Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2012 Discussion

Options
  • 25-11-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

So, would people be interested in doing the user chosen Rock & Metal awards again this year?

There wasn't a massive amount of voting last year so I don't know whether it'd be worthwhile to do it again.

These kinds of things can be great if it encourages some discussion and general forum activity but at the same time it won't be very good if there's bands/albums winning with only 2 or 3 votes due to no one voting.

I'd like to see it go ahead so my question to you is would you be interested and take the time to vote if we did run it?

These were the catagories last year

Metal Album of the Year:
    Rock Album of the Year:
    Metal Band of the Year:
    Rock Band of the Year:
    Irish Band of the Year:
    New Band of the Year:
    Shock of the Year:
    Talking Point of the Year:
    Video of the Year:
    Disappointment of the Year:
    Song of the Year:
    Album Lifetime Achievement Award:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I'd love to see it go ahead this, it's always something to look forward to at the end of the year in this forum, along with the gig of the year voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I'd love to see it go ahead this, it's always something to look forward to at the end of the year in this forum, along with the gig of the year voting.

Agree with Knifey Spoony,I look forward to it also.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd like it to go forward too. I felt there was too much genre splitting last year, but most people seemed to be in favour of it *shrugs*

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looking forward to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'll cast a few votes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Joe_Dull and I will win this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Ok, well it's good to see some interest.

Do people have any suggestions for the categories? Anything that should be added/removed?

I do think there can be some issues with defining what fits in the metal band/album and what fits in the rock bands/albums. In that sense I think a general Album of the Year, would be better, but it does limit the amount of winners.
    It's nice to have a couple of winning bands and albums.

Thoughts?

Yeah I agree with that. I'd also like an Irish 'release' of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm in also, album lifetime achievement what's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Yeah I agree with that. I'd also like an Irish 'release' of the year.

Great idea! Definitely need an Irish release of the year.

I'm in also, album lifetime achievement what's that?

Going by last year, it'd be for albums over 25 years old. So from 1987 and back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Maybe instead of the album lifetime achievement award, there could be a reissued album award?

Would then keep the award relevent to 2012 as it would have to be rock/metal albums that were reissued in that calendar year rather than just people picking their fave albums that are over 25 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Joe_Dull and I will win this year.

Together, we are unstoppable.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of the album lifetime achievement award, there could be a reissued album award?

Would then keep the award relevent to 2012 as it would have to be rock/metal albums that were reissued in that calendar year rather than just people picking their fave albums that are over 25 years old.

I agree that album lifetime achievement is a funny one, cause it's essentially "really great old album" and it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I don't like the idea of "reissue of the year" either, if it were upto me I'd scrap it altogether and replace it band lifetime achievement award, so to qualify the band has to have a great legacy but still have had an awesome tour/release/major influence in 2012.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Together, we are unstoppable.

We must unite and all that :pac:

Kess73 wrote: »

I agree that album lifetime achievement is a funny one, cause it's essentially "really great old album" and it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I don't like the idea of "reissue of the year" either, if it were upto me I'd scrap it altogether and replace it band lifetime achievement award, so to qualify the band has to have a great legacy but still have had an awesome tour/release/major influence in 2012.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the album lifetime one is a bit vague.
    Kess, I like the reissue idea. My main problem with it is: are there really ta many reissues each year? I don't imagine there'd be too much to pick from. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

I prefer fewtinsoffroth's idea myself. Bands that have had classic albums and are still going strong. We should probably decide on a cut off point though. A band a few years old will hardly count.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the album lifetime one is a bit vague.
    Kess, I like the reissue idea. My main problem with it is: are there really ta many reissues each year? I don't imagine there'd be too much to pick from. Feel free to prove me wrong though!

I prefer fewtinsoffroth's idea myself. Bands that have had classic albums and are still going strong. We should probably decide on a cut off point though. A band a few years old will hardly count.

Classic Rock do a reissues review in every magazine and it generally is between three and seven pages long every month. So without even checking anywhere else there would be a few hundred reissues in the rock/metal genres reviewed by CR alone each year at the very least.

Have the most recent issue in front of me and there are 21 reissued albums reviewed in it (only counted proper reissued albums not greatest hits albums).

Classic Rock have 13 magazines a year, so my guess of a few hundred would most likely be pretty close to the mark, and that does not include reissues of more extreme bands that would not get into CR usually although I have seen reissues of albums from the likes of Carcass, Death, Obituary etc in CR.

That's showed me!

I'd be in favour of adding both if the majority of people are up for it.

Sounds good.

So what do you guys think the cut off point for the lifetime achievement award should be?
    The 25 years used last time definitely sums up a lifetime in the business. I think it'd be suitable for this as well

• Advertisement

20 years OR 6 albums I say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If we do 25 years, I have the perfect album in mind :pac:

20 years OR 6 albums I say.

I'd say go with the 20 years rather than number of albums.

Then the two new categories will be
    Best Reissued Album and Band Lifetime achievement Award (Have been around for 20 years and are still going strong).

Everyone happy with that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'd go with the years over the albums, some bands can release stuff nearly every year, so that can skew things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭few

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I'd say go with the 20 years rather than number of albums.

Then the two new categories will be
    Best Reissued Album and Band Lifetime achievement Award (Have been around for 20 years and are still going strong).

Everyone happy with that?

When does voting start?

Advertisement