Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus Laptop, HDMI cable and Samsung TV qn

Options
  • 25-11-2012 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some help please.
    I have my asus laptop hooked up to my Samsung TV using a HDMI cable.
    The picture is prefect but the sound is only coming from the laptop and not the TV!

In Control Panel on my laptop when I look into what's going on it says the speakers are working but the HDMI sound is not plugged in.

I've updated all drivers and still no sound is coming through the tv.

Does anyone know HOW I can switch on this setting so that my tv will play sound in addition to the visual?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

try disabling the on board sound...I had to do this with an old Radeon laptop GPU that i had to do that.. also make sure the cable is in properly too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Or different ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Tried both of your suggestions but no luck.
    When I go into control panel>hardware and sound>sound>playback it says that my speakers are my default device and they are Realtek High Definition Audio and they are enabled. This makes sense as the sound comes from the laptop when it's hooked up to the tv.

On the same screen it says that the Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definition Audio Device is not plugged in. When I right click the only options I have are "disable", "show disabled devices", "show disconnected devices", "About Software MIDI Synthesizer" and "Properties". I can't set it as the default device as this option is greyed out.

Basically I don't know HOW to change this from "not plugged in" to plugged in!!

Or is there a way I could use that Realtek High Definition Audio that runs my speakers and somehow get that to cause the sound to go through the TV??

The HDMI cable is perfect as I have tested it on other devices and it's fine.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try updating both the sound and video card drivers. It is actually the video card driver that controls the HDMI audio, as distinct from the sound card

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

HDMI port is a different output to the speakers - all you need to is switch to the right output and sound will be switched to the HDMI port.

• Advertisement

HDMI port is a different output to the speakers - all you need to is switch to the right output and sound will be switched to the HDMI port.

Thanks. How do I do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just try the different outputs in sound that you were in - sometimes its not obvious which one it is.

Nothing's working! Picture is perfect but still no sound coming through to tv..it's coming from speakers on laptop. Not allowing me to change default to HDMI audio. Argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have you tested it with another TV? This will help confirm if it is the TV or the laptop that is at fault,.

Worst case the TV probably has a TV (monitor 15 pin) connector. You would need a monitor lead and a totally seperate 3.5mm to 3.5mm (headphone to headphone) lead for the sound. , assuming your laptop has that connector.

Advertisement