Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined house in the Galtee Mountains?

Options
  • 25-11-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Okay so I'm planning on doing a weekend expedition on the Galtees with a few others over the Christmas, I did it a few years ago and on the Friday night we stayed between the two lakes at grid ref: R 922 245 or so, then on the Saturday we went up Farbreaga, along the ridge over Galtybeg and Galtymore and came down on the ridge to the south of Carrignabinnia I think it's in one of those valleys on either side of the ridge we camped by a ruined house at the confluence of two streams, I can't find the route card we made for the last time and it's not marked on the map and there are a million and one confluences in that general area, so does anyone have any idea where it is or even better if they have the grid reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Sorry for delay in replying but I had to seach out an old route card.
    Would the place you're thinking of be a stream junction on the Glounreagh River at approx Grid Ref, R867 220

I descended to there on a 215 bearing from Galtee Mor. There are three prominent trees to aim for. I do remember a ruined building and thinking it would make a good camping spot.

We finished the route by crossing the stream and following a track SE through forestry for about 1.5km to some farm buildings, then taking a rising track on the right back to the car at R869 196

The start of the walk was up Pigeon Rock Glen to Knockaterriff, then Lyracappul, Carrignabinnia, Cushnabinnia and finally Galtee Mor.

Hope this helps and if it's not the right place it might be worth checking out if you're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

acorn wrote: »
    Sorry for delay in replying but I had to seach out an old route card.
    Would the place you're thinking of be a stream junction on the Glounreagh River at approx Grid Ref, R867 220

I descended to there on a 215 bearing from Galtee Mor. There are three prominent trees to aim for. I do remember a ruined building and thinking it would make a good camping spot.

We finished the route by crossing the stream and following a track SE through forestry for about 1.5km to some farm buildings, then taking a rising track on the right back to the car at R869 196

The start of the walk was up Pigeon Rock Glen to Knockaterriff, then Lyracappul, Carrignabinnia, Cushnabinnia and finally Galtee Mor.

Hope this helps and if it's not the right place it might be worth checking out if you're in the area.

Yeah that fits to general area I remember it to be! I think though that we didn't head straight of Galtee Mor instead we contoured around and came down from the other side. Anyway even if it isn't the exact place it fits perfectly for a place to camp on our route!

Advertisement