Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin trawlers

• 25-11-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi my name is Stephen and I am 20 years old. I am looking for work on a fishing trawlers in Dublin. I have very little experience but I am a hard worker and willing to learn. I would be able to start straight away. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First thing you should do is get the BIM Basic Safety Training Card, this is issued when you pass a 3 day course in safety, cost is €150. If you have never been on a boat before you will be a danger to yourself and others around you, all fishing vessel crew members are required (S.I 587 of 2001) to under go basic safety training.

http://www.bim.ie/training/safetytraining/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stephen Matthews

Would there be anyway around getting this as I dont have that kind of money ?

M

Would there be anyway around getting this as I dont have that kind of money ?

It's the law so no legal way.

Ohh ok. Are you a skipper ?

M

Ohh ok. Are you a skipper ?

No.

Perhaps go down to Howth Harbour and ask around, could be possible though even with the qualification there's no berths, this time of the year with the bad weather there's not a whole heap of fishing going on.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Talk with BIM, and look into some of the training you can get. Lots of possibilities if you get yourself a good qualification. Id imagine its hard to get well paid deckhand work with the amount of non nationals in the industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Thats not meant to be a dig at non-nationals btw, so apologies if it came across that way

Advertisement