Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods no more LaserCards(Maestro)

Options
  • 25-11-2012 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Went to make a payment today, only to find they don't except my Laser Card anymore, message reads
    Sorry, unfortunately we can only accept Maestro cards that are 3D secure. If your card is not 3D secure please use an alternative card or method of payment

Anyone else getting that message?... I'm hoping this is just some glitch as its a load of sh*te having to go to the post office...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well, Laser cards are due to be fully phased out and replaced by Visa Debit cards by January at the latest. You should ask your Bank why your has not yet been replaced with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Well, Laser cards are due to be fully phased out and replaced by Visa Debit cards by January at the latest. You should ask your Bank why your has not yet been replaced with one.

I will but the only bank I heard of doing that was AIB and first rumors started 2 years ago... Is it written in stone somewhere that Laser cards will be gone by February. I'm with National Irish Bank and just received this card as a replacement from November to 2013, I've already used this card including purchases of Littlewoods... Its just from today I noticed Littlewoods no long excepting it? magic:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I thought Laser was only being phased out in favour of Maestro - they aren't the same thing. Ireland had Laser and UK had Switch whereas the rest of Europe had Maestro - bringing is into line was all they were doing as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with Littlewoods and ask them what's going on. Also get in touch with your bank, and ask when you are getting your VISA debit card. Permanent TSB and Bank of Ireland have already rolled out VISA debit to most of their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OneIdea wrote: »
    I will but the only bank I heard of doing that was AIB and first rumors started 2 years ago... Is it written in stone somewhere that Laser cards will be gone by February. I'm with National Irish Bank and just received this card as a replacement from November to 2013, I've already used this card including purchases of Littlewoods... Its just from today I noticed Littlewoods no long excepting it? magic:(
    NIB (or Danske Bank as it's now known) are the only bank that still issue Laser. AIB, BOI, EBS, Ulster Bank and Permanent TSB have all switched to Visa Debit. It's most likely that the Laser scheme will fold up in 2013

Danske are an unknown, it's not even certain that they'll keep the personal banking side of the business open. They recently closed all their branches: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1114/national-irish-bank-danske-bank.html

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

My consumer issue is not with my bank... laser cards will be around for at least another year in my opinion.., my issue is with littlewoods who as of today still mention Laser Card as a method of payment... anyway I have messaged both bank and littlewoods this morning I'll reply back with their responses if any when I get one.

It is of course still early in this thread and right now I'm more interested in knowing if anyone else has the same issues as myself.

Thanks for the replies thus far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not me I prefer not to to pay over the odds for everything I buy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

My consumer issue is not with my bank... laser cards will be around for at least another year in my opinion.., my issue is with littlewoods who as of today still mention Laser Card as a method of payment... anyway I have messaged both bank and littlewoods this morning I'll reply back with their responses if any when I get one.

It is of course still early in this thread and right now I'm more interested in knowing if anyone else has the same issues as myself.

Your Laser card can be used on site that require 3D secure once it is a Maestro card. Laser (Maestro) cards are processed through the “MasterCard® SecureCode™” element of 3D Secure.

If you follow the link from here: http://www.nationalirishbank.ie/en-ie/Personal/Day-to-day/cards/Secure-Online-Shopping/Pages/Secure-Online-Shopping.aspx you can register your Maestro Card for MasterCard® SecureCode™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Went to make a payment today, only to find they don't except my Laser Card anymore, message reads

Anyone else getting that message?... I'm hoping this is just some glitch as its a load of sh*te having to go to the post office...

Littlewoods are based in the UK. They have never been able to accept laser card payments.

If your card has 16 digits on the front then they can accept the payment, if not then they can't.

You can use mybills.ie with a laser card for littlewoods payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

You should be thankful op visa offers you far more security particularly when things don't go as planned.and with little woods it happens quiet regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Laser cards are only usable as Maestro cards at points of sale, not online.

Generally;
    Maestro logo at back: point of sale only
    Maestro logo at front: online too

If Littlewoods don't accept it anymore there's no way you can "force" them to accept it.

opps meant to get back to this... my bank inform me that they have no immediate plans to scrap Laser.. but they will be introducing visa debit some time next year...

My laser card is now working again on Littlewoods... I have no explanation only to report that the staff at Littlewoods told me I'm not the only person to experience problems. I can only hazard a guess at, it might have had something to do with my banks name change and Littlewoods credit card vendor.

Advertisement