Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Of Living In Alberta (Calgary)?

Options
  • 25-11-2012 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i hope to go to Alberta in march (Calgary),i had been an apprentice electrician in Ireland but unfortunately iam unemployed now. I am waiting for a skills test run by Fas to get my cert. But unfortunately there is up to a 2 year wait to do it as there is a huge waiting list to do it.So my plan is to head to Calgary whenever i get my visa (i hope).And return to Ireland hopefully sometime nxt year when i get called for my skills test. I have heard the cost of liveing can be quite expensive so my question is if i was to get a job paying 20 dollers and hour 40 hours a week that be 800 dollers minus whatever tax will be?. Would that be enough to survive on?. Iam 23 s dont drink dont smoke:D. Bascially iam just tryna to deciede will i have enough to survive on if i want over as i have been on social welfare the last 3 weeks and i hate it and i dont fancy spending up to the next year or 2 on it. Thanks in advance ross:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hey guys i hope to go to Alberta in march (Calgary),i had been an apprentice electrician in Ireland but unfortunately iam unemployed now. I am waiting for a skills test run by Fas to get my cert. But unfortunately there is up to a 2 year wait to do it as there is a huge waiting list to do it.So my plan is to head to Calgary whenever i get my visa (i hope).And return to Ireland hopefully sometime nxt year when i get called for my skills test. I have heard the cost of liveing can be quite expensive so my question is if i was to get a job paying 20 dollers and hour 40 hours a week that be 800 dollers minus whatever tax will be?. Would that be enough to survive on?. Iam 23 s dont drink dont smoke:D. Bascially iam just tryna to deciede will i have enough to survive on if i want over as i have been on social welfare the last 3 weeks and i hate it and i dont fancy spending up to the next year or 2 on it. Thanks in advance ross:D

Really depends on how ya wanna live.

I'm in a big two bed for $1150 a month, but you could rent a room for much cheaper in a house share, check kijij.com

You can get a phone for as cheap at $30 a month of mobilicity, their service can be a bit patchy but it works with unlimited minutes and internet.

The transit pass is $90 a month, this'll cover all your bussing and c train.

Foods not too bad, we head to Walmart and $100 would cover feeding and the essentials for the two of us for the week.

As for working, look in the construction area but be weary of roofers. As an unskilled labourer you'll get $20 a hour, you'll work 50-80 a week, depends of the job and weather. If your skilled as a spark I'd recommend you follow that field. Look into sitting your journeyman qualification, they might let you.

Your total payslip tax will be about 29%. Take into account the free healthcare they give you, vat (gst) is only 5% and your car tax for the year is only $40.

All in all I'm living well here, we can afford to enjoy ourselves a bit. You might struggle for a bit but just be sensible and try to keep a bit of a rainy day fund goin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Really depends on how ya wanna live.

I'm in a big two bed for $1150 a month, but you could rent a room for much cheaper in a house share, check kijij.com

You can get a phone for as cheap at $30 a month of mobilicity, their service can be a bit patchy but it works with unlimited minutes and internet.

The transit pass is $90 a month, this'll cover all your bussing and c train.

Foods not too bad, we head to Walmart and $100 would cover feeding and the essentials for the two of us for the week.

As for working, look in the construction area but be weary of roofers. As an unskilled labourer you'll get $20 a hour, you'll work 50-80 a week, depends of the job and weather. If your skilled as a spark I'd recommend you follow that field. Look into sitting your journeyman qualification, they might let you.

Your total payslip tax will be about 29%. Take into account the free healthcare they give you, vat (gst) is only 5% and your car tax for the year is only $40.

All in all I'm living well here, we can afford to enjoy ourselves a bit. You might struggle for a bit but just be sensible and try to keep a bit of a rainy day fund goin.

Thanks very much tonto86 for your great reply,I would like to think iam a good electrician. i have 5 years done in the field i have my 7 phase for my apprenticeship done got all credits in me college exams. its just i only have 3 years and 6 months done as registered apprentice which means i short 6 months to make up the 4 years to allow me to get my cert:(:mad:. Fas are so black and white they wont allow me to count some of the year and and a half i did before i got registered its so annoying.
    But yea i would be hoping to get work as a labour. Really just to get working i feel all my friends are moving on an here i am stuck on the dole...what are your experiences of the locals do they take a liking to the Irish or are we hated over there?i am traveling solo do you think its handy enough to mix with people?:D Thanks for Comment man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

There's some brilliant groups on Facebook..Irish in Calgary..that is really helpful. I'm heading over myself as well.There seem to be a lot of Irish there and there are nights organised regularly. Best advice I've gotten is to get out there and do everything as cheaply as you can until you get settled money wise.

Why did you work 18 months before being registered? Sounds like your employer was taking the piss.

Advertisement