs in New York in January are about 3 or 4. I don't know if it would be a waste, depends on yourself really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We did two consecutive January trips to NY in the past 5 years. Same day was 16c one year and -10c the next. Hard to predict but most likely to be cold like you've never known.

Doesn't really affect stuff in the city though, unlike here they are prepared for cold and snow and life goes on. NYC is easily navigated on foot or using public transport. Same does not apply to LA, you really need a car there as there is no city centre as such. I'd choose NY any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tfker

More than likely it will be ****in freezin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It'll be Cold but New York City is amazing any time of the year. Being there when there's snow on the ground is pretty special. They know how to deal with the cold and you can get around easily.

LA in janurary is pretty variable. Its not going to be cold but it could be wet, and it wont be sun bathing weather anyway (unless you've just arrived from alaska). And as athtrasna says you'll have to have car.

If its just warmth you're after you could stop over in Florida?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you'll be shopping/going to the theatre/museums, you'll be fine. Just don't plan on spending long periods outdoors because there's a good chance it will be well below freezing so I'd not plan on wandering around Central Park or visiting Ground Zero. When you look out the hotel window in the morning you may be deceived by brilliant sunshine which in Ireland guarantees temperatures above zero, not so in NYC where a chill NE wind from Canada can keep the temperature well below zero regardless of cloud or clear skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

where is your stopover on the way to?.......there's a hugh geographically difference between NYC and LA

Advertisement